Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LogicNinja posted:

Remind me why Conjurers needed to lose Battlesphere in their starting book and become a bad starting class again

Because being a good spell, it was used too much. In order to encourage using a variety of spells the devs replaced it with something less optimal.

That's the logic they made that change under. In practice I doubt it works out that way since all I've heard from cj players since the change is complaints about how much it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Setec_Astronomy posted:

After playing this game for over 6 years, I finally hit greaterplayer yesterday (not counting Gnoll; I only play stable):

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/setecastronomy.html

My first win was actually an offline KoWz; I still have a soft spot for that combo all these years later. It's amazing to see how much this game has improved since I started playing, even if there have been major missteps along the way (I'm looking at you, shadow traps).

The hardest race for me by far was Octopode; I lost a series of high-level OpEEs before finally winning one. Least favorite race definitely Vp, because I hate everything to do with food in this game (except for Gh chunk-healing, which is nice because less pressing 5). Felid was much more fun than expected; gonna try to win a melee Felid some time soon.

Grats. I've been playing online for 3 years and just got my 4th win towards greaterplayer... only ~23 to go.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

LogicNinja posted:

Remind me why Conjurers needed to lose Battlesphere in their starting book and become a bad starting class again
To make you stop worshipping someone besides Vehumet or Gozag.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Internet Kraken posted:

Because being a good spell, it was used too much. In order to encourage using a variety of spells the devs replaced it with something less optimal.

That's the logic they made that change under. In practice I doubt it works out that way since all I've heard from cj players since the change is complaints about how much it sucks.

I guess the Book of Flames should lose Fireball then (I'm just kidding devs please don't take FE away).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the real unbalanced spell in that book is conjure flame anyways

and I would be fine with losing it if that book didn't have two worthless spells in it(throw flame, inner flame)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
demonspawn with claws/spirit shield/powered by death/augmentation/boots of the assassin/cloak of invisibility/+10 rF plate

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
What would you suggest as low level alternatives?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Carcer posted:

What would you suggest as low level alternatives?
I think the defining aspects of FE are high damage output, high noise. (Conjure Flame does not have high noise, but it's busted in more ways than that.) I think instead of replacing inner flame it would be good to buff it to make it more worthwhile.
You could buff do so by making it blow up the hexed target(doing good damage kinda like disint) either instantly or after a timer(more spellpower=less wait time?), making it a way to take down tough monsters with low MR instead of just being a quicker and more fashionable way to kill monsters you would already be able to kill anyways. This spell can be level 4.

Then remove conjure flame, and more sticky flame down to level 3(it still wouldn't be as good as current conjure flame so this would still be an overall nerf to the book).

Replace throw flame with a spell that is a bit less accurate than flame tongue, and louder, but has significantly higher max damage with good rolls to emphasize the explode-y, burst damage nature of most of the FE spells. "Firecracker" or something like that.
It could even have a gimmick where it explodes in a 3x3 burst, but is inaccurate via the shot landing 1 tile away from the tile you aim at(or the tile you aimed at with equal chance to the other tiles), making it effective against groups but unreliable in corridors and against single targets.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 28, 2017

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
To be honest, I prefer Force Lance to Battlesphere ever since the change was made. I'm not going to claim it's the better spell or debate the rationale. I'm only going to argue my own bad taste.

gently caress Mana efficiency. I didn't pick Vehumet because I wanted to fart in my enemies direction, I came for the giant fuckoff death spells. I always ended up amnesia-ing Battlesphere because it's such a loving waste of turns- I'd rather be tabbing if I wanted poo poo damage. Now Force Lance? I keep that fucker for all of a three rune game no regret. Knocking poo poo away from stairs or into clouds or just not getting mauled turning a corner? Yes, please. Bouncing monsters off of walls is more interesting as well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Force Lance is definitely not a bad spell.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

IronicDongz posted:

the real unbalanced spell in that book is conjure flame anyways

and I would be fine with losing it if that book didn't have two worthless spells in it(throw flame, inner flame)

Teach me your Conjure Flame ways. Other than getting Hydras to walk through a 4 patch long strip of conjured flames I haven't figured out how to abuse it :(

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

vulturesrow posted:

Teach me your Conjure Flame ways. Other than getting Hydras to walk through a 4 patch long strip of conjured flames I haven't figured out how to abuse it :(

PMush Perfect posted:

Force Lance is definitely not a bad spell.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

vulturesrow posted:

I don't play FEs but conjure flame is one of the best spells in the wizard's starting book so I've used it a lot. There are two main ways to use it;

-a damaging cloud that pretty much destroys everything in the early-mid game
-a barricade between you and the enemy to keep them from engaging you in melee

The first way only works on mindless creatures and ones with high enough HD that they think they can just ignore the flame cloud (they can't). You can just place a flame cloud right in front of you and stand still, watching the monster cook itself. If you don't have any defensive investment this is risky but frankly you should. It becomes a reliable way to kill almost anything willing to walk into the flame cloud in just a few turns.

The second way works on everything else. You place a flame cloud between you and the enemy and they will refuse to come any closer. From there you can either make an escape or use ranged attacks to kill them. Just picking up a blow gun will let you pelt any enemy that refuses to cross for good damage, and you can kite them by repeatedly backing off and creating flame clouds.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
once you get conjure flame, fairly early in the dungeon, you ride it all the way till after lair at least because anything that is willing to talk into it dies and anything that doesn't walk into it dies to flame tongue. death yaks die to conjure flame and sticky flame together, etc. Yaks and some other creatures like two-headed ogres have a random chance to walk into fire so if you give them a few turns they'll eventually do it and kill themselves.

