Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I know it's a small dumb thing, but c'mon guys. If you're posting your list, help us out and use this site: https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/

Then go to Print/View as Text, and select the BBCode button at the bottom and paste the text into the post.

Like this!

Ten Numb (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Jan Ors (2)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

Nien Nunb (29)
Push the Limit (3)
R2 Astromech (1)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Black One (1)

Lieutenant Blount (17)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Ion Pulse Missiles (3)
Vectored Thrusters (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

My only complaint about that format is that it doesn't list the ship, and N00bs like me don't know what pilot goes with what ship.

edit: I suppose I can just click the link and look. Never mind. I am an idiot.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Yaaaas lego throne

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That looks amazing and I want one.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Now make a Lego toilet for Dengar to sit on

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

canyoneer posted:

Now make a Lego toilet for Dengar to sit on

I actually have a Jumpmaster on the bench right now as a tester for my next Deci. But I'm not doing any lego stuff to it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Love the Deci.

Wish I was good with it. I just naturally avoid 0 agi ships.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Yaaaas lego throne

Do you use that Lego Han in Carbonite to represent a Rebel Captive? Because if so :allears:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

Final round win. 2-2 record. Not gonna make the cut. :(

Still had a lot of fun.

I rolled your list into the store tonight. It's really different after spending time flying SFs and Defenders.

Lost to a dual PS10 (Quickdraw, Duchess and Rexlar) list and a Fenn-Dengar-Inaldra list but beat a Kanan-Biggs and a weird scum list with HWKs and Scyks.

You weren't kidding about the number of weird triggers to remember. I forgot about the Sensor Jammer most of the game against the TLT.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Do you use that Lego Han in Carbonite to represent a Rebel Captive? Because if so :allears:

Yes of course.

On another note, Wave 11 is shipping already. !!!!

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
FFG's Upcoming page now lists July 13th as the Wave XI release date, so I guess all of that stuff was true.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

Edit: missed the post right above me somehow.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Are there any other upcoming releases that have been announced? I'm wondering what, if anything, they'll debut at GenCon this year.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Funzo posted:

Are there any other upcoming releases that have been announced? I'm wondering what, if anything, they'll debut at GenCon this year.

Maybe the Starviper/Kirakzh fighter pack?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Rules question that came up when I was playing Kylo-Whisper

If someone bumps the Upsilon shuttle, but I've dialed a stop, do I still get my action (Red move but I have Pattern Analyzer)?

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Maybe the Starviper/Kirakzh fighter pack?

Yeah, now that 11 will be out that will have to be the GenCon prerelease. It is a bit awkward, because they can't talk about the Last Jedi ships that will come out, what, two weeks after GenCon?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

If someone bumps the Upsilon shuttle, but I've dialed a stop, do I still get my action (Red move but I have Pattern Analyzer)?

Seems like you would; you didn't cause the bump, so you're free to do whatever. The came up on the official forums saying as much, too:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/242444-stops-pattern-analyzer-and-bumps/

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Z the IVth posted:

Yep. You still get the action. You didn't bump this turn.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Seems like you would; you didn't cause the bump, so you're free to do whatever. The came up on the official forums saying as much, too:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/242444-stops-pattern-analyzer-and-bumps/

I would just assume you won't get your action because of the touching a ship after executing your maneuver (a 0 stop is still a maneuver), but FFG is really good at making inconsistent and illogical outcomes to things, so what do I know.

edit: I see, its a result of the overlapping vs touching corner case....

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

I would just assume you won't get your action because of the touching a ship after executing your maneuver (a 0 stop is still a maneuver), but FFG is really good at making inconsistent and illogical outcomes to things, so what do I know.

edit: I see, its a result of the overlapping vs touching corner case....

It all comes down to Touching vs Overlapping.

To lose your action you must overlap. After you overlap, you move back until you are touching, and you skip the Perform Action step.

In this case, the Upsilon did not overlap, so it gets an action (with pattern analyzer). It's still touching, so it can't shoot that other ship though.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

VikingPenguin posted:

Yeah, now that 11 will be out that will have to be the GenCon prerelease. It is a bit awkward, because they can't talk about the Last Jedi ships that will come out, what, two weeks after GenCon?

