Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

You can field multiple Lieutenants in same HQ slot though?

Oh, that's neat. Yeah I hadn't look closely at them.

The boltgun Lt looks like trash but the power sword guy might not be bad with 4 attacks. My friend thinks that the boltgun one is fine for just hanging back with ranged stuff and taking pot shots, but 4 power sword attacks on a W5 model is enough to be a pretty good bodyguard.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

So Bullgryns got really good. Slabshield gives whem a 2+ save and they hit like autocannons in combat if they have the beatsticks or whatever the gently caress they're called. Best part: 42 pts each.

Hell yeah they did. I'm trying to figure out how to make some good Valhallan ones. In other words, time to practice Greenstuffing giant ushankas.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, they have to be retail - they're supposed to be cheaper than the Dark Imperium box, so $40 and $80 would make sense.

Yeah 20 and 50 pounds are the price points for the AoS mini starters and they convert to $40 and $80 American.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

It's actually weird how many HQs the marine side gets. First Strike + Dark Imperium means 2 Lts and 2 captains, can only field 3 of them in a battallion.

First Strike doesn't come with a captain too, does it? I thought it's just 3 Intercessors, 3 Reivers on the Primaris side?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

First Strike doesn't come with a captain too, does it? I thought it's just 3 Intercessors, 3 Reivers on the Primaris side?

Sorry, yeah. I was thinking Know No Fear. That one comes with a captain.

Know No fear looks to be the dark imperium models, minus the lieutenants, ancient, a unit of intercessors, the bell guy, the plaguecaster, and 2 of the plague marines.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 28, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I suspect eBay will continue to be a great place for cheap Primaris and Deathguard, especially if the cheaper starter sets have other stuff.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

Sorry, yeah. I was thinking Know No Fear. That one comes with a captain.

Know No fear looks to be the dark imperium models, minus the lieutenants, ancient, a unit of intercessors, the bell guy, the plaguecaster, and 2 of the plague marines.

Also half of the Poxwalkers. Honestly, it seems more like a reasonably-priced starter for those who already have the books, rather than a supplement like First Strike.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

SRM posted:

Hell yeah they did. I'm trying to figure out how to make some good Valhallan ones. In other words, time to practice Greenstuffing giant ushankas.

Is there a good way to transport them or are they fine just footslogging?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I suspect eBay will continue to be a great place for cheap Primaris and Deathguard, especially if the cheaper starter sets have other stuff.

They'll become even cheaper. Which, considering a full 1k primaris army can be had for £40/$50 on ebay already, is going to mean basically everyone will have a primaris or death guard army stashed somewhere.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Is there a good way to transport them or are they fine just footslogging?
You can shove them into chimeras and even valkyries. :getin:

SRM, please strap grav-chutes to your ogryns and drop them out of a plane.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Finally finished rebasing everything to match on 32mm bases (with the exception of the storm raven, waiting on a new base from ebay so I don't have to scrape it off). The primaris models are really nice to paint, and the new transfers are much easier to use than the old ones (this may in part be because they aren't 10+ years old). I'm about to go to the store and hopefully play my first game in years.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
That reminds me. Is it possible to remove the helmets from the unhelmeted Primaris' hips and put them back on their heads?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Finally finished rebasing everything to match on 32mm bases (with the exception of the storm raven, waiting on a new base from ebay so I don't have to scrape it off). The primaris models are really nice to paint, and the new transfers are much easier to use than the old ones (this may in part be because they aren't 10+ years old). I'm about to go to the store and hopefully play my first game in years.

gently caress YES. These are gorgeous! What's your yellow recipe on the Primaris Ancient banner?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Played my first game of 40k in about 12 years then.

Was a bit of a silly game given that it was a ~75 power 2v2 of a sensible army and a gimmick super unit army either side, my dark imperium primaris backed up by vanilla Terminators and a Contemptor and a bunch of Necron odds and ends vs 2x5 Grey Knight terminators, a Stormraven, Draigo, Apothecary and a Dreadknight backed up by 2 Knights and a Shadowsword.

Highlights include my ally's night scythe downing the stormraven first turn of first round meaning a third of his army had to footslog towards me, my captain completely wiffing his power fist after using the counter charge stratagem to attack draigo and getting unceremoniously murdered, my Contemptor opening up on draigo now that he was out of combat and closest then squashing him flat in close combat, and me actually losing the last couple of people in either of my intercessor squads to morale surprisingly enough.

