Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

Still lolling at the retail goons defending the stupid practice of carding someone clearly over 30. Never wonder why you have barely any autonomy or decision making in your roles.

lol you dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Still lolling at the retail goons defending the stupid practice of carding someone clearly over 30. Never wonder why you have barely any autonomy or decision making in your roles.

:laffo:

holy poo poo I just saw this hahaha

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

someone didn't properly internalize the Huey Lewis and the News smash hit "It's Hip to Be Square" :rolleyes:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"So you choose to follow laws? How does it feel to be a beta??? :grin:"

- Forums poster "Glenn Quebec", laying down what he perceived as a sick and brutal own.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ArbitraryC posted:

You don't have to take it out most of the time? Some cashiers are oddly anal about it but most of em you can just flip open the wallet and show them.

Yeah, I helped with training for cashiers regarding ID for buying liquor and taking the ID out of the wallet is essential because:
-Allows cashier to verify the back of the ID has the needed info and hologram
-Means cashier doesn't need to touch customers' wallet or purse
-Lets cashier carefully check expiration date, photo, etc.

Our state didn't require carding those over 30, but the state liquor board could and did send underage employees to try to sting cashiers. A cashier getting in trouble was a huge thing that would probably involved a district manager yelling at the store manager, so no way a cashier would ever get in trouble for being too cautious.

I still wonder if high school theater kids have ever put on old age makeup and try to buy stuff.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

I live in a more conservative area of WA and we can still buy anything from grocery stores, until 2 am. I'm never up before 6 so I don't have to worry about not being able to buy more!

I lived in Boston MA for a short while and drat the laws were annoying once you're used to REAL FREEDOM.

:fsmug:

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Pro tip- being charismatic and making up a smooth line when you card milfs is a good way to get laid when your 18-25.

That being said my most retail experience was getting fired for going to college. Literally what happened. I started classes, told my shift people my class schedule, and got put on the clock during a class anyways. Despite being told it would be changed, it wasn't and I was fired for a no call no show.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

I mean christ I'm not defending this backwards insanity. I wish my state was like this guys here ^^^^ . but I've got people who come around to make sure I'm following these laws and if I don't I lose my job and get fined a shitload of money that I never would have gotten paid enough to cover in the first place.

but idk I guess that makes me a gigantic dumbass :shrug:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Starman Super DX posted:

I mean christ I'm not defending this backwards insanity. I wish my state was like this guys here ^^^^ . but I've got people who come around to make sure I'm following these laws and if I don't I lose my job and get fined a shitload of money that I never would have gotten paid enough to cover in the first place.

Can I ask whether you work at a grocery store or something, or at a proper beer distributor? Because I do think it comes down more to corporate policy than it does to state law when it comes to carding. I don't think I've ever been carded once at either a liquor store or a beer distributor, but I've been carded the few times I've bought 6 packs from the grocery.

For grocery and such, it comes down to protecting their asses from corporate. I think I said it earlier in this thread, but I almost got fired for selling cigarettes to 25 year olds who happened to be We Card secret shoppers on 2 separate occasions because Wawa's policy was Card Under 26.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, I helped with training for cashiers regarding ID for buying liquor and taking the ID out of the wallet is essential because:
-Allows cashier to verify the back of the ID has the needed info and hologram
-Means cashier doesn't need to touch customers' wallet or purse
-Lets cashier carefully check expiration date, photo, etc.

Our state didn't require carding those over 30, but the state liquor board could and did send underage employees to try to sting cashiers. A cashier getting in trouble was a huge thing that would probably involved a district manager yelling at the store manager, so no way a cashier would ever get in trouble for being too cautious.

I still wonder if high school theater kids have ever put on old age makeup and try to buy stuff.

My ID flap flips up so I just flip open my wallet and hold it in an open palm, you can plainly see the picture, my DOB, the expiration date, and everything else you could ask for on the card. I've only incredibly rarely seen people actually use the strip on the back to scan it, most cashiers are fine with just reading it there.

It's easy to pull out so I don't mind if they ask, it just doesn't really come up. Prolly just boils down to location and the businesses themselves, as I also mentioned for stores I visit often they don't even need to see my card cause they recognize me but that's apparently not a thing everywhere so there's just a lot of inconsistencies that come with ID checks I guess.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

PhotoKirk posted:

The saddest thing ever was the kids working at Marble Slab that had to sing every time they got a tip. I used to offer a bigger tip if they wouldn't sing. Those eyes man, like windows into an empty soulless void...

Growing up I had a rich friend that didn't have to work a day in his life. We were in our early 20's and his parents made him get a part time job to try to instill some responsibility in him. He got a job at this place. When we found out we went there and tipped them so much so he was forced to sing a stupid loving each time. He lasted maybe one or two days.

I don't like restaurants that sing and put on shows, Johnny Rockets, Joe's Crab shack, basically touristy bullshit.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

SpacePig posted:

Can I ask whether you work at a grocery store or something, or at a proper beer distributor? Because I do think it comes down more to corporate policy than it does to state law when it comes to carding. I don't think I've ever been carded once at either a liquor store or a beer distributor, but I've been carded the few times I've bought 6 packs from the grocery.

