Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The lift has one of the my favorite sequences in the game and if you aren't riding it all the time and miss that sequence you're loving up.

No one expects to be ambushed during what feels like a loading screen, man that got my heart racing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GlyphGryph posted:

The lift has one of the my favorite sequences in the game and if you aren't riding it all the time and miss that sequence you're loving up.

No one expects to be ambushed during what feels like a loading screen, man that got my heart racing

I'm not sure why, but I was expecting it when it happened. Maybe the way the lights dimmed.

Only afterwards did I realize you can't have anything equipped in the lift (outside that one occasion).

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rinkles posted:

That thing was a death trap for me (because the devs didn't account for how it could interact with the nightmare)

aren't you invincible in the elevator? the nightmare attacked me when I was in the lift too but I never took any damage

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CharlestonJew posted:

aren't you invincible in the elevator? the nightmare attacked me when I was in the lift too but I never took any damage

It attacked me when exiting. It killed me before the the exiting animation finished. This was my first encounter so I had no idea what was going on. It was confusing and frustrating instead of tense and exhilarating.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rinkles posted:

It attacked me when exiting. It killed me before the the exiting animation finished. This was my first encounter so I had no idea what was going on. It was confusing and frustrating instead of tense and exhilarating.

Yeah I fixed the elevator, looked outside and saw 3 Phantoms, a Greater Mimic, the Nightmare and a Weaver and decided "you know what maybe the Arboretum has some more stuff to check out."

And then I had the surprise during the ride up and decide I would never use the lift ever again and just EVA if I needed to quickly move between sections.

As I'm now nearly at the end of the game I had a few questions:

1) If a mind-controlled person has their head explode does that count as harming a human? I haven't killed any humans so far , but I did shoot a mind-controlled guy in med bay and his head exploded. Getting the achievement would be nice
2) Any plot related consequence to loading up on Typhon mods if I already have 2 installed? 3 will make the turrets hate me so I've been careful of doing it but I'm swimming in mods at this point. Also the Nightmare already showed up on my way back from the Crew Quarters so I don't know if that has an impact or not
3) Are there any "missable" emails or station personnel? I'm trying to be as methodical as I can but there are still some random ones that I think might be locked behind keycard-only doors.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

OK, just killed January and the only difference seems to be that Alex is barking out orders instead. At least, based on my time in Psychometrics so far.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Use the lift all the time its actually great you just got really unlucky. Only one surprise happened to me all game. Install all neuromods you want of whatever type you want, the game will recognize how many you jam in and recognize it but its not bad or anything just a thing that gets recognized either way.

Also killing mind controlled guys counts as murder so yeah you are a murderer. Tough cookies.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Use the lift all the time its actually great you just got really unlucky. Only one surprise happened to me all game. Install all neuromods you want of whatever type you want, the game will recognize how many you jam in and recognize it but its not bad or anything just a thing that gets recognized either way.

Also killing mind controlled guys counts as murder so yeah you are a murderer. Tough cookies.

Even if the guy did his exploding attack instead of me getting the final shot in?

Aw dang :smith:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

axeil posted:

Even if the guy did his exploding attack instead of me getting the final shot in?

Aw dang :smith:

Hey buddy, nobody said the virtuous life was going to be easy.

The Bioshock vs. Prey derail has made me realize (gasp) that people value different things from video games. It's very shocking, I know. Here's one thing I value from Prey that I couldn't ever find in a game like Bioshock, or really 99% of all games.

Just for kicks on an otherwise murder-free playthrough, I saved my game and shotgunned Alex in the face at the first chance I got. Immediately all hell broke loving loose. Giant tentacles appeared in the sky. The gravity disappeared and the world reoriented. Chaos loving reigned. I hate to use a cliche, but I finally got the whole "Lovecraftian" thing when that thing came out of nowhere.

I sat back in my chair stunned, since I had no idea that all I had really done was trigger the Apex animation appearance. I couldn't understand what the hell was going on. For the first time since I was like 15 and playing Deux Ex (Icarus Found You!!! Run While You Can!!!), a game had actually surprised me. It was amazing.

And that's why Prey is officially objective better than Bioshock and if you think otherwise you're a bad person. :colbert:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

A mind-controlled guy exploding does not count as you killing them for the purposes of the Do No Harm achievement. I had guys explode on me in the gym and I got the cheevo just fine.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

bewilderment posted:

I had guys explode on me in the gym

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
:same:

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Sardonik posted:

It's funny how much a contrast this game has with Bioshock Infinite, Prey is significantly better in pretty much every respect, especially at being a -Shock game.

That's what I thought. I think it's better than Bioshock.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Did anyone else's framerate become low and somewhat erratic in the power core (or whatever it was, the area with the busted diverter in the core)?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

I'm still amused how The Nightmare can get into your main office. That was quite a shocker, idk how it squeezed in there.

