Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Steve Yun posted:

Okja is a movie of insane imagery.

I might make a thread later today to stop clogging this thread up

Explain please I am movie dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

Explain please I am movie dumb

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okja is really great. Go in blind.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Anyone got a trip report on Okja? On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Cannibal Holocaust and 10 is My Neighbor Totoro, how cute is it?

Both.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Gonna eat SPAM n eggs while i watch Okja

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I rewatched There Will Be Blood and reaffirmed that it's probably my favorite Daniel Day-Lewis film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rad Valtar posted:

I rewatched There Will Be Blood and reaffirmed that it's probably my favorite Daniel Day-Lewis film.

Oh yea, definitely. The intensity is on the same level as something like Gangs of New York except this time channeled into an actual fully formed character in a movie that's basically a character study. I haven't seen My Left Foot but I can't imagine a non-verbal performance is as good as the one in There Will Be Blood.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

Gonna eat SPAM n eggs while i watch Okja

I hope you don't share a bathroom with anyone :v:

Nah but for real, fried Spam + well done scrambled eggs, add Worcestershire sauce while cooking, let it cool a bit then add raw red onion, red/green/yellow peppers, bacon crumbles, diced tomato and stuff it all into a pita shell, now that's good eatin

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okja thread here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825190

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mr. Maltose posted:

The Wraith is probably the oft unseen pinnacle of 80's good bad films. It's loving nuts.

I actually own it on DVD just for the commentary track.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My take away from this thread is that spam is good if you add about 50 other things to it to mask the spam.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm only 20 minutes in but Clifford the big grey pig looks like cgi from the early 2000's Star Wars prequels.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

My take away from this thread is that spam is good if you add about 50 other things to it to mask the spam.

Is "heat" 50 other things? I thought it was just one. The consensus is to fry it.

Plain eggs are pretty boring and bad, too. Are you also going to be intentionally ignorant about those, too? What about raw beef? Lettuce? Rice? Any other things that go better with other things versus alone and uncooked?

THIS INGREDIENT TASTES BAD UNCOOKED BY ITSELF is not a valid argument you loving goon.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Is "heat" 50 other things? I thought it was just one. The consensus is to fry it.

The consensus is to not eat Spam.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Looks like Netflix added The Stanford Prison Experiment, it's a real solid docudrama.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The consensus is to not eat Spam.

As a Marine I have eaten tons of Spam on deployments. I use to find a fried spam sandwich with tons of mustard ok. That said I am the devil, and I would rather eat potted meat than Spam.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Okja was kind of disappointing. Whoah, the meat industry has some issues, really blowing our minds with that message your 20 years late on.

Next feature really send us for a loop about how firearms might be questionable, or have you heard about these things called drugs?! They might be harmful!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
How much different is Okja from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088760/ ?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

coyo7e posted:

For some reason all these years, I thought that Steve Gutenberg was in that.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is way too much going on in Okja to characterize it as a simplistic critique or exposé of the meat industry.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

coyo7e posted:

Holy poo poo is this streaming anywhere? I totally watched that movie on repeat daily when I was a really little kid.

Actually, probably best if I just leave it as a memory. Last time something from my childhood popped up years and years later on the Internet I had to come face to face with the fact that Mac and Me was an actually bad movie that had been brainwashing me the entire time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Okja was kind of disappointing. Whoah, the meat industry has some issues, really blowing our minds with that message your 20 years late on.

Next feature really send us for a loop about how firearms might be questionable, or have you heard about these things called drugs?! They might be harmful!

clearly the filmmakers didn't count on how smart you are

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BrainDance posted:

Actually, probably best if I just leave it as a memory. Last time something from my childhood popped up years and years later on the Internet I had to come face to face with the fact that Mac and Me was an actually bad movie that had been brainwashing me the entire time.

I had heard Mac and Me was terrible for the last few decades, and all I could remember was that I had seen it once as a child.

