Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How do you mean, like they throttle how many widgets get populated for a particular domain? It's possible, I don't really know much about that bit - could be a failure that's failing to give up. Sereri might know he looooves javascript

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

JawKnee posted:

I've only tried turning on the embedded tweets today for the first time. I'll wait a bit and try again later after restarting my device.

JawKnee posted:

update: same issue after device restart. I'm using a Samsung S3, Android 4.4.2

You probably have too many videos clogging up your phone, Mr President. Upload them here for safe keeping so you can you free up space on your device.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just really feel bad for people that subject themselves to old devices. I get it, we're not made of money and you want to get what you've spent out of a device. But something from like 5 years ago is just cruel. Spend $150-200 every couple of years and get yourself something that isn't insecure, running an old OS and APIs, and isn't god-awfully slow. Something like the G5+ or even some random BLU phone. It'll be so much better than your S3 from 5 years ago. I promise. Don't subject yourself to such torture. $200 every 2 years is well worth it for how often we use our phones these days.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying there, Internet Explorer, but some people don't use their phones much.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sometimes when I scroll down reading a thread it jumps a few lines at a time rapid-fire for at least 1 or 2 posts, sometimes like 5. trying to scroll back up will cause me to skip the same amount upwards.

I've been watching for it and It just happened after editing a post and scrolling over someone who had quoted me in the post after it. It happened when the post quoting me hit the middle of my screen, skipped about 2 posts, and when I tried to scroll up put me back where I started.

Screen's clean, that's the first thing I checked since water under my phone case can do stuff like that. It continues to skip lines even after refreshing the page but stops if I go back to bookmarks and click the thread to go back in.

On a Droid Turbo, android 6.0.1

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sounds like a javascripty thing too, I've seen it scroll super fast when it's debugging

When you say it reliably skips lines, does it do it when the page is already scrolling (like when you give it a flick) or is it only when your finger is dragging the screen? Is there anything interesting at the top or bottom of the screen when it happens? Do you have stuff embedded (like tweets or videos) and is it showing up properly?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

baka kaba posted:

Otherwise is this happening with all tweets or just some of them? A link to a post that's doing it would be good. And do they ever actually load?

Sorry for the late response here; it is happening with all tweets I've bothered turning the feature on for and trying to read. A few times when there are a LOT of tweets in one post/page of posts the app will become unresponsive. Otherwise it cycles between just showing a link to the tweet and showing the text of the tweet a few moments at a time for both.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Internet Explorer posted:

I just really feel bad for people that subject themselves to old devices. I get it, we're not made of money and you want to get what you've spent out of a device. But something from like 5 years ago is just cruel. Spend $150-200 every couple of years and get yourself something that isn't insecure, running an old OS and APIs, and isn't god-awfully slow. Something like the G5+ or even some random BLU phone. It'll be so much better than your S3 from 5 years ago. I promise. Don't subject yourself to such torture. $200 every 2 years is well worth it for how often we use our phones these days.

Look at Internet Explorer trying to justify getting modern yet you CLEARLY SUCK AT INTERNET. Way to break CSS like goddamn man.

PS: I'm trying to answer a trivia question.. can anyone tell me a Nu Metal song performed by a former member of S-CLUB 7? *

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I use an s3 and tweets load fine. Maybe techbros saying lol get a new phone scrub are jumping the gun

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I think Jo from S-Club has a speed metal album but I'm not sure if that counts

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

baka kaba posted:

I think Jo from S-Club has a speed metal album but I'm not sure if that counts

Can you name any of their songs??

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

site posted:

I use an s3 and tweets load fine. Maybe techbros saying lol get a new phone scrub are jumping the gun

You should still get a new phone, hth

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Stupid techbros and their opinions about technology. I bet you go to the actual doctor for your medical advice, what a scrub.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

site posted:

pointing out that your ancient Android is vulnerable to oodles of critical security vulnerabilities doesn't turn someone into travis kalanick

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Stupid techbros and their opinions about technology. I bet you go to the actual doctor for your medical advice, what a scrub.

Techbros are less doctors and more like that one disturbingly veiny guy at the gym who has his own secret juicing regimens

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Techbros are less doctors and more like that one disturbingly veiny guy at the gym who has his own secret juicing regimens

I'll let the techbros know that they hosed up when creating anything that has a flashy light.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

You're not wrong about how people shouldn't use old devices with since patched vulnerabilities, but comparing random internet forum tech enthusiasts to medical practitioners is kinda silly

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I think there's a worthwhile discussion to be had on this subject, but I don't think this thread is the place to have it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I think there's a worthwhile discussion to be had on this subject, but I don't think this thread is the place to have it.

