Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
In a bid to boost cycling numbers in Brisbane the city's public transport boss Adrian Schrinner has challenged Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey to make helmets optional. 

On Thursday morning Cr Schrinner posted on Twitter that he was delighted with the use of Brisbane's CityCycle bike share scheme, with more than 1.9 million trips since its introduction in 2010.

A reply from Melbourne PR agency MediaWise said if helmet laws were relaxed trips would soar.

"It's not rocket science, just how the rest of the world succeeds in bikeshares," the tweet said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Could you ride to a train station and then ride to work from there?

also what sort of distance are we talking about?

loving lol if you think I'm leaving my bike at my local train station for any length of time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Zenithe posted:

loving lol if you think I'm leaving my bike at my local train station for any length of time.

You wouldn't though? You'd take it on the train and ride to work, lock it up there?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I love it when people bring their bikes on the train in the morning rush.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I'm used to nice V-line trains, I pity you schmucks in the city.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You wouldn't though? You'd take it on the train and ride to work, lock it up there?

At least in perth, you arent allowed to take a bike on the train during rush hours.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

JBP posted:

I love it when people bring their bikes on the train in the morning rush.

I did it coming back from the Big Day Out once, that was fun.

The solution though is to designate the first carriage for people who are cool enough to ride bikes, and have hooks to hang them on vertically if you have to.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And yeah this is what I meant

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

NPR Journalizard posted:

At least in perth, you arent allowed to take a bike on the train during rush hours.

Last time I checked in Sydney you had to buy it a ticket (that was a while ago, though)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/jdude924/status/879667134309289985

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Like so:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That doesn't seem real.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

And again, Perth transport best transport, because there are bike lockers at a lot of train stations, including ones you can only access through your smart rider, which you have to register to allow use of the bike lockers, so they know who and when people access it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You could fit 50 people in that amount of space.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have 3 offices, 2 that are 40km from home and 1 that is 70km.

all three are near train stations.

currently its on average 1hr 15min drive to each office from my house in the morning and evening.

google maps tells me it is 2hr 47min to cycle directly to my main office, 2hrs to cycle to second office and 4hrs to the third office.

if I throw in public transport the travel time for each office is 3 hours.

Sometimes I even have to visit all three in the same day!

edit: I am a 30min Drive from my nearest train station.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 29, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

open24hours posted:

That doesn't seem real.

It's not, apparently a youtube parody account.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

currently its on average 1hr 15min drive to each office from my house in the morning and evening.

google maps tells me it is 2hr 47min to cycle directly to my main office, 2hrs to cycle to second office and 4hrs to the third office.

Drive a loving car then, no one cares about your very specific personal hurdles.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

The Daily Telegraph columnist (Devine) is a practising Catholic and has characterised the investigation of Pell as a witch-hunt of Catholics in particular and Christians in general and has used the hashtag #HuntingCatholics.

Get used to being a minority Miranda. :getin:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

JBP posted:

You could fit 50 people in that amount of space.

If we're going to do the numbers, you could fit maybe 15, and the point was to keep those bikes from annoying passengers in other carriages, by consolidating them and stacking them in such a way that they take up the least amount of space.

If the alternative is that those cyclists drive to work instead, it's still a net gain for society.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

Drive a loving car then, no one cares about your very specific personal hurdles.

you asked the question champ.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I was being flippant, but space is at such a premium on Melbourne trains already that bringing that in would cause average motorist seeing a bicycle level consternation.

I've thought about it before and seems cool though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

Oh did I?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

what the gently caress

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Laserface posted:

That was me to be fair, but yeah, if your very specific personal hurdles prevent you from cycling then that's fine, we'll solve the problems we can first.

A 40 km cycle isn't too huge though, maybe give it a go one day for fun?

I kayak to work occasionally, it's awesome.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Laserface posted:

I wish I could bike or public transport to work but my 27 minute drive would turn into an 1.75 hour public transport or 2.5 hours biking. gently caress Brisbane is terrible for this sort of thing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can ride from my door to the CBD in under 20 minutes so gently caress you all, get better jobs and living situations.

Hobo Erotica posted:

I kayak to work occasionally, it's awesome.

Greens.txt

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

iajanus posted:

gently caress Brisbane is terrible

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

JBP posted:

Greens.txt

I pick up what rubbish I can on the way, but Sydney Harbour is actually remarkably clean.

Also I dead set even got pulled over by a police boat for not wearing a life jacket. He said that in two weeks they were going to give out fines.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
As someone who mostly drives but sometimes walks and sometimes bikes, I'm pretty curious. Do the other regional threads get as many people expressing their fear at how close they are to running over not-cars?

Between this and that other guy who went from some mild road rule they mildly dislike straight to how many times they've almost killed pedestrians in shared zones... My mind is blown how quick this stuff escallates.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Laserface posted:

Yeah, your issues are clearly affordability related, but even if you could afford to live closer to where you work then you'd just encounter all the same lack of bike (and pedestrian) infrastructure that currently exists. Sure, you might be happy to ride on roads where bikes are mixed with cars going 80kmph but a hell of a lot of people want to feel safe while they ride. Overall, if you want to really increase bike mode share rates then you need dedicated infrastructure for them.

Just out of curiosity, do you know how much do you spend on car related travel per year?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Noice.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hooman posted:

Look at this bougie gently caress who thinks you register anything at the tip.

Mate, take it to the correct pile and kick it out of the tray.

you gotta register it so they know how much to charge you mate!! and for you are posts they're gonna charge a shitload

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
So the Junkee WordPress theme is custom af so fair go ripped them the gently caress off [Junkee]

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

you gotta register it so they know how much to charge you mate!! and for you are posts they're gonna charge a shitload

Nah, biodegradable waste is hell cheap.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
If you live 25km from your job and can't ride a bike, that's cool because nobody is trying to convince you to.

We can still have great public transport and good roads. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
cyclists are hosed up, though, let's be honest.

they're always like haha i'm going forty km under the speed limit on a busy road where no one can overtake me haha i'm saving the environment XD

whoops i'm getting on a train now and i need to wedge my bicycle in-- sorry, yes, sorry, yes it's stuck in the door. oof, clipped you with the wheel there mate, haha, no biggie, right? oh you need to get around me and my bike is blocking the door? sure, mate, wait until the bicycle community hears about this

they're basically shouting I'M BETTER THAN YOU with every push of those pedals

if i'm allowed to poison household vermin with poison i can purchase from my local supermarket, i don't see why i'm not allowed to poison roadway vermin aka cyclists

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

haha XD

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°
Well now I'm picturing milky driving an exterminator van with bike helmets mounted on spikes like skulls in the Mad Max Auspol remake/destined future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Milky Moor posted:

cyclists are hosed up, though, let's be honest.

they're always like haha i'm going forty km under the speed limit on a busy road where no one can overtake me haha i'm saving the environment XD

whoops i'm getting on a train now and i need to wedge my bicycle in-- sorry, yes, sorry, yes it's stuck in the door. oof, clipped you with the wheel there mate, haha, no biggie, right? oh you need to get around me and my bike is blocking the door? sure, mate, wait until the bicycle community hears about this

they're basically shouting I'M BETTER THAN YOU with every push of those pedals

if i'm allowed to poison household vermin with poison i can purchase from my local supermarket, i don't see why i'm not allowed to poison roadway vermin aka cyclists

the hero we need

• Locked thread