Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/880061415620583426

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

????

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it should be "all of the above," but considering how they love to hand out suspensions for so much as a hacky "white genocide" joke, this makes sense. that vox article comparing fb and twitter to 4chan when it should be a moderated forum like here (yes, SA was the example he gave) is worth a read
only 3% of democrats have a negative view of bernie sanders, hence my why i call them that. presumably many of them believe in interpreting harry potter like the bible

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

it should be "all of the above," but considering how they love to hand out suspensions for so much as a hacky "white genocide" joke, this makes sense. that vox article comparing fb and twitter to 4chan when it should be a moderated forum like here (yes, SA was the example he gave) is worth a read

it's because Facebook moderation policy uses an arcane formula that makes hate speech ok as long as you direct it towards a subgroup of a protected class instead of the whole thing

https://www.propublica.org/article/facebook-hate-speech-censorship-internal-documents-algorithms

it owns

quote:

The reason is that Facebook deletes curses, slurs, calls for violence and several other types of attacks only when they are directed at “protected categories”—based on race, sex, gender identity, religious affiliation, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation and serious disability/disease. It gives users broader latitude when they write about “subsets” of protected categories. White men are considered a group because both traits are protected, while female drivers and black children, like radicalized Muslims, are subsets, because one of their characteristics is not protected.

race, gender, and nationality are protected but age and activity are not, and if one part of the statement is unprotected then the whole thing is. so like it'd be perfectly fine to post 8000 words about perfidious Jew bankers because banking is not a protected activity, but people have been censored for saying that white dudes are nuts

the bitcoin of weed has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Jun 28, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

only 3% of democrats have a negative view of bernie sanders, hence my why i call them that. presumably many of them believe in interpreting harry potter like the bible

Seems like there's a new name for neolibs every month.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the bitcoin of weed posted:

so like it'd be perfectly fine to post 8000 words about perfidious Jew bankers because banking is not a protected activity, but people have been censored for saying that white dudes are nuts

:wow:

holy lol that poo poo is amazing. I wonder how up-to-date facebook's racist slang detection algorithms are. would they pick up old-timey slang like moon crickets or fetchits (from step and fetch it) or are they mostly calibrated around contemporary hate speech?

see because crickets from the moon aren't a protect class so

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/mashable/status/879767370235092992

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Link to Vox article?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the bitcoin of weed posted:

it's because Facebook moderation policy uses an arcane formula that makes hate speech ok as long as you direct it towards a subgroup of a protected class instead of the whole thing
believing that magical algorithms can do everything better than a human can is the height of silicon valley arrogance. a better idea would be to hire a bunch of moderators and pay them money to deal with reported comments on a case-by-case basis, but then again, muh profit margins

super sweet best pal posted:

simpler is better, but i like how that percentage lines up with those insane 3%er militias
for people who believe that their politics are "realistic" and "grown-up," neolibs are acting increasingly like whiny stubborn children. womens' rights advocates have gone on for a long time without resorting to cosplay

Zeris posted:

Link to Vox article?
here ya go

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Protesting to support reproductive rights is pretty good. As long as they don't get TERFy about it I don't see the problem.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ruzihm posted:

Protesting to support reproductive rights is pretty good. As long as they don't get TERFy about it I don't see the problem.
the problem is that it requires the target of their protest to get what piece of pop culture they're referencing. if you go to a state capitol building cosplaying as a handmaiden, you're going to look stupid, which detracts from the message you're trying to convey. reproductive rights advocates have protested for decades without treating it like comiccon

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I mean it's fine but Handmaid's Tale sucks and "the resistance" sucks and this all doesn't matter.

