Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

CrazySalamander posted:

I'm having a brain fart staring at the Trump graph. What makes it wrong aside from the white out? Was medicaid scheduled to skyrocket or is the graph indicative of funds being shifted or what? Because I believe 538 over Trump when it comes to whether or not there's medicaid cuts. I can't tell whether the graph is a complete lie Trump pulled out of his rear end or if it's a misleading data trick. Can someone clear it up for me?

Here is an article that puts the graph into context for you.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/28/15890750/trump-medicaid-chart-fix

Basically, spending goes up under the BCRA plan, but not nearly as much as it would under the ACA. Since the current law is the ACA, the BCRA is a cut to medicaid spending since the amount spent is going down from what it would have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/poniewozik/status/880248398921838594

I think this is pretty spot on.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Gun manufactures like it when theres a Dem in the White House so the NRA has gotta be sweating.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

That's it. I have no room left for additional comment. Jesus. loving. Christ.

"to make them scream racism and sexism and xenophobia."

Jesus loving christ
Jesus loving christ
Jesus loving christ

It is literally now, "I will accuse the people that disagree with me of my own worst actions. In triplicate"

clenched fist of AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAhhhhAAAhhhRRGH

gently caress ALL.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 29, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Gun manufactures like it when theres a Dem in the White House so the NRA has gotta be sweating.
they had to literally catch themselves from outright saying that they think castille deserved it and the more-liberterian-than-conservative whites are backing away from them :yum:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Life needs to get its own schtick soon because art has got to be getting ready to sue

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

CrazySalamander posted:

I'm having a brain fart staring at the Trump graph. What makes it wrong aside from the white out? Was medicaid scheduled to skyrocket or is the graph indicative of funds being shifted or what? Because I believe 538 over Trump when it comes to whether or not there's medicaid cuts. I can't tell whether the graph is a complete lie Trump pulled out of his rear end or if it's a misleading data trick. Can someone clear it up for me?
There was a tweet by someone from vox that showed what Medicare spending would be without the ahca and it was like 200 billion more than that graph

Beaten

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

These are my people. South jersey represent.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/880264013342486528

capuito and portman have gotten their bribes, not sure who wanted the HSAs

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Inspector Hound posted:

Life needs to get its own schtick soon because art has got to be getting ready to sue

Truth has always been stranger than fiction, but reality is mocking us openly at this point.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

evilweasel posted:

The pretend libertarian?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rand seems like he's a fan of hsas.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

LeT tHeM eAt CaKe

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
CNN is going to ensure that Trump gets another term. Nice job, guys!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

HSAs are pretty much the perfect Libertarian solution: a tax shelter for rich people who can already afford to pay non-covered expenses out of pocket, woefully inadequate for everyone else, a double gently caress-you to the poor who can't afford to have them, and a fig leaf to blame all the failures and bad outcomes on a nationwide lack of moral fiber and dearth of personal responsibility.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

business hammocks posted:

It hasn't happened any of the hundreds of times a white male boomer has enacted the violent fantasies of talk radio, cable news, freep, or strormfront. For some reason he's always mentally ill and needed help.

Hell The Oregon Stupid from 2015Q4 to 2016Q1 had a jury null.

LOL White people can't be trusted to vote for anything.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

HSAs are pretty much the perfect Libertarian solution: a tax shelter for rich people who can already afford to pay non-covered expenses out of pocket, woefully inadequate for everyone else, a double gently caress-you to the poor who can't afford to have them, and a fig leaf to blame all the failures and bad outcomes on a nationwide lack of moral fiber and dearth of personal responsibility.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Except I'd use gently caress and poo poo a lot more.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

evilweasel posted:

Does this mean they might be able to pass this?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

CDHiggs posted:

That's a weird way to spell a failing education system.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
This is really cool.

https://www.facebook.com/NRA/videos/1605896562755373/

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Covok posted:

If you're genuinely surprised by this, well...poo poo, maybe politics just aren't the right venue for you, my sweet innocent summer child.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CDHiggs posted:

What?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

VitalSigns posted:

Also remember that the benefit increases as your tax bracket does. If your top tax rate is 39.6% your HSA gives you more than twice the benefit per dollar put in as someone whose top tax rate is 15%.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CDHiggs posted:

:supaburn: :derp:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/stevesilberman/status/879934336463552512

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also remember that the benefit increases as your tax bracket does. If your top tax rate is 39.6% your HSA gives you more than twice the benefit per dollar put in as someone whose top tax rate is 15%.

