Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Mak0rz posted:

Yes, actually! That explains it.
Fun fact: Those are not one-time events. You can go back and make the pilgrimage again and get the buff re-applied.

This is useful if, say, you want to levitate everywhere forever, but only have storebought Levitate potions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Which is especially useful for one temple quest much later.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vavrek posted:

Fun fact: Those are not one-time events. You can go back and make the pilgrimage again and get the buff re-applied.

This is useful if, say, you want to levitate everywhere forever, but only have storebought Levitate potions.

I swear I had to give another potion for that levitation shrine when I went back there... Does it still prompt you but just not take it out of your inventory?

Speaking of inventory, I just learned the hard way that containers have a weight limit! Boy this will be hard to get used to after coming from Fallout where you can store a hundred Power Armors in a briefcase if you want to.

Thankfully I learned through trial and error that if you stuff heavier things into a container first you can fit more things in it thanks to weight creep :sun:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

I swear I had to give another potion for that levitation shrine when I went back there... Does it still prompt you but just not take it out of your inventory?

Speaking of inventory, I just learned the hard way that containers have a weight limit! Boy this will be hard to get used to after coming from Fallout where you can store a hundred Power Armors in a briefcase if you want to.

Thankfully I learned through trial and error that if you stuff heavier things into a container first you can fit more things in it thanks to weight creep :sun:
I may be misremembering, but I believe most containers will reset their contents from time to time, putting you at risk of losing all your poo poo. The tried and true storage option is on the corpses of NPCs.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Just lol if you don't store everything on the corpse of the murdered dude in Balmora

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Woebin posted:

I may be misremembering, but I believe most containers will reset their contents from time to time, putting you at risk of losing all your poo poo. The tried and true storage option is on the corpses of NPCs.

I think this is only true for chests that spawn random items now and then? I've been using my Balmora Fighters and Mages Guild containers for a while now with no problems yet. The baskets back in Seyda Neen still have the drugs I stashed in them from weeks ago :shrug:

I thought corpses disappeared after a few days, though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
What are you doing not storing things on shelves and tables anyway? If you're not going to cart it around, and you're not going to show it off, what use is it?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Mak0rz posted:

I thought corpses disappeared after a few days, though.

Corpses that were already there from the start of the game are permanent. Like the murder victim in Balmora or the occasional dead adventurer you find in dungeons.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

...Huh, there are way more permanent corpses than I thought, but Ralen Hlaalo is one that a many folks find convenient.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What are you doing not storing things on shelves and tables anyway? If you're not going to cart it around, and you're not going to show it off, what use is it?

I want a place to put surplus potions and tools and poo poo is all :saddowns:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Mak0rz posted:

Oh, you totally have to give it another potion. When I said "make the pilgrimage", I should have said make the offering again. I'm just so used to making alchemical super-potions, where you've got something like 8000 points of Levitate for 6 literal hours that the Shrine to Stop the Moon's 100 pt. 24 minute buff is a really nice non-broken option, especially if you stock up on Bargain Rising Force potions in other towns. (The potion vendor in the High Fane only carries fancy, high-priced levitate potions, but the Shrine doesn't care.)

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I just drop everything on the ground like an animal. Even if I'm looting corpses. Especially if I'm looting corpses: The corpse will go away in 3 days, but the little pile of iron armor and weapons will stay there until the end of time, waiting for me to pick it up and vendor it. Or add it to my armory.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i store everything in the plaza of balmora like an obscenely rich bazaar hawker

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
shove it in ralen IMO

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I leave it scattered around Nerano Manor like the loving squatter lord of garbage that I am. I sleep in his house. I use his bed. I steal his platters. his son calls me dad

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stexils posted:

i store everything in the plaza of balmora like an obscenely rich bazaar hawker

This but on the walkway around the outside of the Ministry of Truth.

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007
Regarding openMW, does anybody else have fps issues inside cities? My laptop gets 30-60 indoors and less than 30 outdoors (still playable), but any city drops down to 0.5 -4 fps. When I first started openMW it was OK... Just asking.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I used to break into one of the locked houses near the Thieves Guild in Balmora, one whose owner wasn't home, pawn all his poo poo and move in. Gotta make space on the shelves for my book collection and Sunder looks just dandy on the bedside.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i take a poo poo on my ol paper map and wherever it lands, that's whgere i make my home

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

...Huh, there are way more permanent corpses than I thought, but Ralen Hlaalo is one that a many folks find convenient.

someone in this thread, i think, quipped "Ralen Hlaalo: in life, a dunmer. In death, a storage solution."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there a mod that chooses the best attack based on maximum damage value instead of the minimum?

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Condimentalist posted:

Regarding openMW, does anybody else have fps issues inside cities? My laptop gets 30-60 indoors and less than 30 outdoors (still playable), but any city drops down to 0.5 -4 fps. When I first started openMW it was OK... Just asking.

Make sure you're using your dedicated GPU (if you have one) and not your CPU graphic chip.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Alright 20 hours in and my game/controls/graphics settings reset to default. Thanks Morrowind!

