Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

games, in general, are garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Come on Erg I know you're better than that

It's games posters

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Looper posted:

My favorite Games meme is "buffs and ailments are actually useful in this one!"

Yeah cause it's usually a lie

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"You're sharpenin' stones, walkin' on coals, to improve your business acumen."

- Taloon's wife, Dragon Quest 4

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah cause it's usually a lie
much liek the cake!!!!! :roflolmao:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Paper Mario was cool in how minimalist it was. Instead of ridiculous giant inflated numbers like most rpgs, the most damage you ever did without crazy shenanigans was probably about 12

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cowcaster posted:

jrpgs, in general, are garbage

Hmm... that is quite an interesting story mister NPC. What do you think, companions?

*Upwards of seven individuals literally emerge out of the character frame/sprite of the main character as if by phase shift, apparently having heard everything discussed while inside his bowels. This surprises the NPC*"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only good videogame ever created is ghen war, for the sega saturn

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Hmm... that is quite an interesting story mister NPC. What do you think, companions?

*Upwards of seven individuals literally emerge out of the character frame/sprite of the main character as if by phase shift, apparently having heard everything discussed while inside his bowels. This surprises the NPC*"

Golden Sun was bad

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
FF7 was great, it was new, fresh, exciting. To a young lad who had only been exposed to platformers, beat-em-ups and shooters I had never seen a game with that style or that kind of dramatic plotline or even really simple concepts like casting a Fire spell or summoning a monster to fight for you.

Every JRPG I've played since then has been a weak disappointment in comparison, not that I've dabbled heavily in the genre but they peaked for me personally 20 years ago and this upcoming remake is only going to ruin every piece of childhood nostalgia I have.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

+1. Probably the best JRPG I've ever played. And Ive played a fair amount of them

It's so good. Persona 5 felt off because it's missing a lot of what's great about SMT4A

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Macarius Wrench posted:

FF7 was great, it was new, fresh, exciting. To a young lad who had only been exposed to platformers, beat-em-ups and shooters I had never seen a game with that style or that kind of dramatic plotline or even really simple concepts like casting a Fire spell or summoning a monster to fight for you.

Every JRPG I've played since then has been a weak disappointment in comparison, not that I've dabbled heavily in the genre but they peaked for me personally 20 years ago and this upcoming remake is only going to ruin every piece of childhood nostalgia I have.

Good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What are some jrpgs where status effects actually mattered?

I wanna say shadow hearts had some that mattered because everybody had the potential to be overpowered in that game and if you didn't do your buffs right, you could get absolutely wrecked, but if you did do your buffs right, you could stunlock even bosses.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think video games are pretty cool. I plan on playing some later today.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

FirstAidKite posted:

I wanna say shadow hearts had some that mattered because everybody had the potential to be overpowered in that game and if you didn't do your buffs right, you could get absolutely wrecked, but if you did do your buffs right, you could stunlock even bosses.

FFV

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Pokemon

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

SMT4A

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh and Etrian Odyssey games as well

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Between the Rage Spell, the Fire Monster transformation's double damage buff, and Lucia's guaranteed critical and a Seventh Key, I think the first attack I did directly against the final boss in Shadow Hearts 2 did 80% of its health.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cowcaster posted:

Allow me to introduce my companions!

We have Gilbert the warrior, a man resembling a 70 year old california surfer.

And Cristof the mage, a man carrying so many scrolls they fly off him comically whenever he is struck.

And of course the party healer, Diana, a ten year old girl. She casts magic by dancing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FirstAidKite posted:

All SMT games, Vagrant Story, Dragon Quest. It depends what you mean by 'mattered' because there's a ton of games where they're useful but people just over level and never touch them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also in the recent Tales games they've made it so that if you're afflicted with an ailment, you can't heal any HP.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fps is brown lol

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

Allow me to introduce my companions!

We have Gilbert the warrior, a man resembling a 70 year old california surfer.

And Cristof the mage, a man carrying so many scrolls they fly off him comically whenever he is struck.

And of course the party healer, Diana, a ten year old girl. She casts magic by dancing.

are you having a stroke

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Between the Rage Spell, the Fire Monster transformation's double damage buff, and Lucia's guaranteed critical and a Seventh Key, I think the first attack I did directly against the final boss in Shadow Hearts 2 did 80% of its health.

