Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I hope to buy a 750 watt G2/G3 :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

It's using 2.2GB of system RAM for each of my 980s mining currently.

I don't think that it should be using hardly any of your system RAM. Is it also having you CPU mine?

Twerk from Home posted:

What will these things be useful for in 2 months? Discount entry-level deep learning GPUs? PhysX GPUs? What's a no-output no-warranty 1060 6GB worth? $60?

GPUs for scientific computation have become a big business, but most of the scientific community uses Tesla and sometimes TITAN cards instead of 10XX consumer-grade graphics cards. For poo poo like deep learning you usually don't need double precision, so 10XX cards should be sufficient in theory if you wanted to setup a scientific computation box. But as has been discussed before, these cards aren't designed to live in dense clusters, which is probably why the warranty is so short. So I guess if you don't have enough funds to do work on a supercomputer but want to tool with the hardware, you could buy a couple of these and at least be able to tool around with GPU-relevant applications, like image processing or machine learning. These wouldn't be useful for HPC centers; NVLink offers too much value to try and skimp by buying these things, and there's no way that you could get an affordable HPC service contract supporting consumer-grade GPUs with only 6-month warranties

Paul MaudDib posted:

Definitely, assuming you don't need any of the Tesla-specific features like NVLink or RDMA-over-Infiniband then it's basically just a consumer Tesla card.

edit: does anyone here do machine learning? Do you know if machine learning networks are designed to scale across multiple cards, and if so can they do that reasonably well without the high-speed interconnects on Tesla (just peer-to-peer RDMA over PCIe)? Or is it single-card-only?

I've done some ML (not my primary source of work), they often are, and you can do ML reasonably well without NVLink, just over PCIe. NVLink gives you a huge performance boost and makes your code easier to develop, but sure, you can still do some ML stuff without it.

I think these would be fine if someone wanted to set up a github for personal projects that use GPUs but didn't already own a GPU, for instance

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Cygni posted:

Yeah, i've seen the same thing. I think its the ether miner crashing the nvidia display driver occasionally, which kicks the clocks back to fail-safe. Doesnt seem to happen if nicehash is mining anything else.

I dicked around with this a bit more and it still does it even when I have 0 added voltage and no 0% power target but a small memory OC. Or a max OC. It doesn't seem to matter. I'm ready to give up, though its a shame because the memory can overclock to the moon with no additional voltage at all. My 1080 on my main desktop doesn't ever reset its OC even maxed out ever. I did however find out this particular PNY 1070 runs at a whopping 57 degrees C at an inaudible fan speed at full tilt so I'll sacrifice a few pennies for that - a side note that I'm utterly impressed by this mid range dual fan 1070. I've had 3 1070's now that ran louder than this. And it even has a lifetime warranty lol

The fact that the memory OC is off the table for some unknown reason is going to bug me forever since it has no affect on anything else other than a few watts.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think that it should be using hardly any of your system RAM. Is it also having you CPU mine?

GPUs for scientific computation have become a big business, but most of the scientific community uses Tesla and sometimes TITAN cards instead of 10XX consumer-grade graphics cards. For poo poo like deep learning you usually don't need double precision, so 10XX cards should be sufficient in theory if you wanted to setup a scientific computation box. But as has been discussed before, these cards aren't designed to live in dense clusters, which is probably why the warranty is so short. So I guess if you don't have enough funds to do work on a supercomputer but want to tool with the hardware, you could buy a couple of these and at least be able to tool around with GPU-relevant applications, like image processing or machine learning. These wouldn't be useful for HPC centers; NVLink offers too much value to try and skimp by buying these things, and there's no way that you could get an affordable HPC service contract supporting consumer-grade GPUs with only 6-month warranties

I've done some ML (not my primary source of work), they often are, and you can do ML reasonably well without NVLink, just over PCIe. NVLink gives you a huge performance boost and makes your code easier to develop, but sure, you can still do some ML stuff without it.

I think these would be fine if someone wanted to set up a github for personal projects that use GPUs but didn't already own a GPU, for instance

Just buy Ethereum and let OTHERS be your supercomputer with Ether and gas 💨!