PP is working against single payer in CA despite how great it would be for womens health gently caress these people.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

the problem is that it requires the target of their protest to get what piece of pop culture they're referencing. if you go to a state capitol building cosplaying as a handmaiden, you're going to look stupid, which detracts from the message you're trying to convey. reproductive rights advocates have protested for decades without treating it like comiccon

Your premise is right but I don't think I agree with your conclusion. I guess my perspective is that the outfits very obviously refer (via Handmaid's Tale) to puritans' outfits, so to me they work very well even without knowledge of a Handmaid's Tale. I think as long as they have signs or other chants that don't make sense without Handmaid's Tale knowledge, they're fine.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

imo, the simpler the better

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
People take their politics as seriously as they take their television.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

+Game of Thrones+A Handmaids Tale+DC/Marvel Cinematic Universe

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

game of thrones references only become as common on the internet as harry potter ones when there's a new season going on

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

for people who believe that their politics are "realistic" and "grown-up," neolibs are acting increasingly like whiny stubborn children. womens' rights advocates have gone on for a long time without resorting to cosplay

It was a stupid comedy bit, but it's one that has stuck with me.

Sam Bee was cosplaying as if she was in the "The Man in the High Castle" universe after a Trump presidency, which included her witnessing George Takai getting kidnapped and her crying tears of joy upon seeing highlights of Hilary giving presidential speeches.

Like...I had a grandmother that actually would tell me stories about what Nazi Germany was like. She'd tell me about how she'd see neighbors shot for refusing to turn over Jewish employees, and as it turns out (in a story that she would only tell her direct children) she was actually taken in and questioned by the nazi's because she knew english. (Her father moved to Germany before the nazis, from America of all things)

I am completely disgusted when people try to put themselves on the cross with this sort of poo poo. You are not being oppressed. These people exist in privileged classes and very rarely have to worry about "actual" oppression. Do not get me wrong on this. "Oppression" is a problem in the USA, it just doesn't effect people who identify with the white Bourgeoisie version of "The Resistance".

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I guess they should just play Xbox.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
they could just actually get angry

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

taqueso posted:

I guess they should just play Xbox.
Well, either way they're just entertaining themselves, so it's kinda six the one, half-dozen the other.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Sam Bee was cosplaying as if she was in the "The Man in the High Castle" universe after a Trump presidency, which included her witnessing George Takai getting kidnapped and her crying tears of joy upon seeing highlights of Hilary giving presidential speeches.

Like...I had a grandmother that actually would tell me stories about what Nazi Germany was like. She'd tell me about how she'd see neighbors shot for refusing to turn over Jewish employees, and as it turns out (in a story that she would only tell her direct children) she was actually taken in and questioned by the nazi's because she knew english. (Her father moved to Germany before the nazis, from America of all things)

I am completely disgusted when people try to put themselves on the cross with this sort of poo poo. You are not being oppressed. These people exist in privileged classes and very rarely have to worry about "actual" oppression. Do not get me wrong on this. "Oppression" is a problem in the USA, it just doesn't effect people who identify with the white Bourgeoisie version of "The Resistance".

It comes across really bad with celebrities because there is no way Trump goes Full Hitler enough that you can't buy your way out of it

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

It comes across really bad with celebrities because there is no way Trump goes Full Hitler enough that you can't buy your way out of it

People like Bee and others in this hashtag movement can say whatever they want with little to no repercussions.

The same cannot be said about people who live in deep red states or say, people protesting at standing rock. But those people do not exist to a lot of the dipshits cosplaying as the "oppressed". (Well they "do" but only in a manner when they're finger wagging at someone for "cultural appropriation". The culture of these people matter, but the people themselves? Well they're poo poo out of luck).

It just reminds me of seeing Christians pretending that they were being oppressed for their beliefs because they had to bake a cake for a gay person. Naw dude. People are actually DYING for their faith in several countries. Get off the cross.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

super sweet best pal posted:

they're like snakes like voldimert, slipping from one term to another trying to outrun their constituents realizing how lovely they are

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Andrei Dorkovsky posted:

they could just actually get angry

That's the problem so many Americans are convinced anger doesn't have a place in politics that it should be about compromise and "common sense solution." Because Americans are loving dumb. It's like the picture from over of these #Resistence protests the guy had the sign that says "If Hiliary won, we'd be at brunch right now." And that's the loving problem

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ruzihm posted:

thats why at every rally to protest against injustice i cosplay as sean connery from zardoz

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

there's a major difference between sam bee and john oliver doing a stupid, unfunny sketch and people actually acting it out. granted, one hand washes the other

KomradeX posted:

That's the problem so many Americans are convinced anger doesn't have a place in politics that it should be about compromise and "common sense solution." Because Americans are loving dumb.
are you sure about that? that's still the MO of many democrats in charge, but it's a much harder sell among the voting public. ossoff lost because he compromised his original stance of making trump furious and toned down his rhetoric to attract the mythical moderate republicans that believe in that crap and paid dearly for it

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 21:17 on Jun 28, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

as stupid as the anonymous masks are they at least get the point across. i haven't read the handmaiden's tale but from what these women are wearing to the protests I assume it's about selling honey sticks and baked goods out of a shack in pennsylvania?

