Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

evilweasel posted:

lol even morning joe is mocking trump over the time cover

https://twitter.com/JoeNBC/status/880165816125325312

It's pretty funny how much Joe's trying to course-correct after gaining a reputation of incessantly and shamelessly fawning over Trump during the campaign.

Still, credit where credit's due, not a bad burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is a pretty good reason to be optimistic. The moron MAGA horde gets a lot of their marching orders from talk radio, but they aren't being told to go after GOP Senators who aren't on board. They have given up and moved on

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/880170026984255488

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jaxyon posted:

You don't know a lot of presidential history, do you?

I suspect, based on the evidence available, that "rapist" may be correlated more strongly with "U.S. President" than with any other American profession.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

awesmoe posted:

I'm not saying he's number one worst president ever, but the question was "disrespect the office of the president" and using the figurative office to procure sex and the literal office to perform it in is disrespectful.
thats without getting into the capital p problematic power issues between an intern and the president of the united states

Didn't LBJ whip out his junk in front of reporters?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I suspect, based on the evidence available, that "rapist" may be correlated more strongly with "U.S. President" than with any other American profession.

Does "serial killer" count as a profession? We've had a lot of them, it's gotta be at least a cottage industry

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

You'd think that our federal judiciary, so concerned with protecting the due process rights of class action defendants in the face of pressure, would be on top of that ag gag type of stuff. But they aren't. I wonder what the difference could be?

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 28, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/kelseymsutton/status/880171470349111296

Wow gently caress MSNBC.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

You'd think that our federal judiciary, so concerned with protecting the due process rights of class action defendants in the face of pressure, would be on top of that ag gag law. But they aren't. I wonder what the difference could be?

Probably that it got settled.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cant cook creole bream posted:

I don't really know a lot about American law books. But in Germany the laws are written in an extremely obtuse and unreadable, but ridiculously exact way. Like all the complicated text has to be added, in order to clarify the exact statement and tighten loopholes so much, that not even a jinn could slip through. In a way it's actually quite beautiful. But as a mathematician, I am rather fond of exact statements which define a well ordered system.

I've always assumed it worked similarly with your laws. But then again, it's also easy to hide obscene abuses in such texts.

The US Code itself is much more readable, it's just the legislation itself is not because it's editing the existing laws rather than just writing them out for the first time. You can't easily know what it's doing without looking at the section it's getting put into.

How precisely written the laws are varies wildly based on the subject of the law, if it's a state/federal/local law, and if it's a law versus a regulation passed by a regulatory agency. In general criminal laws are very broad and not overly precise, federal law is better written than state law, and regulatory rules are very, very, very precise compared to actual laws.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Fox is dying, gotta pick up that market share somehow.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crow Jane posted:

Does "serial killer" count as a profession? We've had a lot of them, it's gotta be at least a cottage industry

That's more of an avocation I think. Not paid. Paid assassin could be a profession (see: "The Professional") but a certain percentage of those are female, which is going to shift your rapist percentages.

U.S. president is one of very few jobs left that is all male, so it's gonna have more rapists just because of that, and then you get Clinton, Trump, and the various slaveowners shifting the numbers too

Basically a given president is more likely to be a rapist than a given member of any other profession

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 28, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ogmius815 posted:

You'd think that our federal judiciary, so concerned with protecting the due process rights of class action defendants in the face of pressure, would be on top of that ag gag type of stuff. But they aren't. I wonder what the difference could be?

The supreme court does not reach out and grab cases. They have to be asked to review a case.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Are you new or something? MSNBC's always has some conservatives around. Every third commercial I see Greta talking about how everyone should get along because some presidents were at a bar.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Rigel posted:

The supreme court does not reach out and grab cases. They have to be asked to review a case.

Yeah I know. I was just taking a cheap shot at bad class action decisions from the last decade. There are actually a bunch of ways it isn't necessarily analogous.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pander posted:

Are you new or something? MSNBC's always has some conservatives around. Every third commercial I see Greta talking about how everyone should get along because some presidents were at a bar.

It's getting much worse.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

mcmagic posted:

It's getting much worse.

Is time passing?

