Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Sticky Nate posted:

If you aren't sprinting through cabins and opening every drawer for the first minute of the game you're doing it wrong.
The only exception is if Jason morphs on top of you at the start.

Also I fixed Burk's phone and he let me live. That's an achievement in itself.

If you don't jump through the glass of the nearest cabin as soon as the game starts you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm so bad at this game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Danaru posted:

I finally got around to watching the first F13 movie last night, and holy poo poo Pamela :stonk: That scene where Alice is in the closet, and Pam slams a hole in the door and just smiles at her

Also lol strip monopoly though
Pamela is also a quite powerful woman. Able to hold up people and stab them into objects.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I can't decide if I rather have a server full of literal children or 7 Russians or Koreans or whatever. At this time of day it's a lot of children.

Sometimes it's OZ/NZ guys.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I just can't bring myself to spend a perk slot for an item which I'm 90% likely to obtain within 30 seconds of the start of the game.

LastDancer also managed to kill me in that time frame last night, because I'm awful with the shotgun and I don't know why I even tried in Packanack lodge.

Murphy's Law is in full effect. I will find tons of radios/maps right away with Psychic/Preparedness slotted, and go half the match before seeing one without.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Pub game about an hour ago.

The Jason is a little below average but whatever. It's Packanack and of course the 4-seater and phone have both spawned at the lodge, so Jason has spent basically the whole game just camping around it. We're down to four counselors. Two of them are up by the boat, and me and a Bugsy are at Packanack juking and trying to get the phone going.

So over walkie I hear "Hey if anyone has gas bring it up to the boat and we can all get away".

Well, I know from looking at the map that there are 2 guys up there, and they're just sitting by the boat. It's pretty clear they're hoping me or Bugsy don't realize the boat won't seat more than 2.

But hey, guess who just found the gas?

Me. As Chad.

So I say into the walkie "No, no you guys go ahead and take the boat, it's fine", and I know I'm within earshot of Jason. I hear back "Dude I just said we need the gas fir...OH poo poo".

Jason had teleported over and starts chasing them down. I saunter over to the boat while he's chasing them through cabins, casually put the gas in the boat, start her up, and ride off into the sunrise.

Right before I'm at the exit I walkie "Hey! I found the gas! And also a boat!"

The curses ring in my headset. Chad rides again.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Scalding Coffee posted:

Pamela is also a quite powerful woman. Able to hold up people and stab them into objects.

You know how women get an insane Hulk-style adrenaline surge when their children are in danger and are able to throw around cars?

Well, Pamela's child is dead. It's just science, people.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Quick question since there are a ton of F13 movie nerds that post in here all the time: why does Kane Hodder get his dick slurped so much for being Jason? He was only in what, 4 out of 26 movies? And the character was well established long before he ever played him? Is it because his name makes him sound like a real serial killer? Just wondering. The only F13 movie I've seen with him was Jason X and it didn't like, revolutionize the character for me or anything (though it was fun trashy romp for sure). I just feel like dude gets a lot of mileage out of playing a character whose face is covered and is mostly silent, and he's not even in half the films.

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
He gave Jason his more 'aggressive' characteristics and gave him some personality (as much as Jason can get I guess). Like, when Jason spots something or someone and his head will swivel towards that direction and then his chest would turn afterwards, etc

And I think behind the scenes he was liked because he has a general passion for the character and was great to work with and such.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

Quick question since there are a ton of F13 movie nerds that post in here all the time: why does Kane Hodder get his dick slurped so much for being Jason? He was only in what, 4 out of 26 movies? And the character was well established long before he ever played him? Is it because his name makes him sound like a real serial killer? Just wondering. The only F13 movie I've seen with him was Jason X and it didn't like, revolutionize the character for me or anything (though it was fun trashy romp for sure). I just feel like dude gets a lot of mileage out of playing a character whose face is covered and is mostly silent, and he's not even in half the films.

Part 7.

Part 7 is the answer.

He did, if not all of his stunts, 99% of the stunts in that movie.

Just watch Part 7. Watch it and marvel.

