Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ILL Machina posted:

Wweeeeeellllll, requiring food to be stored in a roofed, air conditioned room is a bit more nuanced/errorprone than the freezer but not really more fun or Fun. Basically it lets you detach your dining room from your freezer, which I think is a very reasonable trade off, but, at this point in the games life, simplifying any part of the resource management could be considered op from a certain (wrong) perspective.

I literally just wall off a small corner of the freezer, build a vent from the freezer to it, and put my meals in there with a door to the outer kitchen so my pawns never enter the actual freezer itself. It's basically the exact same thing as a fridge except it requires less resources because I'm not spending components on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sure, if you're okay with storing your food on the ground like a animal

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So just about to hit 1k hours in this game (steam version, I played the nonsteam since v6) and I kind of wish this game had Steam cards or achievements.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
cleaning requires a fair bit of extra work from your pawns and that is not a bad thing. a large part of its effect is to slow down the development of your overall colony which otherwise could get a huge amount more done per year; even unskilled pawns could spend time refining an art or crafting passion instead of cleaning, which would then turn into either weapons and armor or a psychological advantage from widespread beauty. it serves much the same purpose as hauling does for slowing you down to a reasonable level and is actually a pretty big balancing element due to how strongly people react to dirt, blood, and vomit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Without the concept of cleaning we would not have puddles of vomit and blood and amniotic fluid, and I can't get behind that.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Wait can you put chairs at work benches to let pawns sit? Do they work better/happier for it?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Coolguye posted:

cleaning requires a fair bit of extra work from your pawns and that is not a bad thing. a large part of its effect is to slow down the development of your overall colony which otherwise could get a huge amount more done per year; even unskilled pawns could spend time refining an art or crafting passion instead of cleaning, which would then turn into either weapons and armor or a psychological advantage from widespread beauty. it serves much the same purpose as hauling does for slowing you down to a reasonable level and is actually a pretty big balancing element due to how strongly people react to dirt, blood, and vomit.

Yeah, I'm okay with cleaning existing as a labor tax for these reasons; it's another plate to spin in the whole colony management aspect of the game. It's busywork and largely automated, but almost everything in Rimworld is largely automated except combat and initial base setup once you get down to brass tacks. It's also nice that it gives a concrete use to otherwise bad/garbage pawns once you're established.

creatine posted:

Wait can you put chairs at work benches to let pawns sit? Do they work better/happier for it?

They get the comfort mood bonus(up to +10 for luxuriantly comfortable), which will improve work speed if it pushes them up a mood category(from stressed to neutral to content to happy).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Plus since they'll be spending a lot of time sitting at that tile anyway, it's a really good mood buff to offset whatever negative poo poo they have in their minds, and if it's a quality chair it contributes to area beauty (another happy thought/mood buff) so you should be building swag masterwork human leather reclining chairs everywhere.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh dear :ohdear:

Here they come :ohdear:

Look at all these things, so busy now! Everyone has something to do!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
BTW you don't REALLY need the fridge mod if you have 5+ colonists. Fine meals last for ~3 days in room temperature and if you have a single (constantly replenished) stack of food in your dining hall it will get eaten long before it goes bad thanks to stack averaging pushing spoilage forward every time you replace a meal.

For my outside place for gatherers, before I installed the fridge mod to see how it worked, I just put pre-packaged meals out there with a 'make until 10' job in my kitchen.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

*constructs an unbeatable array of turrets that automatically defeats 90% of combats without intervention* guys I think having a tiny little college dorm refrigerator in your dining area is OP

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Flesh Forge posted:

Your colonists and the enemies look super distinctive! What mods are you running to get them looking like that? Is that medieval times?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you just make one of your stay at home pawns have cleaning as their #1 priority they keep the place clean for very minimal work loss. It only takes a long time if you let the filth build up. It's just important not to set that task on someone that's going to be walking to the far side of the map to haul/mine regularly.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Your colonists and the enemies look super distinctive! What mods are you running to get them looking like that? Is that medieval times?

That's body armor from Medieval Times with cultist furred robes/hoods from the Cult mod:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=815039373

e: Pour one out for Yutaka, the chased refugee guy who was not fast enough to get away from the angry horde behind him, but did me a huge solid by dying before being captured and carried away

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 29, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Camels are crazy. One of my hunters hunts with a light machine gun. You know, as you do. So he heads out and shoots this camel a half dozen times, nearly shooting one of its legs clean off. Cool as a cucumber the camel ambles over to the hunter, getting shot all the while, then calmly and efficiently kicks the poor bloke to death. I think my hunters need bigger guns.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

LLSix posted:

Camels are crazy. One of my hunters hunts with a light machine gun. You know, as you do. So he heads out and shoots this camel a half dozen times, nearly shooting one of its legs clean off. Cool as a cucumber the camel ambles over to the hunter, getting shot all the while, then calmly and efficiently kicks the poor bloke to death. I think my hunters need bigger guns.