Seriously please buy Ethereum this poo poo is so low now I cant buy burritos

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I think instead of telling people that its dumb to buy a mining rig now, I am going to encourage them. I think a lot of the people posting on various forusm want to be told that they should buy a mining rig and I think it would be even more funny in a few months when they sell em for a fraction of the cost. If anything, the time to build a rig will be after this current fad dies down. That way you can get cheap parts and mine some poo poo coins with less competition.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Flipping 390, buying two 1070s v0v

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stealthgerbil posted:

I think instead of telling people that its dumb to buy a mining rig now, I am going to encourage them. I think a lot of the people posting on various forusm want to be told that they should buy a mining rig and I think it would be even more funny in a few months when they sell em for a fraction of the cost. If anything, the time to build a rig will be after this current fad dies down. That way you can get cheap parts and mine some poo poo coins with less competition.

IMO the PC DIY scene was already mostly filled with highly impressionable sheep making dubious purchasing decisions even before the first cryptocraze wave showed up.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Palladium posted:

IMO the PC DIY scene was already mostly filled with highly impressionable sheep making dubious purchasing decisions even before the first cryptocraze wave showed up.

You shut up about me spending more on storage than video cards for a gaming rig okay? I've fixed it, I'm playing casual games on a 1080 Ti now.

(yeah, weird purchasing decisions happen. I don't want to know how many 1080 Tis are hooked up to 60 fps 1080p screens, let alone TN panels.)

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Well I'm fuckin out of this dumb game. I created a wallet/account/whatever on coinbase, with nicehash set to deposit in the address given. Deposit showed on nicehash yesterday to that same address that was showing in coinbase (which I verified at least one other time as I had a second PC doing some mining part time). Didn't see the deposit anywhere on coinbase, decided to poke around the site further and saw that it's a completely different address now, so my deposit is sent to who knows where the gently caress.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

xthetenth posted:

You shut up about me spending more on storage than video cards for a gaming rig okay? I've fixed it, I'm playing casual games on a 1080 Ti now.

(yeah, weird purchasing decisions happen. I don't want to know how many 1080 Tis are hooked up to 60 fps 1080p screens, let alone TN panels.)

It would actually be cool if you could query the massive steam survey dataset for poo poo like that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

metallicaeg posted:

Well I'm fuckin out of this dumb game. I created a wallet/account/whatever on coinbase, with nicehash set to deposit in the address given. Deposit showed on nicehash yesterday to that same address that was showing in coinbase (which I verified at least one other time as I had a second PC doing some mining part time). Didn't see the deposit anywhere on coinbase, decided to poke around the site further and saw that it's a completely different address now, so my deposit is sent to who knows where the gently caress.

Coinbase generates you a new address for your wallet after every transaction for laundering anonymity purposes -- your old wallet address still works.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

metallicaeg posted:

The address changes with each transaction for some reason I don't really understand, the old addresses still work.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

So, is it just a delay of the deposit showing up? Would I need to change the address in nicehash to the new one for a future deposit?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

metallicaeg posted:

https://www.coinbase.com/addresses

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

metallicaeg posted:

So, is it just a delay of the deposit showing up? Would I need to change the address in nicehash to the new one for a future deposit?

MaxxBot posted:

The address changes with each transaction for some reason I don't really understand, the old addresses still work.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

metallicaeg posted:

Edit: everyone already addressed this n/m

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Okay, thanks all, I did not stumble onto /addresses before which answered everything.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
May your magical internet money shine true

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Eth up 27% today. Still down 7% this week, but jesus. Guess I'll keep this dumb thing running a few more days.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I turned some mined bitcoin into amazon giftcards which I turned into EVE Online space gold because I figured I needed to complete the hosed up circle of virtual libertarian currencies.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fruit Chewy posted:

I turned some mined bitcoin into amazon giftcards which I turned into EVE Online space gold because I figured I needed to complete the hosed up circle of virtual libertarian currencies.

Is that fee-less or something? I didnt see the appeal of anything outside of "put it into bank account please" since the fee was more than reasonable.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah you can get gift cards from gyft with no fees.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Do you want to buy an app that manages all your mining rigs that produce Bitcoins?
http://www.awesomeminer.com/buy.aspx. has you covered! You can buy a bitcoin mining rig manager for up to 5,000 rigs!

They accept only credit cards or PayPal. Bitcoin? lol gently caress that trash, we don't accept that

Fruit Chewy posted:

This God forsaken land

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

xthetenth posted:

Some people can't afford to go all-in at once. Also it's a wise bet games will get more effects-laden and geometrically complex even at 1080p.

