Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
2wd pickups suck in the snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

2wd pickups suck in the snow.

So do 4wd pickups. Just don't drive like a donk and don't get stuck and you're fine.

Edit: pics

Passed this guy on the way home while towing the trailer,

Double edit:
I just remembered the time I built an ice ramp at the bottom of my street and tried jumping it with my Ranger.
I didn't jump it so much as plow through it, but I still got probably about a foot of air before crashing down in a tornado of spinning bouncing truck and flying ice chunks.

I tried it again but slower the next time and wound up turning my truck into a see-saw teetering over this giant ice mound, sitting on the frame.
And then I put 80,000 more miles on it. Cool story.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 7, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Was waiting for that

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
4wd trucks suck much much much less in the snow than a 2wd but yes, 4wd is not a magic remedy for lovely roads

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
a Ranger/Colorado will go a long way.

If you could live without 4x4 look at econolines or box trucks too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

cursedshitbox posted:

a Ranger/Colorado will go a long way.

If you could live without 4x4 look at econolines or box trucks too.

Or If you decide you really want 4x4 AND a cargo van, that is a thing that you could do:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I would get a Chevy Express van if I wanted 2WD, but I want 4X4 for snow and for actual off roading. I went to rent a compact car in Colorado but they ran out and I ended up with a Frontier 4X4 with the off road package, and naturally decided to go off roading and was extremely :krad: . So why not get a 4WD truck to move my bike AND go wheelin'??

I actually saw this exact episode being filmed- it was the first time I ever went off roading and it was over a foot of snow on a super hard trail, but somehow the rental truck made it through unscathed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0gDuiTNbrM

Voltage fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 7, 2016

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
You can get a chevy express with AWD stock if you want a van.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Astros, Previas, and Toyota vans came in 4x4 variants too.

a low deck and outta the weather would be nice things to have

Its a little sketchy loading poo poo with a 46" deck height, (truck/bus is within an inch of each other) but I manage fine.
no lift.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Loading a sportbike vs a dirtbike/dual sport is a whole nother ballgame. I'm 5'8" and could load my 450F into my full size pickup by myself without issue... the track bikes were a big gently caress nope.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, people gave me sass for not wanting a pickup for bike hauling. I have trouble even with full width rails on those (not to mention, wouldn't use the bed enough to sacrifice a second row of seats anyway).

Anyways here's my new dadcar

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Congratulations :)

I paid my GTI off last week and am waiting for the title in the mail so I can do the actual transaction with the buyer.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

M42 posted:

Yeah, people gave me sass for not wanting a pickup for bike hauling. I have trouble even with full width rails on those (not to mention, wouldn't use the bed enough to sacrifice a second row of seats anyway).

Anyways here's my new dadcar

Jelly. There was a 2009 at the dealer near me, 97k miles, one owner, same color. Went back the next day with the ladyfriend to buy it for her and it was gone :(

Nice car!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I can't seem to get rid of my R6 so I think I will be running SoCal Trackdays @ Chuckwalla next weekend for two open days. Do we have anyone doing this poo poo anymore :v:

I ran two days in my E46 last month. Pros being significantly easier on the body and able to take the girlfriend along. Cons being very little actual track time and way too much relies on the vehicle rather than the pilot.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 26, 2017

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
I've got one planned for eastern creek next Friday. Going to try and finish getting the cbr500 ready for then, and also praying that this Sydney weather chills the gently caress out.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Went to my first 2017 TD

Cancelled my first 2017 TD

Nonstop pouring coldass rain, no thanks. On the other hand, the forester was dope, I slept inside and it owned

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I did my race license school at a track day in the pouring rain on my Ducati ST2. It was a learning experience I guess. 8-10 other people crashed, some of the instructors elected not to go out half the time, I missed a couple red flags cause I basically couldn't see them, and a 13 year old kid on a Ninja 300 passed me several times and then tried to cheer me up at the end of the day by telling me "you did real good!" with a thumbs up.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I did my race license school at a track day in the pouring rain on my Ducati ST2. It was a learning experience I guess. 8-10 other people crashed, some of the instructors elected not to go out half the time, I missed a couple red flags cause I basically couldn't see them, and a 13 year old kid on a Ninja 300 passed me several times and then tried to cheer me up at the end of the day by telling me "you did real good!" with a thumbs up.

That kid? Maverick vinales! *spooky music*

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

M42 posted:

Went to my first 2017 TD

Cancelled my first 2017 TD

Nonstop pouring coldass rain, no thanks. On the other hand, the forester was dope, I slept inside and it owned

To be fair though, you could lay down flat across the back seat and have neither your head nor your feet touch either of the doors.
Sorry your track day sucked though. I almost took the bait on that FB invite but as it turns out trying to sell my house saved me from that disappointment.

