Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
All these pages if spoilers and not one mention that Hitler was killed by a psychotic pocketwatch transformer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

YggiDee posted:

All these pages if spoilers and not one mention that Hitler was killed by a psychotic pocketwatch transformer

I did.

But, checking back, I didn't mention that the watch that killed Hitler was specifically a transformer. My bad.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RedSpider posted:

I still don't understand why critics and youtuber's are insisting that The Last Knight is the worst Transformers film. There is nothing in this film that comes close to the bullshit of Mudflap and Skids, or Revenge of the Fallen in general. Also, Shia LaBeouf (gently caress that little shithead forever). I think it's the best installment since the first film.
Because "stop having fun wrong" is the selling point of criticism as product as opposed to criticism as academia.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

But, checking back, I didn't mention that the watch that killed Hitler was specifically a transformer. My bad.

Not quite clear why a Decepticon would assassinate Hitler, though. Unless he was just so evil that he united the Transformer factions against him.

I'm also not sure what to make of Tony Hale and the Transformers having such different explanations for what Cybertron was doing to the Earth. He interprets Cybertron as draining the heat from the molten core, which will then disrupt the magnetic field protecting us from cosmic rays, and everyone will die. The Transformers present the Earth as being a giant sleeping robot named Unicron that will be drained of its life force until it dies, and us with it. The movie repeats the line about a sufficiently advanced technology seeming like magic. But this seems more like a case of sufficiently advanced technology (Unicron) seeming like a natural phenomenon.

The Earth being a giant evil robot, the enemy of Cybertron, also makes Optimus Prime's decision to send the AllSpark to Earth, as we were told back in the first movie, pretty weird.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not quite clear why a Decepticon would assassinate Hitler, though. Unless he was just so evil that he united the Transformer factions against him.

I'm also not sure what to make of Tony Hale and the Transformers having such different explanations for what Cybertron was doing to the Earth. He interprets Cybertron as draining the heat from the molten core, which will then disrupt the magnetic field protecting us from cosmic rays, and everyone will die. The Transformers present the Earth as being a giant sleeping robot named Unicron that will be drained of its life force until it dies, and us with it. The movie repeats the line about a sufficiently advanced technology seeming like magic. But this seems more like a case of sufficiently advanced technology (Unicron) seeming like a natural phenomenon.

The Earth being a giant evil robot, the enemy of Cybertron, also makes Optimus Prime's decision to send the AllSpark to Earth, as we were told back in the first movie, pretty weird.

In the first movie, didn't they just toss it out into space? Meaning it just "naturally" ended up on RoboSatan.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
I couldn't take it all in during the initial viewing, but this movie did a great job with depicting transformations. We finally got to see Hound and Crosshairs, and a few of the group transformation sequences were really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dj2F7Rg4Q8

One of my favorites is still when the Autobots transform to escape Sector 7 in the first movie. "Optimus, incoming!" Seeing it for the first time in 2007 was amazing (1:49 in this video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJNzgOS-3Fs&t=109s

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 28, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RedSpider posted:

Mudflap and Skids

Man I almost forgot about these guys.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Pachakuti posted:

In the first movie, didn't they just toss it out into space? Meaning it just "naturally" ended up on RoboSatan.

Ah, yeah, I may be misremembering. Been a while since I've seen either of the first two.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Because "stop having fun wrong" is the selling point of criticism as product as opposed to criticism as academia.

It's half this, and half being upset that for five movies now, they've been screeching about how bad these movies are, to no avail. Each time a Transformers movie comes out, their criticsms become stronger, yet people still watch them. Basically, it's resentment that everything they believe that Bay/Transformers does things that should be punished, yet they are rewarded for those same things.

poo poo, this last one has performed the worst out of all of them, domestically, but it has nothing to do with what the critics say. Domestic audiences are just getting bored of Transformers.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 28, 2017

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

HiriseSoftware posted:

One of my favorites is still when the Autobots transform to escape Sector 7 in the first movie. "Optimus, incoming!" Seeing it for the first time in 2007 was amazing (1:49 in this video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJNzgOS-3Fs&t=109s

The first movie probably has my favorite transformations of the entire series:

1. Prime & Bonecrusher on the highway
2. Starscream during the big city battle
3. Pretty much any of Megatron's, but especially in Hoover Dam bunker

They all seem to be so intricate and complex but with a real sense of weight. It's taken for granted now but Bay really pulled off an amazing accomplishment with that first one.