I'm guessing they're going to focus on the Legend of the Five Rings card game they have coming out at GenCon, rather then X Wing stuff.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

"Backdraft" (27)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Lightweight Frame (2)
Special Ops Training (0)

"Quickdraw" (29)
Expertise (4)
Fire-Control System (2)
Lightweight Frame (2)
Special Ops Training (0)

Lieutenant Kestal (22)
Predator (3)
Twin Laser Turret (6)

I have an idea. Got a feeling this would gobble up Fenn Raus and do pretty well against other stuff. I had to pull off the Pattern Analyzers to get TLT to fit, but I wonder if it's worth dropping down to synced turret on Kestal to get lightweight frame back on Kestal.

Every list I build I think "can this survive 2-3 jumpmasters with ordnance?" and I don't feel great about these odds.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Could try A Score to Settle instead of Expertise to save 4 points. I like the idea.

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

canyoneer posted:

"Backdraft" (27)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Lightweight Frame (2)
Special Ops Training (0)

"Quickdraw" (29)
Expertise (4)
Fire-Control System (2)
Lightweight Frame (2)
Special Ops Training (0)

Lieutenant Kestal (22)
Predator (3)
Twin Laser Turret (6)

I have an idea. Got a feeling this would gobble up Fenn Raus and do pretty well against other stuff. I had to pull off the Pattern Analyzers to get TLT to fit, but I wonder if it's worth dropping down to synced turret on Kestal to get lightweight frame back on Kestal.

Every list I build I think "can this survive 2-3 jumpmasters with ordnance?" and I don't feel great about these odds.

Synced turret is absolutely not worth it. With a TLT you want to hang out at range 3 anyway, Kestal's ability will cancel the autothruster blank, and you get the third evade die. Lightweight frame shouldn't trigger very often if you had it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Well it's a few day before my local store championship. Time to make my usual "I can't decide what to fly" post.

Was going to fly BBYZZ, but I'm just not there yet with the formation flying. I've improved heaps with it, but no so much that I think I can survive that 3 bumpmaster list I posted before.

Thinking of going with this.

Contracted Scout (25)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Rigged Cargo Chute (1)
Guidance Chips (0)

Contracted Scout (25)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Rigged Cargo Chute (1)
Guidance Chips (0)

Inaldra (15)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Pulsed Ray Shield (2)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) (2)

Total: 99

Everyone at 3 so I move as a unit. K4 since I want to have TL for the torps for the very first engagement since against 3 bumpmasters the second round of combat is probably going to take place at range 1. Inaldra can be the focus monkey for a while and hang back which will let me barrel roll a lot with the torp boats. Only real decision I have to make is if I want to move first with this against the bump list or not.

If I move first I have the best chance of avoiding bumps and the anti pursuit lasers. Also it will make intel officer pretty useless.

If I move second it will give me the best chance for torp shots. Which with a little luck will let me pop a jumpmaster the first round.

Here is the list I have been talking about to save you looking back for it.

Contracted Scout (25)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Intelligence Agent (1)
R5-P8 (3)
Feedback Array (2)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Contracted Scout (25)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Tactician (2)
R4 Agromech (2)
Black Market Slicer Tools (1)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Contracted Scout (25)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Tactician (2)
R4 Agromech (2)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Opinions?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I genuinely dont see the advantage of that list over the standard Fenn+2 Jumps. You're trading 2 expensive K4s for a much less survivable 3rd ship. Esp since you're not really gaining much over just taking a regular target lock with your two boats when you get into range and having Fenn behind feeding the focus. The scyk is also much more vulnerable to stress and turrets without autothrusters and extremely fragile to range 1 shots which he is sure to take with pulse ray shield. Its also gonna be hard to flank or chase without the boost action and with such low PS.

Another thing. Your ships seem to be at odds with each other. 2 huge debris fields added to the board is not really what a Scyk wants to be flying through. It has no green turns and has to rely on K-turning to keep shots on target. Not only does he have at least 2 (possibly 5)jumpmasters to navigate through but also potentially 8 obstacles.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 29, 2017

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I think you're other thinking it by trying to counter one specific list used by one specific player. Chances are you never play them.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

I think you're other thinking it by trying to counter one specific list used by one specific player. Chances are you never play them.

