Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Roflex posted:

That actually works out to 0.75/sec (blue assemblers) or 1.25/sec (yellow assemblers). But the ratios will still be correct and balanced.
Ignore the above details because as noted it doesn't matter if you're using all assembler 2s and are winging it (as you will for most of the game). You can start to care about these things if you want to build end-game megafactories and calculate beaconed ratios and other stuff you've never heard of, but even then probably you won't.

Details like this are just number noise to new players.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
It pays to overbuild on red/green/blue science, but that can wait till later. They're relatively cheap resourcewise late in the game and there are quite a few later researches that need multiple beakers per science "tick." If you look at the raw material costs of the fancier science packs compared to the first three (even accounting for producing 2 production/high tech per cycle), it'll make perfect sense.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

yeah, i don't really worry about the assembler multipliers if i'm trying to just get a ratio right

just use the same type of assembler for all the parts and it'll balance out

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Just build more. Bottlenecks and shortages are just how the game tells you what to build more of next.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Hint: you need more of everything

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

necrotic posted:

Hint: you need more of everything

except trees, you always need less trees

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

my main problem i ran into is i had maximized my blue belt of copper wire, but i needed still more green chips, and the way my bus was set up i couldn't get more wire to my green chip branch easily. so i just waited, but that was my main bottleneck. loving green chips.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

crabrock posted:

my main problem i ran into is i had maximized my blue belt of copper wire, but i needed still more green chips, and the way my bus was set up i couldn't get more wire to my green chip branch easily. so i just waited, but that was my main bottleneck. loving green chips.

If you build the wire in situ and feed directly to green chips, you can carry twice as much copper on that same belt.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

related to belting around stuff, on my current map i finally made a bus line for gear wheels, and man is it useful

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

I have an awful-rear end main bus system for my 2 science/second current base (4 lanes each of copper/iron, with circuits/steel made on-site for each assembler block). To the surprise of no-one except me, at full production things further than halfway down the bus are starved for iron/copper. :eng99: Also my train setup is a nightmare because I didn't plan ahead. :emo:

So in order to scale up to 10 science/second (600 science/minute), with the eventual aim of 1000 science/minute I think I'm going to start up a new base on my current map where I:
- smelt iron/copper at the outpost, rather than in my factory (should drop train requirements by 50%)
- train iron plates to some copper outposts, and create green circuits there (probably another 10% off the number of trains)
- smelt steel at some iron outposts (again probably another 10% off)

And then in order to not have my UPS drop through the floor I'm going to go solar/accumulator for power and gradually decommission my nuclear setup (nuclear = lots of fluid flows = UPS hit) and minimise the number of belts I have in favor of bots. But then using lots of bots means lots of roboports (or charging queues forever) which means lots of power draw which ... augh. It all goes round in circles. The only answer is "more".

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

on my last map i also centrifuged uranium ore on-site with the uranium resource patch, which increased train throughput A Lot

whatever you do, though, don't build rocket parts off-site and then train them in, they stack to 10 and it's horrible

always build all the rocket components on-site with your silo

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dr. Stab posted:

If you build the wire in situ and feed directly to green chips, you can carry twice as much copper on that same belt.

This. "Never belt copper cable" should be a golden rule of Factorio. It's the only item in the game (aside from wood I guess) where the output takes up more space than the input.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Out of curiosity, then, for those who play on Expensive settings where a Green Circuit needs 10(!) Copper Wire and 2 Iron Plate: Are you just slapping down 5 Wire Factories around the Green Circuit Factory, and then somehow getting Iron in, too? I saw posts earlier about the 3:2 ratio for Greens, and that's great for normal pricing--anyone got some slick Expensive setups?

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Belts:

Conventional railcar cliche:

Drive-thru version, if you can manage to load iron and copper plates into the same cargo wagon:

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 28, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can also use this, but it requires a few levels of inserter stack size research. It's more easily tileable though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've also realized that I'm utterly terrible at this game. I'm trying a proper rail world run with factories set up as distinct "towns" that train resources in, make one or two product each, then train them back out.