By the end of turn 4 we'd been tabled but my opponent was down to 1 Grey Knight and an Apothecary and his teammate had a Knight and half a Shadowsword but it was a fun and surprisingly close match none the less. Units wise lieutenants are really loving nice, the ancient feels like a bit of a waste of space, and as has been mentioned the space marine battle pile is very much a valid tactic. Being able to pelt people from 2 and a half feet away with half my army is really drat satisfying too its just a shame it was against an army of 2+ 5++ 2w.

Got another game on saturday and I think I'll swap the ancient for my chaplain since functionally they have the same ld buff, but the ancients last chance aura did loving nothing for me all game.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

gently caress YES. These are gorgeous! What's your yellow recipe on the Primaris Ancient banner?

Thanks! It was pretty simple, just light grey primer, Averland Sunset, agrax wash, averland again, then yriel yellow highlights. It really came down to painting thin coats.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Booley posted:

That's some good poo poo. Love the banner.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dudes look Baaler.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Bee posted:

That reminds me. Is it possible to remove the helmets from the unhelmeted Primaris' hips and put them back on their heads?

Nope. They're molded directly onto the body. So unless you clip them off then resculpt the back of the helmet, you'll lose a bit of it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

moths posted:

Dudes look Baaler.
I see what you did there.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Has anyone else looked at the Imperial Guard Forgeworld book and seen the points cost for the Marauder Destroyer? Its hilariously undercosted for a superheavy flyer that can hit 13 units each turn.

Total base points are 166.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

jadebullet posted:

Has anyone else looked at the Imperial Guard Forgeworld book and seen the points cost for the Marauder Destroyer? Its hilariously undercosted for a superheavy flyer that can hit 13 units each turn.

Total base points are 166.

Its base cost with weapons is 300. To hit 13 targets a turn it has to buy 8 hellstrike missiles, putting it at 460.

3 twin autocannons, a twin assault cannon, a twin heavy bolter, and 8 krak missile launchers that roll 2d6 drop the lowest for damage like a melta is still really good.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 29, 2017

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Booley posted:

Fuckin' noice.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I think I found a way to add Scions for the herd:

If you were curious about the Minotaurs in the back, they are going to be Bullgryns once I figure out how to graft a grenadier gauntlet on them. The shield will be easy.

I'm still waiting for Centigors to be available, since Rough Riders look fun to field.

For my 1000 point test list I have Doombull as Nork Deddog to protect my Beastlord. I hope it turns out well.

All in all I'm in full panic-paint mode, I need to get a good chunk converted and painted by NOVA.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Received an Ork Warboss on Bike. Had a busted part. Called FW requesting a replacement for the part.

A second Warboss is now being shipped to me.

I love Forgeworld.

GW Prime do this too, at least for finecast as it's all one sprue. I had some bubbling on the eye and face of one of my death cult assassins and they are just sending another one (as soon as it comes back in stock from the UK). I imagine if there was a serious defect on a plastic kit, as rare as that is, it's cheaper to just put in an order in their system for a full new kit as opposed to having a mechanism in place to pull partial kits.

I had some Kasrkin parts missing when I did a special order, and they just sent the parts, but that was all special order and manual packing to start with, so it wasn't really a change. No clue how it works with the few metal models they have still, but I imagine they probably just send a new kit for in stock stuff.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Turned out way better than I'd hoped. I'll get some better shots of him tomorrow.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

Turned out way better than I'd hoped. I'll get some better shots of him tomorrow.

Snaaaaaaaaaaaazzy, looks great. Could use some jazz on the base, though, possibly some skulls to up his skull quotient.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Felime posted:

Snaaaaaaaaaaaazzy, looks great. Could use some jazz on the base, though, possibly some skulls to up his skull quotient.

Ordered that Pack o' Skulls from GW. I'll add em later.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

You can shove them into chimeras and even valkyries. :getin:

SRM, please strap grav-chutes to your ogryns and drop them out of a plane.
My original idea was for armored war bears like in Red Alert 3, but never found a model I liked enough to use for it.

While my photo setup and most of my paints are all packed up, I was able to hash these Prometheum Pipes out today:

It felt so drat good just to paint something again, I tell you what.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

OhDearGodNo posted:

God drat those are cool conversions!

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

OhDearGodNo posted:

If you were curious about the Minotaurs in the back, they are going to be Bullgryns once I figure out how to graft a grenadier gauntlet on them. The shield will be easy.

I'm still waiting for Centigors to be available, since Rough Riders look fun to field.

For my 1000 point test list I have Doombull as Nork Deddog to protect my Beastlord. I hope it turns out well.

All in all I'm in full panic-paint mode, I need to get a good chunk converted and painted by NOVA.