Exactly

That poo poo owned. I also liked the combo system you could set up so you could just juggle enemies between your allies.

Though correct me if I'm wrong, isn't there that Infinite Key or whatever it was called and you could combine it with the one Judgement Ring type that only has 1 area you have to hit and it just autocompletes the rest for you and if you combined the two then you automatically would just hit the enemy until they died?

I can't remember if that was a thing you could actually do or just something people were hoping you could do.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I remember thinking the rhythm-based button press attacks in Legend of Dragoon made the battles fun and engaging but I haven't played that game in years

Are there any other RPGs that have sorta turn-based combat with some manner of engagement beyond picking your moves and watching your characters do them and does it really help the battle system at all? Remember all of the Paper Mario games and all of the Mario+Luigi games being like this

an actual dog posted:

It's so good. Persona 5 felt off because it's missing a lot of what's great about SMT4A

After I finish P5 I'm definitely going to get past the opening area in SMT4 and play the rest of the game and then maybe even play SMT4A

might wind up waiting a bit between them so I don't get SMT'd out

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think I used Don't Act a few times in Final Fantasy Tactics, and maybe even some Steal Heart. But they were never super reliable.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cowcaster posted:

Come friends, let us drive of in our stylish convertible. But be careful! Only a few dozen yards beyond the boundaries of this apparently modern city with cars, electric lights, and all the other trappings of a city of at least 1990, lie fearsome beasts! Literal giant sand worms or rock monsters could burst from the ground at any moment in this place indistinguishable from a moderate sized American city. Once we exit the vehicle we will attack them with katanas.

That is just how we do things here.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Though correct me if I'm wrong, isn't there that Infinite Key or whatever it was called and you could combine it with the one Judgement Ring type that only has 1 area you have to hit and it just autocompletes the rest for you and if you combined the two then you automatically would just hit the enemy until they died?

I can't remember if that was a thing you could actually do or just something people were hoping you could do.

There's something like that but I don't remember which game it exactly was in or what things you needed to do to get it. I know I never did it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Are there any other RPGs that have sorta turn-based combat with some manner of engagement beyond picking your moves and watching your characters do them and does it really help the battle system at all? Remember all of the Paper Mario games and all of the Mario+Luigi games being like this

Shadow Hearts series.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles and FfF13 are the only one where I really cared about buffs and debuffs. In most JRPGs I played most aside from poison or stun aren't very useful or are poorly implemented. Taking advantage of status effects in Xenoblade and FF13 really gives you an edge.

Also this

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 28, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Come friends, let us drive of in our stylish convertible. But be careful! Only a few dozen yards beyond the boundaries of this apparently modern city with cars, electric lights, and all the other trappings of a city of at least 1990, lie fearsome beasts! Literal giant sand worms or rock monsters could burst from the ground at any moment in this place indistinguishable from a moderate sized American city. Once we exit the vehicle we will attack them with katanas.

Are you a webcomic author from 2003?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCvYVL1FySc

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

just lol if you don't junction 100 hastes to speed in ff8 and finish battles in single digit seconds

FF8 is the best final fantasy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

Are you a webcomic author from 2003?

So where do those monsters keep all that money and items anyway, huh?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

All SMT games, Vagrant Story, Dragon Quest. It depends what you mean by 'mattered' because there's a ton of games where they're useful but people just over level and never touch them.

Yeah. They were super great in Digital Devil Saga, including debuffs. Also good in FF12.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Grapplejack posted:

FF8 is the best final fantasy.

It's like FF5 in that the plot is garbage but who cares because the mechanics are original and fun to break

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

So where do those monsters keep all that money and items anyway, huh?

Uhm, Cloud? Why not just use a Phoenix Down on Aeris? Heh heh heh

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Chomp8645 posted:

that's sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

It's like FF5 in that the plot is garbage but who cares because the mechanics are original and fun to break

It also has maybe my favorite cutscene in video games where the party in in jail and zell, the unarmed character, laments their weapons being taken away before looking at his hands and going "hey, wait a minute"

• Locked thread