For grocery and such, it comes down to protecting their asses from corporate. I think I said it earlier in this thread, but I almost got fired for selling cigarettes to 25 year olds who happened to be We Card secret shoppers on 2 separate occasions because Wawa's policy was Card Under 26.

I work at a big chain grocery store and yeah it's a corporate liability thing that involves enough points of legality that it may as well be a law. As I stated earlier, it was one of the three big things that was gone over in my RAMP certification training. It's actually not even a government thing, it's just a way for people who have the tavern license or whatever to look better to the PLCB for additional perks or incentives. You can bet that the little guy isn't as worried about liability as the big one is, and either way it's not worth losing my job over. I also think it's something PLCB looks out for too because they want to see more acknowledgement of RAMP

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Starman Super DX posted:

Naw man, now that grocery stores sell hard A (only started a few years ago), they card every single time too. I'm sure retail carding laws are much more enforced now. I don't get carded much at bars and restaurants, but always at the grocery store. I just always have my ID ready anyways because I hate slow, unprepared people in front of me and I assume they have to follow liquor laws very closely.

I had my liquor license to serve beer at a pizza place a while back so I have an idea of what the laws are like around here. You can get real hosed up if you're not doing the right thing. We just have less restrictive purchasing laws now, so it's nice on this side of the register! The computers also shut off sales right at 2 AM and cannot be overridden (by regular employees at least).

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Starman Super DX posted:

one of the things that really gets me, moreso for my own strict state than anything else, is why do people bother storing their IDs in those hard-to-extract-from transparent sleeves in their wallets? who are they just flashing their IDs at ESPECIALLY if they're older and aren't getting carded anyway and any cop is just going to ask them to take it out.

The thing that got me the most was the size of the fines we'd get. If the store hosed up some big health code thing (which was a regular thing to happen) it'd get a fine that might cost it 10,000$ which is less than a day's worth of profit but, if I hosed up selling someone cigarettes I lost 2 months of pay. What the gently caress?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I have a few non retail stories. I used to work at a coca cola shipping warehouse. One day, a guy wandered in and asked to speak to whoever was in charge. I figured he was a small customer or something picking up an order or whatever, and pointed him in the direction of the lead hand. Half an hour later, lead hand comes up and asks why I was sending idiots his way. Apparently the guy got an email from "Coca-Cola UK" (this was in Canada) telling him he won a bunch of money, and to give them a bunch of info. He did, and he came in here to ask why he hadn't gotten the money yet, and how to get it. The guy would not believe he was being scammed, and wanted to see a local or regional manager because clearly the lead hand just didn't know about it. Eventually the lead hand needed to tell him that he would ask his boss and get back to him to get him to leave.

On the lighter side, once an older lady and a kid wandered into the warehouse through an open overhead door as we were moving trucks and asked if we did tours. I said I was afraid not, and we don't actually make anything there, just ship it, so there isn't anything to see. She was a bit embarrassed, so I said it was no problem at all, gave them a couple bottles of free pop and sent them on their way.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 28, 2017

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Horrible Customers: Liquor Laws Chat

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I Brake For MILFs posted:

Growing up I had a rich friend that didn't have to work a day in his life. We were in our early 20's and his parents made him get a part time job to try to instill some responsibility in him. He got a job at this place. When we found out we went there and tipped them so much so he was forced to sing a stupid loving each time. He lasted maybe one or two days.

I don't like restaurants that sing and put on shows, Johnny Rockets, Joe's Crab shack, basically touristy bullshit.

I've never been to one of these fancy pants ice cream places, but holy poo poo now I will never go cause I sure as poo poo don't want to be sung to by some poor rear end in a top hat.

My parents used to tease me and my sister by saying "oh we'll get them to sing to you at the restaurant for your birthday!" and we'd squirm with awkward panic but thankfully they never actually did that, they are decent people. Man, even as a kid I knew there was something horribly wrong with making your wage slaves sing to customers. No one comes out of that situation looking pretty.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cold Stone has thankfully ended mandatory singing for tips.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Detective No. 27 posted:

Cold Stone has thankfully ended mandatory singing for tips.

they've also mandated closing all their stores lmfao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
seriously there was like a coldstone in almost every stripmall/mall here circa mid 2000s in almost every small city onwards, now the last remnant of one within like a 200 mile radius i think closed up 2 years ago

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh weird. Their corporate headquarters is in my state, so all my local Cold Stones seemed to have gone unaffected by any closures. Not that it's a place I regularly go to.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
My very first job was at a Coldstone. It was owned by a Chinese couple, the husband of which I met exactly once, before he disappeared forever.

They had cameras literally all over the store and would spy on the employees from their home, then phone the shop to yell at us about whatever thing they were upset we were or weren't doing.

The upside of them not actually being present to, you know, run their business, was that we got away with not singing, which would have been impossible to hear over the constant lovely pop music piped in at top volume round the clock.

I remember being surprised, but too shy to protest when I found out I was required to buy the horrible, itchy polo shirt uniform that didn't even come in my size (I was swimming in the drat thing).