And because you can use those 3 spells for so long, you can easily train up some fighting/dodging in the meantime. I like to wear ring mail as FE, I stop training fire magic once it hits 8 or so and train fighting/dodging/conj. Once you get a decent amount of fighting/dodging you can go back to training more fire if you want or branching into other schools. I like to raise my str a little to get at least 10 for the ring mail to decrease penalties.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't play FEs but conjure flame is one of the best spells in the wizard's starting book so I've used it a lot. There are two main ways to use it;

-a damaging cloud that pretty much destroys everything in the early-mid game
-a barricade between you and the enemy to keep them from engaging you in melee

The first way only works on mindless creatures and ones with high enough HD that they think they can just ignore the flame cloud (they can't). You can just place a flame cloud right in front of you and stand still, watching the monster cook itself. If you don't have any defensive investment this is risky but frankly you should. It becomes a reliable way to kill almost anything willing to walk into the flame cloud in just a few turns.

The second way works on everything else. You place a flame cloud between you and the enemy and they will refuse to come any closer. From there you can either make an escape or use ranged attacks to kill them. Just picking up a blow gun will let you pelt any enemy that refuses to cross for good damage, and you can kite them by repeatedly backing off and creating flame clouds.

This applies to Wz more than FE, but you can force any monster into the first situation by making clouds on their current space (like Mephetic Cloud, for example). Regardless of whether or not the monster is actually affected by the cloud you created, the monster AI will walk towards you instead of waiting to 'escape' their current cloud. Unless the monster has a ranged attack, this means you can easily make them walk straight to their fiery death.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
The third way is that many common packs of monsters can be split with a flaming cloud or two. Move back into a corridor, generally even with a large mob a space will present itself. Or if you have a combination of monsters that will and will not run into them, just cast one in front of you and back off. When used in this fashion it's as good for a melee character as it is for a mage.

It's also a decent escape spell when you get low mana so you generally read a lot fewer blinks and teleport scrolls and quaff a few less potions.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Lesson learned, don't go to Pan without rElec (I should have swapped some gear for it, but so few things use elec I thought it'd be ok til I hit Lom). Random Pan lord zapped the gently caress outta me.

Also been trying to do an Ogre Necromancer since it seems like it'd be strong but drat its hard to get going. Got one to lair several times but it always starts running short on killing power even if I'm focusing the gently caress out of my combat skills.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Indecisive posted:

Lesson learned, don't go to Pan without rElec (I should have swapped some gear for it, but so few things use elec I thought it'd be ok til I hit Lom). Random Pan lord zapped the gently caress outta me.

Also been trying to do an Ogre Necromancer since it seems like it'd be strong but drat its hard to get going. Got one to lair several times but it always starts running short on killing power even if I'm focusing the gently caress out of my combat skills.

I'm kind of wondering the same thing except with rCorr right now.

The way I've been playing lately is I'll just splat Op and Fe over and over and over because they are sub-optimal and bad and only bad people play them, and then for a break I'll do a murder-kill easy melee like Fo/Gr/Mi/Vs. I've been messing with Hill orcs and they are pretty murder machiney as well. I've never played them much because it always seemed like you had to take Beogh and I didn't want to bother the summon shepherding that entails. So instead I just didn't use Beogh, did an Oka start, and this guy is killing it. Face tanked V5 without having to heal, go upstairs, or even move really. Weird item distribution though, have done everything but Hell + Pan and still haven't found a wand of disintegration.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

DEFE^Veh. Clearing Mine:2 when Veh offers my final spells...no Fire Storm. WTF? :(

e: Not sure where to go from here. Cleared down to D:15, Orc is clear as well. Lair branches are Spider and Shoal (ugh). I'm thinking spider next. Shoals I think is doable? I have MR+++ and a reflect amulet and I trained up shields a little bit so I can actually cast all my spells with little penalty. Gear is unremarkable otherwise. Thoughts?

e2: Guess I shouldn't have done spider first. :smith:

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 29, 2017

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Okawaru's very first gift to me, a MfTm with 10 UC and no other weapon skills....
the +5 executioner's axe of Dawn (weapon) {chop, Str+6}

Thanks, buddy :yum:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hooplah posted:

Okawaru's very first gift to me, a MfTm with 10 UC and no other weapon skills....
the +5 executioner's axe of Dawn (weapon) {chop, Str+6}

Thanks, buddy :yum:
Time to switch to axes? 10 isn't that bad. What's the Mf Axe apt again?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Time to switch to axes? 10 isn't that bad. What's the Mf Axe apt again?

-2 :newlol:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

He's since gifted me a see invis hat, boots of running, some poisoned javelins, and a randart shield with rF+ rC+ rCorr rElec, and I found a book with hydra form, statue form, and dragon form. I think I'm just gonna stick with the UC.

Speaking of which, I've never used shields as UC, but those resists mean I am now. How much does the lack of offhand attacks hurt unarmed Mf?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
How much does the lack of offhand attacks hurt unarmed Mf?

There are only four forms that let you use that shield, iirc: Regular Merfolk Punch-Form, Beastly Appendage, Statue Form and Necromutation.
Practically not at all, in other words, bladehands melds that shield away.