Part 8 isn't that bad either, but Jason doesn't look near as cool and he doesn't get nearly as many great action moments.

It's kind of funny, honestly. Kane Hodder got to do the set on fire scene in Part 7 entirely himself, and as an aside note it was the ONLY TIME he felt comfortable wearing the costume due to how wet and cold it was, because it was the 80s and he was a stunt man who gave a poo poo.

Fast forward to 2001, and Ken was not allowed to do the fire stunts for Jason even though he really wanted to. He was an Actor and wasn't allowed to do the really dangerous stunts like that, despite being a stunt man himself who had done similar ones before.

Hollywood changed a lot behind the scenes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's all in physical performance.

Look at how Tony Moran plays Michael Myers in Halloween and Kane Hodder plays Jason in 7-X.

That focused, shark moving through water movement is just great. The body following the head gives him an almost supernatural movement. I don't know what to tell you if you can't pick up on nonverbal communication.

See also: why Andy Serkis gets all the mo-cap jobs. Dude's an amazing physical actor.

Also, when you're a big enough movie nerd where you learn the names of stuntmen, seeing the true madmen get their prayers answered and becoming known names is just beautiful. Kane slaughtered his way into our hearts. :3:

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 28, 2017

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
When I think of Jason in my head it's generally how Kane Hodder portrayed him, but I agree he wasn't exactly in any of the good movies, as much as I love 8

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Cool cool. We've been able to watch 1-3 thanks to a Starz free trial with Amazon, and I have it for 2 more days before we're charged. My plan was at least to watch 4 because of Corey Feldman/Tommy Jarvis, but I guess we'll try to get through at least 7. It was funny though, when we watched the first one, it was the first F13 movie my gf had seen, but she'd been watching me play the game all week. So when Pamela showed up, her voice completely gave away who she was and spoiled a little bit of the surprise (although I guess if you were paying attention the Jeep kind of gives it away also).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a huge tokustasu nerd

No duh

So I've always been a giant fan of suit acting. Kane Hodder is really good at it, and 7 shows the most range. When he starts out, he's more like part 6, subtle and controlled. By the end of it, he is absolutely PISSED and it comes through all of the makeup and prosthetics.

Part 6 Jason is a very unique kind of take, because he was very cold and efficient. He was played by an ex Marine I believe, and gave it a very Terminator kind of style, which wasn't a bad idea for a freshly reborn Jason. 2 is mostly like a normal dude, which works for 2. 3 is more out back hillbilly type, which is hilarious given it was a British dude under the makeup. 4 actually has some similarities to 6. Very unemotional, very restrained.

Hodder just worked out this whole body language for Jason that tends to be the best remembered.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Burkion posted:

I'm a huge tokustasu nerd

No duh

So I've always been a giant fan of suit acting. Kane Hodder is really good at it, and 7 shows the most range. When he starts out, he's more like part 6, subtle and controlled. By the end of it, he is absolutely PISSED and it comes through all of the makeup and prosthetics.

Part 6 Jason is a very unique kind of take, because he was very cold and efficient. He was played by an ex Marine I believe, and gave it a very Terminator kind of style, which wasn't a bad idea for a freshly reborn Jason. 2 is mostly like a normal dude, which works for 2. 3 is more out back hillbilly type, which is hilarious given it was a British dude under the makeup. 4 actually has some similarities to 6. Very unemotional, very restrained.

Hodder just worked out this whole body language for Jason that tends to be the best remembered.

He does a pretty decent job emulating those styles in the game mocap too, you can see the different Jasons just in how they walk and carry themselves in the intro/outro cinematics during games.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

McSpanky posted:

He does a pretty decent job emulating those styles in the game mocap too, you can see the different Jasons just in how they walk and carry themselves in the intro/outro cinematics during games.

Yeah agreed. I watched an interview with him and he mentioned that one of his rules is "Jason never runs" but then, poo poo, he had to run to portray a new Jason. I thought he did a pretty admirable job with Jason's heavy, clunky running.