Every time I've walked past a coldstone in the years following, the smell of the waffle cones cooking would make me physically ill.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was at Sprouts last Sunday, killing a few minutes before the Office Max next door opened at 10am. I nearly bought a beer just cause I could.

man nobody is biting on your weak rear end trolls. gently caress off.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

I once had ice cream at a knock-off of some kind that I think was literally called "Marble Slab". The ice cream was good, but it's obviously not worth the price just for the "atmosphere".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Xaris posted:

seriously there was like a coldstone in almost every stripmall/mall here circa mid 2000s in almost every small city onwards, now the last remnant of one within like a 200 mile radius i think closed up 2 years ago

I had this experience with Quiznos, there were like 5 of them around me and now I don't even know if the chain exists anymore because I haven't seen one in like a year in any city I travelled to

I loved Quiznos :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Walrus posted:

man nobody is biting on your weak rear end trolls. gently caress off.

I'm merely expressing how nice it is not to have to worry about antiquated blue laws. Cool off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theokotos posted:

I remember being surprised, but too shy to protest when I found out I was required to buy the horrible, itchy polo shirt uniform that didn't even come in my size (I was swimming in the drat thing).

A coworker of mine once went to get a partime job at Abercrombie/American Eagle/One of those and on the first day, after being hired, she was told she needed to spend like 300 dollars or more on clothes from the store for her "work uniform". She quit right there on the spot. About a year later she gets ~$1000 check in the mail due to a class action settlement with the company about that and since she was, legally, employed by them it was hers to keep.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Kelp Me! posted:

I had this experience with Quiznos, there were like 5 of them around me and now I don't even know if the chain exists anymore because I haven't seen one in like a year in any city I travelled to

I was told that Quiznos went out of business because many of them were franchises but still had corporate impose all of these sales and coupons and poo poo that they just couldn't keep up with.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Barudak posted:

A coworker of mine once went to get a partime job at Abercrombie/American Eagle/One of those and on the first day, after being hired, she was told she needed to spend like 300 dollars or more on clothes from the store for her "work uniform". She quit right there on the spot. About a year later she gets ~$1000 check in the mail due to a class action settlement with the company about that and since she was, legally, employed by them it was hers to keep.

What a garbage company. I heard they would burn outdated stock instead of donating it because they didn't want homeless people wearing their brand.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Starman Super DX posted:

I was told that Quiznos went out of business because many of them were franchises but still had corporate impose all of these sales and coupons and poo poo that they just couldn't keep up with.

They still exist, they just shrunk considerably from their hieght because they had higher franchise costs and were trickier to maintain than a Subway.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Kelp Me! posted:

Yeah I loved Quiznos in the early 2000s, they were everywhere and SO much better than Subway. Then one day they just all went tits up never to be seen again (due to overexpanding and lovely business decisions and practices). Occasionally I still spot an empty storefront with obviously dead outline of quizno signs and stuff. We also used to have a chain called Togos that were quite prevalent which I liked a lot but they've been hemoraging stores for years and now only a very few token ones left and dying more an more each year.

But now we have Ikes which is very good (but sadly kind of expensive) and other a few local sandwich shops.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Barudak posted:

They still exist, they just shrunk considerably from their hieght because they had higher franchise costs and were trickier to maintain than a Subway.

The extra cost was worth it, damnit, Quizno's:Subway is like saying Five Guys:McDonalds or something

At least we have Jersey Mike's and Firehouse Subs to make up the difference now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FireHouse is god tier.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Firehouse Subs was a client of mine, so i hate those subs.

Amusingly, we were supposed to get comped discounts at the only Firehouse subs in the city our offices were located in and the franchisee owner wanted absolutely none of that. So for example "free drink with food" was "you must order most expensive sub and buy chips and apple, and well give you a non refillable dixie mouthwash cup for soda" The highlight was an employee told us that the owner told them to treat us as poorly as they wanted and he didnt care who we reported his restaurant to.

Somehow he wasnt the worst owner I dealt with during my time there

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I went to Jersey Mike's once when I noticed that they opened a location near my office. The sandwich wasn't bad but it wasn't worth the $12 or whatever.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Starman Super DX posted:

I once had ice cream at a knock-off of some kind that I think was literally called "Marble Slab". The ice cream was good, but it's obviously not worth the price just for the "atmosphere".

I don't get this either. Half the retail training I sat through emphasized that the reason the customer was coming was for the store's "atmosphere" and "shopping experience." :laffo: to that, the only reason people are coming there are because its either the closest thing or the cheapest thing and rarely its both. Most retail places smell like a mix of body odor and dirty diapers so who in their right mind pays for that kind of "atmosphere?"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The place where the local Quiznos used to be is now a Jimmy John's because this town sucks.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

super sweet best pal posted:

The place where the local Quiznos used to be is now a Jimmy John's because this town sucks.

I'm a manager at Jimmy John's and can confirm that we loving suck

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
What kind of person post college age even works in retail anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fits my needs posted:

What kind of person post college age even works in retail anymore?

Millions of Americans.

Hope this helps.

• Locked thread