If yes: Things are getting worse.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pander posted:

They've been noticeably tacking right and trying to take Fox viewers.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Eh. Joke's long been on anyone who watches MSNBC for any reason other than Chris and Rachel.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Its genius to try and divide and conquer fox's consolidation of conservative media attention now that they're falling during the Trump Era and the allure of Russian Collusion. Its not good for the quality of news media that they're trying to proliferate RWM talking heads into their own fold to try and become more attractive in a much more violently conservative environment takes hold over the US, but these things run themselves as businesses first.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Rigel posted:

When you're a Supreme, they let you do it, you can do anything, grab 'em by the pro se

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

There was a pretty good longform piece about this a month or two ago but I cant find it. Anyone remember what I'm talking about/have a link?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

awesmoe posted:

I'm not saying he's number one worst president ever, but the question was "disrespect the office of the president" and using the figurative office to procure sex and the literal office to perform it in is disrespectful.
thats without getting into the capital p problematic power issues between an intern and the president of the united states

I guess I meant disrespect the office as in failing to grasp what the Presidency means to a nation of people and understanding your place in history. It may just be recency bias but I'd put Obama near the top of this list under this definition even if he isn't one of the top 5 or so Presidents, for example. Clinton absolutely should be dinged for the reasons you stated but I'd put Dubya below him, for one.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Josh Lyman posted:

Then why do 100% of hospital bills seem outrageous?

For real? Because the billed cost has zero relation to actual insurance reimbursement rates. The hospitals enter contracts with various insurance companies and negotiate payments -- the hospital ridiculously elevates the bill and the insurance company argues down to something much more reasonable. The real problem is that hospitals legally cannot bill two entities differently, only accept different negotiated reimbursement rates. So what happens is that if you are uninsured, you are subject to that overbid that the hospital never would expect to receive from an insurance company in the first place. If you're out of network, you may be balance-billed on this ridiculously overpriced bill as well. To add to the insanity of it all, generally speaking hospitals can't talk to one another about what they've negotiated for what billing codes with each insurance company, and trying to get your own insurance company o tell you what procedure will cost what where can be difficult too if you manage it at all.

And that's seriously it. Hospital bills are outrageous because they literally are designed to be outrageous and hospitals don't expect to recoup that amount. But in the meanwhile, they gently caress people left and right because they can't offer an uninsured rate. Some will, after the fact, negotiate a much more reasonable payment for you, but it's loving ridiculous to literally hold bankruptcy over people for a $100,000 appendectomy for which the hospital really only ever receives a fraction from an insurance company.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Rigel posted:

This is a pretty good reason to be optimistic. The moron MAGA horde gets a lot of their marching orders from talk radio, but they aren't being told to go after GOP Senators who aren't on board. They have given up and moved on

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/880170026984255488

How much of it is trying to keep low information people there though? I feel like they're not covering the bill because they know it's dogshit and don't want people getting enlightened, and that's going to happen just by seeing all the poo poo about it. Losing even a small number of the continually dwindling vapid support can't be good for them

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

I don't really know a lot about American law books. But in Germany the laws are written in an extremely obtuse and unreadable, but ridiculously exact way. Like all the complicated text has to be added, in order to clarify the exact statement and tighten loopholes so much, that not even a jinn could slip through. In a way it's actually quite beautiful. But as a mathematician, I am rather fond of exact statements which define a well ordered system.

Generally no. As we are a Common Law country, the judges can take care of this sort of stuff --- and a lot of things are also delegated to executive branch regulations to figure out the details and provide rules.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Majorian posted:

It's pretty funny how much Joe's trying to course-correct after gaining a reputation of incessantly and shamelessly fawning over Trump during the campaign.

Still, credit where credit's due, not a bad burn.

:same:

The constant dunking is appreciated, but Joe and Mika deserve to spend the rest of their lives scrubbing themselves clean of Trump yet never quite removing the stain completely.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah I know. I was just taking a cheap shot at bad class action decisions from the last decade. There are actually a bunch of ways it isn't necessarily analogous.

