Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hard no. posted:

Surely there were already maple glazed doughnuts at Tim's in the States though, right? right? The poutine doughnut could be okay if the sauce wasn't too sweet.. I think. Doesn't look great though.

Maple Timbits actually aren't glazed, they use maple sugar. They're saying they'll only be available in the States for Canada 150 but they've deployed them inside Canada as specials before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Poutine is not Canadian, it is Quebecois, loving hell. Poutine would be impossible to create in the culinary wasteland that is Canada, where the height of cuisine is still motherfucking Swiss Chalet.

I am upset at this cultural appropriation.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Did they put Fuckin backing soda in that wtf

Yargh
Jan 12, 2008
ok.

Meatloaf Princess, nooo.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

That is green olives. :allears:

And looks like salmon wrapped around rice. Not sure what the sauce is but guessing some kind of mayo.

The other one is "spicy tuna" topping on salmon I think.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Ceciltron posted:

Poutine is not Canadian, it is Quebecois, loving hell. Poutine would be impossible to create in the culinary wasteland that is Canada, where the height of cuisine is still motherfucking Swiss Chalet.

Just wait until you find out what the poutineries out here have been doing to your sacred dish! My favourite is Mexican style. Poutine with jalapenos, shredded steak, loose corn, and fresh salsa. Yes please.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Picnic Princess posted:

Just wait until you find out what the poutineries out here have been doing to your sacred dish! My favourite is Mexican style. Poutine with jalapenos, shredded steak, loose corn, and fresh salsa. Yes please.
Where does poutine stop and Irish nachos begin?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Picnic Princess posted:

I challenge not on questions of deliciousness. I've had delicious "poutines" made with guacamole (resembling carne asade fries more than anything else). I argue merely that my homeland is forgotten constantly amid the Poutine Mania which has seized us all.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
My mom made dinner tonight

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ceciltron posted:

I challenge not on questions of deliciousness. I've had delicious "poutines" made with guacamole (resembling carne asade fries more than anything else). I argue merely that my homeland is forgotten constantly amid the Poutine Mania which has seized us all.

Quebec is just the lovely part of Canada, it's included in the "Canadian" umbrella.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

Quebec is just the lovely part of Canada, it's included in the "Canadian" umbrella.

I know many a licens/ce plate that would argue with you.

elise the great posted:

I loving warned y'all

This is mango Salsagheti. The gummy "pasta" is orange instead of pink or yellow like the other flavors.

Pop it open, you got a little pile of gummy noodles and a packet of "Gusano," a salty-sour tamarind sauce.

Cover the noodles with brown tamarind spooge from the packet and devour!

I also got a box of piña-tamarindo and one of sandia (watermelon) and I plan to eat every last one. Nobody else around here likes em anyway.

I'm moving to Spain in about eight hours and I plan to find a Mexican grocery ASAP and eat the gently caress out of those.

Haifisch posted:

We have reached peak Canada.

This is why John A. Macdaddy was a drunk; he had a vision of this and was like "oh god what have we done."

(Unrelated, but does anyone else remember the History Bites episode where Macdonald claims that he hallucinated the Mounties riding on lizard horses when he was drunk? That was my favorite HB bit of all time and I can't find it. :smith:)

Ceciltron posted:

I heard (maybe in this thread) that poutine was initially a mashed potato crust with beef and cheese; is that true and does anyone have a recipe?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I don't know how much Mexican stuff you'll find in Spain. When I was in Barcelona people would laugh at you for even mentioning Mexico. I was constantly apologizing porque aprendío todo mi español en Tejas por mis pacientes mexicanos en la hospital, and people would literally cackle at me.

I also got laughed at because at one point I told a waitress I was embarrassed and she explained that "embarazada" actually means pregnant. So I was triple embarrassed. I was also pregnant for real but I didn't know yet as the kid had just been conceived.

elise the great has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Jun 29, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Ceciltron posted:

the culinary wasteland that is Canada, where the height of cuisine is still motherfucking Swiss Chalet.

Also my Caesars and ginger beef wish to disagree with you on this point. :colbert:

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Good lord, I'd wither and die without garlic. And here I was having such a good day. Now I'm sad out of sympathy for another allergy-haver :smith::hf::smith:

Avocados won't kill me but they make me wish they did if I eat even a little bit. I got a weird draw in the genetic lottery: can't eat avocados, can't take one specific medication used to treat pancreatitis (figuring that one out almost killed me earlier this year, yay), and can't smoke pot.

Our designer has a cruel sense of humor, that's for sure.