I wish it could squeeze into tight areas a lot better. The nightmare is a super cool concept and in the Typhon trailer it sorta squishes down to fit through the double wide doors just fine; but in the game as it is you just find a slightly elevated area or a door and shoot it/psychoshock it repeatedly while it fails to deal with you. I wound up using all four calls to the satellite back to back to get five nightmares delivered to my doorstep and then went on a mad power trip with the million neuromods that let me create.

It wouldn't be so bad if the game didn't have such excellent level design. But every single area the nightmare can spawn in a little creativity can get you somewhere it won't be able to harm you within seconds. I find Technopaths and Telepaths far more dangerous.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

double nine posted:

Did anyone else's framerate become low and somewhat erratic in the power core (or whatever it was, the area with the busted diverter in the core)?

Yeah, my computer completely freaked out in there. Perfectly solid performance for the rest of the game, then dropping to single-digit FPS in that area.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm 11 hours into this game and my only real complaints are that it's trying very, very hard to seem scary without actually being scary, and I can't have the space helmet on at all times.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
First playthrough I missed the mimic chip, that was really fun. Got real good at spotting duplicates.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

axeil posted:

1) If a mind-controlled person has their head explode does that count as harming a human? I haven't killed any humans so far , but I did shoot a mind-controlled guy in med bay and his head exploded. Getting the achievement would be nice
2) Any plot related consequence to loading up on Typhon mods if I already have 2 installed? 3 will make the turrets hate me so I've been careful of doing it but I'm swimming in mods at this point. Also the Nightmare already showed up on my way back from the Crew Quarters so I don't know if that has an impact or not
3) Are there any "missable" emails or station personnel? I'm trying to be as methodical as I can but there are still some random ones that I think might be locked behind keycard-only doors.
1) No - if their head explodes then you didn't kill them.
2) No.
3) As far as I'm aware there aren't. There are ways to 'lose' station personnel from the tracking computers due to actions you take, but there aren't any one-time-only locations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the first time i ran into the nightmare it was in the arboretum and i was in that little tunnel down by the medical room, and the way it was situated it looked like there was this massive black phantom coming out of the mouth of the dead person situated just outside of there and it looked incredible. it's a shame that most of the rest of the time it showed up it was stuck somewhere mooing at me.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I'm pretty sure I killed a mind controlled human with a pistol and their head exploded, not certain though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

aniviron posted:

I wound up using all four calls to the satellite back to back to get five nightmares delivered to my doorstep and then went on a mad power trip with the million neuromods that let me create.
I might just be misremembering something obvious, but what do you mean by "all four calls to the satellite?"

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

^^^^^ I'm reasonably sure he's referring to a side-mission that spawns only if you've installed a particular number of typhon mods and killed the Nightmare a certain number of times. I went 100% pure human lol in my playthrough so I missed it entirely.

Eh, I dunno how much Prey was going for "scary." It was tense as gently caress for most of it's play-time, but I wouldn't like freak out about coffee mugs IRL or have nightmares about the Nightmare or whatever. But it is, IMO, very good at getting you into the "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo" headspace.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

1) No - if their head explodes then you didn't kill them.
2) No.
3) As far as I'm aware there aren't. There are ways to 'lose' station personnel from the tracking computers due to actions you take, but there aren't any one-time-only locations.

Good to know. I also unlocked the "read all emails", "find all personnel" and "listen to all logs" achievements before I had actually done those things. Maybe they programmed in some wiggle room? That'd be nice.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They actually unlock at something like 80%, I think they just didn't update the achievement text.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Digital Osmosis posted:

^^^^^ I'm reasonably sure he's referring to a side-mission that spawns only if you've installed a particular number of typhon mods and killed the Nightmare a certain number of times. I went 100% pure human lol in my playthrough so I missed it entirely.

Ah, had no idea it was a triggered thing- I just got a call from January who said I could install some stuff on a satellite if I wanted to bitch out of nightmare fights and even though that didn't sound like something I'd do taking an EVA to go mess around with satellites did sound fun- so I installed it, and it puts an audio log in your inventory that lets you dismiss or summon the nightmare at will, four times.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok, imagine if Bioshock had sections where you went outside in a cool scuba suit and there were big daddies to fight and weapons and bloated corpses to find weapons on...

Rapture tells a great story but I never ever bought that it could ever work or that you could ever convince anyone to move there.

Talos 1 feels solid and real and makes a believable amount of sense, which is a root of good science fiction.

I think that Prey gets by on everything looking sterile and clean but I agree that many areas of the game are homogenous to Raptures various layers of chaos. Infinite had a bunch of pretty poo poo front-loaded but once you start reality shifting the game devolves in 5-6 different pallette swaps of "giant two floor arena with on ramps and cover" and the original bioshocks are very cramped hallway shooters by design.

