Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

:chiefsay: Why the gently caress isn't he cleaning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I sat through PO2 indoc and I would have rather been cleaning.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Internet VFW > Navy 2017: I would have rather been cleaning

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

mlmp08 posted:

On the other hand, I knew an O-3 who was separated early without severance for sleeping with one of his enlisted soldiers administratively as a sort of plea deal to let him avoid UCMJ charges.

Should have just charged him with beastiality and moved on. Because the enlisted are basically sled dogs, pulling the gentry class to greatness.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
If you've got time to lean, you've got time to gently caress poo poo up bad enough to get your CO fired.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Zeris posted:

It also depends on the current war's optempo. My old company commander (O3), doped up on ambien, lost accountability of his sidearm on the civilian aircraft taking us home to Ft. Campbell from Afghanistan. He got his second command, running the air assault school, downgraded to a regular staff job as a result.

I saw LTs with DUIs get their O-3 and command. They pinned me O-3 when I was 24 years old, with three years time in service. They were shoving everyone up the pyramid because we were testing the "two wars at once" doctrine and not doing well at it, and because everyone eligible to separate was doing so because the experiment wasn't going so well.

Man if only I had joined in 06 out of college while I was still drinking and a mess

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Story time! (E; Not a noble story)

We get back from underway on a Sunday morning. Monday morning I come in two hours late and a new chief makes me breathalize. Luckily I biked 14 miles to work every day, because I blew a 0.18. XO pulls me aside for 'disciplining' and asks why I was showing up to work drunk. (Note 2, I didn't wake up feeling drunk in the least, a separate issue) I explain how I went out for dinner and midway through eating my roommate (a bartender) tells me welcome back but that they're working a double shift and won't see me tonight. I decide to go stop in rather than turn in and her and the rest of the bartenders all treat me to a lot of free Jameson. I leave and fall asleep at midnight. I know this because she got out at midnight and took a picture of me asleep on the floor next to my bed at like 1210.

My XO says drat and then we get into a discussion about the merits of different whiskeys and the virtue of having friends in the service industry who give you free stuff. He asks if I'm ever going to do that on a work night again, I say no. They do a halfmast for me and give me the book but tell me the sentence is commuted until I fuckup something else alcohol related and tell me to inform engineering department to stop drinking so much.

11 months later we get an excellent on ORSE and a NUC (by all accounts knocked down from a PUC recommendation that made it to pacflt before getting killed for a specific yet also hilarious reason)

And that's how navy ownership work so well

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 29, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

.18 at 9 in the morning after stopping at midnight is loving impressive.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Lol he showed up two hour late because he actually rallied after the photo was taken, did a few handfuls of blow, and drank a half bottle of mouthwash before biking to work to avoid a third D.U.I

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah took me by surprise too. Later that week I found out that between me, my room mate, and her friend we polished off three bottles of Jameson by 11 (when I stopped drinking)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
But for anyone in the know getting an excellent on ORSE is the real impressive stunt. ~street cred~ We were like 50% alcoholics which may as well have been 50% of the success post deployment. Like I know there were real reasons but good luck getting a crew that fuckig amazing on a boat by sheer luck.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

You can get a PUC from a good orse?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
No. The ORSE was just the icing for eng dept

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Did Mr. nice get his old avatar back? I really do associate avatars as 'facial equivalents' at this point and it's mentally headache inducing to accept changes.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 29, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

M_Gargantua posted:

Did Mr. nice get his old avatar back? I really do associate avatars as 'facual equivalents' at this point and it's mentally headache inducing to accept changes.

So it's time for me to switch back to Archer then?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Aren't PUCs combat unit citations? The FLORIDA got a NUC for blowing up Libya.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 29, 2017

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Aren't PUCs combat unit citations? The FLORIDA got a NUC for blowing up Libya.

And secret submarine poo poo. The only ships to get them after Vietnam have been the parche and jimmy Carter.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
lmbo if your nuke department on a sub isn't all a bunch of drunks who come in still drunk to do startup

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

M_Gargantua posted:

Did Mr. nice get his old avatar back? I really do associate avatars as 'facial equivalents' at this point and it's mentally headache inducing to accept changes.

As far as i know i'm still rikered. It's inoffensive so i haven't cared to change it.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

M_Gargantua posted:

Story time! (E; Not a noble story)

We get back from underway on a Sunday morning. Monday morning I come in two hours late and a new chief makes me breathalize. Luckily I biked 14 miles to work every day, because I blew a 0.18. XO pulls me aside for 'disciplining' and asks why I was showing up to work drunk. (Note 2, I didn't wake up feeling drunk in the least, a separate issue) I explain how I went out for dinner and midway through eating my roommate (a bartender) tells me welcome back but that they're working a double shift and won't see me tonight. I decide to go stop in rather than turn in and her and the rest of the bartenders all treat me to a lot of free Jameson. I leave and fall asleep at midnight. I know this because she got out at midnight and took a picture of me asleep on the floor next to my bed at like 1210.

My XO says drat and then we get into a discussion about the merits of different whiskeys and the virtue of having friends in the service industry who give you free stuff. He asks if I'm ever going to do that on a work night again, I say no. They do a halfmast for me and give me the book but tell me the sentence is commuted until I fuckup something else alcohol related and tell me to inform engineering department to stop drinking so much.

11 months later we get an excellent on ORSE and a NUC (by all accounts knocked down from a PUC recommendation that made it to pacflt before getting killed for a specific yet also hilarious reason)

And that's how navy ownership work so well

Can you quit?

