Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEvkFonvd8Y

Sometimes it just clicks (and explodes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just started playing today, and don't have much of an idea of what I am doing, but hey. Seems fun. I am a sweet level 9 bronze person right now. Any tips for a beginner idiot? Good heroes to focus on or try? So far I've had the best luck with soldier76 and roadhog. I like soldier's well-rounded seeming kit, with damage, a sprint, and the aoe heal. Need to work on improving my aim with him though. As for Roadhog, hooking people is fun, and a little more forgiving on aim tracking it seems.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Filthy Monkey posted:

Just started playing today, and don't have much of an idea of what I am doing, but hey. Seems fun. I am a sweet level 9 bronze person right now. Any tips for a beginner idiot? Good heroes to focus on or try? So far I've had the best luck with soldier76 and roadhog. I like soldier's well-rounded seeming kit, with damage, a sprint, and the aoe heal. Need to work on improving my aim with him though. As for Roadhog, hooking people is fun, and a little more forgiving on aim tracking it seems.

Soldier is a good place to start as he is quite self sufficient, his kit is straightforward, and he can STILL lay down the damage if you aim consistently and go for those sweet headshots.
Don't just hold the trigger down if you can help it - burst fire keeps the crosshair from blooming out crazily.

A huge part of the game and more so than a lot of others is sticking close to your team mates and the objective - lone wolfing is only really viable for certain characters and in certain setups, so you might find yourself ganged up on and murdered if you think you can run off and prowl the outskirts like a lot of other shooters. Strength in numbers prevails a good deal.

Roadhog is a decent character to learn the ropes with, though he might lead towards developing some bad habits if you find yourself consistently eating fire, retreating, healing, and coming back - you're acting as a giant ult battery doing that, which ends up benefiting the enemy team more than yours. Roadie is nice for picking off people that stray too far from their team (see above) and once you get good with the hook he can dispatch folks pretty easily (though that was recently nerfed).

So far as the healers go, Mercy is pretty straightforward and forgiving to play, and Lucio will give you a little more to do so far as being aggressive with knocking folks around - though his movement system is complex with the wall-riding.

On the defensive, Junkrat is a great character to learn the ropes with, as he brings a great deal of mobility and high damage skills to the table, and isn't really victimized until you reach higher tiers of play where Zarya players really take advantage of him. He can also do some work on offense once you learn the maps and where to mortar.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Appreciate the advice. I've had some decent luck with junkrat too, actually. I used to play a lot of demo in TF2, and he seems to be the closest thing in the game to that. I do find it tougher to direct hit with his grenades at mid-range though. I used to do a lot of loch-n-loading back when it was in its prime. Still, I have employed the old demo pub strategy of 'always be firing at a chokepoint'.

Will work on my soldier aim a bit, and try to pick up a healing class. Friend of my suggests I give Winston a shot as well.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The big monkey Scientist is super strong right now and a lot of fun to play. Jump on bunch of dudes, shock them, then jump out. Don't even need to worry about aiming too much, as his damage is dealt in a cone ahead of him.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

Thinking about getting this game (PC). What is a decent price for it now / does it go on sale regularly? I know blizzard /= Steam, but I was hoping there might be a "summer" discount like other computer game selling competitors are doing. GOTY is just skins right? Not maps or anything?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

It's just skins, and regrettably you just missed the Anniversary sale. It goes on sale.. semi-regularly?

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Some good heroes for new players: Hanzo, Widowmaker, Genji, Tracer and Sombra.

:dva:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

turtlecrunch posted:

He says "Cut it out!"
He also says "Ow!"

Nuh uh!

Next you'll claim that Mercy doesn't say "Buggery online" after respawning.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Filthy Monkey posted:

I started with Mei and never looked back. Freeze enemies up close, shoot them with icicles if they are far away. An awesome "oh poo poo / self heal". Ice wall can be used to separate or split up the team and make them easier to pick off, get in between a healer and the healee, block big explodey ults like D'va's. You can also use ice wall to boost up to some higher spots quickly. Her ult is great on CP maps. You get stronger on the salty tears of your enemies frustration.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You'll have a better time with self healing characters until you know where the health packs are (this takes a long time). That's Mei, Tracer, Soldier, all the healers, Roadhog, Bastion, maybe I'm missing one or two.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

No Wave posted:

You'll have a better time with self healing characters until you know where the health packs are (this takes a long time). That's Mei, Tracer, Soldier, all the healers, Roadhog, Bastion, maybe I'm missing one or two.

I guess reaper now too.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I still think Lucio is one of the best characters to learn with.
Nice standard fire, his healing is an AOE, he can get environmental kills, he's fairly fast and he can wall-skate.

Soldier is another one who's good to learn with.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Pharah is pretty good to learn with, you won't be going up against people with really good aim and the rockets feel nice and meaty when you hit people with them. I didn't like playing soldier when I started because my aim was bad and it felt like I was doing gently caress all damage when I hit people.

