Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

MacheteZombie posted:

From what I've gathered, Marvel wasn't happy with some of Wright's choices, Scott was more of a sleazeball than lovable goof and a few other details. They had the script re-written and Marvel's story is they added more of Hope into the movie, created Pena's character and let Rudd be more of the lovable Rudd everyone knows. Wright felt their changes made it way less of a Wright movie and walked as a result.

I wish I could see his original script.

Kind of. The Marvel drafts were the same movie but with more jokes and more MCU stuff. The rewrites you mention came from Adam McKay and Paul Rudd and it was after Wright had left.

Wright has been pretty diplomatic about it and said that they hired him to make an Edgar Wright film, but then when it came closer they wanted him to make a Marvel film. He did some rewrites but then when they took the script away he felt like he was being a director for hire and didn't see the point.

I think part of the problem was that when Wright was hired, Marvel had this idea to release smaller movies that weren't tentpole pictures but used lesser known characters. Obviously as that juggernaut went on they changed their mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I enjoy the Marvel snark by and large. It's pretty much what I'm signed up for. It's not like they're ever fighting anything out of their league like it's Dragon Ball Z. No one's ever been maimed so far. The closest they've got is Tony's heart stopping for a couple minutes. And he's been shrugging that off for two movies already.

I do agree that the combat could be better, but really, all movies could use more Donnie Yen/ Jackie Chan.

Eh, to me the best Marvel films are the ones where there's a real sense of character throughout. Like the big problem with Whedon for me is that he doesn't write characters, he just writes quip delivery devices; I can't recall any of his MCU stuff where a particular action or choice struck me as "Yes, this is something that only that character would do." Early MCU was extremely good at this; the later ones are just stuffed with so many required scenes and references that the story doesn't have room to be anything but a logistics puzzle with the barest suggestion of characters. Even the action scenes, while entertaining, seem focused more on "what clever stuff can I write with this superpower?" than "what would this person, given this superpower, do with it?"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Kind of. The Marvel drafts were the same movie but with more jokes and more MCU stuff. The rewrites you mention came from Adam McKay and Paul Rudd and it was after Wright had left.

Wright has been pretty diplomatic about it and said that they hired him to make an Edgar Wright film, but then when it came closer they wanted him to make a Marvel film. He did some rewrites but then when they took the script away he felt like he was being a director for hire and didn't see the point.

I think part of the problem was that when Wright was hired, Marvel had this idea to release smaller movies that weren't tentpole pictures but used lesser known characters. Obviously as that juggernaut went on they changed their mind.

Cool thanks for some corrections. I completely agree with your last bit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Puppy Time posted:

the later ones are just stuffed with so many required scenes and references that the story doesn't have room to be anything but a logistics puzzle with the barest suggestion of characters. Even the action scenes, while entertaining, seem focused more on "what clever stuff can I write with this superpower?" than "what would this person, given this superpower, do with it?"

I'd argue that Dr. Strange did manage to feel more like the earlier movies since it was 90% a hero's journey. Likely though a lot of that was elevated by Cumberbatch's acting chops.

Agreed on the rest. The transition point is also pretty obvious: right after Captain America 2.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

I'd argue that Dr. Strange did manage to feel more like the earlier movies since it was 90% a hero's journey. Likely though a lot of that was elevated by Cumberbatch's acting chops.

I didn't see that one; heard it was good, but Cumberbatch's face and voice put me off badly enough that I just don't want to see anything he's in.

9jack9
Jan 13, 2015

Mokinokaro posted:

Agreed on the rest. The transition point is also pretty obvious: right after Captain America 2.

Dr. Strange is also well shot and paced. In addition all of the set pieces are interesting, make use of the magical powers in unique ways, and the final confrontation relied on Strange being clever and heroic beyond "hitting the bad guy harder".