From a more mechanical perspective

learndb on offhand punch and unarmed combat in that order posted:

Does 5 + (unarmed skill / 2) damage. Got +6 bonus for blade hands prior to 0.16. Gets a +(claws level)d3 bonus for claws. Disabled in forms other than lich, shadow, statue and tree prior to 0.17.
While eligible you get an offhand punch if you pass all these checks: 1: (str+dex) in 50. 2: 1 in 3, or 1 in 2 for Op. 3: UC*10 in 200. Str+dex above 50 and UC above 20 have no effect on the chance so at best you'll punch 1/3 or 1/2 of the time.

Fighting without a weapon. Base damage is 3 + UC skill (+2 per claws level (so +6 Tr, +2 Gh), +X for forms); delay 1.0 - UC/54.0; +2 to hit.

At max skill, an offhand punch can do 18 damage, while the main punch can do 30 (putting aside a lot of other factors that can increase that). This is non-trivial, it is 12% of an orb of fire. Unfortunately, it is also not especially reliable, needing to pass three checks. Think of it as an offhand fist brand. The main issue is the skill points you're putting into shields in order to eliminate the casting penalty that you could be putting into dodging and unarmed instead. At zero, it is Not Bad. It IS a workable option since the fist is mightier than the sword at high skill levels (base damage of 20 is easily reachable and top class among actual weapons), but it will remove a lot of the point of being a transmuter. Generally speaking, I might end up using an ego buckler to close the distance and then change forms, but that shield is a higher quality than I usually have to consider.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 29, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That is a really good resist shield yeah, but personally, I wouldn't get shield much past 5 (+1 SH), maybe 10 (+2) later.

Of course, things change if you get a +5 reflect amulet and have shoals/spider, reflecting javelins/barbs/ood is one of my favorite things about shields.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I tried VSAs and I guess I don't really "get" the assassin start because right around the time I was about to hit lair I felt massively outclassed and there wasnt a whole lot I could do. I just want to be a Vine Stalker with min-delay quick blade so I can rapidly stab things to death.. Is that so much to ask? Help!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Be a sbl VSBe? You'll probably be god-gifted a sweet-rear end antimagic quickblade at some point. I mean, then you can't really do the hexes thing, but BiA distracted stabs should help make up the difference

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

That is a really good resist shield yeah, but personally, I wouldn't get shield much past 5 (+1 SH), maybe 10 (+2) later.

That would be a mistake of humongous proportions considering a shield skill below the minimum for the shield exacts a weapon delay penalty of 1-2 at skill 5 and 1 at skill 10. Unarmed is given an additional penalty of a 50% chance of another 1 delay, so on the average at 5 shield skill an attack with 0.6 delay would instead attack at from 0.7 to 0.9.

Let's also not forget the severe penalty to spellcasting, which is going to mean he probably will have a hard time getting even Spider Form off. And of course the 2-3 EV penalty to a race whose only good defensive skill is dodging. Also, covering a lot of resists means being able to wear more gear with a lack of resists or resist penalties, which is especially good with Oka who will give you a number of mixed-bag randarts.

As far as the offhand punch, it's generally considered trivial damage as it does not get the massive base damage of the primary attack. It's worth keeping the offhand on a character who does not need the defense or who has poor apts and cannot afford to waste any xp. Merfolk do not meet either of these criteria. Additionally, being a Tm this Merfolk can simply cast blade hands if he wants an offhand attack.

What this dungeoneer should do is beeline shields to 10 at which point the shield can be safely equipped given that Heroism will eliminate the delay and spellcasting penalty. At that point train until you can cast your spells and then give priority to getting it to 15 but not over something you really need. 15 shields means having more piety since you won't have to kick heroism as much.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That is a much better idea.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

vulturesrow posted:

I tried VSAs and I guess I don't really "get" the assassin start because right around the time I was about to hit lair I felt massively outclassed

Non-Chei user spotted.

There is a significant bonus towards acquiring a qb when choosing short blades so Oka is also generally a good choice as long as you prioritize gear for Dex and Str to take advantage of Finesse Bite, which I imagine has to be some kind of sexy nibbling on the ears until your target says HEY WHERE'S MY MANA

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Araganzar posted:

Non-Chei user spotted.

There is a significant bonus towards acquiring a qb when choosing short blades so Oka is also generally a good choice as long as you prioritize gear for Dex and Str to take advantage of Finesse Bite, which I imagine has to be some kind of sexy nibbling on the ears until your target says HEY WHERE'S MY MANA
Well, it would be nibbling if you weren't doing it 30 times a second. Piranhas nibble too.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

demonspawns with claws 3+augmentation+some slaying gear+27 unarmed and fighting+boots of the assassin+sleeping target

I believe 7 exclamation points means I did 573-1146 damage in one hit there.
I also have spirit shield mut and powered by death so this has been... a pretty easy extended

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I just finished lair.
Peep that randart ring I just found
code:
hooplah the Gelid (Merfolk Transmuter)             Turns: 25692, Time: 02:20:22

Health: 113/113    AC: 15    Str: 14    XL:     14   Next: 59%
Magic:  21/21      EV: 17    Int: 22    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   1159       SH: 10    Dex: 15    Spells: 5/23 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis .     - Unarmed
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   b - +0 shield "Tioguffe" {rElec rF+ rC+ rCorr}
rNeg     . . .     Faith    +   K - +2 leather armour {rF+}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   o - +0 helmet {Int+3}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   E - +0 cloak
rCorr    +         Harm     .   q - +0 pair of gloves
MR       +....                  W - +2 pair of boots {run}
Stlth    ++........             x - amulet "Paoluy" {Faith rPois rC+}
Regen    0.3/turn               c - ring "Huwyrrurgh" {rPois rF+ rC+ Str+3 Int+3}
MPRegen  0.2/turn               N - +4 ring of protection
I also have a ring of wizardry, but even without it on, blade hands is still only 7% fail rate and I only have 7 shields skill

:jerry:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That's the sound you make when you find that ring.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
It's Gold Dragon Armour the ring... And more!