Also Discord is my fault. I had the "can't hear anyone on in-game" bug so some nice souls like Pyr and Burk treated me as the special kid on the bus and made special accommodations. I'm better now though so you can stop it's awful and Tinfoil is a cheater. :mad:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

weekly font posted:

Yeah agreed. I watched an interview with him and he mentioned that one of his rules is "Jason never runs" but then, poo poo, he had to run to portray a new Jason. I thought he did a pretty admirable job with Jason's heavy, clunky running.

Also Discord is my fault. I had the "can't hear anyone on in-game" bug so some nice souls like Pyr and Burk treated me as the special kid on the bus and made special accommodations. I'm better now though so you can stop it's awful and Tinfoil is a cheater. :mad:

Tinfoil doesn't cheat

He does heckle Jason after he dies though so that's great

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

weekly font posted:

In Part 2, Jason is incredibly fast. He runs, climbs, dives, and struggles in a fight with a strong counselor. He's basically a regular strong hillbilly dude.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

weekly font posted:

We've already been over how Discord is cheating for the counselors and Jason being present only sort of makes it fair.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
casual party chat in the back of the discord, business up front in the game

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Lastdancer posted:

casual party chat in the back of the discord, business up front in the game

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm watching Freddy vs Jason right now and it actually rules aside from some bad special effects. Like if they made a Friday movie every year with modern sensibilities and some intentional camp, I'd watch every one.

The problem with the classic F13 formula is that doing one set in 2017 is difficult, because everyone has a phone in their pocket, the Internet has made folklore and regional stories spread far and wide, and unless you set it in some weird alternate universe where nobody's ever seen a horror movie (the way nobody in a zombie movie has ever seen a zombie movie), everyone's so god drat media savvy that they'd actually listen to a guy like Crazy Ralph.

I suppose you could lean into it, though, the way the Hatchet movies did. Movie #1 is the Crystal Lake massacre; movie #2 is a bunch of sheriffs and deputized civilians trying to hunt down the backwoods murderer who sliced up all those kids last year; movie #3 is a bunch of urban explorers and true-crime researchers going back to the scene of the crime; etc.

This would probably be something you could do with Source Filmmaker. If they haven't already ported Jason's character to it, it'll probably happen within the next few months.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Wanderer posted:

The problem with the classic F13 formula is that doing one set in 2017 is difficult, because everyone has a phone in their pocket, the Internet has made folklore and regional stories spread far and wide, and unless you set it in some weird alternate universe where nobody's ever seen a horror movie (the way nobody in a zombie movie has ever seen a zombie movie), everyone's so god drat media savvy that they'd actually listen to a guy like Crazy Ralph.
it's pretty easy to just put people far enough out that their phones don't work and have Neu-Jason be just as genre savvy as the victims. even if they're listening to crazy ralph and saying 'hey yo just in case he's right let's do xyz' then jason can show up and do abc to counter it because it's fuckin' crystal lake motherfuckers he heard you talking

this is honestly good horror movie practice anyway. if you go back and watch other classics that remain really well regarded, like The Thing, part of the reason it's so unsettling is because the survivor crew in The Thing was about as collected, rational, and together as anyone could ask for given the situation they were in - and they still got hosed 8 ways from sunday.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That all reminds me of how the spear gun kill in 3 makes me laugh just for Jason's "Yeah, I just did that" swagger afterwards

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Gotta set up how to run music through my mic just so I can load up Lachappa for a fight and play this when I confront Jason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va5N6TmcG30

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/880225130953265154

So this just happened :stonk:

yeah he caught me and ripped my jaw off. I singlehandedly fueled the car and installed the battery, I only needed the keys :saddowns:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Modernizing the movies:

1: Just do the 1980 movie plot. Kill everyone while they're not suspecting anything. Isolate them and surprise them. Cell phones aren't an issue if you're killed out of loving nowhere.

2: So everyone died here back in 2017. The killer was stopped so it's safe to go back now that that's all over. OH NO THE SAME THING HAPPENED AGAIN BUT I WAS BEHEADED BEFORE I COULD TWEET.