Also goddamn, it's been a decade. Where has the time gone?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

The first movie probably has my favorite transformations of the entire series:

1. Prime & Bonecrusher on the highway
2. Starscream during the big city battle
3. Pretty much any of Megatron's, but especially in Hoover Dam bunker

They all seem to be so intricate and complex but with a real sense of weight. It's taken for granted now but Bay really pulled off an amazing accomplishment with that first one.

Also goddamn, it's been a decade. Where has the time gone?
The first movie's transformations (and the integration of CG into the live action in general) really were one of those increasingly rare examples of "something you've never seen on screen before", and ILM clearly worked their arses off to make them look as good as possible. (I was genuinely surprised that it lost the VFX Oscar to The Golden Compass, which even at the time I thought didn't stand up - I never once managed to suspend my disbelief, whereas I just rolled with the far more outrageous stuff in Transformers.)

Had to laugh at that Last Knight video when Barricade showed up to pick a fight with Bumblebee again. He seemed pretty dead in Dark of the Moon...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

It's half this, and half being upset that for five movies now, they've been screeching about how bad these movies are, to no avail. Each time a Transformers movie comes out, their criticsms become stronger, yet people still watch them. Basically, it's resentment that everything they believe that Bay/Transformers does things that should be punished, yet they are rewarded for those same things.

I'd imagine it's more personal resentment that, as professional critics, they have to sit through the same old robot poo poo every couple of years. They don't care that people go and see bad movies anyway.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'd imagine it's more personal resentment that, as professional critics, they have to sit through the same old robot poo poo every couple of years. They don't care that people go and see bad movies anyway.

Nah, if you look at regular folk on forums and comments sections, you still see this weird sense of offence, as if Michael Bay has committed a crime. Someone described the finale of Revenge of the Fallen as 'an atrocity.' I think there is an unspoken contest to be the most offended and be the most angry at these films.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, if you look at regular folk on forums and comments sections, you still see this weird sense of offence, as if Michael Bay has committed a crime. Someone described the finale of Revenge of the Fallen as 'an atrocity.' I think there is an unspoken contest to be the most offended and be the most angry at these films.

These Transformers have a very distinct style. If you can't get behind Bays idiosyncratic storytelling and his juvenile sense of humor, his films are a nightmare to sit through. I have no doubt these critics truly hate these movies and aren't trying to one up eachother or whatever

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yaws posted:

These Transformers have a very distinct style. If you can't get behind Bays idiosyncratic storytelling and his juvenile sense of humor, his films are a nightmare to sit through. I have no doubt these critics truly hate these movies and aren't trying to one up eachother or whatever

Youtube critics like RedLetterMedia are just straight out refusing to review it at all.

well why not posted:

that rundown neglects to mention that the amulet is probably excalibur or at least a remnant of arthurian 'magic'

marky mark has it

Milky Moor posted:

It also only shows up once and not a single person comments on it. Marky Mark uses it to stop a sword wielded by a Knight of Cybertron dead in its tracks.

I think that came from them running two MacGuffin plots simultaneously. The TF films like to use two different types of MacGuffin plots: some random human finds an alien item which is a key to unlocking some power, or some random human has the ability to find the location of a relic due to their birthright (their great great grandfather left clues, etc.) In this case the amulet/sword is the first type of MacGuffin and the staff was the second type. Of course the point of either type is exactly the same: the bad guys want to grab the human because of it and this gives the good guys the impetus to befriend and protect the human. In Last Knight they wanted two lead human characters therefore they had to supply a different MacGuffin for each of them. The plot explanations for the MacGuffin existing is pretty much window dressing on top of that, in this case they didn't really bother fleshing out the amulet/sword and once they found the staff that was all the motivation the bad guys needed to keep doing bad poo poo so the other MacGuffin wasn't needed any longer.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 29, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Youtube critics like RedLetterMedia are just straight out refusing to review it at all.

:allears: I think this is my favorite Transformers movie now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nuebot posted:

:allears: I think this is my favorite Transformers movie now.

Red Letter Media have actually made three videos about The Last Knight and they all follow the same format. Here's the 58 minute Plinkett Review which is actually only 30 seconds long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiRS1b--TTQ

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Finally got to see this yesterday. I want to write a longer list of impressions at some point, but for now the part that stuck out the most was when they were fighting in that abandoned city (and they kept stressing that it was abandoned) but then there was a bored old black man in the side of one of the first shots there, a janitor inexplicably sweeping the floors of one of the half-destroyed abandoned buildings, and a random junkie shooting up in the background of one of the action sequences.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Pachakuti posted:

This is a fairly typical plot point in 'modern' storytelling. Particularly with comic books - sooner or later the writers wonder why all the cool poo poo happens on earth, why do all the cosmic space villains want to crush it, or conquer it, and it becomes tiring saying BECAUSE <PERSON/CHARACTER/THING> ANGERED THEM. It becomes easier to just make the Earth literally the target, by way of creating a giant gently caress off reason why.

