Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Allow me to introduce my companions!

We have Gilbert the warrior, a man resembling a 70 year old california surfer.

And Cristof the mage, a man carrying so many scrolls they fly off him comically whenever he is struck.

And of course the party healer, Diana, a ten year old girl. She casts magic by dancing.

OK, OK, sounding good so far- what's the rest of your pitch for Hypothetical JRPG

FirstAidKite posted:

Shadow Hearts series.

Ahh yeah it had that spinning thingy with a kinda risk-reward mechanic where you could try and land it in the teeny little Critical space for higher damage at the risk of completely whiffing

Liked the weirdo characters in those games- favorite from 3 was either the giant talking cat that fought with drunken fist or the buffer/bard guy who was basically an unlicensed amalgamation of those Robert Rodriguez El Mariachi movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Monkey Fracas posted:

After I finish P5 I'm definitely going to get past the opening area in SMT4 and play the rest of the game and then maybe even play SMT4A

might wind up waiting a bit between them so I don't get SMT'd out

The opening of SMT4 owns but I do not blame anyone who bounced off of it. I wouldn't worry too much about not being caught up with what's going on in 4A, because of some weird nonsense most people who finished SMT4 aren't up to date with the events leading up to that game lol. But yea, 4A is better in literally every single way so it's might be worth skipping.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's only one rpg that made good use of statuses and stat buffs. i'm talking about pokemon and maybe earthbound but it's been a very long time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

What are some jrpgs where status effects actually mattered?

I wanna say shadow hearts had some that mattered because everybody had the potential to be overpowered in that game and if you didn't do your buffs right, you could get absolutely wrecked, but if you did do your buffs right, you could stunlock even bosses.

Bravely Default and Second

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've never used stat-boosting or stat-decreasing moves in Pokemon because I don't compete against other humans

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

The last time I tried to talk poo poo about the FF7 remake, someone jumped down my throat for not being up to speed on all the cool stuff they were doing with it.

Since then, I saw my roommate play FF15, and I'm not convinced that splitting FF7 into 3 games as lovely as FF15 and releasing one per decade starting in 2020 is gonna somehow be awesome.

Second paragraph is my thoughts

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm really not a JRPG fan but playing Tales of Berseria I was like "wooooah JRPGs can actually have fun gameplay, maybe I just hate turn-based poo poo"

This is reinforced by the fact that I liked everything about Pokemon Sun and Moon except for the combat.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how every single character in FF8 can be completely broken to do tons and tons of damage and that every system can be broken to let you do tons and tons of damage and that you can do silly things like obtaining the ultimate weapon for squall before the end of disc 1 or playing a surprisingly fun card game in order to get access to stuff you wouldn't normally have access to or just straight up turning off encounters since the game gets harder the higher your level is.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

When I was 10 I tried using a status effect once and it didn't work so I'm pretty sure they're useless in every game ever

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PantsBandit posted:

I'm really not a JRPG fan but playing Tales of Berseria I was like "wooooah JRPGs can actually have fun gameplay, maybe I just hate turn-based poo poo"

This is reinforced by the fact that I liked everything about Pokemon Sun and Moon except for the combat.

Don't let this take you down the path of playing a Star Ocean game though

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Not a JRPG, but Darkest Dungeon does status effects and buffs really well.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PantsBandit posted:

Play Xenoblade Chronicles (the original, not XC X)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Golden Sun was bad

Golden Sun is absolutely horrendous and it never fails to surprise(?) me when every few months there's a neogaf thread about "Golden Sun: a masterpiece"

quite possibly the worst loving RPG story ever created, with some of the most braindead "puzzles" I've ever played

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wouldn't suggest Xenoblade if what they wanted was fun combat....

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i like the thing in golden sun where you can read the npc thoughts

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Play Xenoblade Chronicles (the original, not XC X)

Play XC X as well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I got to world 4 and died QQ. I think arcade mode is just a teensy bit too long, especially if theres a full two worlds after 5 that I havent seen yet.

Dude i lost on verteran to the supreme ai final boss. Lost all my powerups. Then He took 36 continues from me and i lost at the wire on the last life. Game over. He is so hard i basically has to scrub a whole continue if i didnt get the right subweapon.

I said gently caress this is too hard. I juump into rookie and get ending credits after 1cc'ing like 4 worlds. No supreme ai fight in rookie...

I was so mad. Supreme ai is my bitch now. Never playing on a harder difficulty though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

Golden Sun is absolutely horrendous and it never fails to surprise(?) me when every few months there's a neogaf thread about "Golden Sun: a masterpiece"

quite possibly the worst loving RPG story ever created, with some of the most braindead "puzzles" I've ever played

I only ever completed that game once, I was super annoyed because I saved at a point that was a point of no return so I could only fight the final boss and complete the game or I could just restart the game if I wanted to try to complete it 100%. I don't remember anything about that game outside of the cool battle music though and that it was neat to be able to use your skills to manipulate parts of the environment. I always hear people complain about the amount of text, but what about the story itself and the puzzles were bad? I mean, like I said, I don't remember much so if you could fill me in that'd be cool :D

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Going into space in FF8 was cool. Also it had the best ability in the entire series

http://i.imgur.com/Sq9dO99.gifv

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I remember thinking the rhythm-based button press attacks in Legend of Dragoon made the battles fun and engaging but I haven't played that game in years

Are there any other RPGs that have sorta turn-based combat with some manner of engagement beyond picking your moves and watching your characters do them and does it really help the battle system at all? Remember all of the Paper Mario games and all of the Mario+Luigi games being like this

Mother 3
(Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

chumbler posted:

Play XC X as well.