Man these are totally awesome.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hixson posted:

They have black armor and like swords

tallkidwithglasses posted:

That's a hallmark of a fine legion, imo

chutche2 posted:

My legion has black armor and likes handjobs, does that make it a fine legion

:five:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I said this like 1 page ago but I'll repeat it because it's even more true now, there are some drat fine models being posted right now. Those Blood Angels are fuckin sick.

Did someone mentioned 32mm base extenders recently? I've decided I cannot be hosed with resin bases on my CFs any more, so all new stuff is going on plastic (which means 32mm) - it'd be good to get everything matched up for size.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Swapped my prim marines for another Nurgle half and getting stuck into painting them this week. Trying to get at least table ready for a few games on Saturday. Looking to run a horde army with one detachment Death guard and another as a Nurgle daemon horde. Both will be psykers buffing swarms of Troops and spitting out smites, should be hilarious but drat so much to paint!

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Corrode posted:

Did someone mentioned 32mm base extenders recently? I've decided I cannot be hosed with resin bases on my CFs any more, so all new stuff is going on plastic (which means 32mm) - it'd be good to get everything matched up for size.

http://eccentricminiatures.com/adapterrings.html

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

chutche2 posted:

What even makes templars different?

Crusader squads instead of tac squads, and a bunch of characters and the no psyker rule?

If you're going by fluff, they are easily, easily the most divergent chapter from the Codex standard. These are basically all the super angry holdouts from the Imperial Fists who were more than willing to throw down against the Ultramarines when Rowboat first introduced the Codex. Rogal Dorn gathered all the most zealous hardliners in the Imperial Fists, gave them to Sigismund and basically threw them back into the Galaxy.

They barely even pay lip service to the restrictions or provisions of the Codex, they don't have companies and really no one even knows how many of them there are, but it seems to be around ~6000+. They only reference the Codex insofar as it says that "If you're in the middle of a crusade and you need to ignore bits of this book, that can be ok." The Templars got to that point in the book, declared themselves on a permanent crusade and promptly ignored all of it.

The issue is they were a 4th edition codex, and at the time the rule differences they had made them very, very different from the other Marine armies. They just never seemed to do anything with it later, like how Blood Angels got their fliers and special vehicles and the Wolves got their Wolfin/Thunderwolves/etc. Right now they just have the anti-psyker rule, and a watered down version of their old Crusader Squad along with their special characters.

Here were the old Rules differences before that:
-Righteous Zeal (If you shot and killed a Black Templar guy, the rest of the unit would immediately move up to d6 inches toward the thing that shot at them)
-The Emperors Champion, a unique duelist HQ that gave the whole army access to...
-Army Wide Vows, the most commonly of which was Accept the Challenge, No Matter the Odds which gave the whole army preferred enemy (everything).
-Crusader Squad which was not only a combined tactical/scout squad, but could take more melee special weapons than usual.
-Land Raider Crusaders were dedicated transports (The Templars are the ones who discovered/developed them) 4
-Psykers need not apply.
-Although not exactly "unique," the Templar went so long without an update they were the only space marines that could purchase Tank Hunters/Furious Charge for their Sword Brethren Terminators and Sword Brethren for a long time. This meant that Twin Lightning Claws, Accept the Challenge, Furious Charge assault terminators were definitely in contention for top dog assault unit (Strength 5, Initiative 5 on the charge, re-rolling all misses and all wounds, ignoring armor saves).

They have a lot of potential for being radically different, but there doesn't seem to be the same push for them to actually get new content like there was for the Blood Angels/Space Wolves/Dark Angels.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The Space Wolves are equally divergent since they're essentially still a legion and just went gently caress off with regard to the codex.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I can understand wanting to focus on the first founding chapters primarily, but once the 3 non-codex marines are done I hope we also get Black Templars and Legion of the Damned. After all, 8th edition could theoretically hold the same framework for a long while, right? That means full codex updates may not be needed.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

The Bee posted:

I can understand wanting to focus on the first founding chapters primarily, but once the 3 non-codex marines are done I hope we also get Black Templars and Legion of the Damned. After all, 8th edition could theoretically hold the same framework for a long while, right? That means full codex updates may not be needed.

I really hope the Space Sharks get some love, after I'm done my Admec I wanna start them up.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Cainer posted:

I really hope the Space Sharks get some love, after I'm done my Admec I wanna start them up.

I don't know of they'd get full codex status, but hopefully fan favorite successors like them can get at least chapter tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Killer_Bees! posted:

Swapped my prim marines for another Nurgle half and getting stuck into painting them this week. Trying to get at least table ready for a few games on Saturday. Looking to run a horde army with one detachment Death guard and another as a Nurgle daemon horde. Both will be psykers buffing swarms of Troops and spitting out smites, should be hilarious but drat so much to paint!

These are looking great! How do you paint your green?