Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri is a game I didn't know a thing about until I got into playing the original System Shock (it's really fun and plays well on my modern laptop!) - and well! This is just as good, if not better!

It's basically the System Shock team making a squad-based tactical fps, with a really neat comm system that lets you order your team about as you run around hunting pirates. There's hilarious FMV videos - you're playing as kind of a dork, but he's good at shooting pirates. I'm enjoying it so far for being a blast to the past, and for how smooth the laser-fire feels.

Best part: it's 1.49$. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

-Blackadder- posted:

Furi +DLC -0% $11.88

Furi DLC is just the soundtrack. You can listen to it for free here. The music does a lot to drive the game, so if you don't like songs like "You're Mine" and "Wisdom of Rage" you'll probably not have a great time.

It's a handful of pretty interesting boss fights with a cool story and music that I loved, so I had a great time with it. The first boss fight is just a tutorial, so it's not much to judge the game on, while the 2nd boss isn't very challenging. The 3rd-9th bosses were super satisfying, some of the most fun fights I've had in gaming.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have any thoughts on Behemoth's Pit People? The reviews all sound very positive, and it sounds like there's a decent amount of content.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

How's Monolith, if anyone's played it? It looks kind of neat, but it's also not on sale. :v:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Steam daily deals were really fun. I don't think I buy the theory that their refund system negated the possibility of daily deals though. It would be easy enough to alter the refund policy so that you could still have daily deals. Valve could just say "no refunds given for anything until after the sale ends. All games bought during the sale will be eligible for a refund AFTER the sale ends if a refund is requested within two weeks after the ended sale and has less than three hours played."

I think Valve did away with the daily deals because they didn't want to miss sales from the store being flooded with purchase requests on the last day of the sale immediately after the last set of daily deals are revealed, instead of a nice even pace of sales throughout.

Besides, Valve doesn't need daily deals anymore. Daily deals were an incentive for people to keep checking the store in the name of the Steam brand recognition, which Valve doesn't really need to promote that hard anymore.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I've never played any of the Atelier games; is Atelier Sophie a decent place to start, or should I get a different one?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Plastic Goldbaby posted:

Late to the party, but I'm the guy who liked Transistor more. The story felt more personal and just grabbed me more, the art style is just fantastic, music is at least on par with Bastion with an even better narrator, and combat is flat-out awesome and much more versatile. Really this game just hit all the right notes for me. $2.99 is a steal for one of the best indie games I've played in a long time, I say go for it.

A more personal story is a boon; maybe it's just me but Bastion is pretty hard to follow. Sure is pretty, though.

Thank you Brother Baur for Undertale, Brothers, and Guacamelee. I'll start with the silliest one (Guac).

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I don't have a controller to use with PC and when I run overwatch on my laptop (only computer) sometimes I get lag when the ping shoots up. Also Hyper Light Drifter lags a ton for me even though it was working ok before for some reason. Should I buy Nier: Automata?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I don't have a controller to use with PC and when I run overwatch on my laptop (only computer) sometimes I get lag when the ping shoots up. Also Hyper Light Drifter lags a ton for me even though it was working ok before for some reason. Should I buy Nier: Automata?

I wouldn't worry about the performance issues too, too much with nier but the mouse control in it during the 2D twinstick sessions is so hosed up to be a hair's breadth from unplayable and framerate problems would make it worse, so I can't recommend it

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I've got a couple games in my Steam inventory I'd like to get rid of. They're a bit old, but if anyone's interested:

Portal (2 copies)
Mercenary Kings
King Arthur - the Roleplaying Wargame
Torchlight
Zeno Clash

First come first serve, just message me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/celebrity-ghost/

Celebrity Ghost fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 29, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I've got a couple games in my Steam inventory I'd like to get rid of. They're a bit old, but if anyone's interested:

Portal (2 copies)
Mercenary Kings (2 copies)
Torchlight
Zeno Clash (I highly recommend this one!)
King Arthur - the Roleplaying Wargame

First come first serve, just message me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/celebrity-ghost/

Got Mercenary Kings, thank you Ghost! :D

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Thank you, Celebrity Ghost, for Zeno Clash!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Behemoth's Pit People? The reviews all sound very positive, and it sounds like there's a decent amount of content.