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Someone want to point me to a decent RC file download that's up to date for .20? Googlefu is failing me hard, but there's a slew of oddball things I'm picking up watching other people play Webtiles that are making me envious having just started playing the game. I tried skimming the official guide on RC editing, but holy cow it's a slog.

My biggest bottleneck for improvement is just learning when to quit. I keep going on autopilot when I'm half asleep and should've gone to bed or taken a break hours ago and die to the stupidest mistakes constantly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've got mine but I'm not at the computer. I'll be home in a couple hours and can post it then?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Toadsmash posted:

Someone want to point me to a decent RC file download that's up to date for .20? Googlefu is failing me hard, but there's a slew of oddball things I'm picking up watching other people play Webtiles that are making me envious having just started playing the game. I tried skimming the official guide on RC editing, but holy cow it's a slog.
You can steal mine:

quote:

# Crawl Init file
#
# Lines beginning with '#' are comments. The basic syntax is:
#
# field = value or field.subfield = value
#
# Only one specification is allowed per line.
#
# The terms are typically case-insensitive except in the fairly obvious
# cases (the character's name and specifying files or directories when
# on a system that has case-sensitive filenames).
#
# White space is stripped from the beginning and end of the line, as
# well as immediately before and after the '='. If the option allows
# multiple comma/semicolon-separated terms (such as
# autopickup_exceptions), all whitespace around the separator is also
# trimmed. All other whitespace is left intact.
#
# For descriptions concerning an option consult the file
# options_guide.txt
# in your /docs directory. Also note that the ordering of the options
# is taken from that file; this is for presentational reasons only.
#
# Note that all boolean options (i.e. values of 'true' or 'false') have
# their non-default value commented out. You can toggle these by just
# uncommenting.
# Options with several values, e.g. drop_mode = (multi | single),
# usually have the first value as default.
#
# The options for monster glyphs and item colours don't matter for Tiles.
# Similarily, tile options are ignored in console games.

##### 1- Starting Screen ############################################
#
# good_random = false
default_manual_training = true

##### 3- Interface #################################################
#
##### 3-a Picking up and Dropping ###############
#
# Rods are \ here.
# autopickup = $?!:"/%

# drop_filter += useless_item

# default_autopickup = false
# autopickup_no_burden = false
# pickup_thrown = false
# chunks_autopickup = false
# assign_item_slot = (forward | backward)
#
# drop_mode = (multi | single)
# pickup_menu = false
# drop_filter += skeleton, corpse, useless_item
# default_friendly_pickup = (none | friend | player | all)

##### 3-b Targeting ############################
#
# default_target = false
# target_unshifted_dirs = true
# darken_beyond_range = false

##### 3-c Passive Sightings #####################
#
# detected_monster_colour = lightred
# detected_item_colour = green
# remembered_monster_colour = darkgrey
# clean_map = true

##### 3-d Branding ##############################
#
# friend_brand = hi:green
# neutral_brand = hi:lightgrey
# stab_brand = hi:blue
# may_stab_brand = hi:yellow
# heap_brand = reverse
# feature_item_brand = reverse
# trap_item_brand = reverse

##### 3-e Level Map Functions ###################
#
# level_map_cursor_step = 7
# level_map_title = false
# show_waypoints = false

##### 3-f Viewport Options ###################
#
# view_max_width = 33
# view_max_height = 21
# view_lock_x = false
# view_lock_y = false
# view_lock = false
# center_on_scroll = true
# symmetric_scroll = false
# scroll_margin_x = 2
# scroll_margin_y = 2
# scroll_margin = 2

##### 3-g Travel and Exploration #################
#
# travel_delay = -1
# explore_delay = -1
# rest_delay = -1
# travel_avoid_terrain = shallow water
#
# explore_greedy = false
# explore_stop = items,stairs,shops,altars,portals,branches,runed_doors
# explore_stop += greedy_pickup_smart,greedy_visited_item_stack
# explore_stop += greedy_sacrificeable
# sacrifice_before_explore = true
# explore_improved = true
# explore_wall_bias = 0
# travel_key_stop = false
# auto_sacrifice = true
#
# explore_stop_pickup_ignore += curare
# auto_exclude += oklob,statue,curse skull,roxanne,hyperactive,lightning spire
# auto_exclude += mimic

# tc_reachable = blue
# tc_dangerous = cyan
# tc_disconnected = darkgrey
# tc_excluded = lightmagenta
# tc_exclude_circle = red