Sadly I don't think the mainstays of the MCU will be stuck in the rut it's in until they decide to retire the main cast for real and take the needed creative liberties to send them off with style.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

I didn't see that one; heard it was good, but Cumberbatch's face and voice put me off badly enough that I just don't want to see anything he's in.

Cumberbatch is fine in Strange. The movie's problem is that it doesn't really have a lot beyond the CGI-wankery going on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Ironically, Benedict Cumberbatch looks the most like a normal person I've ever seen him be as Doctor Strange.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea as someone who's sick to poo poo of him and was not eager to see him in Strange he actually nailed it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Phase 1 was arguably better because 1) Aside from IRON MAN 2 it wasn't quite so concerned with linking everything together (It's why having Coulson around worked so well) and 2) The build to THE AVENGERS is handled pretty well. Once it reaches that and Phase 1 ends it just spins plates. I mean, remember when Thanos was a thing?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Dr. Strange is Iron Man with different (and very interesting) special effects, a unique ending, and no character arc. Worth a rental to see a few things that haven't really been done before, but also a lot that has been done before and better.

Also say what you want about the Avengers characters being too quippy, but Dr. Strange is even more egregious in that regard and it doesn't even involve Whedon.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

Phase 1 was arguably better because 1) Aside from IRON MAN 2 it wasn't quite so concerned with linking everything together (It's why having Coulson around worked so well) and 2) The build to THE AVENGERS is handled pretty well. Once it reaches that and Phase 1 ends it just spins plates. I mean, remember when Thanos was a thing?

I think he still is....?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

Also say what you want about the Avengers characters being too quippy, but Dr. Strange is even more egregious in that regard and it doesn't even involve Whedon.

Whedon's problem isn't the quips, it's that the quips could be switched around with no real change. Quips are fine, even great, so long as they're appropriate to the character(s) delivering them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Quips are fine when they're not literally almost every line of dialogue in your script.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

I think he still is....?

I think for all their planning it's the one part they've hosed up. The infinity stones still get mentioned and THE AVENGERS has a post-credit scene with Thanos and then...nothing. It's no wonder the next Avengers movie is a two-parter because they have to do a hell of a lot to set up Thanos as any particular kind of threat. I think ultimately Phase 1 felt like it had a focus and drive towards something whereas Phase 2 just has none of that.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

I think for all their planning it's the one part they've hosed up. The infinity stones still get mentioned and THE AVENGERS has a post-credit scene with Thanos and then...nothing. It's no wonder the next Avengers movie is a two-parter because they have to do a hell of a lot to set up Thanos as any particular kind of threat. I think ultimately Phase 1 felt like it had a focus and drive towards something whereas Phase 2 just has none of that.

Guardians was very much involved in connecting Thanos with the infinity gems and setting him up as a big villain. I haven't seen Guardians 2 yet so I don't know if he's involved in that one.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
My Marvel movie tier list for the 0 people who care about my opinions on dumb comic book movies:

S-Tier: Guardians 1 and 2
A-Tier: Avengers 1, Iron Man 1, Doctor Strange, Winter Soldier
B-Tier: Ant Man
C+-Tier: Age of Ultron
C-Tier: Thor 2
D-Tier: Civil War, Thor 1
E-Tier: Captain America 1, Iron Man 2
F-Tier: Iron Man 3

I dunno, I think about 50% of the films are good, and they seem evenly split between Phase 1 and Phase 2. I know I'm in minority on some (I like Thor 2 more than most people, I don't particularly care for Civil War, and I think Age of Ultron is pretty much made by Ultron himself being the most interesting villain in a Marvel movie.)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Guardians was very much involved in connecting Thanos with the infinity gems and setting him up as a big villain. I haven't seen Guardians 2 yet so I don't know if he's involved in that one.