I spent three hours last night trying to build a green circuit factory and just tearing it down over and over because I wasn't happy with the train station for it. How do you get over your desire for making something perfect from the start and as a result never actually finishing it?

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 28, 2017

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Make lots of towns, each one a little better than the last. Stop by your old towns later on and roll your eyes at how half-formed your ideas were.

One of the nice things about railworld distances is that you can really easily make long queues for entering towns, and that didn't even occur to me for my first outposts.

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Also put your towns far away enough from everything that you can easily upgrade and expand them with the help of robots.

What specific problems do you have with your trainstations?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just trying to come up with a flexible design that doesn't limit me from expanding in any direction and doesn't look like garbage.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Collateral Damage posted:

Just trying to come up with a flexible design that doesn't limit me from expanding in any direction and doesn't look like garbage.

You'll never get this right on the first try. Don't try to make everything future-proof. Build something that's good enough but flawed, then use it until you need more, then tear it down and rebuild it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

RyokoTK posted:

This. "Never belt copper cable" should be a golden rule of Factorio. It's the only item in the game (aside from wood I guess) where the output takes up more space than the input.

It's "never bus copper cable". You absolutely need to belt it for red circuits, science packs

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Iron sticks too, but you only ever need those in mass quantity for lamps and rails.

Re: Things to bus - I've found it extremely convenient to have a belt of gears and a belt with one lane of gears / one lane of pipe. The latter feeds into my mall, engine builds, steam stuff, and a few other things. You can put the factory for this at the very beginning of your bus and it's basically 3 lanes of iron equivalent, so I can get away with just having 4 lanes of iron going the rest of the way. Needs an additional non-bus iron source though (I like to feed it from the end of my steel factory once the steel bus gets saturated).

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Thanks for the info nerds. Was thinking something more like this for circuits though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MedApxoUuo0 something that explains how to actual use the circuit network. Seems relatively easy as it is just basic logic but have to figure out all the weird fuckery the game does to implement it.

Also I found out the hard way that making a giant production line that slaps everything on one belt is prolly not the best idea. Have to wrap my head around that I can expand indefinitely in any direction and that making small specific production lines is better than creating massive modular lines. I just wanted to future proof :qq:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Roflex posted:

Iron sticks too, but you only ever need those in mass quantity for lamps and rails.

Re: Things to bus - I've found it extremely convenient to have a belt of gears and a belt with one lane of gears / one lane of pipe. The latter feeds into my mall, engine builds, steam stuff, and a few other things. You can put the factory for this at the very beginning of your bus and it's basically 3 lanes of iron equivalent, so I can get away with just having 4 lanes of iron going the rest of the way. Needs an additional non-bus iron source though (I like to feed it from the end of my steel factory once the steel bus gets saturated).

Eh, pipe is 1-1, so I prefer making it on site. Gears are great to bus though, as the compression is helpful.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Phssthpok posted:

Belts:
{picture}
Conventional railcar cliche:
{picture}
Drive-thru version, if you can manage to load iron and copper plates into the same cargo wagon:
{picture}
Hey, thanks! I was doing a variation on the railcar cliche. Those are very cool--the drive-thru looks fun. :)

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Eh, pipe is 1-1, so I prefer making it on site. Gears are great to bus though, as the compression is helpful.

It simplifies a lot of builds farther down the bus, which is why I've become a fan of it. For engine builds you just need to bring your mixed belt + steel in, and they're slow enough that unless you're doing super-beaconed ultrabuilds a yellow belt is sufficient (even with needing 2 pipes). You'll probably never need to make more than a steel chest of steam engines, so mixed belt + iron belt is good enough. And it's really nice to throw down an underground-belt mall for pumpjacks, chemical plants, and (if you can slip stone bricks in) refineries.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I dont belt copper cable for red circuits either though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

at least in normal mode, yeah, you can usually get away with building copper wires in place

the only place where it sucks is for the yellow science packs, as the ratio is 15 copper wire to 14 yellow science

i guess running the yellow science a second late each time isn't the end of the world though

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
For my yellow science I built 16 assemblers (instead of the 15 I would need to be consistent with everything else) and have one copper wire assembler feeding into 2 yellow science assemblers. I figured "close enough" since I'm usually starving on Blue or Red circuits for yellow science anyway.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Thought a bit more about using different tiers to get correct ratios instead of different numbers of machines.

