Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
if we have problems sshing into our switches at work, why is regenerating the ssh key on the switch a solution to that problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
do the switches expire the keys?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

do the switches expire the keys?
not as far as i can tell

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anthonypants posted:

if we have problems sshing into our switches at work, why is regenerating the ssh key on the switch a solution to that problem

is ssh itself getting disabled?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Captain Foo posted:

is ssh itself getting disabled?
not as far as i can tell

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's no real need to rotate SSH host keys if they're not compromised.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

There's no real need to rotate SSH host keys if they're not compromised.
i agree, but ssh wasn't working and then i regenerated the ssh key on the switch and now ssh is working again. reportedly this has worked for other switches and i'm not a networking guy so maybe it's a thing networking people know about or do routinely?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

have you tried sshing to the switches from a machine that's never sshed before and/or cleared the saved keys on your computer when the problem expresses
itself to rule out any client-side issues?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mishaq posted:

have you tried sshing to the switches from a machine that's never sshed before and/or cleared the saved keys on your computer when the problem expresses
itself to rule out any client-side issues?
yes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anthonypants posted:

i agree, but ssh wasn't working and then i regenerated the ssh key on the switch and now ssh is working again. reportedly this has worked for other switches and i'm not a networking guy so maybe it's a thing networking people know about or do routinely?

I have never rotated the key on a switch for the sake of doing it

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

that is not a normal problem for a switch. the switches are running crappy software and regenerating the ssh keys does other stuff that fixes the problem. are the switches still under support and on the newest firmware? then open a ticket with the manufacturer/reseller, and update to the newest software. if not either replace them or just regenerate the ssh keys whenever you have a problem

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
they are under support, they are definitely not on a recent firmware, it's just been this thing they've done at work and it resolves the problem. i tried to get around it on this one switch but ended up just regenerating the keys and it worked so idk. these are brocade icx switches if that makes a difference

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
i have some brocade icx devices and havent had to regen my keys. ssh didnt work on mine until i generated a key at all, so if it was working then stopped working something is up it seems like. see if you can update to a newer fw version?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I want to copy a bunch of stuff to a hard drive that I can connect to a raspberry pi which is serving as a file/plex server. my plan is to reformat the disk in a linux fs then copy everything over to it, but that presents some logistical challenges. copying over the network is slow as balls, but windows can't read linux fs without assistance.

do i:

-leave the disk as ntfs because lol who cares its 2017
-reformat as ext3 and use ext2fs to copy everything over (was hoping to use ext4 but apparently that is ~problematic~ with ext2fs)
-just hook it onto the pi, reformat and copy everything over the network, finish early 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I want to copy a bunch of stuff to a hard drive that I can connect to a raspberry pi which is serving as a file/plex server. my plan is to reformat the disk in a linux fs then copy everything over to it, but that presents some logistical challenges. copying over the network is slow as balls, but windows can't read linux fs without assistance.

do i:

-leave the disk as ntfs because lol who cares its 2017
-reformat as ext3 and use ext2fs to copy everything over (was hoping to use ext4 but apparently that is ~problematic~ with ext2fs)
-just hook it onto the pi, reformat and copy everything over the network, finish early 2018
can bash on windows 10 mount and read the disk?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

.zip and gunzip work very well together if you absolutely must go the network transfer route.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
I booted into a gparted live USB, formatted the one disk then mounted both and copied that way. Although bash on winders would be cool too and I keep forgetting it exists. can it work with linux filesstems?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
god windows is some lovely loving garbage

i pulled the harddrive out of my laptop and put it in my desktop, copied a bunch of poo poo off a spare hard drive to the laptop drive so I could reformat the spare, put the laptop drive back in the laptop. now everything I copied off the spare says it's corrupted and unreadable when I try to open it. you loving liar I was able to read it 5 min ago off another windows 10 computer you lovely rear end in a top hat gently caress. and I bet if I put it back in the desktop it works fine too. now I don't want to even run chkdsk in case windows goes oh tee hee this file was broken so I just deleted it

what a piece of poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I booted into a gparted live USB, formatted the one disk then mounted both and copied that way. Although bash on winders would be cool too and I keep forgetting it exists. can it work with linux filesstems?