Agreed. This thread is for berating the devs for restricting my freedom to make awful new threads, and for removing my spinny frog!!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

sweart gliwere posted:

Just a question / request, any way or plans to make thread titles optional when reading?

Phone space ends up feeling a bit cramped compared to tablet, it'd be cool to have an option for the title bar to toggle either: off, or slide down when up-scrolling

Asking again, since we got a bunch of new posts from that cranky dude shortly after

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

sweart gliwere posted:

Asking again, since we got a bunch of new posts from that cranky dude shortly after

It's more complicated than it should be - ideally (I reckon anyway) we'd have that style where you scroll down and the UI gets out of the way (including the floating action button), and when you scroll up it appears. But when I messed with the library for that there were a couple of awkward problems that make it hard work

So honestly at the moment I doubt it - even having the title bar optional would mean kludging a lot of stuff and there's already enough of that going on

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the title bar is proper Material Design and i salute you all for it :patriot:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I love the app, and find it the best way to interact with the forum at all out of android, browser, win10 app or iOS. Really good.

I wanted to request a feature to hide a thread.

Also blocking a user doesn't seem to work.
E- oh it does, just not older posts! All good then.

But 5 out of 5 frogs.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 26, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Older posts with the what now?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

baka kaba posted:

Older posts with the what now?

I was hitting block and nothing seemed to happen, but new posts they are making are not showing.

Should it be hiding them all? If so it's not working right, here at least.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I just installed this app and I just wanted to say it's truly awful, great work.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Is there any way to paste or open a URL linking to a post using the app?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Smiling Jack posted:

Is there any way to paste or open a URL linking to a post using the app?

If you click the three dots in the top right of a post it pops down a whole list of options, one of which is "Copy URL"

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Elyv posted:

If you click the three dots in the top right of a post it pops down a whole list of options, one of which is "Copy URL"

I want to do the reverse of that. I have the url, but I want to open it with the app.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Smiling Jack posted:

I want to do the reverse of that. I have the url, but I want to open it with the app.

If you paste the link into a web browser it should ask if you want to open it in your browser or in awful. At least it does for me.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Peachfart posted:

If you paste the link into a web browser it should ask if you want to open it in your browser or in awful. At least it does for me.

Yeah, it stopped doing that :iiam:

Clicking links opens in apps, not when I post it to address line

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Yeah, it stopped doing that :iiam:

Clicking links opens in apps, not when I post it to address line

Clear the defaults for whatever opens when you click a link, then click the link again and select the app.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Clear the defaults for whatever opens when you click a link, then click the link again and select the app.

I texted the link to myself and clicked it. Worked fine.

Pasting to the address bar won't work.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Smiling Jack posted:

I texted the link to myself and clicked it. Worked fine.

Pasting to the address bar won't work.

Yeah, that's how it should be. I don't think any app will ask to handle it if you directly paste an address into the Chrome or whatever browser bar, the browser will just do it. Not sure why Peachfart says different unless they were confused or some browsers handle it differently than I'm used to.

Edit: Just confirmed that chrome works how I said: click a link and you can open in app, paste a forum link into the address and Chrome just does it. Makes sense to me.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 29, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Yeah I was hoping there was a way to paste the link into the app

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Smiling Jack posted:

Yeah I was hoping there was a way to paste the link into the app

Well, stupid work around, but text/Hangouts the link to yourself, then click it?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah the app works by registering for awful-looking urls, so when the system goes HELLO I NEED AN APP TO OPEN THIS ANYONE??? we can step up and go yo, we got this

That only happens if something actually asks for another app to handle the url, web browsers usually don't because handling links is what they do. On the rare occasion I need to open a url I just use pushbullet or email or something to get an actual link that will open in another app. And if you set a browser to always open Awful links you'll need to clear that

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

Well, stupid work around, but text/Hangouts the link to yourself, then click it?

Exactly what I did in a previous post

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I think I misremembered when I saw the prompt to open the link in Awful, sorry for the confusion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Anyone else use this app on a tablet? It keeps freezing up, seemingly at random, when I scroll down a thread or when I swipe back from a thread to the thread list and forums list. It will do this often enough to be annoying, and requires me to kill and relaunch the app.

This has never once happened on my phone. Tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with Android 5.1.1.