Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Palpek posted:

Don't get me wrong, your idea comes from the right place and your positive attitude and unwithering belief in people is very valuable in this place. While I'm no pesimist myself I sometimes have to call things for what they are and we've both seen too much evidence of how unintrospective and misguided some people can be for that thread to work.

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and say please Do Not make that thread. Push the thought out of your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Playing Morrowind in the modern day is refreshing because it takes gamers back to a time when games didn't hold their hand for every little thing while whispering in their ear how special they are. I didn't play it until 2014 or so and I was blown away by how it treats the player. I had forgotten what the old games were like. I joined the mages guild early and trying to imagine those novice quests being put into a new game in tyool 2017 is just incredibly lol.

Mages Guild Quest 1: "Oh you're my new intern? Greeaaat. Go across the street and buy me a bowl you idiot"

*Quickly returns* "I got the bowl, boss!"

Mages Guild Quest 2: "Already? Fine, I need some flowers or whatever, go find some. No I'm not giving you directions. Jesus just stay out there longer this time"

And this progressed until you became a valued member at a pace that was organic and natural. You climbed the ranks. Compare it to Skyrim where nobody will stop gushing about how awesome you are from minute 1 and you become guild leader in like four quests. I also really appreciated the lack of a quest marker. Getting quest directions that were like "ok, start from this town and make your way north on the road. When it forks, take the road east until it crests a hill then look northest for the den" was HELLA COOL. Because you actually followed roads and checked out your environment and actually explored the world. Much better than beelining to a pre-marked destination and playing Cliff Horse Reloaded to get there.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 28, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

skyrim novice mage quest: help me explore this ruin next door and find an incredibly powerful magical artifact that no one in the past 4000 years has noticed for some reason

morrowind novice mage quest: help me cheat to win a bet

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I've been holding in a lot about gg so I'm just going to let it all out there right now!

I'm wrestling with some insecurity issues in my life but thank you all for playing with me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

That's Yoshi

Baby Mario is also in the game.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

A crystalis remake would be neat.

As long as it's a proper remake and not whatever they're doing with FF7.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

As long as it's a proper remake and not whatever they're doing with FF7.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Can also be said about the FFVII remake itself.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The last time I tried to talk poo poo about the FF7 remake, someone jumped down my throat for not being up to speed on all the cool stuff they were doing with it.

Since then, I saw my roommate play FF15, and I'm not convinced that splitting FF7 into 3 games as lovely as FF15 and releasing one per decade starting in 2020 is gonna somehow be awesome.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's weird because they've done nothing with it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I dunno, people are really sensitive about criticizing the absolutely terrible modern FF game design. FF7 isn't a perfect game but I don't see how replacing the good classic turn-based combat with bad boring combat will improve it. And I don't know for a fact that they're going to quadruple the amount of dialogue, but it seems like a safe bet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm glad the FF7 remake has been delayed until the dementia will have really set in and I'll be able to experience it for the first time... for the second time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We've seen so little of the FF7 remake there's no point in judging either way unless you're the sort of person to get mad because they're going to change stuff.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lurdiak posted:

good classic turn-based combat

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
they're just going to release two episodes and then cancel the third due to disappointing sales

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just lol if you try to act like turn-based RPG combat is bad but FF13/15's garbage is good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF7 had the most boring generic JRPG combat ever so I dunno why people are sad to see it go.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

FF7 had the most boring generic JRPG combat ever so I dunno why people are sad to see it go.

The worst opinion ever, immortalized here for all to see.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He is a paid add-on. Not kidding

"The POWER PACKS will be available this August for a suggested retail price of $2.99 each."

instead of a monopoly crossover, they should be doing an arkham crossover

i'm not sure how well it would move but i bet you it'd do at least moderately well

Chomp8645 posted:

I also really appreciated the lack of a quest marker. Getting quest directions that were like "ok, start from this town and make your way north on the road. When it forks, take the road east until it crests a hill then look northest for the den" was HELLA COOL. Because you actually followed roads and checked out your environment and actually explored the world. Much better than beelining to a pre-marked destination and playing Cliff Horse Reloaded to get there.

man this does sound baller af but do they at least mark it in your journal without flavor? because i know how western high fantasy games can get goddamn long-winded sometimes and i like some automation in the note-taking process at least. it's why i like etrian odyssey and stranger in sword city so much more than elminage: it doesn't hold your hand, but it does automap, and the map is always visible.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 28, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

Just lol if you try to act like turn-based RPG combat is bad but FF13/15's garbage is good.