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

If you just drop enough poo poo onto the ground in any interior, you will eventually get an overflow loot bag that can just hold everything

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Overflow_Loot_Bag

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grinning Goblin posted:

If you just drop enough poo poo onto the ground in any interior, you will eventually get an overflow loot bag that can just hold everything

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Overflow_Loot_Bag

poo poo, learn something new everyday. I only played on PC and was never that into decorating so it's not surprising that never came up for me, but still neat.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mak0rz posted:

Alright 20 hours in and my game/controls/graphics settings reset to default. Thanks Morrowind!

Okay I managed to get the graphics settings back in order thanks to MGE-XE but whenever I change my control and other game settings they don't stick. This is annoying.

I tried this solution once before and it worked for 20 hours but now it's just not doing anything.

Edit: Christ sakes the .ini file has entries for the class questionnaire responses and level up messages if you care for changing those but no goddamn controls. :psypop:

Edit 2: To fix it I have to run Morrowind as an administrator, but the strange thing is I don't have to reconfigure my controls. It's real weird. It's like the game suddenly has an "admin" settings profile and a "not admin" one. Neither of them have the settings set to default either. The "admin" one has things the way I want it, but the "not admin" config was made somewhere after swapping E and Space, but before moving the Sneak mode to C and turning the music down.

Normally I'd be okay just running the game in admin mode and be done with it but it kills the Steam overlay functioning, so that's not a good solution. What the hell even happened??

Edit 3: okay giving my specific Windows account full permissions to the folder seems to bring everything back to as it was before the all began with no consequence :pray:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 30, 2017

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You should never run games out of the Program Files folders.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

I'm using the Steam version in Windows 10 64-bit. Do I need to reinstall it in a different directory? Do I need the 4GB patch?

Mak0rz posted:

Can someone confirm this for me?

quote:

I'm using the Steam version in Windows 10 64-bit. Do I need to reinstall it in a different directory? Do I need the 4GB patch?
I don't want to go through the nonsense of changing my Steam library folder and whatnot.

Mak0rz posted:

Edit 3: okay giving my specific Windows account full permissions to the folder seems to bring everything back to as it was before the all began with no consequence :pray:

Agents are GO! posted:

You should never run games out of the Program Files folders.
At long last, you got an answer!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Well I mean I asked twice before playing and nobody responded so I just assumed it wasn't needed :v:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mak0rz posted:

Well I mean I asked twice before playing and nobody responded so I just assumed it wasn't needed :v:

FWIW I've always run out of Program Files and never had any issues.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

raminasi posted:

FWIW I've always run out of Program Files and never had any issues.

If you're using the local admin account you should be fine, but if your user account is a standard user account, you might have trouble if you're working from Program Files because those folders are typically write restricted for normal users.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

GreatGreen posted:

If you're using the local admin account you should be fine, but if your user account is a standard user account, you might have trouble if you're working from Program Files because those folders are typically write restricted for normal users.

My account is an admin account. Also recall that it worked for me without issue for the first 20 or so hours of gameplay :iiam:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Besides MGO, are there any other quality of life mods I should install?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Someone should tell Valve to not make Program Files the default install folder for Steam games, it's real dumb. Never install your games in Program Files.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

From the OP of the Skyrim modding thread (that I helped write):

quote:

Move your Skyrim (and possibly your whole Steam) installation out of the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folders. Even with UAC at its most permissive settings, Windows keeps those folders highly locked down, and it's really goddamn likely to gently caress up certain modding tools. Here is an official guide to moving your steam install. The only exception is if you're using an administrator account and you think you're a bad enough dude to override Windows' security settings and take ownership of stuff in Program Files. You're on your own there.
Remember, modding is basically forcing the game to do things it was never intended to do, and some modding tools use similar methods to computer viruses to do what they need to do.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Public Service Announcement: Don't use your computer's local admin account as your regular everyday user account.

The way most malware works, it only has as much rights to the system as the Windows account that activates it. If you're using the local admin account, one wrong move and malware has access to you entire computer.
If you just use a regular user account, your C:\Windows and C:\Program Files folders should stay pretty safe from the nasty stuff.

Use a standard user account for everyday stuff, know the local admin password for when you have to install things.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Hey guys, here's Tamriel Rebuilt's latest official Status Update.
September release is currently going according to plan, but we need feedback for the integration/compatibility nightmare stuff.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I upgraded and got a new machine, and I followed the TR install guide to the letter and couldn't get it to work.
Played vanilla for a few hours the other night and still had fun exploring.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Did you install Morrowind in your C:\Program Files\ directory or somewhere else?
If it's the latter, then you hosed up somewhere, sorry. Got some details?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Atrayonis posted:

Hey guys, here's Tamriel Rebuilt's latest official Status Update.
September release is currently going according to plan, but we need feedback for the integration/compatibility nightmare stuff.

Sounds like you've gotten some good organising done! I'll try to remember to send feedback when I'm not on my phone.

I joined up to do some voluntary work with an environmental NGO recently, but I'd probably enjoy working on TR more on my spare time. I'll see about time next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Atrayonis posted:

Did you install Morrowind in your C:\Program Files\ directory or somewhere else?
If it's the latter, then you hosed up somewhere, sorry. Got some details?

Wherever Steam places the files, so C\:Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\common\morrowind.