Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

U.T. Raptor posted:

Muramasa Rebirth is like that too. Every single DLC character's alternate ending (which requires, iirc, beating all the bosses from the base game with them or something) is worse, both for them and in general, than the one you get by default by beating their stories.

I disagree at least when it comes to the little demon girl. Her second ending is more heart warming.

The ninja dude definitely gets proper hosed by his second ending though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Gitro posted:

e: I definitely won't kill myself with this grenade launcher. I've learned my lesson, I'll be careful. Oh no I didn't see that maggot right next to me, how could this have happened??

You didn't mention what game this is but I'm sure it's Nuclear Throne and that's definitely one of the hilarious parts because I'm just as broke-brained with explosives as you are.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gitro posted:

e: I definitely won't kill myself with this grenade launcher. I've learned my lesson, I'll be careful. Oh no I didn't see that maggot right next to me, how could this have happened??
Disc. Gun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A missed opportunity in a lot of post-apocalypse games that would be somewhat funny, would be to have the strongest armour in the game be called the Armour of the Ancients. When you finally get it and equip it - it's our armour. We're the ancients. It's a pair of Cargo trousers, a t-shirt, a kevlar vest and a warm jumper. :3:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BioEnchanted posted:

A missed opportunity in a lot of post-apocalypse games that would be somewhat funny, would be to have the strongest armour in the game be called the Armour of the Ancients. When you finally get it and equip it - it's our armour. We're the ancients. It's a pair of Cargo trousers, a t-shirt, a kevlar vest and a warm jumper. :3:

Or it's a suit of plate mail from a museum and you can't see poo poo now, and it's super heavy and also not especially useful.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Reminds me of Joshua Grahams armor in New Vegas. All his fellow legionaries are wearing romanized football gear, he's wearing jeans, a western shirt, and a bulletproof vest (And full body bandages when you meet him.) And he's a freaking badass.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Every now and then I try to play through Freedom Fighters as I like the structure, but I keep forgetting one thing - at some point areas you've cleared stop remaining cleared. The furthest I ever get involves killing soldiers at and blowing up a helipad, then escaping through the sewers, but whenever I spawn in that area from that sewer all the soldiers are back, the helipad is theirs again and I get shot to death. That really sucks that it doesn't save.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This is really dumb, but in Saints Row IV, no matter what you do, the big gently caress-off alien megastructure in the city remains its the original Bad Guy colors. Everything else like it (whatever they are called, I can't remember) turns from red to blue, which is a nice visual representation that you're taking over stuff from the aliens.

But not the biggest, largest thing. I kinda figured once you completed the game (either the story or actually 100%), the thing would change colors. After all, at the end you're running the entire simulation.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

RyokoTK posted:

You didn't mention what game this is but I'm sure it's Nuclear Throne and that's definitely one of the hilarious parts because I'm just as broke-brained with explosives as you are.

Boiling Veins prevents accidents like that. If you're going explosives heavy it's basically mandatory.

Also this goes more into the PYF Things rather then dragging game down but similar to how everyone eats the throne laser in the face the first time they make it to the throne, when you loop and the IDPD van comes and runs you over, it was an amusing surprise.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Yardbomb posted:

That actually sounds like some kind of blatant error that made it's way through anyway, what in the hell.

It's deliberate and completely consistent with the rest of the game's plot. The USA is there on a glorified revenge mission, and one of their agents is directly responsible for the terrorist attack that provoked Operation Kingslayer, the events described happen, and then post-game DLC shows that the government has completely collapsed and simply been replaced with para military survivors of the initial "purge".

While the execution is pretty poo poo, and your character has little agency, it's thematically relevant. There's no sudden reverse on everything that came before or anything, especially given a number of El Sueno's lieutenants go the same route as him.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

BioEnchanted posted:

Every now and then I try to play through Freedom Fighters as I like the structure, but I keep forgetting one thing - at some point areas you've cleared stop remaining cleared. The furthest I ever get involves killing soldiers at and blowing up a helipad, then escaping through the sewers, but whenever I spawn in that area from that sewer all the soldiers are back, the helipad is theirs again and I get shot to death. That really sucks that it doesn't save.