Yeah didn't mean to imply that it's bad. I just haven't played it and didn't want to recommend something I wasn't sure was good or not.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

XCX completely deserved the fate of releasing on a slowly dying console. At least WiiU getting shot behind the shed perhaps spared people from playing that poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I heard they brought back Triple Triad for FF14, that would be the biggest incentive for me to go check it out

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Going into space in FF8 was cool. Also it had the best ability in the entire series

http://i.imgur.com/Sq9dO99.gifv

This is my favourite

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

What are some jrpgs where status effects actually mattered?

I wanna say shadow hearts had some that mattered because everybody had the potential to be overpowered in that game and if you didn't do your buffs right, you could get absolutely wrecked, but if you did do your buffs right, you could stunlock even bosses.

Earthbound has some pretty darn useful ones. FF5, well, it still suffers from Final Fantasy mainstream series' biggest problem of being the series that introduced the idea of status ailments and death spells being pointless, but there are edge cases where that stuff suddenly becomes crazy useful and can be used to completely break bosses. You can look at the fiesta thread for some details.

Help Im Alive posted:

This is my favourite

*miss*

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jay Rust posted:

I've never used stat-boosting or stat-decreasing moves in Pokemon because I don't compete against other humans

:same:

Monkey Fracas posted:

Are there any other RPGs that have sorta turn-based combat with some manner of engagement beyond picking your moves and watching your characters do them and does it really help the battle system at all? Remember all of the Paper Mario games and all of the Mario+Luigi games being like this

Undertale

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

oddium posted:

there's only one rpg that made good use of statuses and stat buffs. i'm talking about pokemon and maybe earthbound but it's been a very long time

mother 3 was pretty big on buffs and debuffs, but never in normal encounters, at least until the part of the game where the boss fights start to get scripted

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I heard they brought back Triple Triad for FF14, that would be the biggest incentive for me to go check it out

holy poo poo they even kept the music lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSYqDJD4_M8

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes but it is an MMO so it isn't quite as simple as beating an opponent and taking their card. Each card has a rarity and you only have a chance of getting it after a win (think of it as a rare drop), and also you have to chase specific NPCs to get them and most of them are only available maybe ten minutes every two hours.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I only ever completed that game once, I was super annoyed because I saved at a point that was a point of no return so I could only fight the final boss and complete the game or I could just restart the game if I wanted to try to complete it 100%. I don't remember anything about that game outside of the cool battle music though and that it was neat to be able to use your skills to manipulate parts of the environment. I always hear people complain about the amount of text, but what about the story itself and the puzzles were bad? I mean, like I said, I don't remember much so if you could fill me in that'd be cool :D

Every single character is an exposition dumpster and nearly every part of the story is filled with moronic plotholes either due to bad writing or inconsistencies juxtaposed with the actual powers the game introduces. It happens constantly and by the end, the story pulls the worst poo poo ever by telling you that the bad guys are actually good and you've wasted your loving time doing all this menial work.

Idk what about the puzzles or using your powers was neat, personally. It amounted to pushing loving rocks or pulling a thing 100 times over the course of the game. You have telekinetic powers and every puzzle amounts to pushing or pulling a thing. That's literally it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

Someone in a previous chat thread posted about how it was "truly the best jrpg of all time" or something like that in this very year. Or maybe it was a chat thread on a different forum. Like, I can totally understand having nostalgia for it if you played it as a kid, but man is that not a good game.

The absolute worst sin of the game is how the already incredibly slow and over-expositing dialogue is constantly interrupted by emoticons that take like 3 entire seconds to pop up.

The only thing the game has going for it is that, for an early GBA Jrpg, it sure was pretty.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lurdiak posted:

Someone in a previous chat thread posted about how it was "truly the best jrpg of all time" or something like that in this very year. Or maybe it was a chat thread on a different forum. Like, I can totally understand having nostalgia for it if you played it as a kid, but man is that not a good game.

my favorite part of golden sun is where you need to cast water magic while in a tornado, except if you open the menu too late, the game disables inputs so it can kick you back to the world map

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The southpark game had good use of buffs and also an active combat system. I dont think i can sit through any more south park content personally even though all reports are that the grid combat system is done amazingly well.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Help Im Alive posted:

This is my favourite

All of the strong attacks in FF8 are just so over the top. It's great.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Didn't FF11 have Tetra Master? I'm glad they switched that garbage card game out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

an actual dog posted:

holy poo poo they even kept the music lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSYqDJD4_M8

:perfect:

I know what I'm doing when I get back to my gaming PC.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Much like Gwent, I don't see how Triple Triad can work if it's balanced to be a multiplayer game. The whole fun of those games is gradually gaining an incredibly overpowered deck and crushing people.

The White Dragon posted:

my favorite part of golden sun is where you need to cast water magic while in a tornado, except if you open the menu too late, the game disables inputs so it can kick you back to the world map

Mine is how its version of Mode 7 allowed it to make you fight enemies that were not only recolors, but also blown up to twice the size of the original enemy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Golden sun is dogshit the opening is like more meaningless text than my posts when i get off work itt.

Like 50 bubbles from every character for an hour all saying inane poo poo i already know

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

:perfect:

I know what I'm doing when I get back to my gaming PC.

lol. and RIP

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I liked the Arena puzzle section from golden sun 2 because it's pretty neat as a puzzle thing.

But I've been playing Wild Arms 3 and man that game does puzzle boss fights p well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The absolute worst sin of the game is how the already incredibly slow and over-expositing dialogue is constantly interrupted by emoticons that take like 3 entire seconds to pop up.

I can understand how other people like games I don't like all the time but man, Golden Sun was truly extraordinary.I can't imagine playing a 30 to 40 hour JRPG with a poo poo-tier story, it's mainly why I couldn't finish a few FF games and XCX, and Golden Sun as a series deserves some kind of anti-Oscar for the script

• Locked thread