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

maffew buildings posted:

Man if only I had joined in 06 out of college while I was still drinking and a mess

Only registered members can see post attachments!

thepacketrat
Jun 29, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

Good thing they didn't have breathalyzers at Captain's call when my ship was pulling out of St. Thomas. Half the wardroom would have been toast.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Water777 posted:

Can you quit?

As a nuke you can always quit, though it would supposedly jeopardize your opportunities to go balls deep into the thriving industry that is civilian nuclear energy. They're building a new one in Georgia!!!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

thepacketrat posted:

Good thing they didn't have breathalyzers at Captain's call when my ship was pulling out of St. Thomas. Half the wardroom would have been toast.

We pulled out of Manta Ecuador still all so drunk that the Captain threw the nav brief out the window, asked anyone who stood duty last night to raise their hands then pointed "Deck, Conn, Helm, Throttle, Lookout, Navigation" then collapsed back in his chair and put his hat down low to keep the sun out.

All I heard from CIC via sound powered phones was retching into a trashcan.

That was a patrol with a Navy group and it sucked so bad because they had insane liberty restrictions that nobody told us about like no khaki shorts.

That was the same patrol where we asked for the battlegroup's coordinates, got them, steamed there, found nothing. Called back and they had given us North instead of South. So we crossed the equator like 4 times that night.

The highlight of that patrol though was one of the port calls where someone (the Commodore) decided to do a simulated attack on the Cruiser with small boats without telling the captain of the ship who very nearly weapons released on them.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

As a nuke you can always quit, though it would supposedly jeopardize your opportunities to go balls deep into the thriving industry that is civilian nuclear energy. They're building a new one in Georgia!!!

Let me expand on what I have seen to nukes who attempt to quit. It's not normal limdu where you do nothing but jerk off after mustering at 8AM for a few hours and then go home. They cut you special nuke orders(Non PCS, non-accompanied, seabag only) and you go work for a shipyard doing non-nuke stuff or "EZ Nuke" stuff under strict supervision(daycare level) for 8+ hour days with constant musters/inspections/lovely quality of life after work, until you break and go back to the boat, get denuked and become conventional or separate from the Navy.

If you are a submariner, they also take your dolphins.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It's going to be finished any decade now!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Null Integer posted:

Let me expand on what I have seen to nukes who attempt to quit. It's not normal limdu where you do nothing but jerk off after mustering at 8AM for a few hours and then go home. They cut you special nuke orders(Non PCS, non-accompanied, seabag only) and you go work for a shipyard doing non-nuke stuff or "EZ Nuke" stuff under strict supervision(daycare level) for 8+ hour days with constant musters/inspections/lovely quality of life after work, until you break and go back to the boat, get denuked and become conventional or separate from the Navy.

If you are a submariner, they also take your dolphins.

You can take the pin, you can take the annotation on the dd214, but you can't give back the 6-12 months of learning inane poo poo that qualifies you as Submarine Warfare qualified!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Let me tell you about our good friend the high pressure air system....

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

ded posted:

Let me tell you about our good friend the high pressure air system....

Hardmode: Put your dick on the chicken switches.... While underway...

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Happy 4th from the throbbing tip of the spear.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So I get a phone call asking me if I am intersted in some ADT orders. Ok sure. On a whim I go check out DTS to see how my rejected voucher is doing from last December. You know, the one where they refused to pay out my flight home from Norfolk and my stipend due to it not being submited by NOSC correctly because it straddled two fiscal years? The one were I've been in contact with people left and right trying to get cleared up?

Manually dropped and archived without so much as an email notifier.

WTF.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

So I get a phone call asking me if I am intersted in some ADT orders. Ok sure. On a whim I go check out DTS to see how my rejected voucher is doing from last December. You know, the one where they refused to pay out my flight home from Norfolk and my stipend due to it not being submited by NOSC correctly because it straddled two fiscal years? The one were I've been in contact with people left and right trying to get cleared up?

Manually dropped and archived without so much as an email notifier.

WTF.

DTS.txt

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Oh wow did admin gently caress something up.and not let you know? That's really strange and totally unexpected

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Oh wow did admin gently caress something up.and not let you know? That's really strange and totally unexpected

Best part is all three people who are a part of the email chain are out of town on vacay until next Monday.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Best part is all three people who are a part of the email chain are out of town on vacay until next Monday.

Use your recall card and call them. Assholes (try to) do it to me all the time

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Use your recall card and call them. Assholes (try to) do it to me all the time

Gonna wait until tomorrow and go into the NOSC. The loving annoying part is this is really NOSC Alamedas problem but I dont live in CA anymore.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The reserves are the literal worst.

But that healthcare and sidepay is not.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

Can't use reserve tricare if you work for the government.

Literally no reason to be in the reserves if you're a federal employee. lulz

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

True on both counts. As a teacher, I actually need the sidepay. Unfortunately, that also means that I was unwilling to spend an entire weekend's pay to travel for a "career enhancing" billet and I didn't get picked up for O5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

True on both counts. As a teacher, I actually need the sidepay. Unfortunately, that also means that I was unwilling to spend an entire weekend's pay to travel for a "career enhancing" billet and I didn't get picked up for O5.

Truth.

My entire gameplan:
- Be awesome, make O4 this year
- Don't gently caress anyone over, stay O4
- Retire