Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Rouge One is my favorite movie about a makeup-artist turned fighter pilot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Rogue one is my second favorite movie with a boring plot and lovely characters that Forrest Whittaker hams up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rogue One is my favorite movie about terrorism.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Rogue One is worse than the prequels and also killed my puppy

Iron Man 3 is the best marvel movie and anyone who places it dead last on a list that includes Thor 2 and Ant Man is highly suspect of terrorist activities against puppies

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

But Iron Man 3 was so bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

Eh, to me the best Marvel films are the ones where there's a real sense of character throughout. Like the big problem with Whedon for me is that he doesn't write characters, he just writes quip delivery devices; I can't recall any of his MCU stuff where a particular action or choice struck me as "Yes, this is something that only that character would do." Early MCU was extremely good at this; the later ones are just stuffed with so many required scenes and references that the story doesn't have room to be anything but a logistics puzzle with the barest suggestion of characters. Even the action scenes, while entertaining, seem focused more on "what clever stuff can I write with this superpower?" than "what would this person, given this superpower, do with it?"

I'm not going to argue against you that the movies couldn't be better but, you're gonna have to give me a specific idea of what you want to see, because I have no imagination.

nine-gear crow posted:

Ironically, Benedict Cumberbatch looks the most like a normal person I've ever seen him be as Doctor Strange.

My only issue with him was that I didn't think he matched the character at all because of his Tintin-like Babyface. But then he grew a beard later and I was cool with it. I do wish the magic was more creative than pulling weapons out of nowhere. I've seen that on so many Looney Toons cartoons already. I want not replicable via technology magic like Howl's Moving Castle or something.

Anyway, my favorite part of the Marvel universe is how far it spans. While Peter Quill is fighting his dad planet, The Punisher is in Riverdale helping Archie stop a hitman or something.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 29, 2017

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

sexpig by night posted:

Seriously I defy anyone to recall one scene from Thor 2 they remember. At least Iron Man 2 had Whippy Joe, The Dude With Whips

I'm 85% sure there's a scene where a man is teaching a class in his underpants.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rogue one is the best blockbuster action film of 2016 where terrorists are the heroic protagonists, and the fact that there are two of those is one of my favorite aspects of the modern media landscape.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Marvel movies is the worst thing that affected american cinema since HUAC

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MiddleOne posted:

But Iron Man 3 was so bad.

I also liked Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
The last two/three pages have made it clear that Disney/Marvel have successfully erased the existence of Incredible Hulk from everyone's memories.

(I really, really liked that one and Ed Norton/Disney's spat still makes me sad)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I Before E posted:

Rogue one is the best blockbuster action film of 2016 where terrorists are the heroic protagonists, and the fact that there are two of those is one of my favorite aspects of the modern media landscape.
What was the other one?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

Eh, to me the best Marvel films are the ones where there's a real sense of character throughout. Like the big problem with Whedon for me is that he doesn't write characters, he just writes quip delivery devices; I can't recall any of his MCU stuff where a particular action or choice struck me as "Yes, this is something that only that character would do." Early MCU was extremely good at this; the later ones are just stuffed with so many required scenes and references that the story doesn't have room to be anything but a logistics puzzle with the barest suggestion of characters. Even the action scenes, while entertaining, seem focused more on "what clever stuff can I write with this superpower?" than "what would this person, given this superpower, do with it?"

This is funny to me, because Whedon fought extremely hard to keep the Hawkeye farm scene in Age of Ultron specifically because it helped define the character. The studio was extremely mad at a scene that had no action

People just want to demonize Whedon because he finally hit it big and it's fun to poo poo on people making big movies, and also because other writers/directors try to ape his dialogue and don't do it as well, thus poisoning the well for any characters who dare to make a joke. But it's not Whedon's fault that many of the MCU movies have bad dialogue, blame the writers.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I really liked The Nice Guys.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

But Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was good. You're sending me mixed signals here.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I keep clicking on this thread and, starting to read it, think I've accidentally clicked on a film chat thread I have bookmarked.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

WampaLord posted:

This is funny to me, because Whedon fought extremely hard to keep the Hawkeye farm scene in Age of Ultron specifically because it helped define the character. The studio was extremely mad at a scene that had no action

People just want to demonize Whedon because he finally hit it big and it's fun to poo poo on people making big movies, and also because other writers/directors try to ape his dialogue and don't do it as well, thus poisoning the well for any characters who dare to make a joke. But it's not Whedon's fault that many of the MCU movies have bad dialogue, blame the writers.

actually he sucks

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Whedon hit it big years ago and the criticisms of his writing style are well established at this point and haven't changed that much because he hasn't really grown that much as a writer. And I say that as someone that still likes him a lot because of Buffy/Angel/Firefly.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

Whedon hit it big years ago and the criticisms of his writing style are well established at this point and haven't changed that much because he hasn't really grown that much as a writer. And I say that as someone that still likes him a lot because of Buffy/Angel/Firefly.

I think if you're expecting writer growth to happen in big budget summer blockbuster movies, you're looking in the wrong place. It's impressive at all that Avengers works at all as a movie, because look at the DCU to see it done badly, and now funnily enough the DC people went and hired him to fix it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The first Captain America movie is the best one but I admit this is 99% because I am a sucker for movies set in that era. Probably also because Chris Evans is adorable.

