Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JuniperCake posted:

It's possible they just ran out of time. I believe there were a few boss battles that were definitely cut (the knight that kept guard over the white lady I think was one such fight)

Yeah from what George posted here, they were already way overscope and overbudget. Nosk was going to be cut but he begged to let him add it in and hopes to add some more moves to it at some point since it was a little lacking. I'm not surprised that there may be a lot of little things that were planned but just never made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016
Although it seems there were plenty of little things that were cut or not fully realized, the dreamers seem like they're designed around not putting up a fight themselves; that two of them are immediately preceded by other boss fights (and the third is at the rear end-end of the Deepnest) supports this notion.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

myDad posted:

e: Okay, Soul Tyrant is terrifying

Stick to the right side, close to the door. His ground charge won't hit you there and you can hit him as he comes to a stop or take advantage of it to heal, and the position there makes it easy to avoid his rotating orbs and hit him. The worst part is if he just decides to camp out on the far side of the arena spamming homing orbs but I found Soul Tyrant quite manageable compared to the other dream bosses. He's much less in-your-face and gives you plenty of opportunities to get your bearings back if you screw up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Soul Tyrant was the easiest one for me. I beat him on my second try, though a lot of that probably has to do with me getting killed by Soul Master roughly a dozen times before I finally beat him. I conquered his bullshit.

I'd say Lost Kin is probably the easiest though, assuming you equip defender's crest to negate the blobs.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

It's crazy that this game was created by such a small team.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

skasion posted:

This was certainly an interesting decision by the developers. I was a bit let down the first time I got to one. I wonder if that was always part of the design -- the game definitely spends a good bit of time building them up as these legendary godlike figures and then...you just beat their comatose asses to pulp and suck their unresisting souls out. :smith:

I'm pretty sure that's an intentional decision. I'm guessing that the idea was that the boss fights were on the way to the Dreamers (uumuu, watcher knights) but whatever boss fight was guarding Herrah was cut. The "sit and rest" scene definitely felt like setup for a spooder boss that never happened.

dishwasherlove posted:

It's crazy that this game was created by such a small team.

I do not understand how their sole artist survived the trial of hand-drawing this entire loving game.

To add more to the mind-blowing achievement of this game, the kickstarter only got ~44k USD.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 28, 2017

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

I do not understand how their sole artist survived the trial of hand-drawing this entire loving game.

To add more to the mind-blowing achievement of this game, the kickstarter only got ~44k USD.

It is an utterly amazing game, and even more so given the size of the team.

Only one artist does explain how incredibly consistent everything is, but, yeah, 140+ animated enemies, all the backgrounds, the cutscene bits... that's an enormous pile of art.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The (true) end boss gave me a bit more trouble than I expected and it took about an hour and a half to beat him. Mostly I had to watch some youtubes to learn that my strategies for avoiding some of the attacks could be better. I do think they should have checkpointed after the first phase, since it's stupidly easy and redoing that every single time is a mindless chore. Health resets afterward anyway, so why not add a checkpoint too?

Overall, it's still easily the best recent Metroidvania. But I think it needs an easier, casual mode and a few more fast-travel options (the latter of which they're doing in the next free content update, I realize). I took 35h for a first-time playthrough, which is exceedingly long for this genre, and I don't think I was *that* slow? More endgame fast-travel options (like a scarab station next to one of the bottom train stations please) would shave off a couple tedium hours, but mostly I think there was just a little too much of a good thing. It's still amazing though; they really nailed the atmosphere of a game like this. I'd very much look forward to another Metroidvania by them, should they choose to make one.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

don't listen to that guy

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
What happened to the bank?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

myDad posted:

What happened to the bank?

HEH.

Cash Scam

Dancer
May 23, 2011
What bank? There's no bank in this game.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Found her... awkward

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
So I exercised Harrah The Beast and found a bunch of dead ends where I clearly need a way to go through liquid, a longer dash, double-jump, and a way to get by the black beam. I've got the wall jump, dash, and ground pound but I've no idea where to go next. Any suggestions for an area to explore?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

myDad posted:

So I exercised Harrah The Beast and found a bunch of dead ends where I clearly need a way to go through liquid, a longer dash, double-jump, and a way to get by the black beam. I've got the wall jump, dash, and ground pound but I've no idea where to go next. Any suggestions for an area to explore?

Have you got the lantern? If so there's an area you can go to from Forgotten Crossroads that will get you the super dash.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

skasion posted:

Have you got the lantern? If so there's an area you can go to from Forgotten Crossroads that will get you the super dash.

Crystal Peak? I'll go explore it, thanks!

e: lol awesome!

myDad fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 29, 2017

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
My key complaint with the game so far, beyond just hitting a dead end by virtue of an upgrade and having to kind of memorize what I might need to get past it hours later, is this fukken dark souls bullshit re:deaths

god drat

Losing nine hundred sparkly rocks in the early game because I started to get frustrated only leads to further frustration

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gamerofthegame posted:

My key complaint with the game so far, beyond just hitting a dead end by virtue of an upgrade and having to kind of memorize what I might need to get past it hours later, is this fukken dark souls bullshit re:deaths

god drat

Losing nine hundred sparkly rocks in the early game because I started to get frustrated only leads to further frustration

the game gives you far more geo than you need for this exact reason

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If you're on only one health left and you're scared you can always just pause and quit to menu to reset at your last bench with all your geo intact.