Granted back then he did 17 damage a shot.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Pharah is good, but she's better after you have a better idea of what you're doing and can recon/flank with your team.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Moriatti posted:

Pharah is good, but she's better after you have a better idea of what you're doing and can recon/flank with your team.

If you're literally just starting nobody is doing that anyway.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

my advice is to try every hero for a few games each, then focus on the ones you like the most

but if you really wanna play the best heroes, learn lucio since he's been the best hero in overwatch since the beta went live and he's relatively simple to start with but has some fun tricks to learn thanks to the wallriding mechanic. soldier's a solid choice for damage; while he's not as good as tracer or genji right now, he's infinitely easier to play (genji in particular has the highest gap between skill ceiling and floor in all of overwatch imo). winston's probably the best tank atm but reinhardt's a lot easier to make use of and understand

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dogstile posted:

If you're literally just starting nobody is doing that anyway.

Most people don't period.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
The way I learned each map was to pick a mobile healer (Lucio/Mercy) and to follow the other players on my team. Being mobile lets you quickly get behind your firing line if you're too far forward and makes you a harder target to hit, and being with your team shows you the choke points and flanking routes you'll need to watch.

I suppose you could explore the maps in AI games or an empty custom match, but that's boring.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Soldier is specifically good because as a new player you won't know where to heal (healing pod helps out woth that), you'll get lost (sprint helps with that), his optimal range feels natural for most people, his ult is very easy to get value out of and doesn't require cooperation, and his gun is strong. Plus medals are exciting for new players and he will get you lots of them.

You'll be paired with other new players so go crazy though, no better time to try out new characters than now.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Just farm lootboxes in mystery heroes for a bit until you get a feel for most of the characters

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AceClown posted:

Just farm lootboxes in mystery heroes for a bit until you get a feel for most of the characters
For a new hero this won't get you much of a handle on the characters because you'll be switching and dying before you figure anything out, plus a new person isn't likely to ever see what any given characters' ult does.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ravenfood posted:

For a new hero this won't get you much of a handle on the characters because you'll be switching and dying before you figure anything out, plus a new person isn't likely to ever see what any given characters' ult does.

It also doesn't necessarily give you a handle on where and how some characters are best used. If you get given Winston against a team full of tanks then you're likely to come away with the impression that Winston sucks. Meanwhile I know that everybody is in love with attack Torbjorn but trying to make that work on certain maps is destined to be an exercise in frustration. Mystery heroes is honestly a really bad way to learn new characters even if it provides a handy excuse for playing whatever character on whatever map.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Mystery Heroes is a great way to find out I loving suck at 80% of the characters

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's still bad at that because anyone can have a single bad life

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mystery Heroes is how I learned that Scatter Arrow is a bullshit ability.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It's a good way to get basic familiarity, not to learn a hero, basically. Find the ones you like the feel of, take those for a few Quick Plays, then hit comp. You'll hit your rough level quite quickly barring crazy RNG. Comp will show you what an effective team composition looks like, and start showing you how ults combo and the importance of teamwork. You won't get that in other modes, really.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Mystery Heroes is how I learned that Scatter Arrow is a bullshit ability.
Yeah basically, I thought it was stupid and then Mystery Heroes drove in that its utter loving bullshit but whatever.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Jeza posted:

Comp will show you what an effective team composition looks like

That's cute

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am a reaper main now, and I'm not sorry for it.

E: am I the only one who sorta misses the jawbreakers?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 29, 2017

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I am a reaper main now, and I'm not sorry for it.

E: am I the only one who sorta misses the jawbreakers?

In terms of the aesthetic or the mechanic (or both :confused: )

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow 6v6 lockout is awesome.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Weren't they supposed to be removing the character select screen for Mystery Heroes?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah basically, I thought it was stupid and then Mystery Heroes drove in that its utter loving bullshit but whatever.

Why does Mystery Heroes make it more broken? :confused:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

NihilCredo posted:

people who dont/wont play hanzo get to see how easy it is to use

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Snazzy Frocks posted:

people who dont/wont play hanzo get to see how easy it is to use

It's where Hanzo Main's are born.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Is there anything more fun than sticking a pulse bomb to a Winston who panic leaps back to his team?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

NihilCredo posted:

Being able to instantly delete people in a normal game can be a powerful tool, being able to instantly delete someone, remove all their ult charge, and possibly take away a high-value character and transform them into an attack Bastion only enhances an absurdly powerful burst ability.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

AceClown posted:

Is there anything more fun than sticking a pulse bomb to a Winston who panic leaps back to his team?

the ol mercy stick into guardian angel team wipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
somebody else tell me they've heard d.va's cruiser voiceline "i'm own provider" in response to idiot widowmaker saying this is no place for children because i'm losing my mind