Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Evinger is cool enough that I'll cheer for her. She's also probably Cyborg's best opponent since the first Marloes Coenen fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
In terms of skill level Evinger/Cyborg will probably end up being much more competitive that Anderson/Cyborg.

Megan Anderson is great but she's still quite sloppy and almost got knocked out by Charmaine Tweet in her most recent fight.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

extremely excited about Tonya Evinger vs Cyborg. That's a rubber meets the road fight for Cyborg.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
JDS vs Ngannou for 215 in September.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
RIP JDS' health insurance coverage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lloyd Boner posted:

I like this fight.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Seems like a great way to knock off a contender while not moving jds any closer to another title shot

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Street Horrrsing posted:

Seems like a great way to knock off a contender while not moving jds any closer to another title shot

JDS is going to sleep.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
the UFC wasn't 100% sure JDS had brain damage, so they're going the extra mile

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Street Horrrsing posted:

If he can't beat JDS then he's probably not a very good contender.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

big money big clit posted:

If he can't beat JDS then he's probably not a very good contender.

why not? you think jds is shot?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bundt Cake posted:

JDS isn't as good as he once was and is only going to continue to get worse. Ngannou is gonna KO him and it's probably going to be bad.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

JDS isn't as good as he once was and is only going to continue to get worse. Ngannou is gonna KO him and it's probably going to be bad.

Or Ngannou is going to mystified by a heavyweight who can throw a jab.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Or Ngannou is going to mystified by a heavyweight who can throw a jab.

I had to watch the Arlovski fight again to see if there were any jabs, but Andrei doesn't get to throw much at all before getting dumpstered.

Ngannou has 20lbs and a 6 inch reach advantage over JDS, though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ngannou gonna send JDS out on a litter of shields carried by topless brazillian women.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

They sure seem to like feeding Ngannou beat up former champions coming off of bad losses.

Just a few years ago Cain and Junior were held up as MMA's Ali and Frazier, and now look at then both. It's really sad.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Are there any big names who have taken more hard hits to their head and face than JDS? Mark Hunt comes to mind, especially after the Stipe fight, but I can't think of anyone else.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

evobatman posted:

Are there any big names who have taken more hard hits to their head and face than JDS? Mark Hunt comes to mind, especially after the Stipe fight, but I can't think of anyone else.

Matt Hughes took a pretty hard hit

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

evobatman posted:

does Nick Diaz vs Paul Daley count? I think that was the one where he had to get plastic surgery afterwards.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

coconono posted:

does Nick Diaz vs Paul Daley count? I think that was the one where he had to get plastic surgery afterwards.

Why are you comparing a one round fight to a career's worth of beatings?

Overeem is another guy who has taken a ton of damage.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Why are you comparing a one round fight to a career's worth of beatings?

Overeem is another guy who has taken a ton of damage.

Nick always looks like a hairspray can exploded in his face after his fights tho. That's gotta add up.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
For those of you who don't listen to the most intelligent podcast in MMA (dead serious I've listened to them all) You're Welcome, Chael's coach Clayton Hires has been on past couple episodes and it's cool to see their dynamic.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh yeah Clayton Hires is cool. I haven't listened in a while but that guy has great energy.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

tesilential posted:

For those of you who don't listen to the most intelligent podcast in MMA (dead serious I've listened to them all) You're Welcome, Chael's coach Clayton Hires has been on past couple episodes and it's cool to see their dynamic.

now that Joel's gone, it's actually listenable

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bundt Cake posted:

There's still plenty of guys at heavyweight he could beat, but I think if you can't beat him you're not going to beat Stipe, so I don't see any issue with him acting as a gatekeeper.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The CSAC will not allow Renan Barao to fight at bantamweight at UFC 214. They have informed the UFC that they'll approve the fight at either 140 or 145.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/28/15887092/csac-wont-license-renan-barao-at-bantamweight-for-aljamain-sterling-fight-at-ufc-214

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I feel like we've done this song and dance of JDS being done before.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Forceholy posted:

I feel like we've done this song and dance of JDS being done before.

He hasn't won two fights in a row since 2012.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rigel posted:

The CSAC will not allow Renan Barao to fight at bantamweight at UFC 214. They have informed the UFC that they'll approve the fight at either 140 or 145.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/28/15887092/csac-wont-license-renan-barao-at-bantamweight-for-aljamain-sterling-fight-at-ufc-214

It'll be interesting to see what his weight after rehydration is, if they make it public. I assume they won't.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Rigel posted:

Good.

There's probably gonna be some hiccups and inconsistent enforcement that will piss people off, but I ultimately think that athletic commissions enforcing safer weight cutting is a good thing.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/Cowboycerrone/status/880170502169473024

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

ah, he has HIV, from having brokeback mountain cowboy gay sex.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

handsome only face posted:

ah, he has HIV, from having brokeback mountain cowboy gay sex.

I can see how you would think this, but the line "I wish I knew how to quit you" refers to a forbidden love, not literal alcohol abuse

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lloyd Boner posted:

I love watching someone die on PPV.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Holy crap, 214 is starting to look kinda bananas

https://twitter.com/UFCONFOX/status/880200625316806656

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

if by bananas you mean they took doo ho choi and korean zombie off it and put tyron woodley on it as a make good, yes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rigel posted:

Holy crap, 214 is starting to look kinda bananas

https://twitter.com/UFCONFOX/status/880200625316806656

:peanut:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm worried he's going to smash Maia into dust but happy he's getting his shot.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/880204092735467521

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

handsome only face posted:

if by bananas you mean they took doo ho choi and korean zombie off it and put tyron woodley on it as a make good, yes.

drat

• Locked thread