Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

business hammocks posted:

Did we mention this loving insane NRA ad that all but calls for the murder of protestors?

http://www.theroot.com/nra-recruitment-video-labels-the-left-violent-snowflake-1796479650

I can't find a way to embed the loving thing, but it's nuts. It's the purest attempt at American political propaganda I've seen in a long time.

https://www.facebook.com/NRA/videos/1605896562755373/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

that fiction thing was a story where aliens come to earth and disperse a toxin that makes men want to murder women instead of gently caress them

from what i can tell, the author wanted to impart the ~pathos~ of a dude murdering his daughter but couldn't figure out how to make that work except by making him want to gently caress her, too

Really makes you think, huh?

Edit: that NRA video really is something.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 29, 2017

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, I didn't know squat about the VLF Lualualei transmitter. I had no idea you could transmit to submerged submarines, let alone from incredibly far away.

We even have airplanes that can do it, by deploying a 5 mile long antenna wire.

https://theaviationist.com/2014/02/25/e-6-tacamo-new-dome/

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Really makes you think, huh?

i mean the root concept of the story was "we can kill bugs by messing up their behavior so when they try to reproduce they do something weird and dumb to each other instead, what if someone else decided to kill humanity off that same way"

that as a concept was decently developed (weird-rear end murder cults thinking they're doing god's work by eliminating womankind in accordance with the bible, varying forms of global societal collapse spreading via unknown vectors) but when it got down to the personal-family-drama level of things the author didn't really know how to structure it

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I like how when snowflakes get together and whine, the NRA still finds a way to villianize them.

gently caress the NRA and their pisspants rambozo the clown culture.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

that fiction thing was a story where aliens come to earth and disperse a toxin that makes men want to murder women instead of gently caress them

But that's not fiction???

If you believe the fake news at least. Dudes always be killin their spouses.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It's stuff like that that makes me happy to be a well armed hyper-liberal

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah it's on of the biggest head scratchers on the map to me. Monahans is another odd one, but at least it's along a major interstate. Muleshoe is a tiny rear end west texas town with nothing going on.
Actually now that I think about it, it might be mislabeled as Cannon AFB is right across in New Mexico.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

M_Gargantua posted:

It's stuff like that that makes me happy to be a well armed hyper-liberal

Yeah like I joke about being a lefty who wallows in guns so I can be ready for the Revolution, but poo poo like that rubs a few molecules of the irony off every time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Actually now that I think about it, it might be mislabeled as Cannon AFB is right across in New Mexico.

That makes perfect sense. Cannon is right outside Clovis which is just over the border there.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah it's on of the biggest head scratchers on the map to me. Monahans is another odd one, but at least it's along a major interstate. Muleshoe is a tiny rear end west texas town with nothing going on.

Russians are jealous of the awesome statue in Muleshoe

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Duzzy Funlop posted:

And whatever the gently caress is west of Holbrook, Az.

The only things in Az getting nuked north of Phoenix are Page (Glen Canyon dam, I'm assuming), and something a little west of Holbrook. There's absolutely loving nothing there.

Also, I didn't know squat about the VLF Lualualei transmitter. I had no idea you could transmit to submerged submarines, let alone from incredibly far away.

The lower a freq is the further it can travel due to it attenuating less.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

windshipper posted:

I mean poo poo, they're also missing almost all of the major military bases as well.

There's no way places like Benning, Everett, San Diego, etc. get missed.

A 51 would be hit before them. Or should, since its our experimental aircraft playground. Who knows what the gently caress we have laying around there that could make poo poo difficult for the Ruskies. Chances are that map was a decapitation plan. Most damage for the least weaponry. You aren't going for a body count, you want to ruin the command structure and rapid missile strike capability.

Of course all thats moot since we have nukes on planes and in subs so striking the homeland is pointless and will likely get team Vlad vaporized before they get to see the first bomb detonate.