This is an amazing game and I'm upset I lost the discs.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

MisterBibs posted:

This is really dumb, but in Saints Row IV, no matter what you do, the big gently caress-off alien megastructure in the city remains its the original Bad Guy colors. Everything else like it (whatever they are called, I can't remember) turns from red to blue, which is a nice visual representation that you're taking over stuff from the aliens.

But not the biggest, largest thing. I kinda figured once you completed the game (either the story or actually 100%), the thing would change colors. After all, at the end you're running the entire simulation.

I was disappointed their colors change to blue instead of Saints purple.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Greed mode in Binding of Isaac has a weird reverse difficulty cure both in a single playthrough sense and a meta sense. It's an arena mode where you fight waves of enemies with more spawning every ten seconds or so. At the end of a round you can use money you earned to buy upgrades.

In a playthrough the first wave is usually by far the hardest since you'll only have found a single random item pulled from a so-so pool. After that your power will generally go up a lot faster than the enemies' unless you have truly poo poo luck.

In a meta sense it has a reverse difficulty curve because of the way unlocks work. As you get more achievements in the game you'll unlock more enemies intended to make the game more difficult. But in greed mode, a wider variety of enemies means that Greed himself will spawn far less often in the first round. He's much tougher than anything else that can spawn in those waves, and when I first tried greed mode I'd usually see him in 2 or more waves of the first round. Now that I've unlocked all of the enemies I almost never see him.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Moon Monster posted:

Greed mode in Binding of Isaac has a weird reverse difficulty cure both in a single playthrough sense and a meta sense. It's an arena mode where you fight waves of enemies with more spawning every ten seconds or so. At the end of a round you can use money you earned to buy upgrades.

In a playthrough the first wave is usually by far the hardest since you'll only have found a single random item pulled from a so-so pool. After that your power will generally go up a lot faster than the enemies' unless you have truly poo poo luck.

In a meta sense it has a reverse difficulty curve because of the way unlocks work. As you get more achievements in the game you'll unlock more enemies intended to make the game more difficult. But in greed mode, a wider variety of enemies means that Greed himself will spawn far less often in the first round. He's much tougher than anything else that can spawn in those waves, and when I first tried greed mode I'd usually see him in 2 or more waves of the first round. Now that I've unlocked all of the enemies I almost never see him.

After a hundred or so hours of BoI I got to the point where I just use a script to give myself 99 coins at the beginning of a run to help negate the tedium of the first few floors where there's very little variation and you're almost entirely at the risk of the RNG. You still have to play smart and strategize and luck still effects you but being able to nab a few upgrades and some consumables at the shop at the beginning makes it a lot more fun to play without being too game-breakingly powerful by the time you reach the endgame areas.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Sniper Elite 4 is amazing. The large but discreet maps remind me of Ground Zeroes and I'm genuinely surprised how much stealth factors into the gameplay.

But I'm having a hard time gauging my shots. I'm on Normal so I know only bullet drop is affecting my shots but I need to get a handle on how dialing my scope affects my shot placement because I'm sort of consistent when my face shots but not enough for my liking.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

I've used it a few times and the only time its killed me is when I deliberately shot it into myself. I was so sure I'd have already killed myself with it if I could I had to check.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Immortal Redneck is a FPS Roguelite and by any measure it's the best of its kind so far, and the first one I've played that is actually genuinely fun to play without reservations (unlike a game like Strafe which I'd say "I kinda like it but...").

The only knock I really have against it are the scrolls. They're pickups that convey a random buff or penalty, basically like the pills in Binding of Isaac or potions in Caveblazers or whatever. They're mostly good, the odds of getting a favorable (or at least kinda-good-kinda-bad) scroll seems to be at least 80% so on paper it seems like the strategy is just to take every scroll you see and build a playstyle around the emergent buffs and debuffs you get. It's kinda like Stone Soup: eat all the purple.

