Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Even if you lose the case on the merits, the law allows plaintiffs to make the defendant pay their legal fees and additional civil penalties if they can show that they did it to "disparage agriculture" or that it had the effect of hurting an agricultural business.

The law lets you collect penalties even if you lose the case, but it doesn't let you collect the full amount that you sued for if you lose.

It also establishes a very low bar of civil liability, but only for civil cases involving agriculture.

So, you can win the case without even proving anything other than the other side did something that had the effect of potentially hurting agriculture in South Dakota.

where do you see this? Is it not this law? http://sdlegislature.gov/statutes/DisplayStatute.aspx?Statute=20-10A&Type=Statute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Dems need to run on the GOP health care bill in 2018 even if it doesn't pass.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ol Standard Retard posted:

^^ well at least there was SOME context

what is even the context of bringing up a basketball team... in a baseball...

He thought since the Warriors publicly decided not to show that they had booked the Cavs for a Whitehouse visit instead, is my explanation.

He thinks any NBA team would ever want to see him is the funny part.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Crow Jane posted:

That'll never cease to amaze me. I'm acutely aware of the fact I live in a blue bubble, but honestly, what's to like? I keep trying to see the appeal and coming up with nothing

He's an out of shape dumb bigot who says mean things because he's angry and scared of change.

Now I've got some bad news for you about much of the US.....

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Even if you lose the case on the merits, the law allows plaintiffs to make the defendant pay their legal fees and additional civil penalties if they can show that they did it to "disparage agriculture" or that it had the effect of hurting an agricultural business.

The law lets you collect penalties even if you lose the case, but it doesn't let you collect the full amount that you sued for if you lose.

It also establishes a very low bar of civil liability, but only for civil cases involving agriculture.

So, you can win the case without even proving anything other than the other side did something that had the effect of potentially hurting agriculture in South Dakota.

Jesus, how can you even field a test case against that kind of statute? That's loving insane.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Josh Lyman posted:

Then why do 100% of hospital bills seem outrageous?

Also the NFL is a non-profit so

Probably late on this but being a nonprofit doesn't mean anything. I know one hospital in the state where I live that has about 300 million in liquid assets. They keep these assets in a separate foundation to keep them off of their main set of books in order to not deter potential donors who want to see how needy the organization they're giving to is. It would be difficult for anyone to get to that money, but one operation amassing that kind of wealth certainly isn't acting in the spirit of a nonprofit. Execs all get crazy bonuses and salaries too.

E: also I meant to quote the guy you were quoting, aware you're probably agreeing with the point I'm trying to make.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 28, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Josh Lyman posted:

Then why do 100% of hospital bills seem outrageous?

Also the NFL is a non-profit so

To be fair, the NFL is non-profit, but the teams themselves very much are not

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

haveblue posted:

The wording of that tweet makes it sound like he supports making it essential (pushing back against removing it from essential health benefits).

If someone says this, I hope the immediately reply is that Jesus provided free health care to all comers.

I've used this very argument in my FB with some of my idiot co workers. The responses were..... Interesting.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Why Kevin James?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
If you want a solid cry or a brutal contrast with the America of 2017, then look at this video of what the President of the United States was doing exactly two years ago and try to imagine this happening with President Donald J. Trump.

http://wapo.st/1LBbIdF

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/cthulhu4america/status/880124022717112320

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

If you want a solid cry or a brutal contrast with the America of 2017, then look at this video of what the President of the United States was doing exactly two years ago and try to imagine this happening with President Donald J. Trump.

http://wapo.st/1LBbIdF

Just the fact that someone as ignorant, incompetent and vile as Trump can get elected President will debase the office for the rest of the time it exists.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mcmagic posted:

Just the fact that someone as ignorant, incompetent and vile as Trump can get elected President will debase the office for the rest of the time it exists.

By those standards it was already debased a long time ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

By those standards it was already debased a long time ago.

This is a new low.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

mcmagic posted:

You mean the thing the Bushes, Nixon, Reagan, Jackson and Wilson had but apparently didn't debase?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

In terms of straight disrespecting the office of President who would be second on the list assuming Trump is already at the top? Nixon?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

mcmagic posted:

This is a new low.

In terms of professionalism and demeanor, probably*. In terms of presidential evil, it's hard to do worse than literally owning and raping humans as chattel.

*I mean, it's really loving hard to beat Jackson or Harrison's comatose body.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So Collins, Heller and Paul seem a million miles away from supporting the bill at this point. And then you still have to deal with the other tea party crazies.

I am cautiously optimistic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Crabtree posted:

You mean the thing the Bushes, Nixon, Reagan, Jackson and Wilson had but apparently didn't debase?

He's more incompetent stupider and more vile than all of them. That doesn't mean he's a worse president, yet.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Like at the end of the day, if the country is still around and is powerful, the world's gonna talk poo poo about America even if it becomes the most benevolent force on earth and gives everyone free money and prosperity. Trump wasn't going to change this, its just new context for anyone around the world to bring up. We could have a dog for 46 and they'd scratch his ears and go, "Look who isn't saying bad things about Mexicans - yes its you!"

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Crabtree posted:

Like at the end of the day, if the country is still around and is powerful, the world's gonna talk poo poo about America even if it becomes the most benevolent force on earth and gives everyone free money and prosperity. Trump wasn't going to change this, its just new context for anyone around the world to bring up. We could have a dog for 46 and they'd scratch his ears and go, "Look who isn't saying bad things about Mexicans - yes its you!"