I played it in the beta. It was really dull.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Ningyou posted:

How's Monolith, if anyone's played it? It looks kind of neat, but it's also not on sale. :v:

As someone who really doesn't care for roguelikes and could never get into The Binding of Isaac, but who loves shmups, I had a lot of fun with Monolith. It's a bit on the shorter side by roguelike standards as it took me about 9 hours to defeat the true final boss and you could definitely get there much faster if you're good enough. The developers have said that they're working on adding content to the game to significantly extend its duration, including adding a second playable character. Unlike in most roguelikes, all permanent upgrades are passive things like damage up or turning your dash into a teleport. Otherwise, you can only have 1 weapon at a time and weapons work on ammo; you can try to hold on to a single weapon for the long-term by finding ammo refill or swap weapons around for healing and money boosts.

The combat's really smooth, there are some basic quality of life elements (ex: you can instantly teleport to any room you've previously been to), and I think only having access to a single weapon at a time means you can never become too overpowered nor too underpowered. Every room is handcrafted as well, which means you sometimes run into the same room multiple times on the same floor, but you don't have the common issue of 'millions of procedurally generated rooms' which all feel like they're made from the same handful of copy/pasted components. It also gets pretty challenging on the later floors, though not to such a degree that you need to be some sort of bullet hell prodigy to beat it.

Basically, I'd recommend it if you like shmups and/or if you're looking for a roguelike that's not trying to be another Binding of Isaac ripoff and you don't mind the fact that you can probably see everything the game has to offer within about 10 hours. If you're on the fence about it, I'd be surprised if it doesn't go on sale within the next month or two; it's not part of the current Summer Sale because it just came out on June 7th, but I suspect there will be a sale when the major content update hits.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Celebrity Ghost posted:

You must be reading my mind.

Thanks goons, for all the game recommendations and doing intervention on my steam deal habit.

Here's some games I have from my inventory and past bundles. See something you like, just hit me up on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/-blackadder-/

Amnesia The Dark Descent
Starwolves 2
Death to Spies: Moment of Truth
Warlock 2: The Exiled
Broken Age
Alien Breed Trilogy
Fable: Lost Chapters
Shadow Run Returns
Trine 2: Complete Story + Goblin Menace Pack
Dropsy
Orbital Gear X3
Dungeon of the Endless - Crystal Pack
I am Bread
Switchcars
JumpJet Rex
Volume
Penarium
Steredenn
Wasted
Nova-111
Stikbold
GRAV
Shantae and the Pirates Curse
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty
1993 Space Marine
Vertical Drop Heroes HD
Avalanche 2: Super Avalanche
Teddy Floppy Ear - Mountain Adventure X2
Between Me and the night bonus game X2
200% Mixed Juice Bonus Game

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 4, 2017

Plastic Goldbaby
Sep 8, 2010

Purple horseshoes?
Sure, if they be nailed to a golden horse.
Big thanks to Brother Baur for Valdis Story, Pony Island, and an out of nowhere Wasteland 2 and Celebrity Ghost for Mercenary Kings! You guys are just too good for this world!

Oh dear, it's happened. Mercenary Kings was already in my library and I didn't know it.... I think I'm going to go lie down now. Thanks anyways!

Plastic Goldbaby fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 29, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

GreatGreen posted:

Steam daily deals were really fun. I don't think I buy the theory that their refund system negated the possibility of daily deals though. It would be easy enough to alter the refund policy so that you could still have daily deals. Valve could just say "no refunds given for anything until after the sale ends. All games bought during the sale will be eligible for a refund AFTER the sale ends if a refund is requested within two weeks after the ended sale and has less than three hours played."

