Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So a long straight hook. What's the weight you are adding for no current pond?
Bullet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

So a long straight hook. What's the weight you are adding for no current pond?
Bullet?

Oh no, a weight kills the wiggle. You are paying $0.75 per worm for that wiggle. There are wacky jigs but they are meant for like trickworms and the like. A senko weighs like 3/8oz, so plenty heavy to cast.

The double o-ring is really the best rigging method. The weedless one I posted works well but you will burn through worms. The main trick for wacky worms is;

1) Let it sink on a semi slack line so you get that wiggle.
2) Watch the line constantly. Bass will very often just slurp it up and you will feel nothing until it has already swallowed the hook. You will sometimes only see a slight tick in the line.

That wiggle;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EttQFKIUtUE

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Be careful rigging Yamamoto Senkos this way. They are heavily salt impregnated so they only last a few fish. Rigging a Yama Senko that way you will lose them quickly and these things are expensive.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hagie posted:

Be careful rigging Yamamoto Senkos this way. They are heavily salt impregnated so they only last a few fish. Rigging a Yama Senko that way you will lose them quickly and these things are expensive.

Yes, even "a few" is optimistic. But it is the only weedless rig I have ever made consistent hooksets with after trying like a half dozen different weedless hooks.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What kind of depth do you guys fish when you use wacky rigs?

Also, any recommendations for a reliable spinning reel for bass fishing? I don't want anything fancy, so I'm hoping < $50 should be enough for a 2000 size that a) has tolerably smooth drag and b) doesn't cause wind knots.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Enigma posted:

Also, any recommendations for a reliable spinning reel for bass fishing? I don't want anything fancy, so I'm hoping < $50 should be enough for a 2000 size that a) has tolerably smooth drag and b) doesn't cause wind knots.

I have a Shimano Sienna reel and Sojourn Rod. It was around that price and I have no complaints

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Enigma posted:

I fish them shallow, but I fish everything shallow.

For inexpensive spinning reels, I like the Okuma Avenger B line of reels. The drag is decent, but like most reels, you can get aftermarket pads cheap. The wind knot thing is more a factor of line management imho, but I have used thin braid on both a 500 and a 3000 sized one and they both didn't have too much trouble if I didn't overfill the spool.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Enigma posted:

Shallow, usually 8-12 ft. in and around cover. Here's a pic of my poo poo. I can't wait to get a shop built.

The tackle dungeon:

My wacky rig/senko box:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
How do you like those little Havoc stickbaits? I picked up a few bags for like nothing a few years ago but I never even got a single hit on one. I think I might have been using far far to heavy of a line for them though, I know they are super light so maybe that was killing the action? I feel like they should be killer stream baits but I could never get them to work.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I haven't used one yet. I'm gonna start with it Saturday and I'll report back.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I have a Shimano Sienna reel and Sojourn Rod. It was around that price and I have no complaints

bongwizzard posted:

I fish them shallow, but I fish everything shallow.

For inexpensive spinning reels, I like the Okuma Avenger B line of reels. The drag is decent, but like most reels, you can get aftermarket pads cheap. The wind knot thing is more a factor of line management imho, but I have used thin braid on both a 500 and a 3000 sized one and they both didn't have too much trouble if I didn't overfill the spool.

Thanks, I'll check out those suggestions.

Ordinarily I'd agree about it being an issue with line management, but I shouldn't be getting wind knots every 15 minutes using mono line. Never had anything like this with my other reels, and I've done a lot of fishing with braid and mono alike.

It's a really, really cheap reel, with such selling points as "randomly requires between 45 and 180 degree turn of the drag knob to adjust one click."

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Enigma posted:

Thanks, I'll check out those suggestions.

Ordinarily I'd agree about it being an issue with line management, but I shouldn't be getting wind knots every 15 minutes using mono line. Never had anything like this with my other reels, and I've done a lot of fishing with braid and mono alike.

It's a really, really cheap reel, with such selling points as "randomly requires between 45 and 180 degree turn of the drag knob to adjust one click."

I have never gotten a wind knot with my Shimano gear using braid. I take crazy precautions to prevent that however, because on my old gear it happened all the time. Three second drop on casting, straightening out the line with my free hand before reeling in, if it gets hung up on anything I generally wing it way the hell out there on the next cast to straighten it out and reel it in.

And if it feels sticky coming off the reel on a cast I'll unspool it til it comes clean off the line and then reel it back in using a 2 or 3 finger grip around the line in front of the first eyelet to give it light tension.