What strikes me as particularly hosed up about this law is that it seems to be specifically designed to be extraordinarily difficult and dangerous to challenge. Plaintiffs can recover even if they lose, for gently caress's sake.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Here's that Bloomberg healthcare story (I think)

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/880173030634291200

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Goddamn. No wonder Murkowski's against the bill.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So that's Stephens, Hewitt, VanSusteren, and Kelly all hired by NBC within the last year. I may be forgetting someone.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Sloober posted:

How much of it is trying to keep low information people there though? I feel like they're not covering the bill because they know it's dogshit and don't want people getting enlightened, and that's going to happen just by seeing all the poo poo about it. Losing even a small number of the continually dwindling vapid support can't be good for them

There's only so much you can do when Trump won't play ball because he'll break the lie in an instant of idiocy. Plus Rush was already losing money hand over fist during the election, so its just nature taking its course when the Republicans that care are dying and what they have left is uninformed ignorants who won't even take the time to tune into Hannidy or Brietbart because there's too much choice and not enough people to go to them all.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 28, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

So that's Stephens, Hewitt, VanSusteren, and Kelly all hired by NBC within the last year. I may be forgetting someone.

Nicole Wallace (one of W's old press secs) has been on MSNBC for years but she got a "show" at like noon EST that no one gives a poo poo about.

Though in her defense 9 times out of 10 she is generally a sane person. So meh

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Pander posted:

It's heartwarming to remember that Trump is statistically more likely to run into a Guillotine in France than anywhere else.

And they have a history of rudely awakening nepotistic despots.

On the other hand, de Gaulle.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Lightning Lord posted:

On the other hand, de Gaulle.

Trump at the bare minimum will have flour or some sort of food thrown at him.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Nicole Wallace (one of W's old press secs) has been on MSNBC for years but she got a "show" at like noon EST that no one gives a poo poo about.

Though in her defense 9 times out of 10 she is generally a sane person. So meh

I generally don't mind panels with her, Rick Wilson, or Steve Schmidt. Wilson cause he's amusing in how much he hates Trump, and the other two are impressively sane for people willing to call themselves Republicans in this day and age. Seems like they'd be kicked out as RINOs by now.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/28/us/arkansas-10-commandments-monument-damaged/index.html

Good.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

wow, the bloomberg guy wasn't joking, this is big

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/880177792922603520

quote:

Several Senate Republicans began to question Wednesday whether their health-care bill should repeal a tax on high-income Americans imposed by Obamacare when the legislation would scale back subsidies for the poor.

Susan Collins of Maine and Mike Rounds of South Dakota both criticized the draft bill released by Majority Leader Mitch McConnell for repealing a surtax on net investment income imposed under Obamacare.

“I do not see a justification for doing away with the 3.8 percent tax on investment income, because that is not something that increases the cost of health care,” Collins said. “So I distinguish between those tax increases that were part of Obamacare that increase premiums and the cost of health care versus those that do not.”

A third Republican, Bob Corker of Tennessee, expressed discomfort with the idea of cutting taxes on the rich while transferring burdens on the poor.

Corker, who faces re-election in 2018, voiced hesitation with tax cuts for the highest earners. Apart from the net investment income tax, the Republican bill repeals a 0.9 percent Medicare surtax on incomes above the same thresholds after 2022.

"I want to make sure that we’re not in a situation where we’re cutting taxes for the wealthy and at the same time, basically, for lower income citizens, passing a larger burden on to them," Corker said.

Told that what he described is what the CBO projects would happen, he responded, "So that needs to be overcome then, doesn’t it?"

this would completely blow up the entire real reason they're doing this thing

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

evilweasel posted:

wow, the bloomberg guy wasn't joking, this is big

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/880177792922603520

this would completely blow up the entire real reason they're doing this thing

Turns out some Republicans have souls

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

Turns out some Republicans have souls

souls, and/or some awareness of political reality and the fact that even in tennessee this might put them at risk in 2018 (corker is a pretty safe seat up for re-election in 2018 who may be getting nervous about the combination of this + trump suddenly making things a race)

i would lean toward the latter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pander posted:

I generally don't mind panels with her, Rick Wilson, or Steve Schmidt. Wilson cause he's amusing in how much he hates Trump, and the other two are impressively sane for people willing to call themselves Republicans in this day and age. Seems like they'd be kicked out as RINOs by now.

Schmidt is fascinating because if Game Change is to be believed, Sarah Palin broke his brain so hard it made him functionally a liberal. But you're right about those three, they seem to be the sanest Republicans left standing.

• Locked thread