Valve didn't put in refunds out of the kindness of their heart, though. They added them because the EU basically made them. And that could mean they can't attach any strings like that to them.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'm not making my next batch purchase yet but i know what it'll be: fairy fencer f, magic circle, last door S2 and quantum conundrum

that'll leave me with close to 4 dollars and maybe i'll get one more game beyond this and that'll probably be it for me for the sale, so i'll let card drops and stuff get my steam wallet up higher. then get maybe sublevel zero. idk

you'd have a better time with sublevel zero than with quantum conundrum, unless you really enjoy first-person precision jumping puzzles

-Blackadder- posted:

Sooo, a few more games crept into my cart that I need some goon opinions on to whittle down...

7 Days to Die -60% $9.99
The Consuming Shadow -50% $4.99
Devil Daggers -50% $2.49
The Last Door Season One -75% $2.49
Adam Wolfe All Episodes -85% 2.99
Super House of the Dead Ninjas -80% $1.39
Summer Sale Puzzles Bundle (World of Goo, Machinarium, Samorost 2, SpaceChem, Tiny Bang Story, Gateways, The Bridge, Tetrobot & Co, The Room, Sokobond) -87% $10.74

these are good things at gooder prices

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 29, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
7 Days to Die has been at 60% before, but that two pack is a better deal if you get that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zetsubou-san posted:

you'd have a better time with sublevel zero than with quantum conundrum, unless you really enjoy first-person precision jumping puzzles
i do

i cant screencap my batch #4 but i already said the games so it's no big deal.

Giveaway #4: One Piece Pirate Warriors 3

reply and I will PM a gift link. yo ho ho he took a bite of gum gum

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Since I have seen requests of play though lengths pop up here a few times, everyone should be aware of https://howlongtobeat.com/ . I use it fairly often when deciding what games to buy or when choosing what to play next.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Quest For Glory II posted:

i do

i cant screencap my batch #4 but i already said the games so it's no big deal.

Giveaway #4: One Piece Pirate Warriors 3

reply and I will PM a gift link. yo ho ho he took a bite of gum gum

thank you for the crazy shonen pirate game

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 29, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hurm. As I've talked myself out of getting the Division (my poor laptop can't play it well enough for it to run smoothly and look good), that leaves a nice 20$ sized hole in my budget, so!

Battle Brothers or Factorio?

I might talk myself out of both of these, but... I keep circling back to stare at them. Could I have some goonpinions to help me out?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hurm. As I've talked myself out of getting the Division (my poor laptop can't play it well enough for it to run smoothly and look good), that leaves a nice 20$ sized hole in my budget, so!

Battle Brothers or Factorio?

I might talk myself out of both of these, but... I keep circling back to stare at them. Could I have some goonpinions to help me out?

Factorio and it's not even close. There's at least 100 hours of getting your sperg on in that game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Tulip posted:

Furi DLC is just the soundtrack. You can listen to it for free here. The music does a lot to drive the game, so if you don't like songs like "You're Mine" and "Wisdom of Rage" you'll probably not have a great time.

It's a handful of pretty interesting boss fights with a cool story and music that I loved, so I had a great time with it. The first boss fight is just a tutorial, so it's not much to judge the game on, while the 2nd boss isn't very challenging. The 3rd-9th bosses were super satisfying, some of the most fun fights I've had in gaming.

There actually is proper DLC with some new things in it.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
I went through some hidden gems threads/posts and came out with the following list of stuff, coming to $68.01

Anyone familiar with any of these that can talk me out of any of them?

The Turing Test
Stories: Path of Destinies
TRI: Of Friendship and Madness
The Black Watchman
Wuppo
Drox Operative
LostWinds 1 and 2
Seraph
Voidspire Tactics
Ara Fell
Tribal Pass
Westerado: Double Barreled
Train Valley
Gateways
Tetrobot and Co
Sokobond
SquareCells
The Floor is Jelly

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You posted a list of 20 games and I haven't heard of a single one of them so I hope they're fun. (Okay I guess I heard about wuppo like a page ago.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Is Civ VI worth buying or waiting on the inevitable expansions?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So how does SOMA's atmosphere compare to Alien: Isolation or Prey (I know that gameplay is completely different)? Some people swear it's one of the best games they've ever played but others...not really. Any opinions on it?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Palpek posted:

So how does SOMA's atmosphere compare to Alien: Isolation or Prey (I know that gameplay is completely different)? Some people swear it's one of the best games they've ever played but others...not really. Any opinions on it?

