Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's not even remotely the biggest rookie deal.

Big dog got like 70 million iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Eltoasto posted:

Joe Young is out the door as soon as PG leaves I bet.

Eh, that's no big loss.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

morestuff posted:

I was wondering why they'd let McLemore walk for nothing, this makes a lot more sense than Malachi's minutes

McLemore is out the door even if Bogdan comes over. Pretty much both sides think a fresh start is needed. Right now he's not worth the QO and he's seen as a reclamation project so a sign-and-trade wouldn't bring anything

He has no BBIQ or confidence and the two feed off each other. He's never been consistent with even his reduced roles

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

euphronius posted:

That's not even remotely the biggest rookie deal.

Big dog got like 70 million iirc

On an annual basis.

Robinson's deal was over 10 years.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I've had some time to think about this and I have come to a further conclusion: this sucks

Someone convince me this isn't the trade that will ruin Morey's reputation forever because goddamn is it shamefully bad imo

Old-rear end man Chris Paul isn't helping us beat the Spurs much less the Warriors

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/880164438216757248

lol

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

fast cars loose anus posted:

I've had some time to think about this and I have come to a further conclusion: this sucks

Someone convince me this isn't the trade that will ruin Morey's reputation forever because goddamn is it shamefully bad imo

Old-rear end man Chris Paul isn't helping us beat the Spurs much less the Warriors

wat?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

You traded some average and above average players for the best PG in the league :confused:

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

In all likelihood it'll end in a buy out but is there a reason not to wait and see if we can get some value back?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Space Camp fuckup posted:

You traded some average and above average players for the best PG in the league :confused:

We had close enough to the best PG in the league and lost a great defensive backup and some other stuff and a first round pick to get a guy who, imo, doesn't move the needle

Seriously explain to me how Chris Paul improves our chances of winning a title given that we our now going to have to split minutes between him and our near-MVP point guard.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Boosh! posted:

In all likelihood it'll end in a buy out but is there a reason not to wait and see if we can get some value back?

Distraction and the 50,000 articles people will write about what a mess the Knicks are and why can't they find a place for Carmelo, etc etc. I don't think I'd buy him out either but I get the pressure.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

We had close enough to the best PG in the league and lost a great defensive backup and some other stuff and a first round pick to get a guy who, imo, doesn't move the needle

Seriously explain to me how Chris Paul improves our chances of winning a title given that we our now going to have to split minutes between him and our near-MVP point guard.

They can play together

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

chris paul is not particularly old and is still solidly in his prime for a few more years. and its likely even just out of his prime 34 and 35 year old chris paul will be very very good

the age curve for stars in the nba is not that severe

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They can score more points in a game.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Any word if Phil Jackson skipped his exit interview?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They will both be on the floor at the same time.

CP3 is as good of a defensive player as Beverley at least, but does like 10,000 other things.

That First round pick was not valuable.

Lou Williams hurts a little bit, but again, CP3 will do WAYYY more than Sweet Lou does so... don't worry about it.

Houston was capped out already anyway, so there wasn't a lot else they could do yet managed to get CP3 for nothing.

I don't think this is quite as bad of a fleecing as the TWolves got from the Bulls, but it's really, really close.

Edit: Like, I am on board that this will not be as good as it might look on paper, but they are inarguably better and they got better for nothing so you do that 10 times out of 10. Unless you are very worried about the cash considerations paid out for DeAndre Liggins.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
To be fair I don't follow the NBA as much as the NFL and MLB and I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong but if this team as constructed right now gets past the Warriors it will be a stunning upset

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

You added an MVP caliber player jfc.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Further proving that the culture is the problem. It doesn't sound like there's ever a lot of conflicting opinions spoken aloud in the Knicks front office.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

adding a second insanely good player doubles the amount of insanely good players on your team. a massive improvement in Insanely Good Players. maximising your IGPs is how you win in the nba

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

To be fair I don't follow the NBA as much as the NFL and MLB and I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong but if this team as constructed right now gets past the Warriors it will be a stunning upset

There was really no other route that gets them any closer though. They had like a 5% chance of getting past the Warriors, now they have like a 10% chance. That's Good!

(actually I kinda like them more than a 10% because injuries and weirdness happen all the time)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Earvin Johnson traded Lou Williams for a deep pick and a non-expiring Corey Brewer contract. Morey traded him for Chris Paul.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I could be overreacting like I said but I just don't buy that Chris Paul is gonna change anything enough to matter

And I irrationally like Pat Beverley that's probably part of it

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

You're overreacting. You should be thrilled. Chris Paul is incredible.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

I got it guys:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zeryjzm

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Harden is going to change not Paul.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Earvin Johnson traded Lou Williams for a deep pick and a non-expiring Corey Brewer contract. Morey traded him for Chris Paul.

Him and Pat Bev was signed off the street for, like, 9th man money.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I could be overreacting like I said but I just don't buy that Chris Paul is gonna change anything enough to matter

everything bev can do paul does plus can actually create for others and himself

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Yeah dude...just come off the ledge. It's going to be okay. Your team will probably make the WCF.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

pubic works project posted:

Your team will probably make the WCF.

Well, but. CP3 though.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Lockback posted:

Well, but. CP3 though.

Lmao oh poo poo I forgot.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Yeah dude...just come off the ledge. It's going to be okay. Your team will probably make the WCF.

I probably am overreacting, its a bad habit of mine

I'll certainly be watching them next year to see what happens

yo5ty
Jun 12, 2007
The Rockets did what basically every GM in the league is trying to do right now, trade a bunch of solid NBA players and role players for a Superstar. If the only measure of success was winning a championship, then yeah this probably isn't going to be enough, but the Rockets are a better team today than yesterday.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Lockback posted:

There was really no other route that gets them any closer though. They had like a 5% chance of getting past the Warriors, now they have like a 10% chance. That's Good!

(actually I kinda like them more than a 10% because injuries and weirdness happen all the time)

This part I agree with without arguing about percentages, I do understand Morey's line about having to go all in

I just am not sure this is the winning move but then again maybe another better move was not available

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

This part I agree with without arguing about percentages, I do understand Morey's line about having to go all in

I just am not sure this is the winning move but then again maybe another better move was not available

You'll be singing a different tune when Morey fleeces Pritchard and gets Paul George too.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

You'll be singing a different tune when Morey fleeces Pritchard and gets Paul George too.

That would certainly change the equation

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This was a deal organized by Chris Paul but morey did a good job getting it done

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Worrying about the Warriors is dumb. The Rockets couldn't get past San Antonio and didn't look particularly amazing against an OKC team of Westbrook and Some Dudes.

Houston just turned 3 quarters into a dollar.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/880170853568094208

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

Philadlephia is obsessed with Boston and the celtics

It's up there with Dallas Cowboys obsession

It's up there, but still pretty far from being a Dallas Cowboys degree of hate; e.g. having a Cowboys bumper sticker is a realllllly good way to get your windshield smashed.

• Locked thread