WampaLord posted:

I mean I already gave an example of what I felt was a complete mangling of a character all for the point of a joke. Also I've p. much hated Whedon's writing from the start, so yeah no I'm not just a Jealous Hater.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Iron Man 3 (and the world) would be better if Iron Man 2 didn't exist. It basically followed the same story beats, but better.

sexpig by night posted:

Seriously I defy anyone to recall one scene from Thor 2 they remember. At least Iron Man 2 had Whippy Joe, The Dude With Whips

The ending where they're slingshot-portalling all over London and Thor-land doesn't ring a bell? It's definitely not a great movie but the ending was loads of fun.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I think if you're expecting writer growth to happen in big budget summer blockbuster movies, you're looking in the wrong place. It's impressive at all that Avengers works at all as a movie, because look at the DCU to see it done badly, and now funnily enough the DC people went and hired him to fix it.
So you accept that hes a limited writer that hasn't grown and his critics aren't off the mark then. Good to know. Bodes well for the DCU.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

So you accept that hes a limited writer that hasn't grown and his critics aren't off the mark then. Good to know. Bodes well for the DCU.

I think he doesn't need to "grow" as a writer to make a good blockbuster, they're not really known for nuanced in depth writing. But there are good versions of them and bad versions and he's good enough to make good versions.

If you want examples of his writing growth, look to his earlier works or to his indie projects, not Marvel movies. Too many studio demands will limit anyone's "growth."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

The ending where they're slingshot-portalling all over London and Thor-land doesn't ring a bell? It's definitely not a great movie but the ending was loads of fun.

You might as well be describing Man of Steel.

Also no, the third act of Thor 2 is a complete blur to me as well.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I think he doesn't need to "grow" as a writer to make a good blockbuster, they're not really known for nuanced in depth writing. But there are good versions of them and bad versions and he's good enough to make good versions.

If you want examples of his writing growth, look to his earlier works or to his indie projects, not Marvel movies. Too many studio demands will limit anyone's "growth."
You know this doesn't refute the original point right? That people do in fact have legitimate criticisms of his work rather than being blinded by some sort of jealousy or tall poppy syndrome.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

You know this doesn't refute the original point right? That people do in fact have legitimate criticisms of his work rather than being blinded by some sort of jealousy or tall poppy syndrome.

The original post I was responding to was "Whedon doesn't write characters, he writes quip machines" and I pointed out how hard he fought for a bit of a major movie where characters got to be developed more.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The first Captain America movie was good, but I (very slightly) preferred the DC Version, mostly because I felt Chris Pine was a better Steve. Hayley Atwell and Gal Gadot was a toss-up, though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I get it

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Ang Lee's Hulk is one of the greatest movies ever made

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSGXERUKBj4

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Is this meant to argue for or against that point? I really can't tell.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

WampaLord posted:

I don't know. The script for Wonder Woman he wrote got leaked a while ago, and some of the excerpts from it are pretty bad. I also remember people were upset with part of the romance subplot between Hulk and Black Widow in Avengers Part 2 or whichever one it was.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know. The script for Wonder Woman he wrote got leaked a while ago, and some of the excerpts from it are pretty bad. I also remember people were upset with part of the romance subplot between Hulk and Black Widow in Avengers Part 2 or whichever one it was.

People were upset because BW called herself a monster for agreeing to be sterilized so she could assassinate people better.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Iron Man 3 is a good Shane Black movie broken up by scene after scene of the Stock Marvel Action Sequence, and those are so boring and bland that they've kinda soured me on all subsequent Marvel Studios movies, because once you've seen a scene in that style you've kinda seen them all.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

WampaLord posted:

I'm fine with his writing its more how he directs action and how his movies look that is my sticking point

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's a TV director with no flair for large budget shot composition or action scenes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yea, you'll hear no argument from me there. Aside from Winter Soldier, no Marvel movie has done action that well.

Also the Cap uniform in Avengers 1, lmao.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

SleepCousinDeath posted:

It's one of the most fascinating, that's for sure.

I have an un-ironic soft spot for that movie ever since I had a chance to talk with Ang Lee about it when he was in town filming Brokeback Mountain. I asked him how he, as a cultural outsider, goes about preparing for films like Hulk and Sense & Sensibility (and Brokeback as a nu-Western) that are so rooted in a specific cultural sensibility. He told me that for Hulk he sat down with a huge pile of comics and made notes about the impression and aesthetic, trying to figure out what made comics tick, and the answer he came to was that (western superhero) comics were all about isolation and loneliness because the characters are always visually cut apart and walled off in tiny boxes and all the heroes are lonely and have to hide themselves and Hulk is the loneliest because he struggles with the fact that his true inner self is not a good person.

It was a profound moment where I realized that, you know, he's not wrong.

And that's how we wound up with HULK, a 138 minute introspection on the nature of self, instead of an hour and a half of Bruce Banner realizing that Violence is Awesome (but Also Terrible (but Mostly Awesome)).

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MacheteZombie posted:

People were upset because BW called herself a monster for agreeing to be sterilized so she could assassinate people better.

Okay, I am super confused by this. Are there different versions of the movie, because I am pretty sure she didn't say that at all when I watched the movies in theater in Germany (in English).

edit: Like, I think they only showed her killing a person, not even visually indicating any kind of surgery.

e X fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

what

• Locked thread