It's alright. Not fantastic, not terrible, just a somewhat improved Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Palpek posted:

While I've played the hell out of Alien: Isolation, I don't have a ton of experience with SOMA, but I believe SOMA is a lot more linear (compared to A:I I mean) and the AI is a lot more rudimentary than the Xenomorph (it engages in the typical mindless patrol loops that are similar to many other FPS horror games like Amnesia; you're not really being "hunted" by something). SOMA's got a pretty cool story and concept behind it that explores ideas like consciousness, immortality, and existential dread however, whereas A:I is basically another story in the Alien franchise.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Palpek posted:

I played SOMA last week and am currently working through Alien: Isolation. The atmosphere feels very similar, although SOMA left me with a feeling of isolation and claustrophobia that I haven't yet felt in Alien: Isolation (despite the name) due to the ubiquity of other living beings (hostile and non-hostile). Encounters in SOMA are comparatively rare and you're not given any way to defend yourself. There's no combat at all. I've enjoyed both so far, but prefer SOMA's non-violent approach as I feel like carrying a small arsenal with me imbues me with a confidence that I wouldn't have otherwise.

EDIT: Alien: Isolation's fear feels more material, whereas SOMA's was more... existential?

basalt fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 29, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DontMindMe posted:

I went through some hidden gems threads/posts and came out with the following list of stuff, coming to $68.01

Anyone familiar with any of these that can talk me out of any of them?

The Turing Test
Stories: Path of Destinies
TRI: Of Friendship and Madness
The Black Watchman
Wuppo
Drox Operative
LostWinds 1 and 2
Seraph
Voidspire Tactics
Ara Fell
Tribal Pass
Westerado: Double Barreled
Train Valley
Gateways
Tetrobot and Co
Sokobond
SquareCells
The Floor is Jelly

Drox Operative has a demo that'll let you know if you like the game or not.

Seraph is fun but the levels are procedurally generated so they get samey really really fast.

Squarecells is not good and I refunded it despite loving the other games the guy's made. (Well except for Sentinel)

Gateways gets really, really mind-bendy in some ways that I didn't grok, so the puzzles quickly became impossible for me. Again, approach with caution.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Drox Operative has a demo that'll let you know if you like the game or not.
Westerado also has a free to play "demo" version on the adult swim site.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
is there any Shadowrun I shouldn't get?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Also are there...*unofficial* ways to play the one time deal missions for new Hitman?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

is there any Shadowrun I shouldn't get?

Shadowrun Returns is a good, short, and the weakest of the trilogy. Skip it if you're on the fence, but be warned that the engine improvements will make it difficult to return and play it in the future.

Dragonfall / Hong Kong are both extremely good and worth your time.

The other Shadowrun games out there are really bad, except for the SNES one, but it's not on Steam so it's a moot point.

Alan Smithee posted:

Also are there...*unofficial* ways to play the one time deal missions for new Hitman?

Nope. (Don't let it be a dealbreaker for getting the game, though! They're a really tiny part of it.)

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

DontMindMe posted:

SquareCells

is rather weak compared to hexcells, you can get LYNE and get a whole lot more puzzlegame for your eighty-nine cents

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zore posted:

Is Civ VI worth buying or waiting on the inevitable expansions?

Personally, I'd pass. The AI is brain dead to the point where it can't even attempt to take a city if you've built the first level of walls. It's been broken like that since release and apparently still hasn't been fixed. The AI in Civ games has never been great and was made a lot worse with one unit per tile, but somehow they managed to make Civ VI even worse. At this point they seem to be just phoning it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

You must be reading my mind.

Thanks goons, for all the game recommendations and doing intervention on my steam deal habit.

Here's some games I have from my inventory and past bundles. See something you like, just hit me up on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/-blackadder-/
Broken Age
Dropsy
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty

Oh geez, I gotta pick one out of these three. Recommendations?

• Locked thread