The only problem is that several of the debuffs are basically anti-fun. Some debuffs are things like removing your crosshair, or lowering your accuracy, or switching a weapon you have with a random new one. These are fine. But then there are debuffs like not being able to switch your weapon at all until it runs out of ammo, or now suffering from fall damage (when the game normally doesn't have it), or the worst of all -- lowering your movement speed. And you can get the movement debuff multiple times, which I found out. The best thing is that once you get the movement debuff twice, you're dead in the water since you can't dodge shots anymore -- enemies lead their shots a bit and you're not really fast enough to juke them anymore. Anything that inhibits the good mechanics that make this game actually really fun when compared against Ziggurat (the game it's most like) can bring a good run to a screeching halt, so eventually it seems like I never want to risk picking up a scroll after the halfway point in case it destroys a potentially good run.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Better yet, when you get stuck with hieroglyphics and can't even tell what some of these new ones are that you're getting, up until it does something to screw you up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I picked up the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 bundle and Atlantica is every bit as unfun as I remember it being.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

Sniper Elite 4 is amazing. The large but discreet maps remind me of Ground Zeroes and I'm genuinely surprised how much stealth factors into the gameplay.

But I'm having a hard time gauging my shots. I'm on Normal so I know only bullet drop is affecting my shots but I need to get a handle on how dialing my scope affects my shot placement because I'm sort of consistent when my face shots but not enough for my liking.

Yeah, I'm starting to feel a little bad for my victims because instead of precisely splattering their brains half the time I'm just tearing off their jaws. It might help to try some different rifles, as they appear to have different styles of sights. For example, I went straight for the Mosin (:ussr:), and while the high muzzle velocity helps to deal with wind it only has a pretty minimalist vertical post sight picture. So if my target is ~60m away with a middling crosswind, I kind of have to put my target's head right into empty space with little to guide the eye.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love everything about Space Channel 5... except playing it. A rhythm game with no visual indicators means I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm hitting the right buttons as close as I can to the beat and keep randomly falling. Sometimes I get a weird perfect run of a minute or two when it clicks, but then it's back to failure. Grrr lousy dancing spacemonsters

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Necromancer for Diablo 3 has been released and while she's a wonderfully fun class to play, the voice acting is just...humourless. Completely. She's very well acted, but everything's so dry and dull - doesn't even show a whiff of excitement when three hundred monsters have their spines explode and reform into shapeless abominations under her command.

Not expecting Borderlands level of, uh, "humour" with it but it's a little sad after the dry wit of the Crusader class.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to feel a little bad for my victims because instead of precisely splattering their brains half the time I'm just tearing off their jaws. It might help to try some different rifles, as they appear to have different styles of sights. For example, I went straight for the Mosin (:ussr:), and while the high muzzle velocity helps to deal with wind it only has a pretty minimalist vertical post sight picture. So if my target is ~60m away with a middling crosswind, I kind of have to put my target's head right into empty space with little to guide the eye.

Hmm I haven't switched off rifles except for the carcano yet. I'll have to experiment with that and scope zeroing.

Also I'm really feeling the online restrictions everyone was talking about with HITMAN. for some reason cutscenes will warp my audio and softlock the game and then I have to log off and reset my wireless adapter every time to fix things.

It's so fun but the online connectivity is loving up my time.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Len posted:

I picked up the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 bundle and Atlantica is every bit as unfun as I remember it being.

Only really redeeming thing about Atlantica is the heartless designs there. And that the giant Ursula fight is funny.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Witcher 3 doesn't really hold up to a second playthrough gameplay-wise. 90 percent of the crafting recipes are worthless. There's far, far too much useless loot and materials. The combat is too simple on normal and too tedious on hard. I guess it's best that none of Souls games went full on open-world since when DS2 went direction it got a bit bland and aimless. It would have been better if your level wasn't the only means of progression since it renders all other rewards trivial.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I love everything about Space Channel 5... except playing it. A rhythm game with no visual indicators means I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm hitting the right buttons as close as I can to the beat and keep randomly falling. Sometimes I get a weird perfect run of a minute or two when it clicks, but then it's back to failure. Grrr lousy dancing spacemonsters

Is it the PS2 version? I swear there must be some kind of bug or input delay or something because I aced the PS2 and PC versions of SC5: Part 2 but I could never get past the first level of the first.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Perestroika posted:

The game is also apparently not at all designed to be actually played without all the objective markers on the UI and map. There are so many tasks you just kinda get told to do but don't actually get any more instruction, making it super annoying to look for the specific thing you need to click on or a place you should know how to get to on the highest difficulty. You are also apparently not issued with a goddamn compass, but luckily the maps are so tiny it hardly makes a difference for navigation.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Mr. Flunchy posted:

A long time ago when i tried the ps2 version i had to use a gameshark to get past stage one, then had promptly had no problem clearing the rest. I think the timing in the first stage was so slow it was actually was making it harder for me to match it.