As a gamer of like 23 years I think the reason that shooting in Bioshock is superior tonPrey's is because the Typhon have no death animation, they just fizzle and die. Splicers bucked, flew backwards and physics flipped them around when you shot hem, it felt like you were doing something. Shooting something in Prey literally just makes your problems go away. In that sense Bioshock has superior combat because it feels better.

Bioshock has a better story and gunplay, and Inlove Rapture, but Prey is arguably the better game and is a game I will replay instead of Bioshock for years to come.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Talos 1 actually feels like a place I might have wanted to be prior to poo poo going wrong (presuming I didn't know about all the hosed up stuff anyway). It's very comfortable and pleasant and there's lots of amenities and it didn't seem like it was absolutely falling apart right up until the game began anyway. Though I'm not too hot on the "all meat is eels" aspect.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Eel is good eating.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Question on Danielle Sho: I've done her quest to kill the fake cook and her person tracker thingie tracks her to crew quarters - but there's no-one there. Is this a glitch, or does she simply despawn after her quest is complete? Or can I find her space-walking somewhere?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

double nine posted:

Question on Danielle Sho: I've done her quest to kill the fake cook and her person tracker thingie tracks her to crew quarters - but there's no-one there. Is this a glitch, or does she simply despawn after her quest is complete? Or can I find her space-walking somewhere?

She disconnected her tracker before she went outside. The tracker itself is actually in her room, I think. She obviously is not. She never comes back inside the station to my knowledge, but if she did she would probably do what other "saved" characters do and disappear until the escape

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

She disconnected her tracker before she went outside. The tracker itself is actually in her room, I think. She obviously is not. She never comes back inside the station to my knowledge, but if she did she would probably do what other "saved" characters do and disappear until the escape

Got it - I'm piecing together some of the side-plots as to how hosed up this station was before the apocalypse happened and one thing puzzles me - there is an audio log found on the bridge that discusses how the 'volunteer' shuttles consistently black out for 12 minutes on their flight path. I can't remember anything else that connects to this plot point, can anyone help me understand what this refers to?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I don't know if this was posted, but Arkane's founder creative director, Raphael Colantonio, is leaving the company:

quote:

Colantonio said he will stick around "for as long as necessary to ensure a smooth transition to the new management team in Lyon," while is "long-time friend and colleague" Harvey Smith will head up Arkane's Austin operation. He also praised ZeniMax, which acquired Arkane in 2010, for giving it the opportunity "to emerge as a world-class studio."

"ZeniMax enabled us to make the best games that we’ve ever made," he said. "And I know there is even more to come."

Colantonio's departure is significant, because he's headed up nearly every game Arkane has made: Before Dishonored put the studio into the big leagues, he was the lead designer on Arx Fatalis (which you really should play if you haven't) and writer and creative director on the criminally-underrated Orc-booting sim Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. He's certainly earned the right to take a break and do something new, but it's a real loss for Arkane and gamers alike.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

double nine posted:

Got it - I'm piecing together some of the side-plots as to how hosed up this station was before the apocalypse happened and one thing puzzles me - there is an audio log found on the bridge that discusses how the 'volunteer' shuttles consistently black out for 12 minutes on their flight path. I can't remember anything else that connects to this plot point, can anyone help me understand what this refers to?

It's a damned good question, actually. We know they have another secret facility on the moon, and I originally thought it might be stopping there, but 12 minutes really isn't enough time to be doing that. We also know the volunteers never actually go back to Earth. And it's 12 minutes both ways, right?

mania
Sep 9, 2004
From /r/prey, a bunch of infographs from the Prey artbook.

I really like the shuttle in the neuromod infograph.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

"Mon deu" indeed.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

Though I'm not too hot on the "all meat is eels" aspect.

I was not really sold on the eels thing for a long time either- it was clearly a Dishonored reference which was neat haha I guess; but it seemed really out of place, like an arbitrary and exotic thing to have on a space station for no reason. Then, when I got to water treatment in life support they explain that the eels are there because they're detritivores which dispose of the sewage and then go on to become food themselves. It went from dumb to cool really fast because that's the kind of neat efficiency thing that would happen on a real, large space station. Which, I guess is a weird way to say it but it went from being unimmersive to really immersive and that's what sold me on it.

Also eel is pretty tasty, gotta agree with Ghostlight.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just accidentally spaced a dude who was hiding in a cargo container. I thought I was activating the control panel, but nope. Spaced him. I feel bad.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

As mistakes go, that's a pretty significant one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I'd be surprised if most people don't accidentally space him the first time through. My first instinct was to quickly go to the container and look for interactable things, and, well, yeah.