I caught it about 6 weeks ago on Comet, and yeah, I'm shocked it never got a sequel

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

clearly the filmmakers didn't count on how smart you are

Do they ever?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BrainDance posted:

Ummm, actually I think you'll find that Mac and Me is cool and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hykhlKWD9dY

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

It's funny and surprising that the yuppie kid in glow actually ends up pretty likeable.

So far (halfway through) they're doing a good job showing some redeeming side to everyone. Nobody's all bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For some reason in the movie I'm watching, Amazon streaming's subtitles mistranslated the word "dick" into "kike" just now. Classy.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

BrainDance posted:

Holy poo poo is this streaming anywhere? I totally watched that movie on repeat daily when I was a really little kid.

I also loved Baby when I was little, then didn't see it again for about 30 years. Earlier this year, I found a bluray copy at a used book store, so I grabbed it for a dose of nostalgia. I feel that it actually holds up pretty well; the effects are dated, of course, but still serviceable, the story works, and the acting is pretty good. The only thing that aged poorly was the casual jingoism, but that's to be expected.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Call Me Charlie posted:

Night Of The Living Dead remake is on Shudder. It scared me to death as a kid but it does lose something being in HD instead of a low-fi VHS. Even with all it's flaws, it's a fantastic movie for getting across the idea of why zombies are terrifying. They're slow. Weak. Stupid. You can run right past them. You can maybe even fight off a group once you get use to the idea of being around lumbering flesh eaters. Yet, no matter what you do, there's always more and they never stop working towards their singular goal.

All three of the group's ideas on how to survive worked but most of them died because they were overwhelmed with fear and couldn't agree on a plan. Alot of the terror came from the characters being confronted with their loved ones dying, coming at them as zombies or the horrific gory aftermath of death.

Also there's something hilarious about the idea of these dumb good ol' boys having fun as the cities and society go to hell. What would be a nightmare scenario to the average person is an excuse to shoot their guns and drink beer while hanging out their buddies.

Savini's remake was awesome. I don't get all the hate.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Savini's remake was awesome. I don't get all the hate.

I blame Cooper. The actor played it way over the top and his weird 50s dialogue stuck out like a sore thumb.

Savini's apparently directing a remake of Nightmare City so that should be interesting to see.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I appreciate the whole Netflix Disney deal because they're not movies I'm going to see in theaters, but stuff like Moana is exactly what I want on a day when I'm cleaning and want an excuse to stop.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 30, 2017

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I really loved the Polynesian music vibe in Moana, all the flashes of the huge kon tiki boats...I thought it was pretty rousing.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Moana was loving phenomenal, and was definitely better than Zootopia, which took the Oscar for Best Animated Film.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Moana is actually a film I let the kids loop. It's amazing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Moana is probably best of the modern Disney movies. I haven't gotten sick of the songs either, even with it being played over and over.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I am glad Moana is on Netflix now. I've been needing to watch it again to see what I missed the first time. I think I saw a different movie completely the first time; while everyone I've talked to about it has said it was a masterpiece, all I saw was a decent movie with catchy music and the usual amount of Disney film-making cliches minus the obvious one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm really tired every single Disney film having the exact same story. Moana was fine. Really no complaints, but I didn't feel like there was too much about it that was remarkable. The crab song was good.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Disney is too afraid to simply entertain a child anymore, every film has to have a message. Messages that teach kids lessons are fine, but not every single movie you put out has to have a life lesson.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched like 20 minutes of the Red Pill documentary on Amazon while I was eating lunch. One of their public figures is a big fat dude with most of his front teeth missing. He is speaking in front of a large audience while wearing a Polo shirt with a huge prominent liquid spill on it and he is wearing an unbuttoned Hawaiian shirt over the polo shirt. You can't make this stuff up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
If you have Amazon Prime I recommend checking out We Are Still Here. It's a fun little Fulchi-esque (or so I'm told) horror movie about an older couple who moves into a New England house that has ghosts. I'd compare it to Ouija: Origin of Evil in that it doesn't reinvent the wheel or anything but it's pretty solid and doesn't overstay it's welcome. Also Barbara Crampton and Larry Fessenden are in it.