You can hunt with artillery fire, just saying.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LLSix posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Rimworld: I think my hunters need bigger guns

Ibbz
Dec 21, 2005
First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women

Flesh Forge posted:

What mod gives the different Psionic abilities?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cthulhu Cult mod, although don't get the impression those are super unbalanced. They're certainly not as good as an assault rifle or various other vanilla weaps.

I will admit that in general the mod makes the game easier in some ways, eg. you can eventually add psychopath and cannibalism to otherwise good colonists that don't have those traits.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Working my way through exactly that actually, my cult is blood-in blood-out. Everyone is gonna be psychopath cannibal. We will wring out every last piece of value from raiders, be blessed by their passing from this realm and dine upon their shells in tribute.

I may or may not hold a teensy grudge against raiders.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What is generally considered the best AI Storyteller? I want to pick this game back up and I'm thinking of using Randy.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

a7m2 posted:

What is generally considered the best AI Storyteller? I want to pick this game back up and I'm thinking of using Randy.

Couple of first seasons with the default Cassandra, then switch to Randy for good.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

Couple of first seasons with the default Cassandra, then switch to Randy for good.

You can switch mid-game?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

a7m2 posted:

You can switch mid-game?

In the settings panel there is an option to switch the storyteller.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The HP Lovecraft storyteller

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Looks like Psychology is out for the new version: https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/6kecgi/psychology_is_now_available_for_a17/

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Why switch to Randy after the first few seasons?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
On average Randy stays the same, both of the other too endlessly ramp up, just at different rates.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ramp up is good, no? There is no challenge otherwise.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I think what they mean is on average, since Randy is random with good/bad events, the challenge is more measured, for better or for worse. The other two are scripted to consistently throw harder things at you as time goes on. *finishes outer wall, raids immediately go from 3 tribals with clubs to 2 mechanoids*

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There is a ramp up, Randy is just more organic than the others. He doesn't schedule things like they do.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's a lot going on there but i'm busy so i'll attempt to unpack it as quick as possible

cassandra and pheobe have quotas to fill. they are hard coded to harass you on a specific schedule with specific things happening. so she is pretty predictable in that you'll suffer a raid on day x, you'll get a wanderer or cargo pods on day x+1, day x+2 will be pretty quiet to some minor bad event happening, and day x+3 you're probably looking at another raid or other major bad event, like a manhunter pack. it isn't an exact science but you get the idea. this is because she pulls from various pools to do her dirty work on you, and the pools are fairly small.

randy does not give a poo poo. when he decides something should happen, he rolls one hundred percent randomly to see what should happen. sometimes this causes an immense run of bad luck, but just as often it causes an entire week of blissful quiet where the only thing that happens is a berserk rat or something. it makes for a more dynamic playthrough because you're honestly not sure what will happen, whereas with cassandra and pheobe you have at least half of an idea.

beyond that, there's HOW a raid is constructed.

cassandra and pheobe pay attention to how much time has passed, and how much wealth your colony has. they use this to get a rough idea of how many credits they have to spend on constructing the raid they're going to hit you with and will calibrate things accordingly. what this means is the longer you spend on the planet, the harder cassandra and pheobe are going to hit until the literal only thing they can do to fill their disaster quota is hit you with progressively bigger raids. quite quickly these raids scale to stalingrad levels and you are forced off the planet from sheer number of enemies at the door and bodies on the floor.

randy, as before, does not give a poo poo. he barely pays attention to how much time has passed. he does pay attention to how much wealth your colony has (which in general goes up the longer you play), and has a much larger random element than the two ladies, but does not scale to infinity in the same way. the net effect of this is that if you go randy from the beginning, you can potentially roll badly and get a very wealthy raid of douchebags with assault rifles, grenade launchers, and steel swords in the first month or two - or, conversely, you could get no raids at all, which are frequently an early source of colonists. he can easily spawn some very threatening raids, but he's not guaranteed to spawn infinitely more threatening raids forever until you eventually succumb.

all that said, i go randy from the beginning because I FULLY SUBMIT MYSELF TO THE CHAOS TO COME. ALL RANDOM. ALL THE TIME.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

One of the funny effects of Cassie and Phoebe is they really want you to have at least 3 colonists. Quill18 did a two person psychotic cannibal start, and Cassie kept sending a third random wanderer to join the colony. It was basically Pizza Hut delivering dinner every day.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah Randy is best if you want a nice chill long-running colony.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

creatine posted:

Holy gently caress, how many years and I learn this?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's also some finicky poo poo with chairs and televisions iirc

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Doing my first playthrough on Randy - some challenge - permadeath. Any tips for attracting new colonists?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

beat down invaders with your fists, capture them, and recruit them from prison.

beyond that attracting new colonists is entirely luck.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well maybe clubs or maces rather than fists but yes. Blunt injuries don't bleed and downed dudes that aren't killed immediately from shock won't bleed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Flesh Forge posted:

Well maybe clubs or maces rather than fists but yes. Blunt injuries don't bleed and downed dudes that aren't killed immediately from shock won't bleed out.

Aren't like 3/4 of all downed dudes insta-killed instead though?