Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why did the game make sure I said goodbye to everyone at the end? Is this like Persona 4 where there is some secret ending if I do something?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why did the game make sure I said goodbye to everyone at the end? Is this like Persona 4 where there is some secret ending if I do something?

No, there's no secret ending, it's just to give you closure on the characters and setting. Also special items for New Game+.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Beat the game my thoughts:

- To put it simply, it was well worth the near decade wait. By far the best game in the series.

- Come to think of it, it's probably the best JRPG in years, as I feel nothing has rivaled it since Xenoblade

- The characters and setting are top notch. With the exception of Yuske and Haru, all of the main cast stand out and are more interesting than even Persona 4's cast

- They either need quick travel for the confidants or add confidants to be listed in the mini-map specifically

- While the game had fantastic music, overall I felt that the 4th game still reigns supreme

- The game is a behemoth. I clocked out with 92 hours and 54 minutes. This technically holds the record of the longest single single player game I've ever played. However, I would still feel it would be more accurate giving that title to Trails in the Sky being that it is one single story despite being two "separate" games. Even your XP and stuff carries over.

- While I had fun with it, the game did overstay its welcome. I was ready for it to end with Shido, but then it turns out I had another palace to go through. And then really long end game stuff. poo poo felt like "The Neverending Story". I can understand why such few long epics peak at the 70 or 80 hours mark.

- Props for the game for having the balls to kill Akechi. I was certain it would do a "He's actually alive!" at the end of the final boss battle. Especially with him being revealed to be the original one to defeat The Holy Grail.

- There was next to no grinding in the game, besides the final boss fight which I likely didn't have to do and they had those overpowered enemies who gave you huge experience like gold slimes in Dragon Quest.

- I'm still not sure how to feel about SP being so scarce to recover.

- The presentation of the game was much higher than I expected. Especially with the 2D animated cutscenes, which looked fantastic.

- If there is one thing that's going to age very very poorly in the game, it will be the stealth mechanics. They are inexcusably bad now with the awkwardness of moving around once cornered, selecting where to jump to, bad camera angles, and the dungeon design around it.

Overall, a fantastic game, and probably the best one I've played in years. I'm a bit sad now because we won't get Persona 6 for likely another 8 years.

EDIT - It's also crazy how well this game is selling in the U.S. compared to the first one which sold just a bit over 100,000 after some months, which was notably BELOW it's expectations.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 27, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

punk rebel ecks posted:

Beat the game my thoughts:

Especially with him being revealed to be the original one to defeat The Holy Grail.

I'm sorry, did I miss this?? Come explain yourself in the spoiler thread, my man

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

I'm sorry, did I miss this?? Come explain yourself in the spoiler thread, my man

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817536&pagenumber=136#post473802204 (MASSIVE SPOILERS IN LINK)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That is complete bullshit.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I'm playing P4G and I love my dumb Inaba bros. I really think P5 needed more teenagers hanging out being buddies.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

One thing I thought 3 did better than 4 and 5 was presenting the idea that the party members had lives that didn't revolve around the MC. Just minor things like "Sorry, I gotta study after practice today, so I can't go to Tartarus."
That sort of thing.

Sure, there are days you can't advance links with people in 4 and 5, but it just feels like "Yeah, they're not there." Rather than "Yeah, they have other plans."

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

One thing I thought 3 did better than 4 and 5 was presenting the idea that the party members had lives that didn't revolve around the MC. Just minor things like "Sorry, I gotta study after practice today, so I can't go to Tartarus."
That sort of thing.

Sure, there are days you can't advance links with people in 4 and 5, but it just feels like "Yeah, they're not there." Rather than "Yeah, they have other plans."

Part of that was that SEES lived together, whereas everyone else has there own home in 4 & 5. If a character isn't around in 3 then it bears acknowledging in a way that it doesn't in the other games. Plus that and the tiredness/condition mechanics were meant to make you switch up your party more, whereas 4 & 5 have no problem with using your initial party members for the entirety of the game.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
coming from someone who didn't finish p3 and p4 due to not liking the combat does this game sufficiently change up the combat or is it more of the same

General Morden fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 28, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's still well enough "Use your personas to figure out and hit weaknesses" and things like that, but boy does it play better than any previous entry by miles.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

General Morden posted:

coming from someone who didn't finish p3 and p4 due to not liking the combat does this game sufficiently change up the combat or is it more of the same

It's a lot faster paced and more streamlined (no more fiddling with menu icons), but the basics of combat are the same.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

General Morden posted:

You know how, in the older games, you needed to pick an action from a menu?

Now you just hit a button and do the thing, so combat actually feels good in a turn based game.

I mean, the combat still has the same basic skeleton of "find enemy weakness, exploit weakness to make enemy fall down, use group attack" of past games, but it's smoother, faster, there's more options, and it just feels a lot more polished and complete and stylish than before.

I'd say, of the many small changes they made to the basic formula, the combat received the lion's share of small improvements that makes it easily the best in the whole series.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Having the right shoulder button be a shortcut to a skill that exploits the targetet enemy's weakness (if you know one) also makes it a lot more seamless, though for the main character I think it picks the persona that would do the most damage and that isn't always optimal since you also need to keep its own weaknesses in mind, plus the fact that you might not want to switch persona to exploit the weakness since you might need to make another switch afterwards. In general though, it's extremely useful and way more streamlined.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
3's a lot better in having the non-MC characters show that they have actual lives and motivations, and the character growth writing is pretty top-notch other than Fuuka.