It looks like I'm not going to be able to make any track days this season either. All of my tools, bikes, and everything are going to be buried in a storage unit while the wife and I couch-surf for 6 months, waiting for our new house to be built.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I sold my R6 and Tuono and I've since gone to 6 car trackdays and bought a S2000. Maybe its the org I've been going out with but there is a complete lack of emphasis on safety to the point that it is a wink and nod kinda thing, half the people are insufferable assholes, and there is no understanding of 'its just a trackday, dude, chill'.

I miss the motorcycle people.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

One of the only bonuses for being small.

My couch is open to ya btw! Just help me replace my final drive again this year.

BlackMK4 posted:

That's what you fuckin get for going over to the dark side :colbert: I'm sure it's mostly got to do with the high potential for bodily injury on bikes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I feel like if you're regularly blowing off safety regulations while racing motorcycles, that's kind of a self-limiting thing.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bleh, no track days for me at least for the 1st half of the year either. Been staring at my footage from last year and that's not helping.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

BlackMK4 posted:

I sold my R6 and Tuono and I've since gone to 6 car trackdays and bought a S2000. Maybe its the org I've been going out with but there is a complete lack of emphasis on safety to the point that it is a wink and nod kinda thing, half the people are insufferable assholes, and there is no understanding of 'its just a trackday, dude, chill'.

Funny you say that because my experience and the experience of a guy I work with who also did a race license track day school was that people at track days are loving nutcases and half of them will wad their R1s in turn 1 on every session. But then I've never seen a car track day. A few times our vintage bike club did a race weekend with a vintage car club and the car club has a zero tolerance rule where if two cars touch at any time for any reason they'll both be asked to leave the event. I thought that was a bit extreme, even bikes bump into each other sometimes, it's not the end of the world.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Angryboot posted:

Bleh, no track days for me at least for the 1st half of the year either. Been staring at my footage from last year and that's not helping.

Speaking of, I've got a GoPro. On Australian tracks, you're not allowed to attach a camera on your person. What's the best place to attach the camera for some cool shots and to help with riding style?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've seen a lot of guys mounting it right behind the windscreen. A friend of mine mounts his camera on his side fairing but I don't like that side-angle view very much.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Front of tank if you can still get into a tuck. Back of the tail section to show your body positioning.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Best angles I've seen show something of the steering on the bike. Gives the video a little more dynamic visuals. Mounted on triples or where you can see the triples, or low on the side where you can see the front wheel or something.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Butt Cam best Cam.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Butt cams are fine if the person is fit (like a 25-year-old MotoGP racer) but christ, literally no one wants to look at a dumpy middle-aged man's rear end in an ill-fitting leather suit, and that's 90% of the people who post butt cam videos on youtube

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

M42 posted:

One of the only bonuses for being small.

My couch is open to ya btw! Just help me replace my final drive again this year.

I have a better idea, let's go down to Adiabatic's place in RVA and trigger his Subi PTSD.
Maybe I can even fix that fridge I gave him.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Reg'd for 5/20-21 weekend for pittrace. That track owned hard last year, and they have a 100% fresh new surface this season. S T O K E D

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have a better idea, let's go down to Adiabatic's place in RVA and trigger his Subi PTSD.
Maybe I can even fix that fridge I gave him.

Imma make him do a forester sti swap :getin:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
5/13 at Thunderhill. My first 2 wheeled tracked day (did one on 4 wheels last year), after having the bike for just a hair over a month. Gonna be fun!

I'll mount the gopro low on the fairing and see how poo poo goes.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
First track day of the year next week... taking the 701 out on a go-kart track :piss:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Pittrace status: smoove like buttah. Yall on the east coast gotta make it out here, it's my second time and I think it's my fave track now

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Any suggestions for a track day organization around Las Vegas? From my Googling, it seems there are two nice tracks. Any reviews on Las Vegas Motor Speedway or Spring Mountain?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've been to Spring Mountain east track, its pretty fun. Elevation change, fast right sweeper, very nice facility... but more importantly, TrackXperience is the most professional and safety focused group I've ever had the pleasure to run with. Highly, highly recommend them.
I've only been to LVMS for Electric Daisy Carnival like back in 2013 :v: I do know WERA runs a round there, and you are close enough to make the trek to Miller (haven't had the pleasure yet), and Chuckwalla. There are multiple groups that run Chuckwalla in a no-group format, which is pretty much the best thing ever at a very good track.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 29, 2017

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'm going to NY Safety track very soon - Any tips before I go? First track day ever - aiming for mid-late June.
I still need to pick up decent boots and gloves, and safety wire up the Tuono. I'm most likely going to rent a uhaul bike trailer unless I can find a decent one for fairly cheap on craigslist. Going to be towing with my Jetta 1.4T most likely, but it's got 184 torques which should be more than enough...

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gonna be at pittrace 6/17-18 and then again in august. I think 2017 is gonna be a pittrace only season 👌

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Looks like you guys had fun at Thunderhill. Wish I could have gone, life got in the way this year. :)

• Locked thread