Every time I meet someone who can't eat a thing I like, I *almost* do the "OH I WOULD DIE IF I COULDN'T EAT [whatever]" and then I realize I am that person to everyone else and it's really not that bad. Inconvenient and kinda sucky, but we all get by and learn to cope. :unsmith:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

elise the great posted:

I loving warned y'all

This is mango Salsagheti. The gummy "pasta" is orange instead of pink or yellow like the other flavors.

Pop it open, you got a little pile of gummy noodles and a packet of "Gusano," a salty-sour tamarind sauce.

Cover the noodles with brown tamarind spooge from the packet and devour!

I also got a box of piña-tamarindo and one of sandia (watermelon) and I plan to eat every last one. Nobody else around here likes em anyway.

Picked some of this up at the Hispanic grocery store the other day, and yeah, this is top tier Mexican candy. They didn't have the watermelon flavor, though. :(

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

elise the great posted:

I don't know how much Mexican stuff you'll find in Spain. When I was in Barcelona people would laugh at you for even mentioning Mexico. I was constantly apologizing porque aprendío todo mi español en Tejas por mis pacientes mexicanos en la hospital, and people would literally cackle at me.

I also got laughed at because at one point I told a waitress I was embarrassed and she explained that "embarazada" actually means pregnant. So I was triple embarrassed. I was also pregnant for real but I didn't know yet as the kid had just been conceived.

You can actually find a lot of Mexican products at the Asian groceries in Barca, oddly enough. :iiam: I don't know if they'll have a dedicated Mexican market, but I bet I can find something online.

And I have heard the embarazada story before and I :lol: every time! (It's okay, my name sounds like the Japanese word for "hole" if you don't enunciate one of the consonants properly; I introduced myself as "Hole" all over Tokyo.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In my hometown virtually every Asian grocery was Mexican/Asian. Like all the employees were Chinese but there was a big Mexican section for some reason.

Exception is the Korean groceries, those are Korean only. Shocking stuff. :eyepop:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Otana posted:

Every time I meet someone who can't eat a thing I like, I *almost* do the "OH I WOULD DIE IF I COULDN'T EAT [whatever]" and then I realize I am that person to everyone else and it's really not that bad. Inconvenient and kinda sucky, but we all get by and learn to cope. :unsmith:
Yeah, same sitch here with red meat and fatty dairy (though I haven't ever had a life-threatening reaction--if I were hypersensitive I imagine I'd have a lot more trouble getting by).

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Yargh posted:

Meatloaf Princess, nooo.

Orange Tang Drink Mix Crusted-Orange Roughy in Orange Marmalade Sauce :science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy40p2niI1U

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I heard (maybe in this thread) that poutine was initially a mashed potato crust with beef and cheese; is that true and does anyone have a recipe?

That's shepherd's pie. Cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes (and sometimes cheese) and baked until the potatoes get crispy.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Schubalts posted:

That's shepherd's pie. Cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes (and sometimes cheese) and baked until the potatoes get crispy.

Yeah, poutine is just French fries covered in nasty waxy cheese curds, and it loving sucks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Squeaky cheese best cheese

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It is impossible to eat poutine without feeling like a piece of garbage afterwards

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It is impossible to eat poutine without feeling like a piece of garbage afterwards

Maybe if you were sober when you started :rolleyes:

Just smdh if you're not drinking beer all day while curling and hunting moose on your skidoos or some such poo poo

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Even if they could fix my dish soap gene, I'm still allergic to avocado, so no guac for me anyway.

I was bummed for a bit when I discovered the allergy, but then I remembered that some people are allergic to tomatoes and garlic. And some people even get that tick bite that makes you allergic to meat. An avocado allergy is nothing compared to not being able to eat spaghetti and meatballs :unsmith:

My boyfriend is allergic to tomato (apart from that one time that a waitress thought he said he was allergic to ciabatta) and let me tell you it loving sucks. We got a takeaway Tom Yum soup this evening that turned out to have sliced tomato in it. Why?

But yeah, try going to an Indian restaurant with a tomato allergy. Saag paneer gets boring really fast.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I know what poutine and shepherd's pie are (incidentally, the latter is a cottage pie when made with beef IIRC) but I guess I'm asking about the origin of poutine. I read that bit about the tatercrust origins last week and was just wondering if anyone else knew poutine's origin story.

Also I don't really like poutine. :smith:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I know what poutine and shepherd's pie are (incidentally, the latter is a cottage pie when made with beef IIRC) but I guess I'm asking about the origin of poutine. I read that bit about the tatercrust origins last week and was just wondering if anyone else knew poutine's origin story.