no

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i have a single server failing chef-client runs with the exact same runlist that three other servers are working fine with, all on ubuntu 16.04

output from chef-client:

code:
[2017-06-22T11:55:33-04:00] INFO: Forking chef instance to converge...
Starting Chef Client, version 12.21.1
[2017-06-22T11:55:33-04:00] INFO: *** Chef 12.21.1 ***
[2017-06-22T11:55:33-04:00] INFO: Platform: x86_64-linux
[2017-06-22T11:55:33-04:00] INFO: Chef-client pid: 2054
[2017-06-22T11:55:33-04:00] INFO: The plugin path /etc/chef/ohai/plugins does not exist. Skipping...
[2017-06-22T11:55:39-04:00] INFO: Run List is [role[client]]
[2017-06-22T11:55:39-04:00] INFO: Run List expands to [chef-client::default, chef-client::delete_validation]
[2017-06-22T11:55:39-04:00] INFO: Starting Chef Run for ava-app02.int.xxxxxxx.com
[2017-06-22T11:55:39-04:00] INFO: Running start handlers
[2017-06-22T11:55:39-04:00] INFO: Start handlers complete.

Running handlers:
[2017-06-22T11:55:39-04:00] ERROR: Running exception handlers
Running handlers complete
[2017-06-22T11:55:39-04:00] ERROR: Exception handlers complete
Chef Client failed. 0 resources updated in 06 seconds
[2017-06-22T11:55:39-04:00] INFO: Sending resource update report (run-id: 4ad4b1d3-73c6-48b4-873f-50e5a2994e8d)
[2017-06-22T11:55:40-04:00] ERROR: undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass
[2017-06-22T11:55:40-04:00] FATAL: Chef::Exceptions::ChildConvergeError: Chef run process exited unsuccessfully (exit code 1)
stacktrace from the chef server:

code:
#<NoMethodError: undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass> had an error:
undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass

/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/data_collector/messages/helpers.rb:133:in `read_node_uuid'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/data_collector/messages/helpers.rb:111:in `node_uuid'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/data_collector/messages.rb:40:in `run_start_message'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/data_collector.rb:130:in `block in run_started'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/data_collector.rb:307:in `disable_reporter_on_error'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/data_collector.rb:128:in `run_started'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/event_dispatch/dispatcher.rb:43:in `call'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/event_dispatch/dispatcher.rb:43:in `block in call_subscribers'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/event_dispatch/dispatcher.rb:34:in `each'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/event_dispatch/dispatcher.rb:34:in `call_subscribers'
(eval):2:in `run_started'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/client.rb:432:in `run_started'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/client.rb:277:in `run'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/application.rb:295:in `block in fork_chef_client'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/application.rb:283:in `fork'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/application.rb:283:in `fork_chef_client'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/application.rb:248:in `block in run_chef_client'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/local_mode.rb:44:in `with_server_connectivity'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/application.rb:236:in `run_chef_client'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/application/client.rb:464:in `sleep_then_run_chef_client'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/application/client.rb:451:in `block in interval_run_chef_client'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/application/client.rb:450:in `loop'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/application/client.rb:450:in `interval_run_chef_client'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/application/client.rb:434:in `run_application'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/lib/chef/application.rb:59:in `run'
/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/chef-12.21.1/bin/chef-client:26:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/bin/chef-client:57:in `load'
/usr/bin/chef-client:57:in `<main>'
i've tried removing the server from chef-server and readding it and renewing the client key, but i don't know enough about chef yet to figure out what's going on :smith:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

I found the problem

burning swine
May 26, 2004

"undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass" is ruby's stupid-rear end way of phrasing "null pointer exception". Here's the method that killed your poo poo:

code:
        def read_node_uuid
          metadata["node_uuid"]
        end
your metadata hash is nil, and the obtuse error message is complaining that you cant use [] operators on nil. Something went wrong while bootstrapping that node, or the node wasn't bootstrapped at all and isn't configured. Do you have a standard bootstrapping procedure for the node that you could repeat?