I think recently in Marvel comics they even did this by writing a storyline where the Earth actually had a celestial being gestating within it.

I have many a beef with TF5, but I like the explanation of 'All the transformers poo poo happens on earth because they are drawn to it for a reason' instead of 'luck and circumstance lead to several massive events ending up on Earth/the moon'.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Krangdar posted:

Finally got to see this yesterday. I want to write a longer list of impressions at some point, but for now the part that stuck out the most was when they were fighting in that abandoned city (and they kept stressing that it was abandoned) but then there was a bored old black man in the side of one of the first shots there, a janitor inexplicably sweeping the floors of one of the half-destroyed abandoned buildings, and a random junkie shooting up in the background of one of the action sequences.
That city seemed to be a crossroads with four shops and a church in it, but then SURPRISE! offscreen skyscraper there all along! I love Bay's grasp of geography. It's like watching a GM winging an RPG.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
That was officially one of the most stupid films I have ever watched. It was bad on so many levels that I really don't know where to begin. That said, the entire thing was almost worth it for that moment where the Robo-butler is playing the music while Anthony Hopkins is trying to tell Marky Mark and Generic Babe about the plot. Almost.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I liked Transformers 5.

I think that this film presents a syncretic view on how to create a community between disparate groups. Yes, there is hyper kinetic violence, but this violence is framed as a negative thing. Violence can only serve to buy time, never to solve problems.

What solves problems is reason and acceptance and the coming together of multiple groups to stand against genocide and destruction. The Transformers, to a one, are representatives of the worst of toxic masculinity, overly violent, overly crude, prone to sexualization, and devoid of the feminine.

Quintessa is the only feminine Transformer present, and her goals are to save her world, regardless of the cost. The weight of seeing the damage done by the toxic masculinity of her children has made her cynical and zealous, but her reasoning makes sense, especially since humanity does not seem any better than the Transformers.

But humanity does have more to it than the Transformers. The Transformers can only destroy, their only relationships are hierarchical and rooted in the needs of their organizations of violence. No Transformers are friends to other Transformers. Again, with the exception of Quintessa who views the Transformers as her children.

The humans, however, develop a variety of bonds. They are parents and friends and romantic partners and mentors. And they form those relationships not just with other humans, but with the Transformers as well. And the Transformers form those complex relationships with humans in return.

Humanity and the Transformers together are able to achieve significantly more together than they can apart. And so, it shows the way that community can be formed, regardless of how different the constituent members are.

And certainly, the movie is flawed. There are way too many characters, and those characters often disappear for vast swathes of time. The narrative is clearly fashioned together from multiple scripts. There is still racism and sexism in the film, even as it attempts to critique those social ills.

But I think the final picture is one that comes together to be better than the sum of its parts. I don't ask anyone to overlook those flaws, and I freely acknowledge them. But I think that this movie may well be the best Transformers movie yet, and one of the best films I've seen this year. (I don't watch a lot of movies.)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

a cock shaped fruit posted:

It becomes easier to just make the Earth literally the target, by way of creating a giant gently caress off reason why.

As far as I could tell, there is never any reason given for why transformers randomly crashland on Earth. What is it, a giant magnet? The reveal is meaningless.

It's important to note the discrepancy between dialogue and what actually happens. For example, the ostensible heroes constantly talk about self-sacrifice, but only Anthony Hopkins actually dies.

Meanwhile, evil Megatron leads the literal Suicide Squad.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Quintessa is definitely gonna show some rear end in the next one.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

They did, in a way: they committed the crime of telling you where, specifically, you sit with regards to general moviegoers. It turns out, you're the outsider. Sure, you can go watch a video of someone online who hates it for that same reason, so you don't feel alone. You're still that weird dude who doesn't want to see the movie everyone you know wants to see, and you'll be the only one not entertained at the end.

Especially you're the kind of person in which being a 'movie person' is a part of your personality you take pride in. Nobody likes a situation where you're an outlier of something you're passionate about. There's the ability to self select a bit - you aren't different, see, this or that Dude On The Internet agrees with you - but still.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 1, 2017

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Yaws posted:

Critics hate the Transformers films -- on truly visceral and hysterical levels -- precisely for this reason; they view the consistent success of the series as a repudiation of their 'correct' worldview (structure, filmmaking, politics, etc.).