3: Let's sneak into this cordoned off place where all those killings happened in 2017 and 2018 OH NO MY DICK HAS BEEN MINCED and everyone died but a final girl who lives to tell the tale of the invincible monster

4: brother of dead girl from 3 goes to prove the Jason is real and oh look at that everyone dies because they're where they're not supposed to be but Jason is killed by the cops

5: baby you know he's back. He was in a grave but he rose and poo poo. And he's heading for town.

There. That's 5 movies free of plotholes about phones or modern sensibilities where people could conceivably, in our world, not think a ghost story is real and those who believe it are psychoticly obsessed with vengeance.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Coolguye posted:

it's pretty easy to just put people far enough out that their phones don't work and have Neu-Jason be just as genre savvy as the victims. even if they're listening to crazy ralph and saying 'hey yo just in case he's right let's do xyz' then jason can show up and do abc to counter it because it's fuckin' crystal lake motherfuckers he heard you talking

At this point, if a crazy old coot told you about Choppin' Joe, the guy who lives in those woods and chops campers up, most people would abruptly cancel their camping trip. They're not going to still go into the woods with zero cell reception anyway, just a little more careful than usual, because anyone who doesn't live under a rock has consumed at least six forms of media where not listening to the crazy old coot got people killed.

Edit: What I'm saying is that if there is any warning whatsoever about 2017 Crystal Lake, random-rear end gangs of party teens will not go to Crystal Lake. "This is the place where everyone got loving beheaded that one time" will be its third Google result and have its own subheader on the town's Wikipedia entry.

Maybe that could be your opening scene in the new, modern F13 sequel. Crazy Ralph is bothering some completely uninterested travelers at the Crystal Lake gas station, telling their kid the story of Jason, and they drive off. Crazy Ralph goes out back to smoke and Jason jams him into the composter or something, so now the next batch of machete fodder have no idea they're heading into the murder camp.

Coolguye posted:

this is honestly good horror movie practice anyway. if you go back and watch other classics that remain really well regarded, like The Thing, part of the reason it's so unsettling is because the survivor crew in The Thing was about as collected, rational, and together as anyone could ask for given the situation they were in - and they still got hosed 8 ways from sunday.

Yeah, I could easily go the rest of my life without another scene where a bunch of characters in a bad situation spend a good five minutes slowing the movie down with panicking "what if" scenarios that undercut their attempts to make a plan.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 29, 2017

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Counterpoint:

We have an entire 24 hour news network comprised of nothing but Crazy Ralphs telling everyone that California and Chicago are made entirely of bloodthirsty maniacs that rape and shoot white families.

Tourism has suffered for neither.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Counterpoint:

We have an entire 24 hour news network comprised of nothing but Crazy Ralphs telling everyone that California and Chicago are made entirely of bloodthirsty maniacs that rape and shoot white families.

Tourism has suffered for neither.

@Jenny2017 5d
woo party in Crystal Lake for spring break! who cares about those 200 murders #fakenews

@Jenny2017 1h
plz contribute
https://www.gofund.me/crystal-lake-funeral-expenses

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The latest Blair Witch did all that pretty well. The gang was well prepared with everything from constant access to Facebook to a loving remote drone to go above the treetops. Turns out this stuff will not help you versus a horror movie that really wants you dead.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Wanderer posted:

@Jenny2017 5d
woo party in Crystal Lake for spring break! who cares about those 200 murders #fakenews

@Jenny2017 1h
plz contribute
https://www.gofund.me/crystal-lake-funeral-expenses

Man how y'all gonna make me sad in this Friday the 13th thread :smith: poor Morgan she ain't deserve that

EDIT: I opened this on my phone and it gave me a specific gofundme that doesn't show up when I click it in my browser :stare: that's weird

Danaru fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 29, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DeathChicken posted:

The latest Blair Witch did all that pretty well. The gang was well prepared with everything from constant access to Facebook to a loving remote drone to go above the treetops. Turns out this stuff will not help you versus a horror movie that really wants you dead.