Yeah, trying not to counter just one player. I will probably face him though. Looks like we will have 20ish players. Only 2-3 I haven't played before and not many losses against. I give myself a good chance for top 4 and that bump list is fierce. Just the utter lack of being able to defend from a lot of the damage has me flustered I guess. Really wish I had any practice with Dash/Miranda. Oh well

banned from Starbucks posted:

I genuinely dont see the advantage of that list over the standard Fenn+2 Jumps. You're trading 2 expensive K4s for a much less survivable 3rd ship. Esp since you're not really gaining much over just taking a regular target lock with your two boats when you get into range and having Fenn behind feeding the focus. The scyk is also much more vulnerable to stress and turrets without autothrusters and extremely fragile to range 1 shots which he is sure to take with pulse ray shield. Its also gonna be hard to flank or chase without the boost action and with such low PS.

Another thing. Your ships seem to be at odds with each other. 2 huge debris fields added to the board is not really what a Scyk wants to be flying through. It has no green turns and has to rely on K-turning to keep shots on target. Not only does he have at least 2 (possibly 5)jumpmasters to navigate through but also potentially 8 obstacles.

Very good points. Thanks. I was thinking about the syck skirting range 3 as much as possible, but you bring up vaild concerns. Just don't see Fenn surviving long at R1 against the list green dice wont save him from 2xBMST + 2xAPL and Feedback.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

VikingPenguin posted:

I would guess we'll get Wave 12 spoiled at GenCon, and then TLJ stuff added to it in September, for a December release.

Guns For Hire probably not until October, but then, I was like 2 months out with this release so *shrug*

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Raged posted:

I was thinking about the syck skirting range 3 as much as possible

Yup thats the plan vs that list its just much harder to execute with a scyk vs Fenn. Hit and run targets of opportunity where you can and keep your ace safe while your two torps boats can hopefully trade evenly then either kill the third or get half points on the last one and play the run game.

I also think that particular scyks talent isnt very good. You need to really think about when to use that ability. Theres a lot of very accurate 3 dice guns out there and sacking a shield to reroll into more bad dice could end up killing you outright instead of leaving you with 1 hitpoint.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Here is the list I have been talking about to save you looking back for it.

Contracted Scout (25)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Intelligence Agent (1)
R5-P8 (3)
Feedback Array (2)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Contracted Scout (25)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Tactician (2)
R4 Agromech (2)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Contracted Scout (25)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Tactician (2)
R4 Agromech (2)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Opinions?

I'm still not convinced that list is really all that scary to anything *except* aces like Fenn Rau. I'm not sure how you'd fail to take it apart with BBYZZ, especially with mindlink involved on their end. If they're slicing they're not focusing. And it's really easy to control which ship gets double stressed when mindlink is involved. Remember, you can shoot two different ships with BTL: one for the turret and one for the primary. Tag one, stress them all. Then tag the one you want to double stress.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I haven't been to league in a while but I'm still in the List Builders group message. There is a new guy at league, that came in demanding to know all the top meta lists so he could learn the game, and apparently is an altogether unpleasant and angry person.

quote:

He was also arguing about rules. Like saying that since the Inquisitor was target locked, the title gives him an evade. It was frustrating. He was like, "It doesn't say that on the card! Yu-Gi-Oh cards have tons of text to guide you on this." In the nicest terms possible, I told that this isn't Yu-Gi-Oh, and to read the rules. Rules and the FAQ are why our cards are readable.

I think I'll start going again next week just to see him in action myself.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I haven't been to league in a while but I'm still in the List Builders group message. There is a new guy at league, that came in demanding to know all the top meta lists so he could learn the game, and apparently is an altogether unpleasant and angry person.

I've seen a bunch of new players get into the scene from scratch in the last year, and there are 3 of them that come to mind. They didn't have a friend already in the scene to get them started, they just got a set, joined the facebook group to find games, and just started playing. They all got ramped up pretty quickly, asking opponents at open play events if they could borrow their alternate list and have them teach them how to use it. If you're not a total jerk or weirdo, there are so many enthusiastic people that are generous with their time and happy to teach you the game at a competitive level.