# Interrupting run and rest compound commands:
# runrest_ignore_poison = 2:30
# runrest_ignore_monster ^= butterfly:1
# runrest_ignore_monster ^= swamp worm:3
# runrest_stop_message += You hear a.* slurping noise
runrest_stop_message += Your transformation is almost over.
# runrest_ignore_message += Jiyva's power touches on your attributes

# A good number of runrest_messages are defined by default; you may want to
# clear them or override some.

# trapwalk_safe_hp = dart:20,needle:15,arrow:35,bolt:45,spear:40,blade:95

#rest_wait_both = true

##### 3-h Command Enhancements ##################
#
# auto_list = false
# auto_switch = true
# easy_open = false
# easy_unequip = false
# equip_unequip = true
# easy_confirm = (none | safe | all)
# allow_self_target = (yes | no | prompt)
# confirm_butcher = (auto | always | never)
# easy_eat_chunks = true
auto_eat_chunks = true
# auto_drop_chunks = (never | rotten | yes)
# prompt_for_swap = false
# easy_quit_item_prompts = false
# easy_exit_menu = true
# sort_menus = pickup: true : art, ego, basename, qualname, curse, qty
# sort_menus = inv: true : equipped, freshness, charged
auto_butcher = hungry

autofight_stop = 60
# automagic_enable = false
# automagic_stop = 0
# automagic_fight = false

##### 3-i Messages and Display Enhancements #####
#
hp_warning = 40
# mp_warning = 0
# hp_colour = 50:yellow, 25:red
# mp_colour = 50:yellow, 25:red
# stat_colour = 1:lightred, 3:red

# status_caption_colour = yellow
# mlist_min_height = 4
# msg_min_height = 7
# msg_max_height = 10
# mlist_allow_alternate_layout = true
# messages_at_top = true
# mlist_targeting = true
# show_gold_turns = false
# show_game_turns = false
# show_newturn_mark = false
# clear_messages = true
# small_more = true
# show_more = false
# show_inventory_weights = true
# item_stack_summary_minimum = 5
# msg_condense_repeats = false
# msg_condense_short = false
# skill_focus = false
# show_travel_trail = true

##### 3-j Colours (messages and menus) ##########
#
# Food is colour coded by default as follows:
#
# yellow = preferred food ($preferred)
# darkgrey = cannot be eaten at all ($inedible)
# lightred = causes rot ($rot-inducing)
# magenta = dangerous to use, mutagenic ($dangerous, $mutagenic)
# red = considered "evil" by your deity ($evil)
# lightgreen = poisonous ($poisonous)
# brown = contaminated, may cause nausea ($contaminated)
#
# You can change colours by using something like
# $contaminated := magenta

# You can redefine inventory items like this:
# menu_colour ^= inventory:magenta:shillelagh
# or ones in pick-up dialogs:
# menu_colour ^= pickup:green:god gift

# Colouring of messages
# Messages are colour coded as follows:
#
# lightred = really important messages ($danger)
# yellow = significant messages ($warning)
# lightred = item damaged/destroyed ($item_dmg [same as $danger])
# darkgrey = boring, message clutter ($boring)
#

# Notes also use, quite misnamed, menu_colour:
# menu_colour ^= notes:white:Reached XP level

# These lines will suppress extra feedback messages from travel/shift-running.
#
# message_colour ^= mute:warning:comes into view
# message_colour ^= mute:You start (searching|resting)
# message_colour ^= mute:Done searching
# message_colour ^= mute:(HP|Magic) restored
# message_colour ^= mute:warning:Not with.*(in view|monsters around)

# You can also enforce a --more-- prompt for messages

## Avoid wasting turns with aborted actions:
# force_more_message += There are no visible monsters within range
# force_more_message += This wand has no charges

fmm := force_more_message
fmm += You have reached level
fmm += You fall through a shaft
fmm += LOW HITPOINT WARNING
fmm += don't die
fmm += You are starving
fmm += .*orbs? of fire.* comes? into view
fmm += .*pandemonium* comes? into view
fmm += .*lich.* comes? into view
fmm += .*greater mumm.* comes? into view
fmm += .*(s|player) ghost.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Fiend.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Tzitzimitl.* comes? into view
fmm += .*curse skull.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Hell Sentinel.* comes? into view
fmm += You have finished your manual
fmm += Found .* abyssal rune of Zot
force_more_message += (Agnes|Aizul|Antaeus|Asmodeus|Asterion|Azrael|Blork the orc|Boris|Cerebov|Crazy Yiuf|Dispater|Dissolution|Donald|Dowan|Duvessa|Edmund|the Enchantress|Ereshkigal|Erica|Erolcha|Eustachio|Fannar|Frances|Frederick|Gastronok|Geryon|Gloorx Vloq|Grinder|Grum|Harold|Ignacio|Ijyb|Ilsuiw|Jessica|Jorgrun|Jory|Joseph|Josephine|Khufu|Kirke|Lamia|the Lernaean hydra|Lom Lobon|Louise|Mara|Margery|Maud|Maurice|Menkaure|Mennas|Mnoleg|Murray|Natasha|Nergalle|Nessos|Nikola|Norris|Pikel|Plog|Polyphemus|Prince Ribbit|Psyche|Purgy|Robin|Roxanne|the royal jelly|Rupert|Saint Roka|the Serpent of Hell|Sigmund|Snorg|Sonja|Terence|Tiamat|Urug|Vashnia|Wiglaf|Xtahua).*into view