He isn't. Guardians 2 is a fairly self-contained movie, all told.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Trojan Kaiju posted:

He isn't precisely, but it's very much a movie in his shadow.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Trojan Kaiju posted:

The thanos stuff in GotG is by far the weakest stuff in that movie.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
My favorite part of Age of Ultron is when the twins with a Jewish father and Romani mother work with neo-nazis because they have an irrational grudge against the American billionaire who merely made money by making bombs for Americans to carpet their country with and then have to learn the value of interventionism from basically an NSA agent

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Mine's when everything's exploding and falling apart

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Iron Man 3 is the best MCU movie.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Hell yeah it is. I knew I was going to love it when it opened with "Blue" by Eiffel 65.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Beefstew posted:

My Marvel movie tier list for the 0 people who care about my opinions on dumb comic book movies:

S-Tier: Guardians 1 and 2
A-Tier: Avengers 1, Iron Man 1, Doctor Strange, Winter Soldier
B-Tier: Ant Man
C+-Tier: Age of Ultron
C-Tier: Thor 2
D-Tier: Civil War, Thor 1
E-Tier: Captain America 1, Iron Man 2
F-Tier: Iron Man 3

I dunno, I think about 50% of the films are good, and they seem evenly split between Phase 1 and Phase 2. I know I'm in minority on some (I like Thor 2 more than most people, I don't particularly care for Civil War, and I think Age of Ultron is pretty much made by Ultron himself being the most interesting villain in a Marvel movie.)

I don't want to argue with your list but that's just faux-politeness as a social buffer b/c deep down I want to argue with your list forever and never stop.

Namely Doctor Strange and Age of Ultron are too high, Thor 1 and Captain America 1 are too low, and I'm right you're wrong listen to me.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Also in what universe is Iron Man 2 not at the bottom :colbert:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Thompsons posted:

Also in what universe is Iron Man 2 not at the bottom :colbert:

a universe where Thor 2 exists

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ElNarez posted:

2 Thor 2 Film

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Th3r

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

4 a Few Thors More

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I'm surprised over how overall reasonable the discussion of the MCU has been so far. The comments of pretty much every Redlettermedia video even remotely related to Marvel turn into a "Disney is WORSE THAN HITLER" echo chamber pretty quickly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ElNarez posted:

Seriously I defy anyone to recall one scene from Thor 2 they remember. At least Iron Man 2 had Whippy Joe, The Dude With Whips

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

... comments ... Redlettermedia ... HITLER ...

There's your problem :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sexpig by night posted:

Seriously I defy anyone to recall one scene from Thor 2 they remember. At least Iron Man 2 had Whippy Joe, The Dude With Whips

I remember when Thor put his hammer on the coat rack.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CelticPredator posted:

People complain "Oh Marvel completely blands out a directors vision and makes them factory pressed" yet it seems like a ton of people dislike IM3, a movie that is definitely a Shane Black film. Man imagine if the Avengers was directed by Black, it would be 1000x better because he can quip like Whedon, but is also a competent film director.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

VolticSurge posted:

I'm surprised over how overall reasonable the discussion of the MCU has been so far. The comments of pretty much every Redlettermedia video even remotely related to Marvel turn into a "Disney is WORSE THAN HITLER" echo chamber pretty quickly.

I imagine their comments sections are looking a little 4chan-esque these days. It must be a terrible feeling to realize that the frogmen have made you part of their culture.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I really like Ant Man, Thor 1 and Cap 1 because they are goofy and even in this age of serious superheroes being serious business I can appreciate the need for a superhero movie that leans a bit more silver age and less early 00s in it's comic styling.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I remember when Thor put his hammer on the coat rack.

There's also a scene where Jane and some random kids rip off Portal by tossing a bunch of trash into a spatial tear until it suddenly stops being funny.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

business hammocks posted:

I imagine their comments sections are looking a little 4chan-esque these days.

To be fair that's almost youtube comments as a whole unless you actively police them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

It's a mix of people just sprouting the same memes over and over again and the "DISNEY RUINS EVERYTHING" poo poo. The best way to get those troglodytes angry is to say something positive about either the MCU or Rouge One. Way they react you'd think you just insulted their mother.

• Locked thread