With the way mono curls after staying on a reel it just happens though. I got a wind knot on my friend's mono setup and it was the first time in a year.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 15, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
what do you do with those plastic worms? I've never seen anyone rig plastics like that in Australia, you give a lure like that to anyone here and they'd put a jighead in one end

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

what do you do with those plastic worms? I've never seen anyone rig plastics like that in Australia, you give a lure like that to anyone here and they'd put a jighead in one end

Senkos specifically were designed to be fixed weightless, either t-rigged on like a 3/0 ewg worm hook or on a small circle or octopus hook.

You guys to do a lot of still water fishing over there, or is it mostly stuff like rivers and ocean fishing?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

all of the above

I feel like a lot of fishing styles and techniques from overseas have been successfully adopted here but I'm yet to see worm plastics like those used. What sort of fish do they catch? Do you cast and retrieve them or set them under a float or something?

We went out after tuna again today. We saw a pod of three humpback whales and a heap of dolphins, some of which came close enough to the boat that we could have reached out and touched them. They had a ball riding the pressure wave created by the boat. We found one small bust up but couldn't hook anything and then some dickhead drove their boat right through the middle of it and that was the end of that. Then we ran out of fuel because the skipper is a loving idiot and had to get towed the last 5km back to the harbour. Only fish caught were some bottom species that we jigged up while waiting for a boat to come close enough to flag down and ask for a tow back

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

gay picnic defence posted:

all of the above

I feel like a lot of fishing styles and techniques from overseas have been successfully adopted here but I'm yet to see worm plastics like those used. What sort of fish do they catch? Do you cast and retrieve them or set them under a float or something?

Here's a pretty good intro to senko fishing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Senkos are most often finished with two presentations. You can Texas rig without a weight, then fish them with a series of slow drags and deadsticks. This is incredibly effective for bass but dull as a dirt imho. You can also rig them wacky r with like a small circle hook through the middle. In this presentation you cast it to cover or structure and let it sink on a semi slack line. Once it hits bottom, deadstick as long as you can stand then pop it up a few times and let it sink again. Some guys work it back to the boat/shore but most just speed it back in and cast again.

That's just senkos/stickbaits, every other worm has it's own group of presentations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Is there any actual science behind Senko colors? Everything I hear seems to be a load of BS. I "know" that Black with Blue Flake, and a two tone Watermelon/light color work, but then again last year I was catching stuff every day for a week straight with Natural Shad color so who knows.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
There is one pond I go to its flourescent pink and/or chartreuse.

Everywhere else watermelon with red fleck seems to work.

I know darker colors are more visible in deeper waters, and red/orange are better in shallow.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The general idea is "natural colors in clear water, high contrast (so blacks but also like a fluorescent green) in stained water." But like everything about fishing it's like half voodoo.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hamsystem posted:

Here's a pretty good intro to senko fishing.

looks like they'd be pretty effective on a bunch of species here in saltwater, i dunno if they'd work better than what we currently use on bass and cod in the freshwater though

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

First day of crabbing near Tacoma. Two traps soaked over night and only two small dungeness and this unlucky huge red rock crab.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

LingcodKilla posted:

First day of crabbing near Tacoma. Two traps soaked over night and only two small dungeness and this unlucky huge red rock crab.

Looks solid to me though I'm ignorant of that species, I imagine they are cleaned and taste about the same as any large crab?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah, very strong shells but they eat up fine when that big. Just caught two more so I'm having crab cakes tomorrow for sure.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah, very strong shells but they eat up fine when that big. Just caught two more so I'm having crab cakes tomorrow for sure.

Nice work! You going simple with tons of old Bay?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Eh. Generally just do a little Tapatio, soda crackers and eggs. Form patties, cook low and slow.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Weekend bass report: Fished 2 lakes Saturday, one early in the morning and the other late in the evening. First lake my brother landed one that was 5.3 on a baby bass wacky senko. I fished a white rage blade and a Berkley havoc worm all morning and didn't get a bite. Second lake I switched to one of these these in watermelon with red flake on a weightless Texas rig and a pumpkin chatterbait with a baby brush hog trailer. Ended up catching 4, 2 on each lure. I like the FinEke worms but they're incredibly soft and went through probably 10 as I kept getting the tails bitten off. First time fishing a chatterbait and really liked it. I didn't really start throwing it till it got dark but the 2 I caught with it were nearly back to back. I probably could've caught a bunch more but I got those as we were heading back to the boat launch so I really only got to fish it 15-20 minutes. Anyways, I'm a fan now.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I feel more than a little :downsrim: about it, but seriously, how do you re-spool one of those kid-style baitcasters with the enclosed housing and button on the back? I found one on a collapsible rod at a garage sale the other day for 2 bucks but the line was rotted to hell from UV/age/whatever, and I've never tried to spool line onto one before.. I assume there's some easy rule of thumb like "label toward you" is for spincasters but I've never tried to put line onto a kiddy reel before - but it collapses to 10 inches long and I would love to keep it in my junk bag!