Outside of bosses and colosseums and platforming challenges there's very little possibility of dying in the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Quitting to the menu feels like an exploit but gently caress climbing out of the Abyss the intended way.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Quitting to the menu feels like an exploit but gently caress climbing out of the Abyss the intended way.

Yeah with the amount of time it saves you, I don't think there is a real reason to not do the quit thing to return to the last bench. I think once they add more quick travel options it shouldn't be as necessary but for now it seriously lessens the amount of back tracking you'll have to do.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

bewilderment posted:

If you're on only one health left and you're scared you can always just pause and quit to menu to reset at your last bench with all your geo intact.

Outside of bosses and colosseums and platforming challenges there's very little possibility of dying in the game.

I got murderized by a ravenous thing in the waterways, I got complacent when I cut him down two times, then his butt rises too and chased me up a wall. I didn't even move

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Just in case anyone was curious, they're going to be running Hollow Knight at SGDQ on July 4th around 9AM EST. Will be an any % run.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ambivalent posted:

Just in case anyone was curious, they're going to be running Hollow Knight at SGDQ on July 4th around 9AM EST. Will be an any % run.

Will they be doing version 1 with the thorn charm glitch? I kinda stopped paying attention to that scene after I sped through the steel soul 100% run.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pigbuster posted:

Will they be doing version 1 with the thorn charm glitch? I kinda stopped paying attention to that scene after I sped through the steel soul 100% run.

I thought it was gonna be any% glitchless

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Highwang posted:

HEH.

Cash Scam

:shepface: ...what. I put as much money as I could in it and never returned because as it turned out, keeping your money wasn't as hard as I thought(or as required). This sounds hilarilious. If/when I play through the game again I will pay better attention to that place.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Mindblast posted:

:shepface: ...what. I put as much money as I could in it and never returned because as it turned out, keeping your money wasn't as hard as I thought(or as required). This sounds hilarilious. If/when I play through the game again I will pay better attention to that place.

I plonked as much cash as i could after unloading all my artifacts to the vendor guy. This was before the endless medium game cash floow. Unfortunately I managed to find the charm lady ten minutes after the fact. This must be the perfect combo they were aiming for.

Still, when the little post sign fell off I burst out laughing.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Tafferling posted:

I plonked as much cash as i could after unloading all my artifacts to the vendor guy. This was before the endless medium game cash floow. Unfortunately I managed to find the charm lady ten minutes after the fact. This must be the perfect combo they were aiming for.

Still, when the little post sign fell off I burst out laughing.

Even better is you meet up with her at a secret hot spring

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The sign falling is such a perfect moment

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Knorth posted:

The sign falling is such a perfect moment

It absolutely was

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Man. The Lost Kin fight really empathizes problems with the game's controls and how it moves. If they do a sequel of some sort I hope they dump it all and start from scratch; the good half second post-focusing before you can actually do any inputs, the rather large corner blindspots for your attacks and how murky changing your direction midair is for attacking makes that fight a pain just because of the blobs. The actual boss? Exactly the same, maybe double health.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lost Kin is probably the easiest dream boss. Just shroom up and you don't need to worry about the gasbags at all.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

the good half second post-focusing before you can actually do any inputs

I'm sure that's intentional. Healing is supposed to put you at great risk, so there is a significant delay before and after. So if you get too greedy and try to get that one extra tick then you'll get punished for it. It's not easy to find windows in many fights in which you can safely heal in and I think the game is better for it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

skasion posted:

Lost Kin is probably the easiest dream boss. Just shroom up and you don't need to worry about the gasbags at all.

or do it legit because it's an extremely fun boss

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gamerofthegame posted:

Man. The Lost Kin fight really empathizes problems with the game's controls and how it moves. If they do a sequel of some sort I hope they dump it all and start from scratch; the good half second post-focusing before you can actually do any inputs, the rather large corner blindspots for your attacks and how murky changing your direction midair is for attacking makes that fight a pain just because of the blobs. The actual boss? Exactly the same, maybe double health.

The games movement and controls are both great and smooth and the Lost Kin is a super fun boss fights. :shrug:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I just used whatever +blue hp charm I had on my and went ham on him. Works just as well!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if the game controls aren't super-responsive it's probably because you've got frame rate problems and you should try and fix those

either that or maybe the game's not the one that's unresponsive.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Me going through the game: "This game's platforming feels great and it has a ton of fun movement options, I hope they didn't wuss out on putting in serious platforming challenges that really test all of your abilities"

Me getting to the white palace: "Thank god"

I didn't use the hive charm or whatever, I just went through it with what I had equipped going in and never even died (though I was down to one health at the end of one of the segments, which was intense as gently caress). You have so many abilities to control yourself in the air that I always felt like I had a lot of options in approaching each obstacle, and a ton of control over every situation, which made it feel easier than even the earlier levels of Super Meat Boy. No idea how someone could feel that the controls aren't tight enough unless they're having technical issues; I never had a situation where I felt like I took damage because the controls screwed me rather than because of my own mistake.

It's fair to take issue with it though, since not everyone was looking for that kind of platforming challenge, and it was a bit of a, uh, aesthetic shift.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

If you try to heal during most of the bosses in this game (except the small stun windows) you are going to have a bad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

If you try to heal during most of the bosses in this game (except the small stun windows) you are going to have a bad time.

Quick Focus is costly for a reason.