Nuebot posted:

:shrug: Maybe now roadhog players have to be as aware of the game around them as everyone else instead of just wandering around in a daze getting free kills every few seconds while shrugging off damage and healing themselves.
Man overwatch always sounded like a tf2 clone to me but this reminds me so much of the pryo nerfs back when it was new.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Overwatch is TF2 II and I mean that in the best way.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Accessing split-screen co-op in Samurai Warriors 4 Empires was so needlessly touchy. No tutorials or prompts on how to do it. The manual says P2 just needs to touch the touchpad on the army composition screen but they can't do so until P1 has already established the army (if they hit the touchpad before that point there is no response). Took me like 30 minutes to figure out what was going on, with at least 5 minutes convinced that every report of couch co-op online was an elaborate lie.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

Is it the PS2 version? I swear there must be some kind of bug or input delay or something because I aced the PS2 and PC versions of SC5: Part 2 but I could never get past the first level of the first.

I'm running my DC disc on an emulator. I've finished it now - the best tactic was to just not look at the screen very much while I was playing and play purely by sound.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Witcher 3 doesn't really hold up to a second playthrough gameplay-wise. 90 percent of the crafting recipes are worthless. There's far, far too much useless loot and materials. The combat is too simple on normal and too tedious on hard. I guess it's best that none of Souls games went full on open-world since when DS2 went direction it got a bit bland and aimless. It would have been better if your level wasn't the only means of progression since it renders all other rewards trivial.

I'm a fair bit into the Blood and Wine dlc after completing everything else, and you've just hit on my biggest fear about starting a new game. It's easily one of my favorite games but I habe doubts as to it's replayability.

Which reminds me, I bought Witcher 3 because I got bored of Mass Effect Andromeda half way through. And now that it's been announced that there will be no single player dlc, it's very unlikely I'll ever finish it. What a waste.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sniper Party posted:

The game is also apparently not at all designed to be actually played without all the objective markers on the UI and map. There are so many tasks you just kinda get told to do but don't actually get any more instruction, making it super annoying to look for the specific thing you need to click on or a place you should know how to get to on the highest difficulty. You are also apparently not issued with a goddamn compass, but luckily the maps are so tiny it hardly makes a difference for navigation.

While we're bitching about Sniper Elite, the implementation of silenced weaponry feels a little awkward, mostly because those that are silenced by default are just so much better than anything else. For those who haven't played it, most weapons can use Silenced Ammo to fire quietly, with the trade-off that the ammo is very rare and has much worse bullet drop and penetration. However, some weapons are suppressed by default, and simply convert any regular ammo you find (which is incredibly plentiful) into Silenced Ammo, while retaining decent ballistics. The Welrod (default silenced pistol) is so ridiculously useful that the game feels more like Pistol Elite than Sniper Elite at times.
Now, you don't have to use those weapons (especially the silenced sniper rifle, which I imagine would completely trivialise everything), but there are often so many enemies around that going loud while still trying to avoid an open firefight takes forever, what with having to reposition all the time and waiting for the enemies to go where you need them. Particularly in low-visibility missions at night it's often just much easier to whip out the silencer and cut a quick and undetectable swathe through your enemies from up close.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Perestroika posted:

While we're bitching about Sniper Elite, the implementation of silenced weaponry feels a little awkward, mostly because those that are silenced by default are just so much better than anything else. For those who haven't played it, most weapons can use Silenced Ammo to fire quietly, with the trade-off that the ammo is very rare and has much worse bullet drop and penetration. However, some weapons are suppressed by default, and simply convert any regular ammo you find (which is incredibly plentiful) into Silenced Ammo, while retaining decent ballistics. The Welrod (default silenced pistol) is so ridiculously useful that the game feels more like Pistol Elite than Sniper Elite at times.
Now, you don't have to use those weapons (especially the silenced sniper rifle, which I imagine would completely trivialise everything), but there are often so many enemies around that going loud while still trying to avoid an open firefight takes forever, what with having to reposition all the time and waiting for the enemies to go where you need them. Particularly in low-visibility missions at night it's often just much easier to whip out the silencer and cut a quick and undetectable swathe through your enemies from up close.