Lol tell us more about games you haven't played

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

The worst opinion ever, immortalized here for all to see.

idk, ATB kinda sucks since you're just waiting around even more than in normal turn based combat

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chomp8645 posted:

Playing Morrowind in the modern day is refreshing because it takes gamers back to a time when games didn't hold their hand for every little thing while whispering in their ear how special they are. I didn't play it until 2014 or so and I was blown away by how it treats the player. I had forgotten what the old games were like. I joined the mages guild early and trying to imagine those novice quests being put into a new game in tyool 2017 is just incredibly lol.

Mages Guild Quest 1: "Oh you're my new intern? Greeaaat. Go across the street and buy me a bowl you idiot"

*Quickly returns* "I got the bowl, boss!"

Mages Guild Quest 2: "Already? Fine, I need some flowers or whatever, go find some. No I'm not giving you directions. Jesus just stay out there longer this time"

And this progressed until you became a valued member at a pace that was organic and natural. You climbed the ranks. Compare it to Skyrim where nobody will stop gushing about how awesome you are from minute 1 and you become guild leader in like four quests. I also really appreciated the lack of a quest marker. Getting quest directions that were like "ok, start from this town and make your way north on the road. When it forks, take the road east until it crests a hill then look northest for the den" was HELLA COOL. Because you actually followed roads and checked out your environment and actually explored the world. Much better than beelining to a pre-marked destination and playing Cliff Horse Reloaded to get there.

I think that's part of what makes this game is just so satisfying. It scratches an itch I never realized I had.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lurdiak posted:

Never played FF13/15 but almost anything is better than turn based jrpg combat

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The combat in XIII owns

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Looper posted:

idk, ATB kinda sucks since you're just waiting around even more than in normal turn based combat

Idk it depends on how fast the bars fill up and how the other mechanics interact with it. Both wait and ATB have their advantages, but not every game uses either as well as it could be.

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol tell us more about games you haven't played

:jerkbag:

Help Im Alive posted:

The combat in XIII owns

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Lmao.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

The combat in XIII owns

Too bad about the rest of it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Looper posted:

they're just going to release two episodes and then cancel the third due to disappointing sales

It'll be just like that time my little cousin broke disc number 2!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Combat in XIII is way better than FF7 though even if the rest of the game is bad

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

The combat in XIII owns

I think they never quite hit what they were going for with 13-1 and 2, but 3's combat is great.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

nah sometimes you just wanna chill out and take it slow, y'know?

related, i finally picked up trails in the sky SC

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah 13-1 was fine but was apparently too much for people to grasp so they watered it down to pointlessness for -2 then completely scrapped it for something else for LR.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Looper posted:

nah sometimes you just wanna chill out and take it slow, y'know?

related, i finally picked up trails in the sky SC

trails in the sky is good but i feel like it's too slow sometimes right? the rpg thread always says "you can speed up combat with cheatengine" but i'm not sure what i need to make that happen. i mean hell the last time i used CE was for borderlands 2, and the executable had some malware in, so i regard CE with extreme caution unless i have explicit rules telling me where to get it and what to do once i have it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Almost every Zelda game is a prequel. Checkmate :smugdog:

People that care about the Zelda timeline are the worst

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lurdiak posted:

The classic turn based combat of ff7

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I remember a friend of mine was complaining about the combat in XIII 50+ hours into the game and it turned out he had never used saboteurs/synergists at all

People complain about all the tutorials but don't actually learn anything from them and just use ravager/commando + mash attack lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

The classic turn based combat of ff7

Anything more complex than Fight, Magic, Item, Run and phew get that poo poo outta here

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Materia was fun :shobon:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like turn based combat okay but man did FF7 have some slow rear end combat. If they did the same things but made the animations skippable, it'd be fine but as it is, it's not so good.

Also, yes the later FF games have better combat because it's pretty much the same thing with all the bullshit cut out and stuff added to make you feel more in control.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

All I know about 13 is that Moms are Tough and I think that's a pretty good lesson for a game to teach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tough mom dies five minutes later so maybe not

• Locked thread