Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Papes posted:

After reading the scoring setup for the Scott fish bowl this year, I'm very intrigued by a points per first down league that doesn't completely overvalue running backs.

It does sound awesome. We should do a cheap ($10?) goon run version of the SFB this year. Maybe best ball? In-season management could be cool too.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I am definitely pushing my reasonable number of leagues, but I'd be down for a Goon Fish Bowl

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Veritek83 posted:

I am definitely pushing my reasonable number of leagues, but I'd be down for a Goon Fish Bowl

Same

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
How are playoff spots determined in Scott Fish bowl?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
http://scottfishbowl.com/2017/rules-playoffs.php

the sheer scale of it all means there aren't any head to head matchups

Scott Fish Bowl posted:

The SFB Main Event Playoff Tournament!!!

If you haven't played before, you are probably confused on how this 720 team thing works!!!
Each Conference has 60 teams. 30 will make the playoffs.
The team with the best record, THEN the team with the most points in each division will receive a bye (10 teams).
After that there will be 20 wild card teams that play week 13. These teams will be the top 10 records in the conference regardless of division THEN the top 10 point scoring teams in the conference regardless of division.
Playoffs will run during NFL weeks 13-16.
Weeks 13,14, and 15 are conference play.
Week 16 is the final between teams from all 12 conferences.

While a massive SA Bowl with multiple divisions would be cool, I'm more interested in a 10-14 team league with SFB rosters & scoring.

Scott Fish Bowl posted:

Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 4 Flex (can flex 1 QB) - (11 Total)
Bench: 11 players
Waivers: $100 Blind Bidding

Scoring
Scoring is fractional (meaning 4 yards rushing = .4 points, 1 yard passing = .04 points, etc)

Passing:
6 point passing TD,
1 point for 25 yards passing (.04/per),
1 point per 2 point conversions

Rushing:
5 point rushing TD (first down is another pt)
1 point for 10 yards rushing (.1/per),
2 points for 2 point conversions
1 points per 1st down

Receiving:
5 point receiving TD (first down is another pt)
1 point for 10 yards receiving (.1/per),
2 points for 2 point conversions,
1 points per 1st down
TE: Extra 1.5 point per first down

Returns:
6 point for any return TD
6 points if your player recovers a ball in the endzone for a TD

Seems like this makes for some really interesting positional balance.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks. So its like head to head in the playoffs, except there are multiple teams facing each other . So head to head to head to head to head...

That doesn't sound nearly as large as some of the events I've run, let me examine logistics and see if it's feasible for me to do

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 28, 2017

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Veritek83 posted:

http://scottfishbowl.com/2017/rules-playoffs.php

the sheer scale of it all means there aren't any head to head matchups

While a massive SA Bowl with multiple divisions would be cool, I'm more interested in a 10-14 team league with SFB rosters & scoring.

Seems like this makes for some really interesting positional balance.

I think the positional balance is pretty skewed, and Scott himself admitted this. Next year he will re-introduce ppr and ppc in some capacity which imo could help normalize the positions.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Someone explain how scott fish bowl has 720 teams, there's not enough NFL players so I assume a player can be owned by more than one team? For some reason this aspect is not covered on the site at all.

e. Is it that each "division" of 12 teams shares one pool of the NFL players?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 28, 2017

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Someone explain how scott fish bowl has 720 teams, there's not enough NFL players so I assume a player can be owned by more than one team? For some reason this aspect is not covered on the site at all.

e. Is it that each "division" of 12 teams shares one pool of the NFL players?

yes, you got it. It's divided into conferences and divisions, where each division is kind of like its own league until the playoffs

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
drat, I nailed a lot of these
http://sportsfascination.com/1978/02/08/15-fantasy-predictions-everyone-making-totally-wrong-single-page/

Makes it super ironic that two weeks later I lost this column

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Why is the article dated Feb. 1978?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Why is the article dated Feb. 1978?

I'm that good.

Yeah, that's weird, it's obviously from early september, 2016.
I can only guess that I... why did I do that? I know I had a reason, and it had to do with the position of the article on the blog. Like I either did or didn't need it to be top feature, so changing the date caused wordpress to move it up or down on the page.

Maybe that's why I got let go.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 28, 2017

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Okay, I've checked it all out.

:siren:I will set up a Scott Fish Bowl for everyone on SA:siren:

I have tons of event planning experience, nearly two decades of fantasy football commisioneering, and I'm good at recruiting a large number of people to do something. Plus I just like learning and executing the logistics of large events (my two favorite hobbies are event planning and fantasy football).

However, before I can make a thread and really kick this thing off, the league needs a name. Something catchy and marketable. It would be great if it wasn't SA-inside-joke specific, because I will want to recruit some of the pundits I know, but that's not a hard rule if someone has a great idea. If it helps, we're going to probably mirror the scoring settings and playoff settings of this year's SF bowl, although I'm shooting for 60 people not 600

So... what should we call this extremely large league?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 28, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I;m thinking about thos teams

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

I;m thinking about thos teams

Ths got a laugh out of me

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Plenty of Fish In The RBBC

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
What are some sites that offer slow draft? I know mfl does it, I just want to compare prices

Edit: Oh, wait I see the real SFB uses MFL, so we'll just go with that to KISS

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 28, 2017

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Mike Gillislee

That is all.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

89 posted:

Mike Gillislee

That is all.

he good

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I always get too caught up in other people's words and opinions in fantasy football and lose.

This year, 89 is drafting from the gut :colbert:

Mike Gillislee, Frank Gore, Golden Tate, Samaje Perine, Alshon Jeffrey, Danny Woodhead, Jamison Crowder, Marcus Mariota.

Off the top of my head, you want those guys.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

89 posted:

I always get too caught up in other people's words and opinions in fantasy football and lose.

This year, 89 is drafting from the gut :colbert:

Mike Gillislee, Frank Gore, Golden Tate, Samaje Perine, Alshon Jeffrey, Danny Woodhead, Jamison Crowder, Marcus Mariota.

Off the top of my head, you want those guys.

If you're gut drafting you need Eddie Lacy.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Silly Burrito posted:

If you're gut drafting you need Eddie Lacy.

I dated a girl once. She was a Packers fan.

DEATH to the Packers. I don't care he's a Seahawk now

When that happened, I totally "fire sold" Eddie Lacy & Aaron Rodgers in a goon league for Gronk & Tom Brady. I was autodrafted them while I was out swimming with her and broke my phone in the water. My priorities were off.l

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Jamison Crowder and Marcus Mariota: they are good

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
I'm honestly not sure how to project volume in the Pats backfield (as usual). It was hard enough when it was just Ridley/Vereen etc, but both White and Lewis can catch, both Rex and Gilly can pound at the goal line, and all three of Gilly, Lewis, and Rex can run.

Like, I believe in Gilly's talent, and there's a scenario here where he takes the Blount role and then some, but there's also a scenario where this becomes the RBBC from hell.

For fantasy, anyways. Gonna be fun as hell to watch as a fan.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

So... what should we call this extremely large league?

Something's Fishy Bowl

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Forever_Peace posted:

I'm honestly not sure how to project volume in the Pats backfield (as usual). It was hard enough when it was just Ridley/Vereen etc, but both White and Lewis can catch, both Rex and Gilly can pound at the goal line, and all three of Gilly, Lewis, and Rex can run.

Like, I believe in Gilly's talent, and there's a scenario here where he takes the Blount role and then some, but there's also a scenario where this becomes the RBBC from hell.

For fantasy, anyways. Gonna be fun as hell to watch as a fan.

The beauty is that you don't have to burn a high pick to find out :thumbsup:

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

89 posted:

The beauty is that you don't have to burn a high pick to find out :thumbsup:

Yeah 6th/7th in ppr definitely seems reasonable.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

Something's Fishy Bowl

Smells Like 89's Girlfriend

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
EX

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
And just saying...I know this is from reddit, but add Eric Decker to that list.

- Marcus Mariota had 18 TDs and zero INTs inside the 20 yard line in 2016.
- Eric Decker career in the redzone - 61/114 (53.5%) w/ 40 TDs

:fap:

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I'll never not draft Decker near his ADP.

Dude's legit one of most consistent and best WR2's the last 5 years when not hurt.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Almost done hammering out these guidelines for the Goon Fish Bowl, and I have a question:
The 2017 SFB scoring settings say "extra 1.5 points per first down for tight ends." Does this mean tight ends get 2.5 point bonus for a first down (the standard 1 point bonus plus an extra 1.5 points)? Or is just the standard point bonus every RB/WR gets for a first down, plus an extra 0.5?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

Almost done hammering out these guidelines for the Goon Fish Bowl, and I have a question:
The 2017 SFB scoring settings say "extra 1.5 points per first down for tight ends." Does this mean tight ends get 2.5 point bonus for a first down (the standard 1 point bonus plus an extra 1.5 points)? Or is just the standard point bonus every RB/WR gets for a first down, plus an extra 0.5?

2.5 total

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Melvin Gordon: :siren: NOT GOOD :siren:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Melvin Gordon: :siren: NOT GOOD :siren:

Wrong. Edit: Melvin Gordon will be better at running the ball, even if his touchdown rate goes down, and I will die on this hill. Top... 6 RB if he stays healthy 14+ games.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 29, 2017

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Papes posted:

2.5 total

Thanks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Papes posted:

2.5 total

So, draft gronk at 1.1 even though it's a 2qb league? Is that the intent?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

So, draft gronk at 1.1 even though it's a 2qb league? Is that the intent?

I don't think so. Kelce led tight ends with 55 first downs last year for 137.5 bonus points, whereas the top 15ish rbs had about 60-70 rushing first downs plus whatever receiving ones they picked up (dj led running backs with 42!). I don't think 60 or so extra bonus points is enough to offset the yards and tds that the top running backs can give you.

So unless you think Gronk is about to have a 20 td year I don't think he is a worthy 1.1 candidate.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Also, Melvin Gordon seriously has ZERO competition behind him to take his snaps. Rivers will get him back into those 5 yard redzone situations.

Todd Gurley is a tricky one. Surely he'll bounce back this year under a new scheme.

Buuuut, don't think I'm gonna fall on that grenade to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

89 posted:

Also, Melvin Gordon seriously has ZERO competition behind him to take his snaps. Rivers will get him back into those 5 yard redzone situations.

Todd Gurley is a tricky one. Surely he'll bounce back this year under a new scheme.

Buuuut, don't think I'm gonna fall on that grenade to find out.

The only place I'm going to have Gurley is the two deep keeper leagues where I already have him. Would not draft.

• Locked thread