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
This can explain it better than I can.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Just found this thread and I'm loving it. The OP about trout fishing was so true- half the fun of it is journeying to the place to try to catch the trout.

If this has been posted before, I'm sorry, but this is one of my favorite articles and one day (assuming I ever learn to fly fish) I'd like to give it a shot:

http://archive.myoutdoorbuddy.com/fishing_report.php?fishing=8547

I had my first experience on the Hat Creek last fall and needless to say, I'll be making multiple 4hr journeys from the Bay Area up north. I had an absolute blast and the ice cold water provided some of the finest eating rainbows I've ever had. Hell, even my 4 and 5 year old niece and nephew who don't much care for fish absolutely crushed it.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 28, 2017

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
Got skunked with senkos and caught my personal best largemouth on a quarter ounce white fuzz e grub on 6 pound mono with an ultralight rig. I just do not understand fishing it would seem.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
It's my understanding that once you think you understand, you no longer understand. :D

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TheKevman posted:

Just found this thread and I'm loving it. The OP about trout fishing was so true- half the fun of it is journeying to the place to try to catch the trout.

If this has been posted before, I'm sorry, but this is one of my favorite articles and one day (assuming I ever learn to fly fish) I'd like to give it a shot:

http://archive.myoutdoorbuddy.com/fishing_report.php?fishing=8547

I had my first experience on the Hat Creek last fall and needless to say, I'll be making multiple 4hr journeys from the Bay Area up north. I had an absolute blast and the ice cold water provided some of the finest eating rainbows I've ever had. Hell, even my 4 and 5 year old niece and nephew who don't much care for fish absolutely crushed it.

Oh man, I grew up camping at Hat Creek. Nice fat trout in that skillet!

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Oh man, I grew up camping at Hat Creek. Nice fat trout in that skillet!

Man, I've never eaten anything like it. I've taken Rainbows from Almanor, Shasta, a bunch of Bay Area lakes...this was by FAR the best eating.

I'm going up in a few weeks and hoping to catch a few nice ones like that one in the skillet and smoke them.

Hat Creek was awesome! So much fun! First time fishing in a creek like that and had an absolute blast.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Took a canoe trip last week down the Shenandoah in Virginia and caught more smallmouth than I ever had in my life. Nothing big (nine or ten inches), but I was using an ultralight set up so it was tons of fun. There was a stretch where the fish hit my spinner the second it touched the water. I did see one fat fellow longer than my forearm, but he ignored our offerings.

You don't get that big by being stupid.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Woodpile posted:

Took a canoe trip last week down the Shenandoah in Virginia and caught more smallmouth than I ever had in my life. Nothing big (nine or ten inches), but I was using an ultralight set up so it was tons of fun. There was a stretch where the fish hit my spinner the second it touched the water. I did see one fat fellow longer than my forearm, but he ignored our offerings.

You don't get that big by being stupid.

Throw bigger lures. Expending energy to eat one big meal is better than constantly chasing after small stuff.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Throw bigger lures. Expending energy to eat one big meal is better than constantly chasing after small stuff.

Now you're thinking like the fish!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Did really good today with rockfish and lingcods.
Got my limit of rockfish, a greenling and 4 lingcod.

The boat did good overall.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

I usually cram every conceivable doo-dad in a tackle box, but not this time. Just some light spinners and spoons. I am shamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

LingcodKilla posted:

Did really good today with rockfish and lingcods.
Got my limit of rockfish, a greenling and 4 lingcod.

The boat did good overall.

You sell these I imagine? Or just really like to stock a freezer or three? Nice work

Can anyone tell what reel this guy threw on his ugly stik rod? Curious if it's really rated higher than 12 pounds or if he just busted the one that comes in the combo, I really need to eventually get a big rig going for as cheap as possible, year #3 on a $40 ugly stik combo and so far nothings broke but the line, even that hasn't gone since I learned to not swing bullhead out of the water into my hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-rlYr7-KuQ