E3 demos convinced me to buy a 1070 instead of a 1060, and my display is a 1080/60 television.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I find my 1070 inadequate at 2560x1080, which is pretty close to 1080p. But I also have a 2600k so...

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I go 1080p at 60fps because I just found out about Gsync, and also I'm obsessive about frame rate, but also like everything at max settings. I'll take better effects instead of higher resolutions.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

PerrineClostermann posted:

I find my 1070 inadequate at 2560x1080, which is pretty close to 1080p. But I also have a 2600k so...
This is getting pretty off topic for the buttcoin thread but 2560x1080 is 33% more pixels than 1920x1080 (ie 1080p). Whereas 2560x1440 (ie 1440p) is like 75% more. You're closer to 1080p than 1440p but only just barely, you're pretty close to the halfway point.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Craptacular! posted:

Some people can't afford to go all-in at once. Also it's a wise bet games will get more effects-laden and geometrically complex even at 1080p.

E3 demos convinced me to buy a 1070 instead of a 1060, and my display is a 1080/60 television.

Yeah, I've got a friend who's got a better screen in the queue. I just get unreasonably mad about people who don't respect monitors.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, I've got a friend who's got a better screen in the queue. I just get unreasonably mad about people who don't respect monitors.
Man, you hate me.

Having reached my mid 30s I'm now comfortably into "1080p with vsync is good enough for anything." I considered a high refresh rate monitor for Overwatch because I like responsiveness and hate tearing in that sort of game, but that was the only game I considered it for and decided it wasn't important enough. Nothing is going to bowl me over like going from software-rendered Quake to hardware Quake did, so I buy the best possible screen my PlayStation supports and make my PC use that.

I'll probably get a 4K freesync monitor when PS5 comes out and not care about higher refresh than 60 unless Sony supports it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Man, you hate me.

Having reached my mid 30s I'm now comfortably into "1080p with vsync is good enough for anything." I considered a high refresh rate monitor for Overwatch because I like responsiveness and hate tearing in that sort of game, but that was the only game I considered it for and decided it wasn't important enough. Nothing is going to bowl me over like going from software-rendered Quake to hardware Quake did, so I buy the best possible screen my PlayStation supports and make my PC use that.

I'll probably get a 4K freesync monitor when PS5 comes out and not care about higher refresh than 60 unless Sony supports it.

If its in the cards, get a high refresh monitor. I always knew it was pretty sweet but I thought it'd be aesthetics. It literally transformed how I played overwatch.

Hmmm buttmining thread: use buttcoins to buy?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

FWIW looks like Vega does about 30-35 MH/s for Eth

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

MaxxBot posted:

TwiceTHRICE the draw of a 480/580, looks like availability wont be a problem

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

How does this compare to 1070's and 1080's?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How does this compare to 1070's and 1080's?

My 1070 can hit 32 if you OC it a lot, the 1080 does a bit worse because of GDDR5X. The 1080 Ti does like 37 or so but my 1080 Ti has never actually run dagger before so I'm not totally sure. It's a bad value for mining Eth at least, I'm curious to see how it does mining Zcash and other stuff.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

My 1070 can hit 32 if you OC it a lot, the 1080 does a bit worse because of GDDR5X. The 1080 Ti does like 37 or so but my 1080 Ti has never actually run dagger before so I'm not totally sure. It's a bad value for mining Eth at least, I'm curious to see how it does mining Zcash and other stuff.

What

My 1080ti did 32 at best for Eth...
Are you overclocking o something ? I underclocked it to keep it below 65c but I'm not sure it could reach 37 even at higher speeds...

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

What are you running to gwt these numbers

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Yeah that's an overclocked and unlimited figure, as I said my 1080 Ti has never actually run dagger because usually Equihash\Lyra\Blake\etc are more profitable. Only my 1070s run dagger often and they do 29-32MH.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

My one 1070 is a golden sample and runs everything at 2.1GHz, that's the one that does 32MH. My other 1070 is in a dual GPU machine and power limited down to 90%, that one does 29MH.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

ran nicehash on my gtx1060 for about two weeks on and off, earned $40 and spent it all on scallops and unagi at the nice sushi place, thanks buttcoins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smiles posted:

ran nicehash on my gtx1060 for about two weeks on and off, earned $40 and spent it all on scallops and unagi at the nice sushi place, thanks buttcoins

you should have held on to it. You could be rich in 40 years when the exchange you're holding them in steals all your coins

• Locked thread