Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

all turn based RPGs should be as fast or faster than the first two Suikodens and their attack animations all going off at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I never realized how many people had bad opinions about final fantasy. It's interesting what you learn about people.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I never finished XIII but I found it hilarious how the short kid holds a grudge against his party leader for forty hours game time but follows her anyway and without complaint

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

turn based combat is good but the PSOne FFs have a battle framerate of like, 5 frames per second

a feature they've not bothered fixing with their remasters which is why i haven't gotten them

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The White Dragon posted:

man this does sound baller af but do they at least mark it in your journal without flavor? because i know how western high fantasy games can get goddamn long-winded sometimes and i like some automation in the note-taking process at least. it's why i like etrian odyssey and stranger in sword city so much more than elminage: it doesn't hold your hand, but it does automap, and the map is always visible.

Your journal would always contain a brief version of the description provided by the NPC. So "Caius Calocolus Caloflopadasium has tasked me to retrieve...... I must take the north road from Pelgiad, east at the fork, then from the hill start searching north east to find the tomb" or whatever.

The good thing they did was usually reference landmarks a lot along the way. "Look for the small pond on the left, look for the burnt tree past the fork" so that if at any point you got lost you could go back to the last confirmed landmark and try again. But no there is no auto-mark or auto-path backup. The drawback of the system at the time was that getting lost was possible. But today you have best of both worlds! You can explore organically but if you do end up just unable to find your mark then an internet walkthrough will be happy to give you precision marker of where you need to go.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lurdiak posted:

I never realized how many people had bad opinions about final fantasy. It's interesting what you learn about people.

Not as bad as you thinking ff7 was turn based lmao

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What, Hope has a grudge against Snow not Lightning and it's resolved before they leave Cocoon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

turn based combat is good but the PSOne FFs have a battle framerate of like, 5 frames per second

And horrendous load times for transitioning into battle.

corn in the bible posted:

I'm pretty sure you need to look up some definitions.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

It is it you play it with autowait on.

Which I did.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think chrono cross's battles were even worse, maybe 2 frames per second. actually maybe it's a fraction of a frame

i'm not so much into collecting PS1 JRPGs (although I did get a couple like granstream saga), i'm much moreso into collecting and playing PS2 JRPGs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think FF8 and 9 have a lot of issues but I can see why people like them, but people who like Chrono Cross just puzzle me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

i think chrono cross's battles were even worse, maybe 2 frames per second. actually maybe it's a fraction of a frame

I liked the battle system but yeah that framerate was awful.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

What, Hope has a grudge against Snow not Lightning and it's resolved before they leave Cocoon.

I'll take your word for it, I'm not going to replay it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Its amazeballs. Rookie has 2 fewer worlds than normal and they are too good to miss.

I got to world 4 and died QQ. I think arcade mode is just a teensy bit too long, especially if theres a full two worlds after 5 that I havent seen yet.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

just lol if you don't junction 100 hastes to speed in ff8 and finish battles in single digit seconds

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I junctioned FF8 into the trash

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Skies of Arcadia had bland typical turn based combat but I liked that they'd animate your allies and enemies attempting to fight each other in the background and whiffing attacks while you were making your choice and the ship combat was neat.

Shadow Hearts series has my favorite turn based combat though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not counting tactics the last final fantasy i played was final fantasy 7 and i got about halfway through and got bored, but i was also about 10 so the only thing i bothered to learn about the combat system was making sure to put the "all" materia on any spell i equipped

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

The combat in XIII owns

Hell yeah it does.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I would take the combat in classic FF games over what 15 had any day. I liked 15, but man the combat was just not my thing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's pretty variable and changes depending on what's going on.

One thing I noticed replaying it is that it does the camera pan around the area for each battle while it's loading with a ton of effects going off, and then turns all the extra effects off once your party loads in so it can actually run it. There are actually a couple battle fields where you can get it going near 60 but it all tanks the second you cast a spell or do much of anything and that's rare as hell.

What makes it frustrating is that the game's menu run at a higher framerate, higher resolution, and has better models for the characters on the status screen that includes slightly better shadows. It really just came out at a poo poo time and should have been on PS2.