NSA WIZARD posted:

I TOO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THIS INFORMATION

You are still my favorite gimmick account.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

A 51 would be hit before them. Or should, since its our experimental aircraft playground. Who knows what the gently caress we have laying around there that could make poo poo difficult for the Ruskies.
Meh. We only have a few of whatever we're working on there at any given time, and global thermonuclear war is a numbers game. Unless it can stop 100 Topol-Ms, it's gonna make gently caress all difference to the outcome of a missile exchange.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The government isn't going to take your guns anymore so the NRA has to find something else to scare you with.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Merkel is trying to wind up Trump and assert herself at an international level again,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40441143

I hope we see some more shoulder barging and cryptically threatening Tweets from your Head of State in the next few weeks.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Merkel is trying to wind up Trump and assert herself at an international level again,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40441143

I hope we see some more shoulder barging and cryptically threatening Tweets from your Head of State in the next few weeks.

Trump's biggest potential ally basically lost all her power when she failed to put Corbyn away, and Macron is likely to want an even deeper partnership with Merkel than Hollande. Trump is also the one issue where she has the European public firmly behind her when she opposes him. It's a win-win situation. I'm looking forward to Trump's reaction.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm actually very excited to see what a resurgent Germany and France can do

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I'd say that apart from the UK and Poland, Merkel more or less has broad support across most of Europe, not withstanding some of the nutters in places like Hungary. How much she want's to rock the boat though, I'm not sure.

Probably the first tests for Merkel and Macron will be their own Governments disagreeing with the EU over Brexit terms and then the inevitable fallout when Turkey tears up the migrant deal when Erdogan doesn't feel like he's being treated like the Global Superpower that he is. Italian elections will also be interesting with a (non-Far Right) EU skeptic party leading in the polls.

Bernard McFacknutah fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 29, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I'd say that apart from the UK and Poland, Merkel more or less has broad support across most of Europe, not withstanding some of the nutters in places like Hungary. How much she want's to rock the boat though, I'm not sure.

Probably the first tests for Merkel and Macron will be their own Governments disagreeing with the EU over Brexit terms and then the inevitable fallout when Turkey tears up the migrant deal when Erdogan doesn't feel like he's being treated like the Global Superpower that he is. Italian elections will also be interesting with a (non-Far Right) EU skeptic party leading in the polls.

It looks like Merkel will win pretty comfortably in the fall general elections. Which her (inevitable) u-turn on gay marriage, she has cleverly removed one of the largest stumbling blocks for getting support from the progressive crowd. And the only eurosceptic party, the AfD, will likely just barely make it into parliament. Macron's En Marche also took a very comfortable majority in the French parliamentary elections. I can't see why they would get problems over Brexit? What do you have in mind there? Do you think there will be problems when Germany and France have to pick up most of the UK's EU budget contributions? I'm honestly don't understand what you are getting at here. Am I missing something? Please explain :)

Edit: Just to make sure there are no misunderstandings: I really don't understand it, I'm not dismissing your viewpoint. I would really appreciate it if you explained it to me.

I'm really curious how long it will take until Erdogan tears up the refugee deal. And how many people will try to get to Europe through Turkey again. I bet it will be less than before the deal, because they know that the Balkan route is closed. And I don't know how many people want to be stuck in Greece. But this will probably still be a real test for EU leadership.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 29, 2017

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
It looks like the EU as a body are, understandably, keen on having a harder line taken on the Brexit negotiations so the terms act as more of a deterrent to other future errant members than some of the National Governments are. I remember last year the German government having to tell the EU to tone down it's rhetoric.

I'm sure as long as there is free movement of people Merkel doesn't really give a poo poo about if EU expats in the UK have their rights overseen by the European Courts or ours as long as they have interrupted access to our markets.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the National Governments seem to want Brexit just to happen ASAP now provided there is free movement of people and access to the mutual markets as opposed to the EU parliament who want to make a point.

Bernard McFacknutah fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 29, 2017

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I still can't believe you guys were loving stupid enough to vote for Brexit.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

It looks like the EU as a body are, understandably, keen on having a harder line taken on the Brexit negotiations so the terms act as more of a deterrent to other future errant members than some of the National Governments are. I remember last year the German government having to tell the EU to tone down it's rhetoric.

