Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

OctaMurk posted:

Turns out some Republicans have souls

lol no. More like some see the obvious political suicide that is this bill and want to avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

OctaMurk posted:

Let's not be hasty here.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

wow, the bloomberg guy wasn't joking, this is big

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/880177792922603520

this would completely blow up the entire real reason they're doing this thing

"If we're just doing this so we can give tax cuts to the rich, why are we doing it?" sounds like the beginning of an existential crisis for a Republican

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

evilweasel posted:

souls, and/or some awareness of political reality and the fact that even in tennessee this might put them at risk in 2018 (corker is a pretty safe seat up for re-election in 2018 who may be getting nervous about the combination of this + trump suddenly making things a race)

i would lean toward the latter

yeah corker only won narrowly in 2006. if 2018 is another wave year he could be in trouble, especially as nashville booms

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

plus axing the tax cuts would basically blow up conservative support, which is basically "fine we'll keep parts of obamacare if we can get those sweet sweet tax cuts"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FizFashizzle posted:

Can we talk about trump going to Paris after the G20 summit because it doesn't make any sense at all.

He basically cancelled his england trip because of how much he'd be protested, and the technical prime minister of england has embraced him as a friend.

Macron went out of his way to humiliate him, both in public and behind closed doors with other leaders, and the french will build barricades if he goes into Paris.

I think he just scheduled it so he could cancel at the last minute and be a dick.

I choose to believe Macron buttered him up and asked him all nicely to come and Trump agreed because you could get him to do anything if you kiss his rear end a little and make him think he'll get a hero's welcome. And secretly Macron is giggling about protests and press treatment he'll get.

I definitely think there's a non-zero chance the White House cancels when they actually think about it.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

yeah corker only won narrowly in 2006. if 2018 is another wave year he could be in trouble, especially as nashville booms

Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga have all grown substantially since 2006

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

OctaMurk posted:

Absolutely not. It's savvy politicians trying to make this turd look less overtly evil in the eyes of voters before going, "we tried but just couldn't get there."

They know this thing is dead but want to put some makeup on it before putting it in the ground.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
Whatever happened to the 'tick, tick'ing ? Did I miss something?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just got an email from Anthem Blue Cross saying they may be discontinuing my healthcare plan in 2018.

"Why are you doing this?

Unfortunately, uncertainty in the health insurance market does not provide the clarity and confidence we need to offer affordable coverage to our members in 2018."

For a form letter from an insurance company that's a pretty big statement

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

OctaMurk posted:

Turns out some Republicans have souls poor constituents that vote for them

Fixed that for you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JasonV posted:

Nothingburger.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

JasonV posted:

Nothing has been posted claiming to be the bomb yet. Wonder if the story got delayed in all the health care madness sucking up news cycles.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Duke Igthorn posted:

I just got an email from Anthem Blue Cross saying they may be discontinuing my healthcare plan in 2018.

"Why are you doing this?

Unfortunately, uncertainty in the health insurance market does not provide the clarity and confidence we need to offer affordable coverage to our members in 2018."

For a form letter from an insurance company that's a pretty big statement

Anthem was the only insurance company chomping at the bit for this to pass.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Fixed that for you.

The two aren't mutually exclusive though. Corker's seat is safe AFAIK, he could just choose to gently caress over his poorest constituents and still win

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:black101:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol no. More like some see the obvious political suicide that is this bill and want to avoid it.
I can almost hear them curse under their breath (or at least think it) "Fuckin' Obama!" :argh:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

He also did the same thing in Oklahoma in 2014 which can mean only one thing. His GPS is possessed by Satan.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Nothingburger.

Given Wittes' close connections to Comey and the intelligence community "deep state" I very much doubt he was tick ticking about a nothing story. Something big will drop soon about the Russia investigation, probably via WaPo.

I don't doubt taking down Trump will be a long and arduous process, but there are a lot of arzying poo poo-posters itt.

oh no nothing matters

actually, things do matter, and Trump failing to deliver on his hyugest campaign promises (build the wall, repeal Obamacare) does piss off a chunk of his hardcore base.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

"If we're just doing this so we can give tax cuts to the rich, why are we doing it?" sounds like the beginning of an existential crisis for a Republican

lmao there are actually republicans that think there is any purpose to repealing and replacing obamacare other than lowering taxes on the rich.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Lemming posted:

How I imagine the Koch brothers are responding to the story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4SRsGn14PI

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lemming posted:

Classic RINO behavior

But, like, non-ironically

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
dear reporters: please ask the White House about THE WALL

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Pellisworth posted:

Given Wittes' close connections to Comey and the intelligence community "deep state" I very much doubt he was tick ticking about a nothing story. Something big will drop soon about the Russia investigation, probably via WaPo.