Yeah that's why it's a double gently caress-you to the poor: they can't afford to save much and what they scrape together qualifies for the least amount of benefit

E: really a triple gently caress-you because once that money is in an HSA they can't spend it on other necessities, whereas richer people have the flexibility to take advantage of restricted-use tax shelters.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Covok posted:

I don't think either Capuito or Portman were really in question. In fact I think most people suspected opiod funding wasn't originally included for exactly this kind of bullshit kabuki. Collins, Cruz, and Lee are the ones to watch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CNN ran a story saying one of Trump's advisors was being investigated by the Senate as a part of their Russia probe when he actually wasn't. They retracted the story and three people resigned over it, and now Fox and their allies in Right Wing Media are running up and down the halls banging on the pots and pans about how CNN has obliterated its credibility forever and should just shut down... because reasons.

And now garbage websites like Mediaite are flooding their front pages with Fox signal boosting about how CNN has destroyed journalism and Donald Trump has won the media forever because they said one guy was maybe being investigated and then went "no, sorry he actually isn't, our bad".

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Coca Koala posted:

Here is an article that puts the graph into context for you.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/28/15890750/trump-medicaid-chart-fix
Basically, spending goes up under the BCRA plan, but not nearly as much as it would under the ACA. Since the current law is the ACA, the BCRA is a cut to medicaid spending since the amount spent is going down from what it would have been.
But spending less isn't cutting!!!

Trying going into ANY large corporation and telling them that making less money isn't losing money and see how fast they'll kick your rear end to the curb. gently caress I was a cashier at Toys R Us for years and they drilled this lesson into my head

Covok posted:

Dude, big money wants it. Don't worry: the show before they pass it just makes the moral victory all the sweeter! And then, if Dems do get back into office, their ability to reach across the aisle and ask Republicans if they'd like a say in Trumpcare 2.0 will be an even larger moral victory! Maybe we can get smaller mass graves with a better quality lime in thicker layers! Boy howdy won't Republicans feel guilty for calling Dems UnAmericans Marxist traitor dogs THEN!

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

business hammocks posted:

Did we mention this loving insane NRA ad that all but calls for the murder of protestors?

http://www.theroot.com/nra-recruitment-video-labels-the-left-violent-snowflake-1796479650

I can't find a way to embed the loving thing, but it's nuts. It's the purest attempt at American political propaganda I've seen in a long time.

https://www.facebook.com/NRA/videos/1605896562755373/

Holy gently caress. That was a Two Minutes Hate.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

It's also a long con, because it gives a false perception of control and choice. Until you have to come to terms with the fact that oh poo poo, this is a lot of appointments and medical care for a whole family, and then you have to start making real tough decisions.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I read his book and I think he's running.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

CNN ran a story saying one of Trump's advisors was being investigated by the Senate as a part of their Russia probe when he actually wasn't. They retracted the story and three people resigned over it, and now Fox and their allies in Right Wing Media are running up and down the halls banging on the pots and pans about how CNN has obliterated its credibility forever and should just shut down... because reasons.

And now garbage websites like Mediaite are flooding their front pages with Fox signal boosting about how CNN has destroyed journalism and Donald Trump has won the media forever because they said one guy was maybe being investigated and then went "no, sorry he actually isn't, our bad".

Running and then retracting that story was the most evil, horrible crime that has ever been committed and everyone who has ever been part of, watched or even heard the name of CNN should be arrested and executed for highest treason, so sayeth rightwing media and facebook posts right now.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I've learned more about American healthcare by listening to the two last vox weeds podcasts than ever before.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Smol posted:

I've learned more about American healthcare by listening to the two last vox weeds podcasts than ever before.

I honestly like Vox a lot. They try to convey complex issues in a way that is understandable to the average moron citizen.

Sometimes they err a bit on the side of simplicity, and they're not entirely bereft of bias, but they try.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

empty whippet box posted:

Running and then retracting that story was the most evil, horrible crime that has ever been committed and everyone who has ever been part of, watched or even heard the name of CNN should be arrested and executed for highest treason, so sayeth rightwing media and facebook posts right now.

Did Fox make an outright fabricated graph about it?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

The phoney graph budget got used up on fake Medicaid graphs.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

empty whippet box posted:

Breitbart, Fox, Rush and etc. havent ever retracted anything and therefore are upstanding, reliable sources of information :smugdon:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OddObserver posted:

The pretend libertarian?

I dunno saying one thing and then doing another is about as for-realsy libertarian as you can get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Just one more way for Republicans to push the idea of a Flat Tax

• Locked thread