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Arquinsiel posted:

That city seemed to be a crossroads with four shops and a church in it, but then SURPRISE! offscreen skyscraper there all along! I love Bay's grasp of geography. It's like watching a GM winging an RPG.

This was my favorite part of the movie, because if you live near Detroit you can tell that half the movie was filmed in Detroit. And that's been the case for literally all of the movies since the first one came out. It's really great seeing Cade and crew supposedly hop from North Dakota or something and going to this town, which like you said seems like a small abandoned town, and is actually apparently much larger with skyscrapers behind, cause it was filmed in Detroit. So was the segment with Izabella's Transformer and the four kids. I just love that Bay uses the city so much and never uses it as Detroit. Like Terry and another goon mentioned in her rundown of Dark of the Moon, that scene before Chernobyl with I think Lennox and the Ukrainian guy is filmed inside the lobby of the Fisher Building, which I think gets reused again in this one and is the skyscraper you mentioned and see repeatedly in the background of the abandoned town. Same with the old train station. It's used as the building with the statues on top in the first film that Shia runs through and gets destroyed while Megatron is chasing after the cube and again in Dark of the Moon when Terry mentions Optimus hides himself or turns himself away from the angel. He's just a big fan of the city and I appreciate it. I don't know where I'm going with it, but there's a bit of trivia for you I guess.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As far as I could tell, there is never any reason given for why transformers randomly crashland on Earth. What is it, a giant magnet? The reveal is meaningless.

It's important to note the discrepancy between dialogue and what actually happens. For example, the ostensible heroes constantly talk about self-sacrifice, but only Anthony Hopkins actually dies.

Meanwhile, evil Megatron leads the literal Suicide Squad.

There isn't a reason given. I think it's supposed to be part of 'Earth is Unicron'.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If Unicron is something like the Devil, then Earth is something like Hell. Anything leaving (or tossed) from Cybertron would eventually settle here.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The movies do tend to end with Optimus Prime sending out calls for other Transformers to come to earth so that explains that at least.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

RedSpider posted:

Critics hate the Transformers films -- on truly visceral and hysterical levels -- precisely for this reason; they view the consistent success of the series as a repudiation of their 'correct' worldview (structure, filmmaking, politics, etc.).

That's a bit if a stretch. The qualms critics have with the Transformers movies are completely legitimate.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Sir Potato posted:

This was my favorite part of the movie, because if you live near Detroit you can tell that half the movie was filmed in Detroit. And that's been the case for literally all of the movies since the first one came out. It's really great seeing Cade and crew supposedly hop from North Dakota or something and going to this town, which like you said seems like a small abandoned town, and is actually apparently much larger with skyscrapers behind, cause it was filmed in Detroit. So was the segment with Izabella's Transformer and the four kids. I just love that Bay uses the city so much and never uses it as Detroit. Like Terry and another goon mentioned in her rundown of Dark of the Moon, that scene before Chernobyl with I think Lennox and the Ukrainian guy is filmed inside the lobby of the Fisher Building, which I think gets reused again in this one and is the skyscraper you mentioned and see repeatedly in the background of the abandoned town. Same with the old train station. It's used as the building with the statues on top in the first film that Shia runs through and gets destroyed while Megatron is chasing after the cube and again in Dark of the Moon when Terry mentions Optimus hides himself or turns himself away from the angel. He's just a big fan of the city and I appreciate it. I don't know where I'm going with it, but there's a bit of trivia for you I guess.

What up, metro Detroit brother! :hfive: I was an extra in Dark of the Moon, I was in that scene at the Fisher building you mentioned. That one low-angle shot of the two guys walking towards the camera, I lost count of how many times we had to do that. Bay got pissed at one of his crewmembers, something about the camera rig having a loose mechanism. I was the guy in the background walking away, and I'm somewhere in the crowd below when Lennox is talking. Josh Duhamel even said hi to us afterwards, he was nice. And TALL.

It was a fun 11 hours for $104. Their production offices were right next to the Packard plant, so it was cool to see it all dressed with the Chicago trains lying about. I was also in the quick shot of the moon landing parade and they took pictures of us for newspaper clippings that pop up in the film - Bay even gave me direction! "You in the gray shirt, do this!" Everything that day was a lot of effort for just mere seconds of screen time.

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 1, 2017

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

HiriseSoftware posted:

What up, metro Detroit brother! :hfive: I was an extra in Dark of the Moon, I was in that scene at the Fisher building you mentioned. That one low-angle shot of the two guys walking towards the camera, I lost count of how many times we had to do that. Bay got pissed at one of his crewmembers, something about the camera rig having a loose mechanism. I was the guy in the background walking away, and I'm somewhere in the crowd below when Lennox is talking. Josh Duhamel even said hi to us afterwards, he was nice. And TALL.