I'm guessing it's a risk/reward kinda thing the game wants to impose in that it doesn't want me to make every mission a cakewalk by silently doming every Nazi.

I did like that the second map reminded me of the proxy wars in MGS4. A skirmish pops off between the resistance and the Nazis and you can choose to help them and risk alert or discreetly gently caress off and finish the mission.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

well why not posted:

Overwatch is TF2 II and I mean that in the best way.

I like that OW simplified the advanced jumping movement in TF2 so that they're less about execution and more learning when it's best to use them since they have cooldowns.

The one thing I miss from TF2 is that some classes' loadouts supported other classes even if they weren't healers. Like Snipers throwing Jarate on teammates who are on fire, Heavies tossing Sandviches to their Pocket Medics, or Homewrecker Pyros babysitting Sentry Guns while the Engineer respawns.

I guess I'm saying I don't see teammates interacting with each other mechanically besides just healing or buffing each other.

Also, because of how short the maps and rounds are in OW and most of the time matches operate under Highlander rules, I haven't felt that kind of security as Torbjorn an Engineer feels when he's got another Engie or two and they all work together to build defenses up to level 3 as fast as possible.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

It also has a bullshit new boss, Ultra Greed. Instead of actually making a new boss they just said " Give Greed like 500 more hitpoints and make him 3 times as fast" and then went to lunch.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I decided to play a bit of Portal Stories: Mel tonight, but while it has aspects that I liked vis-a-vis the sense of humour, the fanmade jank crept in fairly early. The VA for Cave Johnson was alright at first if an obvious impression, but after a bit the accent slipped and broke it's neck and he was suddenly obviously german/swedish/whatever. He also cleared his throat way too much, which was a shame because his lines were funny - the idea was you start in the 1950s joining Aperture at it's peak, then sleep a little too long as it falls apart. Cave had some cute excuses, like claiming a mess was due to a lot of earthquakes, then when computers started showing up he added that the "Earthquakes have also shook up time, that's why you are seeing future stuff right now, it's not that you were asleep for 20 years... Also the first real puzzle was pretty obnoxious, requiring some odd maneuvres for that early in the game where I think you needed to somehow catch a box via momentum but you only have a short window before the puzzle resets and it's just not fun.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It also has a bullshit new boss, Ultra Greed. Instead of actually making a new boss they just said " Give Greed like 500 more hitpoints and make him 3 times as fast" and then went to lunch.

Ultra Greed is waaaay different than Greed. Are you thinking of Super Greed? All of the seven sins minibosses have super versions that yeah, are pretty much just base version++. They've been in the game since long before greed mode though.

After unlocking greedier mode I tried it once on Lilith. I probably would have beat him if I hadn't had to learn the fight, but he's a huge pain the rear end and greedier mode is largely greed mode but shittier so I think I'm gonna pass. lol@ doing that with Keeper and The Lost.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Jun 30, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Action Tortoise posted:

I like that OW simplified the advanced jumping movement in TF2 so that they're less about execution and more learning when it's best to use them since they have cooldowns.

The one thing I miss from TF2 is that some classes' loadouts supported other classes even if they weren't healers. Like Snipers throwing Jarate on teammates who are on fire, Heavies tossing Sandviches to their Pocket Medics, or Homewrecker Pyros babysitting Sentry Guns while the Engineer respawns.

I guess I'm saying I don't see teammates interacting with each other mechanically besides just healing or buffing each other.

Also, because of how short the maps and rounds are in OW and most of the time matches operate under Highlander rules, I haven't felt that kind of security as Torbjorn an Engineer feels when he's got another Engie or two and they all work together to build defenses up to level 3 as fast as possible.

On one hand it's nice because it means that Torbjorn doesn't have the sheer game changing power as an engineer does. But at the same time if you go Torb and none of your tanks protect your turret, a mildly alert enemy team can basically keep you on lockdown meaning you basically have to switch because you'll never get your turret up to level two for more than a few seconds again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

oh dope posted:

Which reminds me, I bought Witcher 3 because I got bored of Mass Effect Andromeda half way through. And now that it's been announced that there will be no single player dlc, it's very unlikely I'll ever finish it. What a waste.

It hasn't been announced, it's just a rumor that EA is denying.