Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Exterior painting question. We have a contract for a house to get painted, and I'm looking for some "what to paint what color" advice. We have the colors picked out, but I'm having trouble visualizing what to paint what.

Main body is gonna be light gray, trim white, shutters dark gray, front door is like between royal and navy blue I guess.

Trying to figure out what to do with the storm doors, garage doors, garage man door, and the sliding glass and separate door/storm door on the back deck.

Garage on side, doesn't face front sorry for potatocam

Doors on back deck

I guess the storm door frames will be painted the trim color (white)? It's what they are now, except all yellowed from UV I guess. Sound right?

The two other normal steel doors (garage and deck), any thoughts on whether they get blue or just the main body color or the trim color? The garage can be seen from down the street (but doesn't face the street), not sure if you want that front door to be the one that pops in blue then everything else sort of blended (i.e. do all the other doors in the body color or trim color)? Also they're painting gutters and downspouts, should they just blend with whatever they're on? Main color for the downspouts against the siding, and trim color for the one that runs down the corner attached to the corner board?

I thought the hard part was picking the actual color but it is becoming apparent there's a lot of random poo poo to houses other than siding trim and shutters.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

novamute posted:

Best option to get rid of the remains of a tree corpse? Neighbor and I took down a big one between our houses and are looking into the cheapest options for getting rid of it. He thinks there is a place that'll take the remains off our hands for free if we chip it first (vs ~$100 per trailer load otherwise) and haul it out there so I'm looking at renting a 6" chipper from a big box store and breaking it down. Had a tree service out to quote haul/dispose and it was $1400.

It is super sappy so I don't think it'll make good firewood.

The answer to this is to get a big rear end dropbox from our local garbage company. Decent rate for yard debris only and I don't need to make a bunch of trips to the dump.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
drat dude - your house is beautiful!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Sab0921 posted:

drat dude - your house is beautiful!

Not enough asbestos siding :colbert:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Cross-post from Home Zone thread in DIY

OK I'm going crazy here. On one wall in my house I have three regular-size wall plates that are blank, and a double-size blank. I opened them up and they all have the same wires in them: grey coating with a red, black (each with copper inside) wires and some sort of string. Voltage tester shows nothing. The wires have about 12" of length stuffed inside each box. Here's a picture: http://imgur.com/a/KXwgx

Any idea what these are? I thought maybe speaker wire or something but no idea where they'd go. Telephone lines make no sense, and they're not wired to take an outlet. I had hoped they would be runs of Cat5e but no dice there.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What should I do first once I close on my house?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Christobevii3 posted:

Walk around naked in it

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Omne posted:

Cross-post from Home Zone thread in DIY

OK I'm going crazy here. On one wall in my house I have three regular-size wall plates that are blank, and a double-size blank. I opened them up and they all have the same wires in them: grey coating with a red, black (each with copper inside) wires and some sort of string. Voltage tester shows nothing. The wires have about 12" of length stuffed inside each box. Here's a picture: http://imgur.com/a/KXwgx

Any idea what these are? I thought maybe speaker wire or something but no idea where they'd go. Telephone lines make no sense, and they're not wired to take an outlet. I had hoped they would be runs of Cat5e but no dice there.

The jackets aren't printed with anything? Maybe stick a battery on one and see if you get a reading anywhere else with a multi-meter? Looks like heavy gauge speaker or intercom wiring.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Christobevii3 posted:

get all new toilet lids so that you can poopy without getting gross

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Christobevii3 posted:

Drugs

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Christobevii3 posted:

Bring any remaining money to the local hardware store, and set it on fire (the money, not the hardware store)

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I do plan on buying two oval toilets that aren't for midgets. I already have a ton of tools. First house was a $20k lot/trailer that leaked in three spots. It is going to be weird not having aluminum to peel open wherever I want and car jacks to work on my house.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Plant some fruit trees.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

H110Hawk posted:

The jackets aren't printed with anything? Maybe stick a battery on one and see if you get a reading anywhere else with a multi-meter? Looks like heavy gauge speaker or intercom wiring.