e: you can edit those gem source files in place and do something like

code:
puts(metadata.inspect())
to try to discover more clues about what is different between the working and not-working nodes, but i expect you'll just see a nil metadata on the failing node.

burning swine fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 22, 2017

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

"undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass" is ruby's stupid-rear end way of phrasing "null pointer exception". Here's the method that killed your poo poo:

code:
        def read_node_uuid
          metadata["node_uuid"]
        end
your metadata hash is nil, and the obtuse error message is complaining that you cant use [] operators on nil. Something went wrong while bootstrapping that node, or the node wasn't bootstrapped at all and isn't configured. Do you have a standard bootstrapping procedure for the node that you could repeat?

e: you can edit those gem source files in place and do something like

code:
puts(metadata.inspect())
to try to discover more clues about what is different between the working and not-working nodes, but i expect you'll just see a nil metadata on the failing node.

typically my workflow is to clone a vm from a template using knife, then bootstrap automatically

this node *was* working fine, and to the best of my knowledge nothing about chef has changed, but i'll have to dig around and try and see if i did gently caress something up by accident

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

A Pinball Wizard posted:

god windows is some lovely loving garbage

:yeah:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

RISCy Business posted:

i have a single server failing chef-client runs with the exact same runlist that three other servers are working fine with, all on ubuntu 16.04

output from chef-client:
[...]

i've tried removing the server from chef-server and readding it and renewing the client key, but i don't know enough about chef yet to figure out what's going on :smith:

on the server:
- delete the node object (knife node delete ....)
- delete the client object (knife client delete ...)

on the client
- delete the chef-client package (yum remove chef)
- purge the old chef paths (rm -rf /etc/chef /opt/chef)

then try again

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

I found the problem

people still program in that poo poo? lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah its real hosed up lol. but at this point nobody is doing anything new in ruby. its all masochists using it and that's fine if that's what they're in to.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I got stuck doing chef stuff for like a year and I know more about it than I ever wanted to :smith:

The upside is all our deployed stacks have ruby and despite being horrible its still a better scripting language than bash

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ruby has a lot of lovely problems

so do python and perl

people who get snobby about ruby and then happily settle in for a python hacking session can eat poo poo and die

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also the chef server is mostly written in erlang. which is why it crashes constantly and configuring HA is an undocumented mess lol

(it's not really why but it's v. funny that they chose erlang and made the thing less robust in the process)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

followed the very proper erlang practice of automatically and constantly crashing servers to make sure that the service is resilient, but forgot to actually get the resilience in

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

followed the very proper erlang practice of automatically and constantly crashing servers to make sure that the service is resilient, but forgot to actually get the resilience in

loving Smooth

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
my niece got a chromebook and is having troubles installing a particular app

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/play/hbtxZ8c0U9E

i don't know what the app is but it's in the play store and won't let her dl it

looks like she's also logged into multiple accounts on it so i suggested she log out of everything and then figure out which one is the primary for that thing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

syscall girl posted:

looks like she's also logged into multiple accounts on it so i suggested she log out of everything and then figure out which one is the primary for that thing
is that link you posted related to the problem your niece is having or was that one of your rAnD0m nonsequiturs

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

is that link you posted related to the problem your niece is having or was that one of your rAnD0m nonsequiturs

it featured a search term that was extremely related to the problem

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

it featured a search term that was extremely related to the problem

not everyone's hosed up on substance d like you, a little bit more connectivity could be cool

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

not everyone's hosed up on substance d like you, a little bit more connectivity could be cool

is what it is but google seems to being actively hostile on this point

actually google is never active, my bad

a lot of the search terms for the specific error message end up looking like "how is babby formed" but that's cool

kid gets birthday present in the form of a chromebook (that was not me) and then it's marginally usable :tif:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

syscall girl posted:

Chromebooks don't support every Android app that runs on phones and tablets. Nothing you can do about it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Chromebooks don't support every Android app that runs on phones and tablets. Nothing you can do about it.

It was just confusing to me that the error message was so unhelpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

syscall girl posted:

It was just confusing to me that the error message was so unhelpful.
do you know what the error message was, or