Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

That Initial D machine is in Sega Joypolis in Odaiba. Prepare for massive queues. Shinjuku and Akihabara in general are good for arcades, and Anata no Warehouse in Kawasaki has a really cool aesthetic.

Also be prepared for the hydraulic platform movements to not really match what you're doing with the car. It felt completely wrong and straight up ignored many of the turns I took.

leather fedora posted:

This only applies if you'll be in Japan before July 17, since they'll be closing it down after then.
What the gently caress!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Thanks internet friends. I'm not gonna be in Tokyo until the first week of January so I'll be missing the one in Odaiba. :smith:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Japan really needs to move up one timezone, this whole "getting light at 4 a.m." thing is ridiculous.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All of Asia is off because old people did it, I think.

Here in China the entire country is Beijing time, which works out okay in Sichuan because it's at least an hour off and therefore is reasonable.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Moon Slayer posted:

Japan really needs to move up one timezone, this whole "getting light at 4 a.m." thing is ridiculous.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm glad this wasn't just me. When I was there last month on multiple occasions I woke up to a bright sunny day and saw it was like 4:45.

poo poo ain't right.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It sucks. Especially because its fully dark by 7pm.

It's just because they want to be an hour ahead of China. That me first poo poo is endemic through the region.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Dark by 7 pm isn't that big of an issue for me though it getting dark by 4:30 pm, and that's during autumn, is.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Doesn't look that off to me:

Actually it doesn't look like it could be better even with a .5 timezone. :shrug:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
sunrise was 4:09am here in northeast china, first light must have been around 3:40something, i dunno, woke up at 4:15 and it was already bright

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Grim Up North posted:

Doesn't look that off to me:

Actually it doesn't look like it could be better even with a .5 timezone. :shrug:

Anything green on that map is in the wrong time zone. Anything white is too if they don't do daylight saving time (which is dumb, btw). gently caress aligning with solar noon.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Poor Vladivostok, west of Tokyo but 2 hours ahead :ussr:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

zmcnulty posted:

Poor Vladivostok, west of Tokyo but 2 hours ahead :ussr:

No, poor us. The sun is probably still up at like 10PM there. Sun setting before 8 in Summer is BS.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fix It posted:

No, poor us. The sun is probably still up at like 10PM there. Sun setting before 8 in Summer is BS.

Not in Singapore or Australia :downsrim:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I recently landed a new job that's gonna have me in Japan for a few years, and I've been poking around trying to find out what to do about cellphones. Is there an accepted way to keep using my current cellphone, or am I gonna have to get a new one - in which case, what are the best arrangements to look out for?

I ask because my contact for the job made it sound like I'd need to get a new phone with a new phone plan, but also confessed he wasn't 100% sure and encouraged me to look into it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Is there any particular reason you want to keep your current phone if you could get a new one in Japan? Make your company pay for it; they're already sending you to Japan, they should have the budget to get you a phone.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Saving myself the hastle, mosty. If there's a way I could just keep using my current phone, I'd prefer that over getting a new one.

I also only just finished paying this one off, and its in my nature to avoid unnecessary expenditures if possible, even on someone else's dime.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

There's little to no chance you're going to be able to get a Japanese company to put your foreign phone on a Japanese cell phone plan.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

If the phone is unlocked and supports the proper LTE bands, you can use it with any of the MVNOs. Whether or not your company is willing to pay the bill is a different story.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Bad Seafood posted:

Saving myself the hastle, mosty. If there's a way I could just keep using my current phone, I'd prefer that over getting a new one.

I also only just finished paying this one off, and its in my nature to avoid unnecessary expenditures if possible, even on someone else's dime.

If it's a SIM-free phone, it's likely you can just get one of the MVNO plans. Even if your company insists you go with Docomo you can just sign up on your own for one of these plans, they're pretty cheap. (I felt like Rocky punching out Apollo Creed when I finally ditched Softbank for an MVNO.)

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Is 4 hours enough for a international to domestic transfer from NRT to HND? That seems like not enough time considering customs and transfer time, but that's what this award flight I'm looking at is offering.