Not surprising the guy is a yu-gi-oh player. That community has such a toxic (and well-earned) reputation. Here's a post from my local store last year re: the Yu Gi Oh community:

quote:

A friendly reminder. Yu-Gi-Oh gameplay/trading/building/etc is not allowed in the store.
To accommodate demand we are offering Yu-Gi-Oh packs and decks again. The Infinite Gold is here and we have structure decks and booster packs inbound. But that's all. We are not dealing in YGO singles at all. We do not run YGO events and will not be doing so in the future, and no casual play is permitted. This is due to extensive and repeated problems with YGO in-store play in the past, including shoplifting, player-to-player theft, bullying, profanity, leaving messes, and so on. Not all YGO players cause these problems, but the bad apples ruined it for everybody.
If you play YGO that's fine and we hope you enjoy it, but you are going to need to find another place to play. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

quote:

Among other reasons, part of why DSG is now one of the top selling Pokemon stores in the region is because parents of Pokemon players feel more comfortable letting their kids play where they know it is much less likely that the kid will have their cards stolen, be taught new curse words, be bullied, etc. It was the YGO player base, by and large, causing those issues and chasing away an otherwise healthier Pokemon player base.
I've shared the story before of this other dude

canyoneer posted:

There was a dude there that was griping the entire time. Thankfully I didn't play him, but man, he was such a grouch.
He was mad that people are allowed to guess zero with C-3PO. ("It's against the intent of the card, and although legal, it's unethical.")
He was mad that people can check for target locks on ships that they know for sure are out of range, as a way to eyeball the range for next round. ("It's unethical!")
He was mad that x7 Defenders get a token even when they bump ("because they didn't execute the maneuver fully, it shouldn't count")
He was mad that Vessery could spend his target lock on the same attack, because he thought it worked like Fire Control Systems.

It was exhausting to listen to. Dude, if you don't want rules surprises in a casual, low stakes tournament maybe you should play more.
A real buzzkill.

This was back when x7 Defender title was an automatic token, not a free action.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't like measuring target locks when its very obvious you are out either but there's not really anything to be done about it so whatevs.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Eh those are all things we've learned to accept over time as "it just is" no matter how dumb but I can see how it would maybe sour someone exposed to it all at once. Someone really needs to just package all those little quirky rulings into a "15 HOT X-WING HACKS OLD PLAYERS DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT!!!!!!!" type video

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Jesus this sounds exactly like a new player at the store last week. Just picked up his first stuff minutes before and was pushing for me to teach him while I was in the middle of a match and had 2 other waiting to play me. Had one of the guys waiting take him through the learning to play matches and of course he won because it's setup that way. The amount of poo poo he talked after was embarrassing. "I know I would be good at this because I am great at Yugio." Also "I'm great at this because I am a pro battlefield pilot on the XBOX.":psyduck: On and on he went.

I am teaching X-Wing to a few of the autistic clients I have to encourage social interaction and it can be really trying at times, but this guy was just unbearable the whole bloody time. In the end I encouraged him to play in the store championship this week and he is. I really hope I get to play him first round.

Raged fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 30, 2017

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

I've only been playing for less than a year now, and I've been blown away by the community. If it weren't for how friendly and what not they are I would have never thought of doing competitive play!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Cobaltshift posted:

I've only been playing for less than a year now, and I've been blown away by the community. If it weren't for how friendly and what not they are I would have never thought of doing competitive play!

Yeah, the community is pretty darn awesome. I really am enjoying travelling to tourneys now because you are guaranteed to meet some really awesome people. The annoying players are few and far between. One tournament I won I got given a best sportsman/friendliest player prize. Feels good that a community like that thinks that well of you.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, every game store owner i've talked to thinks yugioh has one of the worst communities ever and a couple have decided not to stock it just to be rid of them. It does sell, but good god, the people.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The vast majority of people I've played at tournaments have been really nice, and this is across three very different regions (SE Michigan, NOVA, and Long Island). I started playing because my 40K buddies started playing, but there's no way I would've gotten active in the game to the degree I have were it not for the competitive scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Any tips on strategy for facing 4 brobots? I'm doing a 200 point weekly tournament and that's my next matchup. So far they are undefeated.

I'm locked into Scum so I figure my best bet is PS7+ ships with mindlink for opportunity to arc dodge and to compete with their insane action economy.

• Locked thread