Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Would it be sacrilegious not to pick religious ideas as the pope? Is it even worse to go humanist? He just doesn't seem to need the religious bonuses, and I've just really fallen in love with humanism as of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

THE BAR posted:

Would it be sacrilegious not to pick religious ideas as the pope? Is it even worse to go humanist? He just doesn't seem to need the religious bonuses, and I've just really fallen in love with humanism as of late.

There were a few humanist popes during the Renaissance, you're all good.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

at the date posted:

There were a few humanist popes during the Renaissance, you're all good.

But when you're also trying to brute-vassalize the old knightly orders and take back Jerusalem..

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
What are the Italian provinces needed to avoid Shadow Empire, and what is the deadline? All sources I see can't seem to agree.

Also, did they change the numbers for the Burgundian succession event? I've seen Burgundy lose three wars (one against me) so far and no luck yet.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sephyr posted:

Also, did they change the numbers for the Burgundian succession event? I've seen Burgundy lose three wars (one against me) so far and no luck yet.

Burgundy was WINNING a war against France in my current run and the event still fired.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Why is the improve relations bonus so important? Doesn't it just make improving relations go a bit faster? Always seemed like one of the more useless bonuses to me, but the way you people talk about it in this thread it's one of the most valuable.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mr. Fowl posted:

Why is the improve relations bonus so important? Doesn't it just make improving relations go a bit faster? Always seemed like one of the more useless bonuses to me, but the way you people talk about it in this thread it's one of the most valuable.

They buffed it so it also makes aggressive expansion decay more quickly.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

It makes ALL the negative opinion modifiers tick down faster. Insults, aggressive expansion, broken marriage - it adds up immensely.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yeah if you're in Europe improve relations is the most important thing there is.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

THE BAR posted:

It makes ALL the negative opinion modifiers tick down faster. Insults, aggressive expansion, broken marriage - it adds up immensely.

Wait, whaaat :aaaaa:

I wish I would had known that for my current turbohitler Prussia game.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Angry Lobster posted:

Wait, whaaat :aaaaa:

I wish I would have known that in my current turbohitler Prussia game.

Yeah, they fused it together with Better Relations Over Time fairly recently when they realized that Improve Relations was such a hilariously useless modifier otherwise.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So does that mean that Diplomatic ideas has a bit of an edge over influence ideas now--or is that immediate Aggressive Expansion discount too valuable when combined with the diplo annex bonus?

More just an issue of which to take first?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mr. Fowl posted:

So does that mean that Diplomatic ideas has a bit of an edge over influence ideas now--or is that immediate Aggressive Expansion discount too valuable when combined with the diplo annex bonus?

More just an issue of which to take first?
A couple people were discussing it a few pages ago. I think the general consensus is that Diplo is slightly better, unless you are in a situation where you are going to be doing a lot of diploannexing or are in the HRE, in which case you want both.

I personally feel that Diplo's extra diplomat (useful with the automated diplomat stuff especially), a 10% Diplo tech cost discount (free MP, essentially), cheaper province warscore costs in peace deals (take more land or take land + more things with less warscore), and cheaper War Exhaustion Reduction (situationally useful, by no means world-beating though), which I think beats out envoy travel time, vassal forcelimit contribution, 25% vassal income, and .5 Prestige + bonus heir chance.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 28, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

A couple people were discussing it a few pages ago. I think the general consensus is that Diplo is slightly better, unless you are in a situation where you are going to be doing a lot of diploannexing or are in the HRE, in which case you want both.

I personally feel that Diplo's extra diplomat (useful with the automated diplomat stuff especially), a 10% Diplo tech cost discount (free MP, essentially), cheaper province warscore costs in peace deals (take more land or take land + more things with less warscore), and cheaper War Exhaustion Reduction (situationally useful, by no means world-beating though), which I think beats out envoy travel time, vassal forcelimit contribution, 25% vassal income, and .5 Prestige + bonus heir chance.

otoh later in the game you often have to spend as much (or more) diplo points on peace deals than you do admin points on coring, so the -50% unjustified demands from Influence is really great