Also, has anyone taken the ferry from Fukuoka to Osaka? Think it's worth the experience over taking a bullet train?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'd say about an hour from wheels down to clearing customs, wait a few minutes for the direct bus to Haneda (they pick up from right outside arrival terminal, depart every 20 mins or so), then an hour-ish bus ride. Domestic departures at Haneda are laughably easy, even if you arrive at the airport 30 minutes prior to departure you should be fine. So I think 4 hours is plenty.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah, 4 hours sounds good. Domestic is easy cheesy* minimal check-in

*not cheesy :(

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
domestic airports remind me that holy poo poo bentos are a thing and way better than airplane food here in the US

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

.Z. posted:

Also, has anyone taken the ferry from Fukuoka to Osaka? Think it's worth the experience over taking a bullet train?

Considering that the fastest train from Fukuoka to Osaka takes 3+ hours, the ferry sounds like it'd take a whole day? 12 hours looking at the Osaka ferry website. If you got the time why not.
I may be wrong but I don't think it's really all that much cheaper than the train though.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Stumbling Block posted:

Considering that the fastest train from Fukuoka to Osaka takes 3+ hours, the ferry sounds like it'd take a whole day? 12 hours looking at the Osaka ferry website. If you got the time why not.
I may be wrong but I don't think it's really all that much cheaper than the train though.

It's an overnight ferry which is what piqued my interest. But yeah, it's a bit of a trip though, on top of it's own transit time, there is the time getting to and from the ferry terminals. As for cost, I'm not looking to save any money, it just looked like an interesting way to move around Japan. But it doesn't seem worth it for such a large transit time.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 28, 2017

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

.Z. posted:

It's an overnight ferry which is what piqued my interest. But yeah, it's a bit of a trip though, on top of it's own transit time, there is the time getting to and from the ferry terminals. As for cost, I'm not looking to save any money, it just looked like an interesting way to move around Japan. But it doesn't seem worth it for such a large transit time.

I'm going to Korea via the same route this summer purely because the sea between Shikoku and Honshu is beautiful and I want to ride a boat through it.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

.Z. posted:

Overnight ferries might lock you inside and cover up all the windows (the ones from Aomori to Hokkaido do at least. Fine if you just want to sleep, but terrible if you want to catch the stars or the sunrise.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
what's my options look like if i get into Haneda at 11pm. will the subways be open and stuff? will i end up sleeping at baggage claim?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Haneda has nice chairs for sleeping on.

And I like your new avatar, GTA.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
if they are really good for sleeping, that's fine, i've spent the night in Incheon more than once, and also spent the night in PEK, so if that's what i end up doing, it's all good

thx for the kind words about the avatar, i like it too, though i wish the person had actually put some actual chinese pinyin instead of "hing" and "ching", as those are not actual chinese pinyin :sigh:

you can't always get what you want, i guess

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The Great Autismo! posted:

what's my options look like if i get into Haneda at 11pm. will the subways be open and stuff? will i end up sleeping at baggage claim?

Where are you considering staying? The monorail to Hamamatsuchou runs until around 0:10. Last train to Shinagawa is at midnight.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DiscoJ posted:

Where are you considering staying? The monorail to Hamamatsuchou runs until around 0:10. Last train to Shinagawa is at midnight.

wife and son and i would like to stay in Ueno like we did last year but we haven't booked anything yet. i'm fine crashing somewhere near the airport the first night, or even in the airport if there's a 24 hour bar or restaurant. i can pull an all nighter reading no problem if a starbucks or something is open. dunno if they'll kick me out of the airport at some point, though

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Busses leave for Shinjuku once an hour until like two or three am from Haneda I know. Probably a similar deal for Ueno.

Train access to Haneda is kinda jacked in the first place, so your best bet is usually busses.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
that was very helpful Stringent. thank you.

i guess i'll just take a bus downtown and go from there.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I can even go one better, here ya go: https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus_services/haneda/index

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
you are cool and good imo

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
pick a night from 12-15 if you want me to buy you some beer and you want to hear my racist hot takes

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
just leave Yale out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Hey TGA I'll buy you a beer if we can talk about Maine poo poo.

Also hi thread I haven't logged on to SA in like a month but I'm moving to Singapore in like, a month to 6 weeks; basically as fast as they can process my visa.

Saraba goonbros