##### 3-k Firing Commands #######################
#
# fire_items_start = a
# fire_order = launcher, return
# fire_order += javelin / tomahawk / stone / rock / net
# fire_order += inscribed

##### 3-l Channels ##############################
#
# channel.multiturn = mute

##### 3-m Inscriptions ##########################
#
# autoinscribe += bad_item.*potion:!q
# autoinscribe += potion.*mutation:!q
# autoinscribe_cursed = false
# autoinscribe += fruit:!e
# show_god_gift = yes|unident|no

##### 3-n Macro related Options #################
#
# flush.failure = false
# flush.command = true
# flush.message = true

##### 3-o Tile related Options ##################
#
# tile_show_items = !?/%=([)x}:|\

# tile_skip_title = true
# tile_menu_icons = false

### The following lines define the colours of various objects within the
### tiles minimap. See options_guide.txt for more details.

# tile_player_col = white
# tile_monster_col = red
# tile_neutral_col = red
# tile_peaceful_col = lightred
# tile_friendly_col = lightred
# tile_plant_col = darkgreen
# tile_item_col = green
# tile_unseen_col = black
# tile_floor_col = lightgrey
# tile_wall_col = darkgrey
# tile_mapped_wall_col = blue
# tile_door_col = brown
# tile_downstairs_col = magenta
# tile_upstairs_col = blue
# tile_feature_col = cyan
# tile_trap_col = yellow
# tile_water_col = grey
# tile_lava_col = grey
# tile_excluded_col = darkcyan
# tile_excl_centre = darkblue
# tile_window_col = yellow

# If Crawl's response rate is too slow, try increasing the update rate.
# tile_update_rate = 1000

# If Crawl is lagging when running or resting, try increasing this number.
# tile_runrest_rate = 100

# tile_key_repeat_delay = 200
# tile_tooltip_ms = 500

# tile_tag_pref = enemy

### Note: setting window, map or font sizes to '0' implies auto-sizing.

# tile_full_screen = true
# tile_window_width = 1024
# tile_window_height = 768
# tile_use_small_layout = true
# tile_map_pixels = 3
# tile_cell_pixels = 32
# tile_filter_scaling = true
# tile_force_overlay = true
# tile_layout_priority = minimap, inventory, gold_turn, command, spell
# tile_layout_priority += ability, monster

# tile_font_crt_file = VeraMono.ttf
# tile_font_crt_size = 15
# tile_font_stat_file = VeraMono.ttf
# tile_font_stat_size = 16
# tile_font_msg_file = VeraMono.ttf
# tile_font_msg_size = 14
# tile_font_tip_file = VeraMono.ttf
# tile_font_tip_size = 15
# tile_font_lbl_file = Vera.ttf
# tile_font_lbl_size = 14
# tile_font_ft_light = false

# tile_show_minihealthbar = false
# tile_show_minimagicbar = false

### WebTiles only

# tile_realtime_anim = true
# tile_display_mode = glyph

##### 4- Dump File #################################################
#
##### 4-a Saving ################################
#
# dump_on_save = false

##### 4-b Items and Kill List ###################
#
# kill_map = friend:you, other:you
# dump_kill_places = (single | all | none)
# dump_kill_breakdowns = true
dump_item_origins = artifacts,ego_arm,ego_weap
dump_item_origin_price = -1
dump_message_count = 20
dump_order = header, hiscore, stats, misc, inventory, skills, spells
dump_order += overview, mutations, messages, screenshot
dump_order += monlist, notes, kills
dump_order += vaults, turns_by_place, action_counts,
# dump_book_spells = false

##### 4-c Notes #################################
#
# user_note_prefix=@@@
# note_hp_percent = 5
# note_skill_levels = 1,5,10,15,27
# note_all_skill_levels = true
# note_skill_max = false
# note_xom_effects = false
note_chat_messages = true
# note_items += rod of, acquirement, preservation, running, of Zot
# note_monsters += orb of fire, ancient lich, Sigmund

##### 5- Miscellaneous #############################################
#
##### 5-a All OS ################################
#
tile_web_mouse_control = false
# wiz_mode = no
# char_set = ascii
# use_fake_player_cursor = false
#
# Translation to use (in 0.11, only badly incomplete descriptions; Polish
# has god messages and a few misc, Greek has sheep).
# language = pl|fr|zh|ko|fi|ru|el|da|li|pt|de|lv|cs|hu
#
# Joke translations (complete!).
# fake_lang = dwarven|jagerkin|kraut|runes|wide|grunt|butt
# langs can stack, seperate with commas
fake_lang = grunt,dwarven

#
# colour.lightgray = black
# colour.lightcyan = cyan
# colour.yellow = brown
#
# show_player_species = true

# See options_guide.txt for the options
# cset, feature, mon_glyph, item_glyph

## Highlight the edge of unexplored terrain.
# feature = explore horizon {',,green}

##### 5-b Windows console #######################
#
# dos_use_background_intensity = true
# background = black

##### 5-c Unix console ##########################
#
# use_fake_cursor = false

##### 5-d Alternative keybinding files ##########
#
# Alternative vi bindings for Dvorak users.
# include = dvorak_command_keys.txt
#
# Override the vi movement keys with a non-command.
# include = no_vi_command_keys.txt

The main thing is that it forces --more-- when uniques and other dangerous poo poo comes into view, defaults manual skill training to on, and sets autofight stop to a higher HP percentage(I know they raised the defaults at some point, but mine's still higher. Paying attention sooner is good for survival.)

