Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

PainterofCrap posted:

1) Homeowner finds mold.
2) Calls remediation company.
3) Company tests, freaks out HO with tales of imminent doom;
4) remediation company (usually tied to the testing company. Shock) starts gutting the entire house, HO has to move into a hotel;
5) insurance company eventually is called, investigates;
6) a) finds the cause is not covered. Homeowner is screwed completely.
6) b) is covered, but the affected area is far smaller than what Conan the Destructarian did to the house. HO is partially screwed.
7) HO gives up first-born male child to get $$ to rebuild the house & pay 6-month hotel bill.

Wasn't there a King of the Hill episodes about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yup. After the Mold Rush.

That's more or less exactly the plot too.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

NancyPants posted:

It would probably make a lot more trouble for them when they start charging people to look at photos for which they don't own the copyright.
Also people would probably stop using them as much. It's hard to convince people to start paying for something they used to get for free.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

deoju posted:

Somebody probably got butt hurt that their gently caress ugly house was on mcmansion hell and complained to zillow. Like anybody shopping for a mcmansion would be the kind of person to read the blog.

Teenagers. The owners don't need to be people who enjoy the blog, they just need to know someone who does.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
My GF had fungus from mold in the walls colonize her ear, (she said the drops they gave her were the most pain she'd ever endured) it also gave the cat backnee.
They barely treated it so we moved.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

My GF had fungus from mold in the walls colonize her ear, (she said the drops they gave her were the most pain she'd ever endured) it also gave the cat backnee.
They barely treated it so we moved.

you should keep your realdoll in a dry place

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bozart posted:

you should keep your realdoll in a dry place

:laugh:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

What constitutes a mold remediation product? Certain chemicals? I moved from a high desert to a semi-rainforest, so this is relevant to my cleaning interests.

Basically, products which are specifically designed and marketed as mold remediation products are the best. Antifungal agents are pretty good and there are fairly low-toxicity products if you have pets. Concrobium for example says that it is safe to use around pets and children, to the extent they're recommending its use on childrens' bath toys and claiming it is 100% non-toxic.

I personally don't think you should let it get in a baby's mouth despite those claims, but I'm confident it's safer and more effective than bleach. There are other brands as well, and specialized products for specific applications/purposes. For example, BBJ makes something specifically for floors and walls. Just google for mold control products and you should find what you need (the first page is almost entirely about Concrobium but keep paging through). Ignore hippy-dippy websites telling you to use natural remedies IMO.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Leperflesh posted:

Basically, products which are specifically designed and marketed as mold remediation products are the best. Antifungal agents are pretty good and there are fairly low-toxicity products if you have pets. Concrobium for example says that it is safe to use around pets and children, to the extent they're recommending its use on childrens' bath toys and claiming it is 100% non-toxic.

I personally don't think you should let it get in a baby's mouth despite those claims, but I'm confident it's safer and more effective than bleach. There are other brands as well, and specialized products for specific applications/purposes. For example, BBJ makes something specifically for floors and walls. Just google for mold control products and you should find what you need (the first page is almost entirely about Concrobium but keep paging through). Ignore hippy-dippy websites telling you to use natural remedies IMO.

So what you are saying is I can just use white vinegar?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wasn't there a King of the Hill episodes about this?

I think also a SImpsons episode.

With respect to what a "mold remediation cleaner" is: Mold is a fungus. Anti-fungals are an incredibly nasty set of chemicals, which will gently caress your poo poo up worse than mold if not used properly. I will stand correction, but I do not think there are many actual fungicides out there, at least, none I know of that can be safely used indoors.

The best you can do is clean, clean, clean with your basic household cleaning products, and try to permanently knock at least one of the three legs out from under the Mold Houseparty triad.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 29, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Note to self: don't hire draughtsmen based 1000km downcountry.

Boundaries of property as drawn by draughter:

What boundaries actually looked like:

The digger driver was a bit alarmed when the offset to the back boundary overlapped the house site by 7 meters.

I wouldn't use a level benchmark based 100km away when there's another one 50km away either, but hey, what do I know, I'm just a field ape.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those aren't even similar shapes how the hell.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Baronjutter posted:

Those aren't even similar shapes how the hell.

Mercator projection, I bet.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's New Zealand, so everything should be in transverse mercator :pwn:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

I will stand correction, but I do not think there are many actual fungicides out there, at least, none I know of that can be safely used indoors.

I use something very similar to this which claims to both be a fungicide and (the version I have) makes big noises about avoiding organic contact with it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polycell-Mould-Killer-Spray-500/dp/B004S67HJY

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

I will stand correction, but I do not think there are many actual fungicides out there, at least, none I know of that can be safely used indoors.

I'm confused. Aren't you an expert? Are you claiming that Concrobium etc. aren't fungicides?

There are antifungal drugs, so we know there must be human-safe antifungals.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK8263/

And some of them have been around for decades. Athlete's foot is a fungus infection. They've been advertising effective athlete's foot fungucides my entire life and I'm in my 40s.