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Handmaid's Tale is super good. Peggy fuckin' rules in it, and it absolute depicts the logical endpoint of a conservative christian theocratic state.

The fact we're even talking about these protests shows their attention-grabbing effectiveness, and the costumes directly relate to the issues they're confronting (versus harry potter the wizard boy). Plus it's fun to dress up. Why be dicks about it?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Handmaid's Tale is super good. Peggy fuckin' rules in it, and it absolute depicts the logical endpoint of a conservative christian theocratic state.

The fact we're even talking about these protests shows their attention-grabbing effectiveness, and the costumes directly relate to the issues they're confronting (versus harry potter the wizard boy). Plus it's fun to dress up. Why be dicks about it?

we're not talking about the protests, we're talking about how retarded these protesters look

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Women protesting for increased access to healthcare, opportunities, etc are good. That's a sign of a (mostly) free society. They're "right" in doing so.

Privileged "Woke" idiots cosplaying like they're in a dystopian novel/nazi germany is bad.

there's a major difference between sam bee and john oliver doing a stupid, unfunny sketch and people actually acting it out. granted, one hand washes the other

Yeah and that is kinda my problem. It feeds into some unneeded hysteria while ignoring real problems people actually face.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

KomradeX posted:

That's the problem so many Americans are convinced anger doesn't have a place in politics that it should be about compromise and "common sense solution." Because Americans are loving dumb. It's like the picture from over of these #Resistence protests the guy had the sign that says "If Hiliary won, we'd be at brunch right now." And that's the loving problem
You know, I was just thinking the problem with politics today is that it's not vitriolic enough.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Almost everyone with the power and influence to have a national platform, like Sam Bee, almost certainly isnt oppressed by any realistic standard, so everything they do is kind of a hollow mockery of real activism because thats as close as they can get.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Handmaid's Tale themed protests are like Hamilton themed protests: the only people who will get the reference are those in demographics already saturated with anti-Trumpers.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Not a Step posted:

Almost everyone with the power and influence to have a national platform, like Sam Bee, almost certainly isnt oppressed by any realistic standard, so everything they do is kind of a hollow mockery of real activism because thats as close as they can get.

Isn't Sam Bee the one who successfully fought against racial integration for her own child's school?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The fact we're even talking about these protests shows their attention-grabbing effectiveness
you say this like people didn't talk about similar, non-cosplay protests in recent years in texas, wisconsin, and north carolina, regardless of how ineffectual they ended up being

and the costumes directly relate to the issues they're confronting (versus harry potter the wizard boy).
only if the people they're protesting against get the reference. considering that many of the people they're trying to get the attention of are some degree of theocrat, i bet you that they don't

Plus it's fun to dress up.
i'm a fan of the emma goldman quote "if i can't dance, i don't want to be part of your revolution," but there's a fine line between having fun and looking like a moron in doing so. these protests would be just as effective if the people involved didn't treat it like an anime convention

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Handmaid's Tale themed protests are like Hamilton themed protests: the only people who will get the reference are those in demographics already saturated with anti-Trumpers.

Yeah they need to bring it to a level that resonates with more people, like harry potter.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

taqueso posted:

Yeah they need to bring it to a level that resonates with more people, like harry potter.

"The BLM protesters dressing up as Rainbow Dash made me look at what is actually happening within the black community, as a professor of African American studies I can't thank them enough"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

dress up in a fursuit for animal rights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Isn't Sam Bee the one who successfully fought against racial integration for her own child's school?

not sure if it was successful, but she sure did fight against it