So, you think all the poo poo talk is entirely unwarranted?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Crabtree posted:

I strongly support the campaign of President Dog, particularly his strong stances on walks, which continue the campaign laid down by First Lady Michelle Obama to reduce childhood obesity.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Crabtree posted:

As woke an opinion as "haters gonna hate" is, there's plenty of good sentiment towards America, much of it earned, much of it not, around the world.

Obama was GREAT for our image. Trump confirms all of the world's worst fears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7APmRkatEU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Crabtree posted:

If a country's population can elect someone like Trump President that signals to the rest of the world that that population is completely untrustworthy, unstable and unreliable and that will change the way countries deal with us forever, even if the next few presidents are nothing like Trump.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mind_Taker posted:

In terms of straight disrespecting the office of President who would be second on the list assuming Trump is already at the top? Nixon?

The dude who sexually assaulted an intern in the oval office has gotta be up there

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Quorum posted:

I strongly support the campaign of President Dog, particularly his strong stances on walks, which continue the campaign laid down by First Lady Michelle Obama to reduce childhood obesity.

President V. Goodboy 2020

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Collins, Heller and Paul seem a million miles away from supporting the bill at this point. And then you still have to deal with the other tea party crazies.

I am cautiously optimistic.
It's sort of a Catch-22 situation. As long as the Moderates can point to the Crazies and the Crazies can point to the Moderates as the ones killing the bill, they can both avoid taking the fallout for killing the bill; mutual opposition gives each side cover. But if one side folds, the other will instantly fall in line to avoid catching all the blame; it's what ended up happening in the House. So it's actually a more fragile opposition than it first appears. If Mitch can knock one down, he can knock them all down.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/880151542413881345

its been an hour :argh:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

FizFashizzle posted:

Can we talk about trump going to Paris after the G20 summit because it doesn't make any sense at all.

He basically cancelled his england trip because of how much he'd be protested, and the technical prime minister of england has embraced him as a friend.

Macron went out of his way to humiliate him, both in public and behind closed doors with other leaders, and the french will build barricades if he goes into Paris.

I think he just scheduled it so he could cancel at the last minute and be a dick.

I like to think he's been assured that his visit will be only exposed to supporters and dignitaries, and at some point he'll be faced with hundreds of thousands of protesters jeering him and Marcon shrugging it off as "free speech". Probably not, but who knows, it's not like Macron has to pretend they're best buds.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

yeah, if you ever try reading legislation it is completely loving unreadable and no amateur could ever do it

it's like "line 34 of section 23 of title 32 of the united states code is hereby modified to replace the phrase "; or" with "but not including"" etc etc etc, you cannot read it and have any loving clue what it does without spending an hour with a copy of the united states code, a pad of paper, and a team of lawyers

Rules and Regulations on the other hand tend to be very easy to read and understand.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

stillvisions posted:

I like to think he's been assured that his visit will be only exposed to supporters and dignitaries, and at some point he'll be faced with hundreds of thousands of protesters jeering him and Marcon shrugging it off as "free speech". Probably not, but who knows, it's not like Macron has to pretend they're best buds.

Macron: if you get back on board with the Paris Agreement we'll rebrand the Eiffel Tower as Trump Tower Paris and the Arc de Triomphe as the Arc de Trump.
Trump: ok that sounds tremendous.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

stillvisions posted:

It's heartwarming to remember that Trump is statistically more likely to run into a Guillotine in France than anywhere else.

And they have a history of rudely awakening nepotistic despots.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol even morning joe is mocking trump over the time cover

https://twitter.com/JoeNBC/status/880165816125325312

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/RobbySlowik/status/880110004342312964

:perfect:

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

awesmoe posted:

The dude who sexually assaulted an intern in the oval office has gotta be up there

Except that for most of the world it was a consensual encounter between two adults and really none of our loving business.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the monica thing was sleezy as hell but it was consensual

there's definitely power dynamics at issue which is part of why it was sleezy as hell but those pale in comparison to pussy-grabber-in-chief

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

awesmoe posted:

You don't know a lot of presidential history, do you?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Shifty Pony posted:

Rules and Regulations on the other hand tend to be very easy to read and understand.

I don't really know a lot about American law books. But in Germany the laws are written in an extremely obtuse and unreadable, but ridiculously exact way. Like all the complicated text has to be added, in order to clarify the exact statement and tighten loopholes so much, that not even a jinn could slip through. In a way it's actually quite beautiful. But as a mathematician, I am rather fond of exact statements which define a well ordered system.

I've always assumed it worked similarly with your laws. But then again, it's also easy to hide obscene abuses in such texts.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I'm not saying he's number one worst president ever, but the question was "disrespect the office of the president" and using the figurative office to procure sex and the literal office to perform it in is disrespectful.
thats without getting into the capital p problematic power issues between an intern and the president of the united states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Skippy Granola posted:

So, you think all the poo poo talk is entirely unwarranted?

No, any nation who isn't powerful suffers from those who are on top. Its why we won the American Revolution in the first place, everyone loving hated England when they were on top and for mostly justifiable reasons.Trump is a nightmare, but I'm also remembering back when people said poo poo about Dubya and the horror stories people gave about Reagan era goosestepping that would make Trump look like its nothing if only because of how good they were at being evil and victorious. Depending on what he does he'll either just be an embarrassment and murderer of people in his own country or outside of it depending on he actually succeeds in dragging us into another war or escalating the War on Terror. Obama sure as poo poo didn't stop the drone strikes of civilians but people seem to love him now especially when Trump's at the helm.

• Locked thread