These kinds of movies also generally delve into the supernatural so you could have somebody be all like "if it's true why is there no video? What now, smarty pants?" :smaug:

Then somebody is recording their friends dicking around in the lake and, surprise!!!! Jason murders them. They decide to post the video and...Jason isn't in it. Or him getting close made it record nothing but static. What I'm saying is that for some "because magic, fucker" reason there can't be video of it. "Pix or it didn't happen" is kind of a thing so if there are never any pictures or videos you'll have hordes of people going "gently caress it, just a coincidence." I mean you could even set up the scene that explains that deliberately that way.

Coolguye posted:

Life actually did that incredibly well too. The crew spent much of the movie being bafflingly calm (they were also mostly scientists) and analyzing the situation as best they could. Even though the characters were very obviously shaken they could still be logical about the whole situation. "Well that didn't work so...here let's to X because Y." "Yeah that makes sense, let's do it." Then that goes wrong too because it's a horror movie.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Wanderer posted:

At this point, if a crazy old coot told you about Choppin' Joe, the guy who lives in those woods and chops campers up, most people would abruptly cancel their camping trip.

I mean honestly not really. Especially if it's something I'd been planning for awhile, my response is going to be "lol that's retarded, even the middle of nowhere doesn't have active known murderers who don't get caught" and at most be secretly a little paranoid. And I'm not saying that to sound tough or anything, I just wouldn't believe it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Pharmaskittle posted:

I mean honestly not really. Especially if it's something I'd been planning for awhile, my response is going to be "lol that's retarded, even the middle of nowhere doesn't have active known murderers who don't get caught" and at most be secretly a little paranoid. And I'm not saying that to sound tough or anything, I just wouldn't believe it.

thats what them last campers said, before they got gat by ol choppin' joe...

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kelp Plankton posted:

thats what them last campers said, before they got gat by ol choppin' joe...

Also take into account these movies are supposed to be about teenagers. Roughly 18-21ish at a guess. They're going to do dumb poo poo when they're away from adults in the woods at a camp.

It's a slasher for Christ sake, not brain surgery. Teens go into the woods, Jason murders them, rinse and repeat.

Jason is "Dead" at the end of each movie anyway, and a new batch of machete fodder always arrives.

Stop over thinking a slasher movie.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I went into this round specifically to betray everyone as Chad and escape alone.

https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/880241565712756736

I ended up dying with one QTE left to install the phone fuse. Turns out I'm really bad at not being a team player :saddowns:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

Stop over thinking a slasher movie.

That's an unfortunate consequence of trying to do a "modern" F13 in a post-Scream age; you can't just do a straight-up dumb slasher movie anymore. Hatchet is basically a comedy, and the F13 reboot movie still has some element of craft to it, such as the fakeout about who was going to be the final girl.

Thinking about it, if you just go by an average round of this game, you could get a pretty good F13 movie out of a plot where Jason just shows up, and the various counselors/campers/victims end up dying to misadventure or each other over the course of the night, with Jason watching from the bushes and getting increasingly frustrated with each denied kill. He'd end up bushwhacking a paramedic at the end of the movie just to satiate his own murder jones before sulking off back to the lake. Friday the 13th, Part XIV: The Night Jason Didn't Do poo poo.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Wanderer posted:

That's an unfortunate consequence of trying to do a "modern" F13 in a post-Scream age; you can't just do a straight-up dumb slasher movie anymore. Hatchet is basically a comedy, and the F13 reboot movie still has some element of craft to it, such as the fakeout about who was going to be the final girl.

Thinking about it, if you just go by an average round of this game, you could get a pretty good F13 movie out of a plot where Jason just shows up, and the various counselors/campers/victims end up dying to misadventure or each other over the course of the night, with Jason watching from the bushes and getting increasingly frustrated with each denied kill. He'd end up bushwhacking a paramedic at the end of the movie just to satiate his own murder jones before sulking off back to the lake. Friday the 13th, Part XIV: The Night Jason Didn't Do poo poo.

as long as someone accidentally backs over chad in their car when they were trying to let them get in to escape, im down for this movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

There's also the "Jason smashes up the nearby cell towers before his rampage so nobody can get any signal" option as to why nobody just calls the cops or posts on Facebook after finding the first body

• Locked thread