It was a fun 11 hours for $104. Their production offices were right next to the Packard plant, so it was cool to see it all dressed with the Chicago trains lying about. I was also in the quick shot of the moon landing parade and they took pictures of us for newspaper clippings that pop up in the film - Bay even gave me direction! "You in the gray shirt, do this!" Everything that day was a lot of effort for just mere seconds of screen time.

This was humanity's last chance to stop these films being made. And you failed.

I have a theory that the next movie has to reveal that every Transformers movie is an alternate dimension, and they have to go back to the original TV series and Optimas is horrified what the Movie Optimas's have become. Sorta like the TNMT Zero movie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

That's a bit if a stretch. The qualms critics have with the Transformers movies are completely legitimate.

But that's what he's saying. Critics can talk a lot about how wrong the structure of first film is, but people go to see it and love the crap out of it. They can talk about how poor the filmmaking is of the next one, but people go to see it with smiles on their faces. They can talk about the bad politics of the third film, but they have to write it down because there's a crowd of loud, excited people standing behind him talking about how much they loved it are drowning him out.

If there's a modern franchise so perfectly said to transform into a giant neon sign that says YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT FILM ON A FUNDAMENTAL LEVEL to a critic, it's the Transformers movie franchise.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

But that's what he's saying. Critics can talk a lot about how bad a McDonald's hamburger is, but people go to eat it and love the crap out of it. They can talk about how poor the making is of the fries, but people go to eat it with smiles on their faces. They can talk about the bad politics of the McDonald's corporation, but they have to write it down because there's a crowd of loud, excited people standing behind him talking about how much they loved it are drowning him out.

If there's a modern company so perfectly said to transform into a giant neon sign that says YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT FOOD ON A FUNDAMENTAL LEVEL to a critic, it's the McDonald's restaurant franchise.

Money made = quality. A loving dumb philosophy, but one you've chosen to define your idiotic worldview.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Money made = quality. A loving dumb philosophy, but one you've chosen to define your idiotic worldview.

See, this is part of what we're talking about. When the success of tentpole movies (or fast food chains) is enough to repudiate your views on films or food, that says a lot about the stability of your worldview. That's part of the source for the critical anger for the Transformers series: it tells them they are wrong.

Look at a list of the top grossing films of all time. If it makes you angry, you're doing something wrong. It doesn't for me.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 1, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

See, this is part of what we're talking about. When the success of tentpole movies (or fast food chains) is enough to repudiate your views on films or food, that says a lot about the stability of your worldview.

Look at a list of the top grossing films of all time. If it makes you angry, you're doing something wrong. It doesn't for me.

So you agree that McDonald's makes one of the best, most high quality hamburgers out there?

If someone said to you "I don't like McDonald's, the quality of the food is very bad" your response would be "But they've sold billions of burgers, they must be good!"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

So you agree that McDonald's makes one of the best, most high quality hamburgers out there?

If someone said to you "I don't like McDonald's, the quality of the food is very bad" your response would be "But they've sold billions of burgers, they must be good!"

My response to someone bitching about the quality of McDonalds is always an eye roll, since burgers are burgers. Sometimes, I'd give them a poke and ask them how much they pay for their artisinally-grown burgers with locally-sourced lettuce that fills you up just as much as my cheap-rear end double-cheeseburger-just-ketchup-and-mustard-please.

edited to not make it hypothetical, because I do know some people for whom affectations are the most important thing, so I have had this discussion.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 1, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

But that's what he's saying. Critics can talk a lot about how wrong the structure of first film is, but people go to see it and love the crap out of it. They can talk about how poor the filmmaking is of the next one, but people go to see it with smiles on their faces. They can talk about the bad politics of the third film, but they have to write it down because there's a crowd of loud, excited people standing behind him talking about how much they loved it are drowning him out.

If there's a modern franchise so perfectly said to transform into a giant neon sign that says YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT FILM ON A FUNDAMENTAL LEVEL to a critic, it's the Transformers movie franchise.

I think the Transformers movies are a gift to film critics. Every few years they get to go scorched earth on one of these movies. Really sink their teeth into them. It must be such a serene release of emotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I do think it's interesting how the TF films are probably the most derided big name franchise series in existence, by the audience and critics alike, and yet they still make so much goddamn money. Even if people are screaming about how much they hate these films and how much they hate Bay and how they can't tell what's happening or whatever, they always go. It's one of the things that I'm glad Lindsay Ellis pointed out about these films -- they're basically unique in how they succeed despite seemingly being universally disliked.