I would agree in general, though. Diplomatic is slightly better unless you plan on doing significant diplo-annexation or dealing with the HRE.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

otoh later in the game you often have to spend as much (or more) diplo points on peace deals than you do admin points on coring, so the -50% unjustified demands from Influence is really great

I would agree in general, though. Diplomatic is slightly better unless you plan on doing significant diplo-annexation or dealing with the HRE.
Thats why the Imperialism CB is so great - no diplo costs for unjustified provinces, you just take what you want. But yeah I did fail to mention that Unjustified Demands can be really great in terms of saving diplo points in peace deals.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Been away for a few patches and coming back to finally knock out a world conquest. Coptoman is, I assume, still the way to go rather than Orthoman or any non-kebab start?

Change in the religion group seems a little annoying.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Been away for a few patches and coming back to finally knock out a world conquest. Coptoman is, I assume, still the way to go rather than Orthoman or any non-kebab start?

Change in the religion group seems a little annoying.

France to Prussia is maybe the least frustrating WC last I checked, though it requires some actual work early (in exchange for a breeze later), but Coptoman is still really good.

Absolutism is the new poo poo to abuse in WC so read up on it a bit.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Dance Officer posted:

I wouldn't say that everything post-common sense is bad. Or that things were better before. Conquest of paradise, wealth of nations and el dorado are all older dlc that I think don't should have cost more than $10 or so. These, along with cossacks, mare nostrum, mandate of heaven and now third rome are really just small add-ons to flesh out certain regions or things.

So, just to make sure I'm getting this, the DLC to buy are:

Art of War, Rights of Man, and Common Sense for everyone
The rest if you're interested in certain play styles or regions?

Just trying to understand what's worthwhile since Steam reviews are a trash heap for EU4 :shrug:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, those are the most important ones.

Almost every expansion has a few things that are helpful globally, but those three are almost entirely composed of stuff that is.

IMO: Rights of Man > Art of War > Common Sense. Unless you wanna play outside of Europe, in which case Common Sense is the most important because of 1 feature. Then a ways after, Cossacks > Mandate of Heaven but both are pretty decent; for a newcomer though their features are maybe gonna be more confusing than necessary. After those, the rest.

Honorable mention to El Dorado though- it comes with a custom nation designer which does basically what you'd expect, so if that appeals to you then it works works pretty well. They just updated it again in the last patch even.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's hard to remember what tiny things also come with dlc. like wealth of nations gives reformed their stuff, and either el dorado or conquest of paradise has the hindu stuff maybe. you need mare nostrum for dip > mercantilism and rights of man to strengthen government

and then the wiki doesn't really make it clear what comes in the expansion and what was part of the simultaneous free patch. i think hunt for the seven cities needs el dorado though and that's a lot of small cool free stuff from events

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
was reformed in Wealth of Nations too? I'm pretty sure it's the one that has Hindu stuff. Then it also has privateers (although maybe anothet expansion added that too?) trade companies and trade capitals, all of which are pretty useful. If you wanna do a trade game it's a pretty helpful expansion.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
WoN had both the Hindu and Reformed stuff

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh yeah that's the hindu one. and it also has dynamic province names, the most important feature of all to really feel powerful

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm having an issue. I'm playing as Castille for my my second attempt at a first game, and I feel like I'm just sitting here waiting around. I have some diplomats out trying to get Argon to stop being mean, and raise some relations, I have advisors, and am waiting for the slow crawl of monarch points to build up so I can tech up. What can I be doing besides the waiting for the truce with Granada to end so I can reconquista them?

Edit: I've been building light ships to try and gain some more trade power in relevant nodes, and I embargoed Morocco to cut them out of Seville.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 29, 2017

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm having an issue. I'm playing as Castille for my my second attempt at a first game, and I feel like I'm just sitting here waiting around. I have some diplomats out trying to get Argon to stop being mean, and raise some relations, I have advisors, and am waiting for the slow crawl of monarch points to build up so I can tech up. What can I be doing besides the waiting for the truce with Granada to end so I can reconquista them?

Fabricate a claim on France and fight then for it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Fabricate a claim on France and fight then for it.