Based on their location, I'd assume speaker lines.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Yeah, looks like speaker wire, i bet rear channel speakers were there.

edit: oh wait you said on the SAME wall. Still guessing speakers.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Omne posted:

Walk around naked in it

Please make sure you have blinds first. The neighbors don't want to see you naked. This may be difficult because blinds are expensive as gently caress.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sab0921 posted:

Please make sure you have blinds first. The neighbors don't want to see you naked. This may be difficult because blinds are expensive as gently caress.

You assume people actually look in through the windows. Unless you're standing right in front of the window with your bits on display, odds are nobody's gonna see anything.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Christobevii3 posted:

Cry.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
I live in a Philly rowhouse and I'm at the end of the row. My neighbor has a motorcycle and their nanny has a vespa which they both park on the sidewalk next to my house. Here's a photo.

Parking motorcycles on the sidewalk in front of your house in Philly is semi legal afaik, but people here are lovely and we're kinda worried that someone is going to "trip" over one of the bikes and then try to sue us since it's our sidewalk.

We also just don't really want them there. Weird that they don't just park in front of their house which is right next door, but I guess they don't want to have directly in front of their door or something. We are cool, but don't know them well enough to have that kind of conversation without it being a thing. How do I deal with this without being a petty dickhead?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sab0921 posted:

How else are you supposed to establish dominance of the neighborhood?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

BusinessWallet posted:

I live in a Philly rowhouse and I'm at the end of the row. My neighbor has a motorcycle and their nanny has a vespa which they both park on the sidewalk next to my house. Here's a photo.

Parking motorcycles on the sidewalk in front of your house in Philly is semi legal afaik, but people here are lovely and we're kinda worried that someone is going to "trip" over one of the bikes and then try to sue us since it's our sidewalk.

We also just don't really want them there. Weird that they don't just park in front of their house which is right next door, but I guess they don't want to have directly in front of their door or something. We are cool, but don't know them well enough to have that kind of conversation without it being a thing. How do I deal with this without being a petty dickhead?

Do you live in SE Center City? All of Philly looks the same, but this looks like the block adjacent to where I lived (21st and Lombard - near Pemberton)

Either way, be a real Philly rear end in a top hat and tell him to move his loving bikes for reasons and if he doesn't tell him you're going to get them towed.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Do you live in SE Center City? All of Philly looks the same, but this looks like the block adjacent to where I lived (21st and Lombard - near Pemberton)

Either way, be a real Philly rear end in a top hat and tell him to move his loving bikes for reasons and if he doesn't tell him you're going to get them towed.

or routinely steal his tires' valve stems.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It's in "East Kensington" aka Fishtown

I like your attitude :lol:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BusinessWallet posted:

God I loved living in Philly! lol

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
It's a great city for sure. There are a lot of weird unwritten laws in different neighborhoods, not a lot of places like this anywhere.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Thoguh posted:

How else are you supposed to establish dominance of the neighborhood?

I beat up my next door neighbor on the day I moved in

VVV
Agreed - think you're being a bit of a spaz on this one. Just let it ride.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 29, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BusinessWallet posted:

it's our sidewalk.

Really? The sidewalk is on your property? In most places a sidewalk is public property and a public right of way. Are you, for example, responsible for repairing the sidewalk if it's damaged?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Leperflesh posted:

Really? The sidewalk is on your property? In most places a sidewalk is public property and a public right of way. Are you, for example, responsible for repairing the sidewalk if it's damaged?

Yes, and this isn't just a Philly thing, it's been like this wherever I've lived. Maintenance, snow removal, etc. are often or always on the property owner. We just had a big to-do at a town near me because the city was planting a bunch of free sidewalk shade trees, and a significant portion of residents were threatening to cut them down because they didn't want to be liable for their sidewalk repairs not the roots caused heaving.

Likewise, you can be fined if you don't clear snow, or potentially liable big it's not maintained and someone trips.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah hence the brisk business of Steven Leuzzi - the King of the Concrete Jungle!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

Yes, and this isn't just a Philly thing, it's been like this wherever I've lived. Maintenance, snow removal, etc. are often or always on the property owner. We just had a big to-do at a town near me because the city was planting a bunch of free sidewalk shade trees, and a significant portion of residents were threatening to cut them down because they didn't want to be liable for their sidewalk repairs not the roots caused heaving.