That said: mold is a fungus but it's specifically a subset of funguses (all molds are multicellular, whereas for example single-celled molds are called yeasts). An anti-mold product can therefore be more specifically targeted than a broad, general antifungal agent. So maybe what you're saying is that while there are clearly several anti-mold agents sold over the counter that are reasonably or entirely safe, they're not broad-spectrum fungicides that kill all types of fungus?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Benzarid kills mold dead as gently caress, and you can get it from Dollar Tree labeled as Pine Glo for 12 bucks a case

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PainterofCrap posted:

With respect to what a "mold remediation cleaner" is: Mold is a fungus. Anti-fungals are an incredibly nasty set of chemicals, which will gently caress your poo poo up worse than mold if not used properly. I will stand correction, but I do not think there are many actual fungicides out there, at least, none I know of that can be safely used indoors.

The best you can do is clean, clean, clean with your basic household cleaning products, and try to permanently knock at least one of the three legs out from under the Mold Houseparty triad.

I think you're thinking of the sulfur-based stuff which is pretty poisonous in high concentrations. But there are actually a lot of anti fungal/fungicide products out there that are safe to use in your home and on your body. No one is getting their poo poo hosed up by their Monistat treatment.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Smear a pea-sized amount of vaginal cream onto a small head, soft toothbrush. Apply the cream to the base of the window using small, circular movement. Brush behind and underneath window locks, and along weatherproofing. Remove all cats, inspirational vinyl stickers or decorative seashells from sill before use.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

PainterofCrap posted:

Fun Fact: mold is everywhere. it's in your house right now. Only when mold-house-party conditions converge: moisture, lack of light, and the right temperatures - do you see concentrations. Clean it up & move on.

I'd honestly be more concerned with old asbestos pipe insulation and popcorn ceilings or tiles becoming airborne than mold. Mold makes my shower curtain smell funny until I wash it, asbestos can legit gently caress your lungs up on the DNA level.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

peanut posted:

Smear a pea-sized amount of vaginal cream onto a small head, soft toothbrush. Apply the cream to the base of the window using small, circular movement. Brush behind and underneath window locks, and along weatherproofing. Remove all cats, inspirational vinyl stickers or decorative seashells from sill before use.
My :siren: girl friend :siren: says the toothbrush tickles.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

My favorite part of the whole Zillow thing is that for the MMH lady, seeing all these prominent legal minds come marching to her defense is the closest thing in life anyone will ever come to meeting The Avengers.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PainterofCrap posted:

Is it true that using a UV light will kill mold?

Something more intense than the CSI jizz finding light obviously.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 29, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

PopeCrunch posted:

My favorite part of the whole Zillow thing is that for the MMH lady, seeing all these prominent legal minds come marching to her defense is the closest thing in life anyone will ever come to meeting The Avengers.

In my mind, it is like moment in an episode of The A-Team when the bad guy is threatening a little kid and there is a loud, wooden explosion and B.A. Baracus is standing in the doorway, with bits of door crumbling in his fists and and angry look on his face.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Trending on imgur, this photo of a tire that went thru a wall.

hmm...

Yeah, I can see why that didn't stop anything.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Load-bearing whipped cream with stucco veneer. We have reached peak crappy construction.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
How does a small breeze not blow over a styrofoam wall?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Neutrino posted:

My guess is the non visible corner pillars are "real".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neutrino posted:

Styrofoam is actually really good for impacts, it's why your car bumper is filled with it. Of course car bumpers also tend to have something more substantive than stucco on the other side.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Iron Crowned posted:

Styrofoam is actually really good for impacts, it's why your car bumper is filled with it. Of course car bumpers also tend to have something more substantive than stucco on the other side.

It also tends not to have much flexability before it snaps.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you look at the right side of the impact, it looks like there is a real pole inside, so I assume that it involves placing regular posts like you were putting up a wire fence or something similar, and putting up the styrofoam around/over them.

I wonder what happens if someone kicks a ball into it. I'm betting a decent bounce would have the stucco cracking off.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Figured I'd share, in case anyone missed it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734807&perpage=40&pagenumber=89#post473867555

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Making a sound wall out of insulating foam probably works really well for reducing noise, but lol at the lack of durability

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

All I can see is a giant klondike bar.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Man, the forums never forget your sins.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Polio Vax Scene posted:

All I can see is a giant klondike bar.

Yeah, but what would you do for it?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

duz posted:

hmm...

Oh Yeah! - tire probably

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

duz posted:

hmm...

New border wall lookin’ good. :trumppop:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
This counts as crappy construction right?

Cuomo Declares a State of Emergency for New York City Subways

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/29/nyregion/cuomo-declares-a-state-of-emergency-for-the-subway.html

Americas infrastructure is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Lime Tonics posted:

This counts as crappy construction right?

Cuomo Declares a State of Emergency for New York City Subways

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/29/nyregion/cuomo-declares-a-state-of-emergency-for-the-subway.html

Americas infrastructure is hosed.
Why would us Americans pay for something that's only for poors? Seems like a bad plan