You can put a # in front of "fake_lang = grunt,dwarven" if you hate fun. Change "tile_web_mouse_control = false" to "tile_web_mouse_control = true" if you really want to use mouse controls for some reason.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That is way fancier than my stupid poo poo.

code:
#Even the default stop at 50% is too late for a new player to really consider escape options.
autofight_stop = 60
hp_warning = 60
mp_warning = 25
default_manual_training = true

#Makes resting and exploring a little more interactive, IMO
#Also makes you rest before you start an autoexplore
explore_delay = 5
rest_delay = 5
explore_auto_rest = true

#Pay attention when this poo poo happens
force_more_message += calcifying dust hits you
force_more_message += wielding a * of distortion
force_more_message += Xom

#Will force-more every time the listed monsters do anything.
#Monsters are listed for being nontrivial no matter XL.
force_more_message += shining eye * into view
force_more_message += entropy weaver * into view
force_more_message += flayed ghost * into view
force_more_message += sphinx * into view
force_more_message += neqoxec * into view
force_more_message += 's ghost * Dr

#Auto open skills on new char
{
local need_skills_opened = true
function ready()
  if you.turns() == 0 and need_skills_opened then
    need_skills_opened = false
    crawl.sendkeys("m")
  end
end
}

tile_web_mouse_control = false

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exewu
Jun 21, 2009
<br>
I've played for years with one goal, to get a mummy capable of casting firestorm. I've finally got there but I'm a bit at loss at how I should proceed. Any hints? I think I should be aiming for haste/controlled blink?

Oh and seconding that conjure flame is the best spell in the starting book. Even if that was the only spell in there I would take that background.

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.20.0 (tiles) character file.

ExeWu the Scorcher (Mummy Fire Elementalist)       Turns: 90307, Time: 09:28:24

Health: 156/169    AC: 10    Str: 13      XL:     23   Next: 34%
Magic:  30/56      EV: 14    Int: 27 (28) God:    Sif Muna [*****.]
Gold:   1821       SH:  7    Dex: 12      Spells: 15/62 levels left

rFire    + . .     SeeInvis .   K - staff of fire
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   v - +2 buckler
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   U - +2 robe {rC+ rF+}
rPois    8         Spirit   .   z - +0 hat of Astuqony {rCorr Int+3}
rElec    .         Reflect  .   n - scarf {repulsion}
rCorr    +         Harm     .   i - +2 pair of gloves {archery}
MR       ++...                  W - +2 pair of boots {Fly}
Stlth    ++........             D - amulet of regeneration
Regen    0.8/turn               x - ring of Cuohazag {rCorr MP+9 Int+2}
MPRegen  0.4/turn               O - ring of wizardry

@: flying, divine energy, repel missiles
A: no food or potions, fire vulnerability, cold resistance 1, negative energy
resistance 3, torment resistance, unbreathing, in touch with death 1
}: 2/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled
a: Stop Divine Energy, Channel Magic, Forget Spell, Renounce Religion, Stop
Flying

You are on level 2 of the Pits of Slime.
You worship Sif Muna.
Sif Muna is extremely pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 9 branches of the dungeon, and seen 41 of its levels.
You have also visited: Bailey and Ice Cave.

You have collected 5038 gold pieces.
You have spent 3217 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 M - the +7 spear of Vifeamif {flame, rF++}
   (You found it on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It has been specially enchanted to burn those struck by it, causing extra
   injury to most foes and up to half again as much damage against particularly
   susceptible opponents.

It greatly protects you from fire.
Armour
 i - a +2 pair of gloves of archery (worn)
 n - a scarf of repulsion (worn)
 v - a +2 buckler (worn)
 z - the +0 hat of Astuqony (worn) {rCorr Int+3}
   (You found it in an ice cave)   

It affects your intelligence (+3).
   It protects you from acid and corrosion.
 J - a +2 shield of fire resistance
 R - a +2 cloak of invisibility
 U - a +2 robe of resistance (worn)
 W - a +2 pair of boots of flying (worn)
Magical Staves
 K - an uncursed staff of fire (weapon)
Jewellery
 p - an uncursed ring of protection from magic
 x - the ring of Cuohazag (left hand) {rCorr MP+9 Int+2}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 1 of the Vaults)   

[ring of resist corrosion]

It affects your intelligence (+2).
   It affects your magic capacity (+9).
 C - an uncursed ring of see invisible
 D - an amulet of regeneration (around neck)
 H - an uncursed ring of protection from fire
 O - a ring of wizardry (right hand)
Wands
 b - a wand of paralysis (?/24)
 e - a wand of polymorph (?/24)
 f - a wand of scattershot (3/9)
 g - a wand of lightning (10/15)
 m - a wand of disintegration (1/24)
 u - a wand of polymorph (9/24)
 A - a wand of acid (8/15)
 I - a wand of paralysis (15/24)
 N - a wand of digging (3/24)
Scrolls
 c - 21 scrolls of identify
 d - a scroll of summoning
 h - 8 scrolls of magic mapping
 j - a scroll of vulnerability
 l - 4 scrolls of fog
 y - 7 scrolls of teleportation
 E - 8 scrolls of fear
 F - 8 scrolls of remove curse
 Z - a scroll of blinking
Miscellaneous
 a - a lightning rod (4/4)
 k - a crystal ball of energy
 o - a phial of floods
 G - a fan of gales
 L - 2 boxes of beasts
 P - a lamp of fire
 V - a sack of spiders
 Y - 2 phantom mirrors