Also I don't really like poutine. :smith:

Wikipedia posted:

The dish is thought to have originated in rural Quebec in the late 1950s, and several provincial communities claim to be the birthplace of poutine, including Drummondville (by Jean-Paul Roy in 1964) Princeville and Victoriaville.

One often-cited tale is that of Warwick restaurateur Fernand Lachance of Le Café Ideal, who is said in 1957 to have exclaimed, "ça va faire une maudite poutine!" ("It will make a drat mess!") when asked by restaurant regular Eddy Lainesse to put a handful of cheese curds on some french fries, hence the name. The sauce was allegedly added later, to keep the fries warm longer. Over time, the dish's popularity spread across the province (and later throughout Canada), being served in small-town restaurants and bars, as well as becoming quite popular in ski resorts and sports arenas.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Ah. I am disappoint.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

elise the great posted:

Nah I had jamaica in the fridge so I went for that instead

I judge this decision...acceptable. Carry on, citizen.

Otana posted:

I immediately started thinking "hey wait can he or she maybe try something that tastes similar like" and realized to my horror that I was one of those people that I hate. Whenever I turn down an offer for a hit from the bowl and have to leave the room, people get irrationally irritated and start machine-gunning questions just like that: "Can you vape? What about brownies? You sure it wasn't just laced with something when you got sick the first time?" Explaining that it's medically verified doesn't convince them, and they keep asking the same questions over and over.

I've come to terms with it, and have discovered plenty of other ways to misbehave in my years on this planet.

In short, I'm sorry for being "that guy," (but honestly I really would be bummed if I couldn't eat garlic) and I get where you're coming from. Does it suck not to be able to eat guac? Eh, not as bad as a kick to the groin sucks.

Now the medication allergy is a bunch of bullshit because I was taking it specifically not to die and it almost killed me so gently caress that

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

It would have to.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

slinkimalinki posted:

My boyfriend is allergic to tomato (apart from that one time that a waitress thought he said he was allergic to ciabatta) and let me tell you it loving sucks.
I have a tomato allergy* that wasn't diagnosed until I was in my twenties. I haven't had pizza** in almost twenty years and I miss it.

*Well, it was diagnosed and then forgotten about because it wasn't life threatening.
**Pesto or white doesn't count; that's just poo poo on bread.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Picnic Princess posted:

Also my Caesars and ginger beef wish to disagree with you on this point. :colbert:

Ooooh, I'll be getting my Ceaser on hardcore for Canada 150 🇨🇦

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sweet As Sin posted:

My mom made dinner tonight

Wow, a baby bird learned to use a computer and post on the internet. I'm impressed!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
There used to be a bar by my apartment that had poutine with short rib and curry gravy. It was the best fuckin' thing ever and they had to close because clearly it is good business sense to charge out the rear end for rent so nothing can pay for the space instead of having a great place that is always busy in that location. :saddowns:

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Whenever I turn down an offer for a hit from the bowl and have to leave the room, people get irrationally irritated and start machine-gunning questions just like that: "Can you vape? What about brownies? You sure it wasn't just laced with something when you got sick the first time?" Explaining that it's medically verified doesn't convince them, and they keep asking the same questions over and over.

Hey, you found one of the many reasons I broke up with my girlfriend!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

In short, I'm sorry for being "that guy," (but honestly I really would be bummed if I couldn't eat garlic) and I get where you're coming from. Does it suck not to be able to eat guac? Eh, not as bad as a kick to the groin sucks.

Nah, I totally get you. We all know it would suck to give up one of our most favorite things, I never take it personally.

Maybe we can share some delicious ramen, I think this is safe for our allergies right?

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
:stonk:

Great tastes that don't go well together!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Wow, a baby bird learned to use a computer and post on the internet. I'm impressed!
Now I wish LITERALLY A BIRD had posted that.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

elise the great posted:

Real mexican stuff (as in, not nachos/tortillas/generic sauce stuff, which are on every supermarket, but mexican brands) used to be hard to come by, but lately a lot of south- and center-american shops have been popping around. Those do carry real mexican brands, although they can be hard to find in smaller places.

And if anyone laughed (derisively, I mean) at you for speaking mexican-sounding spanish, they were assholes. We're generally terrible at speaking English (almost nobody does to a conversation level) yet some people find funny to laugh at strangers trying their best to speak your mother tongue :smith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Ironically the poutine donut isn't available in Canada.