Even I know that is stupid, but thank you.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

fabricate a claim on england and fight then for it

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
no CB the ottomans

e: serious answer, as castile you wanna be gunning towards exploring the new world. you might have a bit of downtime between truces before you get exploration, but after that you should have plenty to do.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
What did I expect, I guess. Never change goons :allears:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

royal marry burgundy but don't ally them so you can get those sweet sweet low countries when the duke dies. the duke might not die though

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

oddium posted:

royal marry burgundy but don't ally them so you can get those sweet sweet low countries when the duke dies. the duke might not die though

just replay the first 50 years of the game endlessly until you get it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

:hai:

e: and once you do get the netherlands...........

oddium fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 29, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I hear you all like pretty borders and painting maps. Allow me to show you all my...art.

Whenever playing a Daimyo comes up, people usually jump to how best to unite Japan. But where's the fun in that? Having a ton of daimyos gets really powerful, and it's not really that hard to keep most of them loyal enough, especially when combined with the tributary ability to effectively pay ducats for prestige (especially broken if you tributary native OPMs which end up costing like 30 ducats for 5 prestige on demand). I really can't explain how useful it is having the pick of like 10 different generals for free, let alone just being able to just release vassals with no real downside. It's also pretty entertaining seeing them fight each other for my amusement/turn all of their lands into wastelands at like 90+% devastation.

A note about the pain in the rear end that put me off from this campaign for a while: The Ming. I've been completely ignoring them ever since I managed some diplomatic BS that got me away from being their tributary. I'm pretending their lands don't exist because there's no way I could ever actually defeat them as of now, and even if I could, it would be an unfun slog. I allied them briefly, but even being on their side drains the fun away since it gets rid of any real challenge. They're broken, and they ruin a lot of cool and fun mechanics in this region.

But on to other things

:tif:

As a note, I have a path from the southern tip of India to Constantinople that's pretty much all one province across. It's hideouswonderful. Russia (seen extending a bit into my tributary Persia) looks big and scary, but they're a paper tiger right now since I trashed them in my glorious war with The Ottomans and will probably get destroyed pretty soon, which is a shame considering it's Novgorod-formed Russia.

And finally Europe. Which I had nothing at all to do with whatsoever. I mean, I tributaried Kildare, but they didn't exactly need my help since they were allied to England just fine. Special shoutout to independent Normandy. Say, i should probably tributary them before France eats them again. ...Wait a minute, what's that modifier?

I think Europe might be broken.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

oddium posted:

:hai:

e: and once you do get the netherlands...........

Crimea River :golfclap:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Lagnar posted:

Sadly the Wallachia start is, at least in my experience, far more difficult then Moldavia. Get Independence from Poland and take enough provinces in the same war to border Silesia. (Again, got lucky this run and didnt join the HRE). How to start as Wallachia I wouldent even know. Get an alliance with Hungary and hope the Otto's dont declare on you I guess.

Update: Constantinople is mine, time to crush the rest of the Ottoman Balkans. About 100 years left, should be able to do it without issue, hopefully.

What's that map mod? I like it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ok, I took all the land provinces from Venice, then Ancona, Urbino, Romagna, Umbria and Rome. All to stop the Shadow Kingdom as Emperor. Very high AE, but manageable. Do I have to hold all of them until 1490, or can I release Rome (just got the pop-up) to keep all of Christendom from hating me forever?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
You should be able to pop a decision that adds them to the empire, once they're in the empire you're home free and it doesn't matter what country they belong to.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
How does anyone do a world conquest? Once you're in a good position it's like 100 wars' worth of busywork... I just end up looking at the save and closing the game in disgust.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Redmark posted:

How does anyone do a world conquest? Once you're in a good position it's like 100 wars' worth of busywork... I just end up looking at the save and closing the game in disgust.

It took me a lot of games of getting close to do it. And then maybe a few weeks of plunking away to finish it, for the cheevos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Redmark posted:

A high tolerance for tedium.

Honestly, I have the same issue with like, Najdi Jihad.

I still want to do a Byzantine -> Reform Rome game, but I know it'd take a bunch of aborted attempts and take forever.

• Locked thread