Skills:
 + Level 11,2 Fighting
 - Level 1,0 Armour
 - Level 4,4 Dodging
 - Level 1,5 Stealth
 + Level 7,0 Shields
 - Level 20,0 Spellcasting
 - Level 20,0 Conjurations
 - Level 20,2 Fire Magic
 - Level 10,0 Invocations

You have 15 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Flame Tongue          Conj/Fire      #####        0%          1    N/A
b - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      ########     0%          3    N/A
c - Sticky Flame          Conj/Fire      ########     0%          4    N/A
d - Fireball              Conj/Fire      ########..   0%          5    N/A
e - Summon Butterflies    Summ           ####....     1%          1    N/A
f - Orb of Destruction    Conj           #######...   1%          7    N/A
h - Bolt of Fire          Conj/Fire      ########..   1%          6    N/A
i - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    N/A
j - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       ####....     1%          2    N/A
l - Ring of Flames        Chrm/Fire      #######...   9%          7    N/A
m - Fire Storm            Conj/Fire      ########..   12%         9    N/A

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (15/15)            Temple (1/1) D:5            Lair (6/6) D:11
 Shoals (4/4) Lair:4        Snake (4/4) Lair:2        Slime (2/5) Lair:5
    Orc (2/2) D:11            Elf (3/3) Orc:2        Vaults (4/5) D:13
  Crypt (0/3) Vaults:2     Depths (0/5) D:15        

Skill      XL: |  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 |
---------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------+-----
Conjurations   |  1  2     3     4     5  7     9 10 11 13 14 15 16       17 18 19 20 | 20,0
Fire Magic     |        3     4     5     7  8  9 10 12 13 14 15 16       17 19 20    | 20,2
Fighting       |                    4  5        6  8       10                      11 | 11,2
Spellcasting   |                    4  5        6  9 10             15 20             | 20,0
Dodging        |                       2     4                                        |  4,4
Invocations    |                       2                 4  6     8 10                | 10,0
Shields        |                             4                    5                 7 |  7,0
Armour         |                                         1                            |  1,0
Stealth        |                                                                      |  1,5

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 | 22-24 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Dagger            |    34 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       ||    34
       Unarmed           |     4 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       ||     4
       Spear             |    49 |    12 |       |       |       |       |       |       ||    61
       Short sword       |       |       |     8 |       |       |       |       |       ||     8
       Staff             |       |       |    15 |       |    75 |   126 |     9 |    19 ||   244
 Fire: Hunting sling     |       |   156 |   210 |   817 |   160 |       |       |       ||  1343
Throw: Stone             |       |       |       |       |     1 |     5 |       |       ||     6
 Cast: Flame Tongue      |    68 |    70 |   169 |   144 |   164 |   121 |     5 |     2 ||   743
       Conjure Flame     |       |     7 |    14 |    56 |    47 |    23 |    17 |     5 ||   169
       Sticky Flame      |       |       |    14 |    74 |   100 |    50 |    54 |    19 ||   311
       Fireball          |       |       |     5 |    59 |   243 |   439 |   306 |   117 ||  1169
       Summon Butterflie |       |       |       |     2 |     6 |     2 |     1 |       ||    11
       Orb of Destructio |       |       |       |       |    73 |   189 |   138 |    24 ||   424
       Iskenderun's Batt |       |       |       |       |    36 |    89 |     1 |       ||   126
       Bolt of Magma     |       |       |       |       |     5 |    25 |       |       ||    30
       Blink             |       |       |       |       |       |     8 |     2 |     1 ||    11
       Swiftness         |       |       |       |       |       |     3 |     5 |     3 ||    11
       Bolt of Fire      |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |    12 |       ||    13
       Ring of Flames    |       |       |       |       |       |       |    14 |     1 ||    15
       Shroud of Golubri |       |       |       |       |       |       |     3 |       ||     3
       Fire Storm        |       |       |       |       |       |       |    99 |    86 ||   185
Invok: Divine Energy     |       |       |     1 |       |       |       |       |       ||     1
       Channel Magic     |       |       |       |       |     2 |     6 |     9 |     5 ||    22
       Forget Spell      |       |       |       |       |       |     2 |     2 |       ||     4
Evoke: Wand              |       |       |     1 |     8 |    10 |     8 |       |       ||    27
       Lightning rod     |       |       |       |       |       |     4 |       |       ||     4
       Fan of gales      |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |     2 |       ||     3
       Lamp of fire      |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
       Phial of floods   |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
       Sack of spiders   |       |       |       |       |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
  Use: Scroll            |     2 |     4 |     3 |    13 |    16 |     9 |     5 |     4 ||    56
 Stab: Distracted        |     1 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       ||     1
Armor: Robe              |    21 |    21 |    56 |    75 |    60 |   124 |    29 |    22 ||   408
Dodge: Dodged            |    62 |    82 |    85 |   168 |   132 |   229 |   117 |    54 ||   929
       Deflected         |       |       |       |       |       |    35 |    51 |    13 ||    99
Block: Buckler           |       |       |       |    59 |    62 |    83 |    46 |    26 ||   276

Exewu fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 1, 2017

• Locked thread