I'm sure as long as there is free movement of people Merkel doesn't really give a poo poo about if EU expats in the UK have their rights overseen by the European Courts or ours as long as they have interrupted access to our markets.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the National Governments seem to want Brexit just to happen ASAP now provided there is free movement of people and access to the mutual markets as opposed to the EU parliament who want to make a point.

But I think the political realities in Britain will solve that EU-member states conflict. Because everybody in the EU27 agrees that free movement of people cannot be separated from the common market. And I can't see you guys agreeing to free movement. Even Labour said so! And now with May relying on the DUP, I can't really see how a hard Brexit can be avoided. And because of that, I think the other issues become secondary. You are right, the member states probably aren't interested in making the UK suffer as much as the EU parliament and the Commission. But they can't budge on free movement, and neither can May. So those other issues become unimportant because we likely can't agree on what's arguably the central problem. But that's just my view as an outsider. What do you think, can there be a compromise? What form of free movement could be acceptable to May and the Tories?

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
If I was a gambling man, I'd say the Tories pull the same poo poo they always do, free movement with a caveat about a cap or limit, they will stumble through the Negotiations and manage a settlement that absolutely no-one is happy with apart from UK banks and German car manufacturers. Labour will rightly kick off that it was a Brexit that no-one asked for and we will be back at square one. Theresa May has weakened her position so much that I just can't see her achieving any sort of Brexit other than some weird submission where nothing changes except we stop flying EU flags.

OR the other option is the Conservatives commit another act of Regicide as they have done so many times in the past and we go straight for a hard Brexit and then attempt to negotiate access from the outside.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TBeats posted:

The government isn't going to take your guns anymore so the NRA has to find something else to scare you with.

Just going back to the classics: guns are to defend yourself against the negroes and immigrants.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie mad

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/880409932906074113

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/880409527782219777

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/880410787461840896

Donnie brain broke

Donnie totally doesn't watch Morning Joe

Edit: holy kablammo https://twitter.com/morningmika/status/880415526371176448

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 29, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
ahahahahaha

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:drat:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Been nice knowing you, free press. :/

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

:vince:

:perfect:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BUG JUG posted:

Been nice knowing you, free press. :/

Don't worry about it. The administration leaks so much that the loss in press pool coverage is made up for by people angry inside the administration and leaking poo poo to the press.

Access journalism is dead. Real journalism is flourishing and won't stop. Might be harder to find out what's going on, but the press will manage.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
That Mika tweet :vince:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Don't worry about it. The administration leaks so much that the loss in press pool coverage is made up for by people angry inside the administration and leaking poo poo to the press.

Access journalism is dead. Real journalism is flourishing and won't stop. Might be harder to find out what's going on, but the press will manage.

I was chatting with a DC reporter the other day and this is basically what he said. The press corps has just been transcriptionists and now the media has to actually dig to find facts instead of relying on conferences.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Stultus Maximus posted:

I was chatting with a DC reporter the other day and this is basically what he said. The press corps has just been transcriptionists and now the media has to actually dig to find facts instead of relying on circuses.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/880408582310776832

This reads like he's about to start telling a story via tweetstorm about the time Insane Clown Posse came to Mar-a-Lago to give him a private concert.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's an example of that media concept in action.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/28/tillerson-blows-up-at-white-house-aide-240075

Rex Tillerson is a media black hole and avoids press very well. Journalists start asking questions all over and boom, multiple sources have him blowing up at the White House over personnel and Tillerson's preferred appointments not going through.

Sure beats press conferences.

NBC/MSNBC PR: https://twitter.com/MarkKornblau/status/880420278416941057

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Was he not alive in 2008?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
#HeterosexualPrideDay is trending lol

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
loving hell, he was watching Morning Joe today.

https://twitter.com/TomNamako/status/880423001661087744

https://twitter.com/MSNBCPR/status/880427906622787584

It's hard to know what's really postable when it comes to Donnietweets because I don't want to do the whole LOL GUYS HE'S SO DUMB act. Today's were just absolutely insane and totally worth it, I think.

In actual news, first report of a full liberation of Mosul https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/880418954396798976

OH MY GOD WHAT

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/880429415406161920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/880408582310776832

nicetweet.fun

• Locked thread