Lurdiak posted:

but people who like Chrono Cross just puzzle me.

It's great because you can skip the trash battles and the boss fights are mostly fun puzzles and the whole thing has a beautiful aesthetic.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jrpgs, in general, are garbage

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I haven't played a turn-based JRPG in a long time but I think Persona 5 has a pretty slick system. Doesn't really seem like they ever really figured out what to do with the guns though

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 28, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

just lol if you don't junction 100 hastes to speed in ff8 and finish battles in single digit seconds

I put on No-Enc ASAP and walked through 15 hours of cutscenes.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Skies of Arcadia had bland typical turn based combat but I liked that they'd animate your allies and enemies attempting to fight each other in the background and whiffing attacks while you were making your choice and the ship combat was neat.

Shadow Hearts series has my favorite turn based combat though

I love SoA to death but I reeeeeaaaally wish you could actually position your characters in combat since some spells and abilities have specific areas of effect. And tweak the close range and long range normal attacks while you're at it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Monkey Fracas posted:

I haven't played a turn-based JRPG in a long time but I think Persona 5 has a pretty slick system. Doesn't really seem like they never really figured out what to do with the guns though

Guns are pretty much only there to give the game another damage type for stuff to be weak against so yeah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FF7 isn't a perfect game but I kind of admire how jam-packed it is. Like they wanted to make it the Biggest! JRPG! Ever! So it has tons of really elaborate mini-games and side content and hidden bosses that don't really make the game better but make it have more "stuff" in it. It never "coasts" or tries to stretch out the content it has, it just keeps adding more and more poo poo, probably to the point that it becomes a detriment. It reminds me of Symphony of the night, which is similarly bursting with content beyond the point of reason.

Phantasium posted:

It's great because you can skip the trash battles and the boss fights are mostly fun puzzles and the whole thing has a beautiful aesthetic.

I hate the aesthetic of the game, it's like a theater troupe had to create the illusion of a full fledged world overnight using only circus tents and garment.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 28, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

Hell yeah it does.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

After restrictive cart sizes FF7 was basically Wow Look At All This Space the game

And then they still decided it needed three discs lol

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I hate the aesthetic of the game, it's like a theater troupe had to create the illusion of a full fledged world overnight using only circus tents and garment.

well that's just mean to skelly

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cowcaster posted:

*Creates complex system of status effects including counters to specific effects. Blind, paralyze poison, attack up, attack down, magic up, magic down, etc..."

*Literally all are useless they disable/stun because characters die in three hits*

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

And horrendous load times for transitioning into battle.

I'm pretty sure you need to look up some definitions.

Please explain how ff7 is turn based but 13 is not

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chomp8645 posted:

*Creates complex system of status effects including counters to specific effects. Blind, paralyze poison, attack up, attack down, magic up, magic down, etc..."

*Literally all are useless they disable/stun because characters die in three hits*

Which game is this?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The best JRPG combat is mainilne SMT games. SMT4A was perfect.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

I love SoA to death but I reeeeeaaaally wish you could actually position your characters in combat since some spells and abilities have specific areas of effect. And tweak the close range and long range normal attacks while you're at it

Yeah, it was always strange that they had these abilities and attacks that would hit different areas but you had no control over where your character was.

I'd like to see an hd port at some point but I don't think an hd port could fix the weird combat stuff, and I wouldn't want them remaking it because...well, it's a dumb reason but I feel like they'd do what they did with Valkyria and ditch what made it so special and unique and interesting.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cowcaster posted:

Ha! I have a taken you RPG system and added huge amounts of zeroes to the ends of all numbers. Beyond the power of the JRPG!!!!

*Swings sword, does 3824912 damage, or about 4% of the target's HP*

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Ha! I have a taken you RPG system and added huge amounts of zeroes to the ends of all numbers. Beyond the power of the JRPG!!!!

*Swings sword, does 3824912 damage, or about 4% of the target's HP*

Disgaea is cool.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I do love 7 though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

The best JRPG combat is mainilne SMT games. SMT4A was perfect.

+1. Probably the best JRPG I've ever played. And Ive played a fair amount of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

My favorite Games meme is "buffs and ailments are actually useful in this one!"

• Locked thread