Likewise, you can be fined if you don't clear snow, or potentially liable big it's not maintained and someone trips.

...Huh.

That seems really stupid and wrong, but I guess it means not paying taxes to pay for sidewalk maintenance.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Leperflesh posted:

...Huh.

That seems really stupid and wrong, but I guess it means not paying taxes to pay for sidewalk maintenance.

If I recall correctly, you're in California? Might be confusing you with another regular poster though. If so, state law is the same, that cities are not by default liable for sidewalk maintenance:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/sidewalks-considered-homeowners-property-56365.html

Same in PA and NJ at least. Some cities have cost share programs. The liability issue is more murky though.

Alleys are another grey zone. Most town and cities don't own the alleys, and maintenance and snow clearing can fall into a grey zone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

If I recall correctly, you're in California? Might be confusing you with another regular poster though. If so, state law is the same, that cities are not by default liable for sidewalk maintenance:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/sidewalks-considered-homeowners-property-56365.html

Same in PA and NJ at least. Some cities have cost share programs. The liability issue is more murky though.

Alleys are another grey zone. Most town and cities don't own the alleys, and maintenance and snow clearing can fall into a grey zone.

Weird. Well, thanks for the info! Yeah I'm in California. Recently (in the last couple years) the city went round my neighborhood and ground down every place where a sidewalk segment had lifted, making them flat and eliminating the tripping hazard. We weren't notified or anything, they just did it.

But I just checked and my city ordinance does indeed make me responsible for the maintenance and repair of my sidewalk. There's a special program to help with doing repairs, cool cool.

But also I maintain this is dumb. Leaving repairs up to individual property owners is a recipe for having poorly maintained segments of sidewalk all over the loving place. I'd far rather every property owner pay a modest tax to a fund that just proactively repairs and maintains sidewalks everywhere. It's like the definition of a commons.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Yeah, another thing to add to the godddamn motorcycle. If they gently caress up the sidewalk, I have to fix it. I didn't even think about that.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
There is water coming out of my ceiling in my living room. I expect this is not going to be a happy service call.

Do never buy indeed.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

BusinessWallet posted:

Hey neighbor

BusinessWallet posted:

There are a lot of weird unwritten laws in different neighborhoods, not a lot of places like this anywhere.

I mean everyone parks their motorcycles and scooters on the sidewalk, but it is your sidewalk so it's weird they're using it. You could probably work out a quid pro quo system and if they're not complete dicks you might get a case of beer or something out of it. I was going to ask if your neighbor was an actual kenzo or a yuppie and then I realized you said "nanny" and "vespa" so if it bothers you, you could probably do anything you want and not worry about revenge. Have you befriended any kenzo neighbors? If you haven't, befriend your local kenzo neighbors. They will help with this matter. Everyone who isn't a new resident yuppie hipsters such as myself and probably you and your neighbor is extremely well connected to the community and knows everyone. They are also pretty creative with their justice.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

LogisticEarth posted:

That's because the sidewalk really does belong to you. You own it and pay taxes on it. BUT it's an easement. So you have to keep it clear for the public to use. Good poo poo right?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That's my neighborhood secret. Just don't have sidewalks.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think in Colorado the city owns the sidewalks but most places have laws about how you have to shovel your sidewalks if it snows. Actually those are only ever enforced to drive "undesirables" out of the neighborhood, so they probably only have similar laws in other places with too many crazy white people.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 30, 2017

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Pryor on Fire posted:

I think in Colorado the city owns the sidewalks but most places have laws about how you have to shovel your sidewalks if it snows. Actually those are only ever enforced to drive "undesirables" out of the neighborhood, so they probably only have similar laws in other places with too many crazy white people.

Those aren't easements. Actually a lot of places are like this and just implement common-ground ordinances. Actually making a sidewalk an easement where you technically own the piece of property but have no real control over it - but all the responsibility - is pretty lovely though I can see why some cities in particular might find it to be a convenient budget-saver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Colorado resident here. This is more or less correct. City owns the sidewalk and everything out from it (we have an equally sized landscaping section outside of the sidewalk) but owner is responsible for snow removal and even concrete repair. The city will ticket for significant cracks or failure to remove snow.

Of course they also ticket for weedy, brown lawns but that's another story.