It's just a shame that most of the gameplay is so dated now.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
shame I couldn't actually bring myself to give a poo poo about any of their lives or motivations

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AG3 posted:

Having the right shoulder button be a shortcut to a skill that exploits the targetet enemy's weakness (if you know one) also makes it a lot more seamless, though for the main character I think it picks the persona that would do the most damage and that isn't always optimal since you also need to keep its own weaknesses in mind, plus the fact that you might not want to switch persona to exploit the weakness since you might need to make another switch afterwards.

I actually love that it's not an instant win button, it will gently caress up sometimes and you need to pay attention and give a little thought before you pull the trigger. It means the game isn't a sleepwalk and you have to stay on your toes a bit. And even when you do gently caress up there's baton pass, there are elemental damage items, the game gives you more than a few second chances, it's great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

3's a lot better in having the non-MC characters show that they have actual lives and motivations, and the character growth writing is pretty top-notch other than Fuuka.

It's just a shame that most of the gameplay is so dated now.

I don't think this game was really lacking in giving characters motivations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The bulk of P3's character arcs take place outside social links. In Persona 4 & 5, they never get their big epiphany without your personal intervention. Of course that's in part because with P3 you only get the female party members as social links in the first place, and even then those are mostly rom-com hijinks separate from their development over the course of the story.

Persona 3 is less ' video game-y' for want of a better word, in as far as people have lives outside of you, the player, but I prefer the approach the later games because the development as a whole is better even if you have to initiate it yourself. Also, you don't have to spend time teaching someone to cope if you find them tiresome.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This thread makes me want to play Persona 3 again.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

punk rebel ecks posted:

This thread makes me want to play Persona 3 again.

I played it on the psp that looks like big jellybean that sides. Was neat

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is there a consensus for what's the best version of Persona 3?

There's vanilla, FES, and Portable.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Probably Portable. It sacrifices the overworld presentation of the PS2 versions and becomes basically a pure VN for daytime segments (Tartarus and full moon dungeons are still the same) for the ability to control party members in battle, skill cards, and go exploring in Tartarus without having to worry about getting tired mid-exploration.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't like Persona 3 very much anymore, but you should only play Portable as the girl, the dude sucks

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
FES and p3-kun did nothing wrong

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Arist posted:

I don't like Persona 3 very much anymore, but you should only play Portable as the girl, the dude sucks

What makes the girl better?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

What makes the girl better?

They removed all the lovely S links and replaced them with good ones

Also she's cute

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
P3P is so far the only game in the series that let's me kiss all of the cute boys, which makes it the best by default.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Automatonic Water posted:

FES and p3-kun did nothing wrong

FES also gives you The Answer if you want to enjoy 25 more hours of gameplay for about 30 minutes of additional story. :v:
(To be fair, it's pretty good story, though.)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I would contest that, I don't think The Answer is very good at all!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Persona 3 Portable feels more like a visual novel spin-off than a proper persona game with the lack of running around in the overworld. Persona 3 FES is a pain to play and has a few lame Slinks.

My conclusion is that... Persona 3 is not a good persona game. Play Persona 2 instead.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Where the first two Persona games like the last three?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

They starred a cast of eccentric Japanese high schoolers dealing with incursions of the supernatural by summoning Persona.

But otherwise no, not at all. Neither the social links nor the time constraints were mechanics. The demon negotiation actually was, though. They removed it in 3 & 4 and brought it back for 5. In addition you could switch Persona on all party members, not just the MC. They're rough, and you spend a lot more time wandering through high encounter rate mazes but they've got their charms. The LP forum has, well, an LP of the first game which is nearly finished and the second game which has just begun.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Persona 2 is amazing in its own way and it shares a lot of motifs and themes with the last 3 persona games, but otherwise it's a straight dungeon crawler without the life sim/time management elements introduced in 3. Still a good game though, if you can live with late 90's JRPG jank like encounter rates.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Persona 2 is a very good, well-written game that's more of a conventional JRPG than modern Persona but still has a lot of unique and SMT-derived elements.

Persona 1 has occasional charms but it's very rough. The PSP remake is more playable, especially than the NA PSX version which cut an entire Answer-style alternate game out of the package, but it's still not great.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sounds like a Shin Megami Tensei mainline game, but only that you can switch out a fuckton of different demons at once.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ChaosArgate posted:

I would contest that, I don't think The Answer is very good at all!

I think it's a good endcap to the Yukari/Aigis and Yukari/Mitsuru relationships, and poor befuddled Junpei trying to stay in the middle with Koromaru. That's mostly it though.

For being an Aigis-centric storyline, it was a lot more about Yukari and I'm not heavily invested in Aigis.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there a consensus for what's the best version of Persona 3?

There's vanilla, FES, and Portable.

FES has better presentation, and P3P has better gameplay + girl mode (better s.links). Vanilla is FES with fewer features, don't even look at it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

So anyone stopping by AX? Atlus finally brought over some decent merch but ofc it's too far way for me :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
When will video game companies learn that XL is never the biggest size they'll need for Americans.

Especially for a JRPG.