I don't doubt taking down Trump will be a long and arduous process, but there are a lot of arzying poo poo-posters itt.

oh no nothing matters

actually, things do matter, and Trump failing to deliver on his hyugest campaign promises (build the wall, repeal Obamacare) does piss off a chunk of his hardcore base.

It couldn't have been the update that the senate intel committee gets the Comey notes, could it?

Seems like a relatively minor evolution, not tick tick tick worthy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

The two aren't mutually exclusive though. Corker's seat is safe AFAIK, he could just choose to gently caress over his poorest constituents and still win

In wave elections seats that shouldn't be at risk suddenly become at risk, and his seat is the sort of seat that might be at risk if things got bad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pellisworth posted:

dear reporters: please ask the White House about THE WALL
There's a report I saw in the Orlando Sentinel about construction starting in Sept, but there is no funding and no bids even approved yet so I think they are crazy

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Pander posted:

It couldn't have been the update that the senate intel committee gets the Comey notes, could it?

Seems like a relatively minor evolution, not tick tick tick worthy.

Wittes would tweet a link to the relevant article and BOOM. That hasn't happened.

Whatever he's pimping could well be a nothingburger but we don't know because it hasn't broke yet.

So far he's been reliable with Comey news bombs. We'll see!

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's a report I saw in the Orlando Sentinel about construction starting in Sept, but there is no funding and no bids even approved yet so I think they are crazy

Yeah, nothing at all. The Trump admin will try to play anything it can as progress towards THE WALL but until Congress approves a budget including wall funds it's not actually happening.

A border wall is one of those tangible things you can point to and say "no, actually you didn't do poo poo."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/880185565668286464

even fox couldn't make this look good

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I also support unicorns

https://twitter.com/emmaroller/status/880184180256067586

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

I hate when the right uses children in political protest. Same with the left especially when the adult tries to make it seem like the kid wrote it. No, an adult human made that sign.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

hahaha, even Anne Coulter is annoyed by Hannity's Trump devotion.

https://twitter.com/BecketAdams/status/880185980858355713

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chilichimp posted:

I agree that the term 'MSM" is bad and needs to die. Maybe when Trump falls the divide of the MSM and RWM will die with him.

I hope Sean Hannity dies of a heart attack while trying to take a poo poo.

I hope Hannity dies while being waterboarded.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Their ideal healthcare bill was one that was:

So, get to work on that Congress.

Aside from "not raise taxes" they literally want UHC but are too dense to realize it.

Can't wait to see my out of pocket expenses double! :confuoot:

OctaMurk posted:

You don't need to have a soul to grasp the idea of self-preservation. If voting for this bill wouldn't affect their own careers, let alone if it'd help, they'd be entirely on board regardless of how many people it hurt.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Ann Coulter is like catwoman in that I have no idea whose side she's actually on

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

nine-gear crow posted:

Schmidt is fascinating because if Game Change is to be believed, Sarah Palin broke his brain so hard it made him functionally a liberal. But you're right about those three, they seem to be the sanest Republicans left standing.

I've seen Richard Painter making the rounds too. He seems like a pretty reasonable guy.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

Ann Coulter is like catwoman in that I have no idea whose side she's actually on

Search your soul

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Haha I forgot the bill makes the tax cuts for the wealthy retroactive. That can't even be justified using their standard "encouraging investment" rhetoric. It's just a naked, massive handout to the rich and nothing more.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Roger Stone is just going to turn the hearing into a circus and make it all look very stupid by saying stupid things and acting dumb isnt he?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Blitz7x posted:

She is on whatever side gets her the most attention. She doesn't really care one way or another.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Blitz7x posted:

I hate when the right uses children in political protest. Same with the left especially when the adult tries to make it seem like the kid wrote it. No, an adult human made that sign.

You'd be surprised. My kids' school is very crunchy lefty and I could easily see some of the kids there making a sign like that. Hell I could see my own daughter doing a similar sign (though she'd be more likely to have somersaulting ninja fairy flinging throwing stars on the bottom panel. My daughter is awesome). And honestly while I disagree with the message that the right promotes I think that giving your kids practical experience in being politically active is a good thing.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

Ann Coulter is just aggressively racist, to the point that her racism overrules her general affinity for conservative politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

HappyHippo posted:

Haha I forgot the bill makes the tax cuts for the wealthy retroactive. That can't even be justified using their standard "encouraging investment" rhetoric. It's just a naked, massive handout to the rich and nothing more.

The government also faces a looming debt crisis because a lot of wealthy Americans are delaying payment of their taxes until they know if a tax cut is coming

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ng-out-of-cash/

Denver Post article was just a copy+paste of the WaPo article :v:

• Locked thread