This is ratio-perfect and infinitely extendable (until your belts run out, of course). Replace the speed3 in the level 2 assemblers with a speed1 + speed2 to save a little on materials. Spread the rows apart by two extra spaces and use a long inserter or buffer chest to add beacons. Can also add beacons between on the sides by using extra undergrounds.

edit: Each column will produce a module every 80 seconds.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I am close to spooling up blue circuit and module production for my first time. I was waiting until I found a copper patch as that was about to run dry and finally found one that's a minute train ride out.

Can't wait for it to be not enough. It's the only copper patch I have found so far, while iron/stone/coal are plentiful.

Setting up my train system has been very enjoyable. Looking forward to building it out even more and adding circuitry to pickup stations.

I think my next big push will be nuclear power. I haven't touched it yet. What are some hot takes on getting started with it?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Our friendly thread factorio host recently started a new map with Bobs mods (no angels). Come join us!

Roflex posted:

Thought a bit more about using different tiers to get correct ratios instead of different numbers of machines.

This is ratio-perfect and infinitely extendable (until your belts run out, of course). Replace the speed3 in the level 2 assemblers with a speed1 + speed2 to save a little on materials. Spread the rows apart by two extra spaces and use a long inserter or buffer chest to add beacons. Can also add beacons between on the sides by using extra undergrounds.

edit: Each column will produce a module every 80 seconds.

Neat. Beacons are 3x3; just move the bottom two belts down 1 and you can squeeze beacons in just fine in the same column the belts are in.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

blue chips suck. they basically siphon a whole belt of green chips dry in seconds. i feel like i need a dedicated green chip production JUST for blue chips.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
For those looking for a bit more complex game and not just Bobs/Angels again, the author of Anonymods released for 0.15 today.

Get it here

It's not as full on as the EVE was (he seems to have stopped doing that mod) but it's quite a lot more than usual.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

crabrock posted:

blue chips suck. they basically siphon a whole belt of green chips dry in seconds. i feel like i need a dedicated green chip production JUST for blue chips.

Now you're getting it.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I've just started using the bus system. My layout was an embarrassment beforehand, it's still an embarrassment but it's at least more efficient. I've got a pretty solid red and green science production, now moving onto blue.

Yet I still struggle with how the inserters place the items onto which side of the belt.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Roflex posted:

Note that if you just replace the lower tier assembly machines with higher ones you'll instantly gain power and pollution efficiency for free. They'll be "unbalanced" but that's often a lot easier than stamping out more power capacity.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Note that if you just replace the lower tier assembly machines with higher ones you'll instantly gain power and pollution efficiency for free. They'll be "unbalanced" but that's often a lot easier than stamping out more power capacity.

I did eventually figure this out when I did the math. I started to do the math for efficiency modules but then realized the top machine is drawing 80% of the total load in the system and that has no room for efficiency so there's not really that much to gain. Might as well slap any spare eff1s you have in the free slots in machines 2+3 though.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Am I the only one who wants the ability to plant trees? I'm plying on vanilla, but I love the idea of having small factories all over, connected by rail and walking/driving paths with huge swaths of trees filling in the gaps once I'm done building an area. I feel like I clear out enough trees but sometimes I over do it. Or I'd like to fill in a mined area so there isn't a big hole in a forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

El Jebus posted:

Am I the only one who wants the ability to plant trees? I'm plying on vanilla, but I love the idea of having small factories all over, connected by rail and walking/driving paths with huge swaths of trees filling in the gaps once I'm done building an area. I feel like I clear out enough trees but sometimes I over do it. Or I'd like to fill in a mined area so there isn't a big hole in a forest.

I want the opposite. I want the land to brown over, then black out with rivers of acid flowing down my roads as my pollution goes upwards past "out of control" and into "global warming worse than on Venus" :unsmigghh: