Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

KildarX posted:

Why does Atlanta get hit like eight or nine times. Seems a little disproportionate. We have an ARB and Heartsfield Jackson, I think four would be enough.

Also why does Cheyenne take like 40 nukes or something, is NORAD really that big?

You also have the CDC and Atlanta is a major federal interstate highway hub.

Sherman's ghost also drew up that nuke plan wrt Atlanta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The closest thing we have to an official guess at the Russian SIOP on the unclassified side is Nuclear Attack Planning Base - 90 by FEMA. It spells out its assumptions in pretty good detail, so the question of "how accurate is this map of my state getting irradiated?" depends entirely on how much you buy their assumptions.

Most "nuke maps" on survivalist/sperglord sites are based wholly or in part on NAPB-90.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 29, 2017

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tastefully arranged labia posted:

What the gently caress did I just read

Seriously what the gently caress did I just read

I got you fam.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Capn Beeb posted:

Re: Nuke chat, I wonder how accurate this map is these days:

My podunk county in southern Virginia has got two targets in a 2k warhead scenario west and east for some reason, gently caress living in an east coast Fallout :colbert:

The most confusing part of this to me is why the gently caress would Muleshoe, TX ever be deserving of a bomb of it's own?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Flikken posted:

Yuengling is eastern PA.

And it's a lager

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Shaddak posted:

And it's a lager

They do have a decent porter.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
maybe a nuclear exchange will finally end this loving IPA craze

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

maybe a nuclear exchange will finally end this loving IPA craze

Insh'allah

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Flikken posted:

They do have a decent porter.

drat, guess my grocery stores suck, then. Never seen that before.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah it's not bad. They also have a decent black and tan.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Nuke guess maps are going to wind up being as accurate as our election guess maps

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mr. Nice! posted:

The most confusing part of this to me is why the gently caress would Muleshoe, TX ever be deserving of a bomb of it's own?

They know what they did. :colbert:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

M_Gargantua posted:

Nuke guess maps are going to wind up being as accurate as our election guess maps

America being knocked down several pegs, copy

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Dead Reckoning posted:

The closest thing we have to an official guess at the Russian SIOP on the unclassified side is Nuclear Attack Planning Base - 90 by FEMA. It spells out its assumptions in pretty good detail, so the question of "how accurate is this map of my state getting irradiated?" depends entirely on how much you buy their assumptions.

Most "nuke maps" on survivalist/sperglord sites are based wholly or in part on NAPB-90.

Why are they nuking Two Harbors, MN?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

This is missing at least 2 targets.

One I won't mention because of possible Opsec, and Kennedy Space Center.

Houston Tx and Huntsville AL should probably be targets too.

orange juche posted:

You also have the CDC and Atlanta is a major federal interstate highway hub.

Sherman's ghost also drew up that nuke plan wrt Atlanta.

And Atlanta Airport which a retarded amount of flights run through. Its arguably the busiest air port in the world.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

When the US had missile silos scattered everywhere, how many military personel were there at each one? Was it just 20 dudes stick in the middle of nowhere? What did they have for security?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Haha permaban and 100k hours

:rip:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Genocide Tendency posted:

This is missing at least 2 targets.

One I won't mention because of possible Opsec, and Kennedy Space Center.

Houston Tx and Huntsville AL should probably be targets too.

I mean poo poo, they're also missing almost all of the major military bases as well.

There's no way places like Benning, Everett, San Diego, etc. get missed.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

redneck nazgul posted:

*URL edited out*

Good read.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

He's dead jim

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

so I had been wondering if redneck nazgul was a parachute of swamp donkey but it doesn't matter because they're both banned

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nazgul's been around longer than since swamp donkey's ban.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Make GiP non-creepy again!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Was that the Miami story I scanned through and thought was weird and forget about until now?

NSA WIZARD
Jan 20, 2016

Reverand maynard posted:

When the US had missile silos scattered everywhere, how many military personel were there at each one? Was it just 20 dudes stick in the middle of nowhere? What did they have for security?

I TOO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THIS INFORMATION

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
like I dunno, 3 or 4 per watch, 2-4 watches, maybe some guy cleaning, I'd say 50-200 maybe even as low as 20

probably a fence too

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Linking this just for the headline.

Top Senate Republican Mitch McConnell warns of possible bipartisanship on health care

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Was expecting the Onion.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

They're gonna ask to pass the senate for removing/adding something dumb and get it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I was really curious about Muleshoe so I searched around and found nothing so I'm guessing the Soviets were really pissed at some cattle ranchers.

I found this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTu6mQeTr3I&t=340s

Praise the atom :worship:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Third World Reggin posted:

like I dunno, 3 or 4 per watch, 2-4 watches, maybe some guy cleaning, I'd say 50-200 maybe even as low as 20

probably a fence too

werent they sleeping with the door open though

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

NSA WIZARD posted:

I TOO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THIS INFORMATION

Just watch Ancient Aliens and let Giorgio tell you all about it. There's an episode where some putz claims to have worked at a silo in buttfuck Montana when aliens flew overhead and "disabled the nuke" during a routine systems test.

I don't know which episode, you'll just have to watch them all, but he described the location and security in believable terms for 30-40 years ago.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

According to this map Naval Base Kitsap has apparently been relocated to Wenatchee or Ellensberg. :shrug: But yeah, I'm pretty sure Bangor sub base and NBK et al is probably on somebody's short list and we're getting a tan either way via a new, western sun or the volcano below us.

Maybe both!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Reverand maynard posted:

I'm just gonna cut to the chase and suggest you read Command and Control an excellent/horrifying book on the US nuclear program during the cold war.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I was really curious about Muleshoe so I searched around and found nothing so I'm guessing the Soviets were really pissed at some cattle ranchers.

I found this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTu6mQeTr3I&t=340s

Praise the atom :worship:

Yeah it's on of the biggest head scratchers on the map to me. Monahans is another odd one, but at least it's along a major interstate. Muleshoe is a tiny rear end west texas town with nothing going on.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Muleshoe is a tiny rear end west texas town with nothing going on.

What's more believable, the Russians pasting some piece of god forsaken land in a godforsaken state or the US government has their redacted redacted in the area?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Mr. Nice! posted:

And whatever the gently caress is west of Holbrook, Az.

The only things in Az getting nuked north of Phoenix are Page (Glen Canyon dam, I'm assuming), and something a little west of Holbrook. There's absolutely loving nothing there.

Also, I didn't know squat about the VLF Lualualei transmitter. I had no idea you could transmit to submerged submarines, let alone from incredibly far away.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Possible decommissioned communications relays from 30-40 years ago?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

KildarX posted:

What's more believable, the Russians pasting some piece of god forsaken land in a godforsaken state or the US government has their redacted redacted in the area?

Well the first idea involves someone, anyone, not from Texas giving the slightest possible gently caress about Texas. I'm kinda half and half on that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Duzzy Funlop posted:

And whatever the gently caress is west of Holbrook, Az.

The only things in Az getting nuked north of Phoenix are Page (Glen Canyon dam, I'm assuming), and something a little west of Holbrook. There's absolutely loving nothing there.

Also, I didn't know squat about the VLF Lualualei transmitter. I had no idea you could transmit to submerged submarines, let alone from incredibly far away.

You can, but not a lot, and the sub can't reply back. IIRC from my Tom Clancy reading days, most of the time a VLF message will basically consist of "Get to antennae depth so that we can actually give you orders", since it's impractical to transmit a message with any real detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
that fiction thing was a story where aliens come to earth and disperse a toxin that makes men want to murder women instead of gently caress them

from what i can tell, the author wanted to impart the ~pathos~ of a dude murdering his daughter but couldn't figure out how to make that work except by making him want to gently caress her, too

• Locked thread