Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

you should have held on to it. You could be rich in 40 years when the exchange you're holding them in steals all your coins

That's what I'm doing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why eat burritos now when you can eat Lamborghini's later

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

why eat burritos now when you can eat Lamborghini's later

My thoughts exactly! Sumptuous.

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005
of course i DID read the part of the OP where it says "Don't invest money in this!!!!" what i'm pondering now is how stupid would it be to drop the change for an nvidia direct 1070 (still $399) and mine buttcoin to hopefully pay for the rest of say a ryzen 5 rig. I'm currently running a core2 q9450 and a gtx 660ti and its gettin pretty drat long in the tooth. I'm a poor but i could proboably swing 400 bux for that card easier than say, the 900 for a complete rig. i suppose in the worst case scenario i'd be stuck with a 1070 with the ancient C2Q if the bubble bursts too soon...

so: kind of silly or a really loving retarded idea?

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Yo so I'm getting in on hopefully fleecing some ponzi scheme retards out of real money too. I have 3 computers with graphics cards (1 x 1080Ti, 2 x 1050Ti) with high uptime for various non-imaginary-money reasons and I'm getting them all running now. I admit I didn't get into the details of how it works because I don't care, just mashed butan when it told me to, and I'm certainly not going to gently caress with overclocking anything.

However I am curious as I am doing the nicehash / coinbase thing in the OP. How often do mined buttcoins show up in your Vault on Coinbase from Nicehash? Is it when it hits a certain amount?

A CRAB IRL fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 29, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

inkwell posted:

of course i DID read the part of the OP where it says "Don't invest money in this!!!!" what i'm pondering now is how stupid would it be to drop the change for an nvidia direct 1070 (still $399) and mine buttcoin to hopefully pay for the rest of say a ryzen 5 rig. I'm currently running a core2 q9450 and a gtx 660ti and its gettin pretty drat long in the tooth. I'm a poor but i could proboably swing 400 bux for that card easier than say, the 900 for a complete rig. i suppose in the worst case scenario i'd be stuck with a 1070 with the ancient C2Q if the bubble bursts too soon...

Probably stupid?

The profit from my 1080ti has gone from $11 to $5 to $8 in the course of like a week so I wouldn't expect any sort of guaranteed return from any mining-related purchase. If you just want to buy a 1070 anyway as an upgrade it might offset some cost but I wouldn't go buying any cards specifically to mine with.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever

inkwell posted:

Good luck finding a 1070 at $399. The supply and market price of all cards which are reasonably good at mining have been severely distorted by crazy miners.

And worse case scenario is if the market crashes and your $399 card is only worth $150 on the resale market as everyone tries to dump their cards at the same time.

Clamps McGraw posted:

Yo so I'm getting in on hopefully fleecing some ponzi scheme retards out of real money too. I have 3 computers with graphics cards (1 x 1080Ti, 2 x 1050Ti) with high uptime for various non-imaginary-money reasons and I'm getting them all running now. I admit I didn't get into the details of how it works because I don't care, just mashed butan when it told me to, and I'm certainly not going to gently caress with overclocking anything.

However I am curious as I am doing the nicehash / coinbase thing in the OP. How often do mined buttcoins show up in your Vault on Coinbase from Nicehash? Is it when it hits a certain amount?

From the nicehash faq (https://www.nicehash.com/index.jsp?utm_source=NHM&p=faq#faqs6)

All payments are fully automatic - as a seller all you have to do is to reach a certain threshold and you'll be then paid automatically.

Sellers are paid on PPS (Pay Per Share) system under the next schedule:
- Once per day for NiceHash-wallet unpaid balances, greater than 0.001 BTC.
- Once per day for external-wallet unpaid balances, greater than 0.1 BTC.
- Once per week for external-wallet unpaid balances, greater than 0.01 BTC.

You can check when exactly you will be paid by clicking the "Check my stats online" link next to your bitcoin wallet address in the client.

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

Fruit Chewy posted:

Probably stupid?

The profit from my 1080ti has gone from $11 to $5 to $8 in the course of like a week so I wouldn't expect any sort of guaranteed return from any mining-related purchase. If you just want to buy a 1070 anyway as an upgrade it might offset some cost but I wouldn't go buying any cards specifically to mine with.

yeah, like i said, buttmining would be more just a means to an end (possibly helping pay for the rest of a computer upgrade) but i guess it looks like i shouldn't count on getting enough of a return to say, replace my old rear end cpu/mobo. welp *sigh* gonna go back to wistfully making partspicker lists to dream about :P

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

inkwell posted:

yeah, like i said, buttmining would be more just a means to an end (possibly helping pay for the rest of a computer upgrade) but i guess it looks like i shouldn't count on getting enough of a return to say, replace my old rear end cpu/mobo. welp *sigh* gonna go back to wistfully making partspicker lists to dream about :P

They are actually also backordered from nvidia direct even so you've got that to take into consideration. That being said the 1080 was like $449 on EVGA B-stock the other day which isn't much more than a 1070FE so you could always keep an eye out for poo poo like that if you're just generally upgrade hunting.

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005

Fruit Chewy posted:

They are actually also backordered from nvidia direct even so you've got that to take into consideration. That being said the 1080 was like $449 on EVGA B-stock the other day which isn't much more than a 1070FE so you could always keep an eye out for poo poo like that if you're just generally upgrade hunting.

ah, cool thanks. whats b-stock?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Is there a preferred, objective site that documents major cryptocurrency scams? A friend is touching the poop, has done no research about the caveats and pitfalls of all cryptocurrency, and is surrounded by people that are all-in to cryptocurrency trading themselves, so there's a poo poo ton of group think going on.

I'm personally not trying to influence the friend one way or another - I just want an objective source of information about all of the bad poo poo that has gone done with regards to cryptocurrency. They already know the (potential) upsides of cryptocurrency.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

bobfather posted:

Is there a preferred, objective site that documents major cryptocurrency scams? A friend is touching the poop, has done no research about the caveats and pitfalls of all cryptocurrency, and is surrounded by people that are all-in to cryptocurrency trading themselves, so there's a poo poo ton of group think going on.

I'm personally not trying to influence the friend one way or another - I just want an objective source of information about all of the bad poo poo that has gone done with regards to cryptocurrency. They already know the (potential) upsides of cryptocurrency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Gox

https://www.cryptocompare.com/coins/guides/the-dao-the-hack-the-soft-fork-and-the-hard-fork/

Holding on exchanges puts your earnings at risk with no recourse. Having a personal wallet is an exercise of securely and safely holding all the keys to the wallet, lose the keys lose your earnings.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Risky Bisquick posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Gox

https://www.cryptocompare.com/coins/guides/the-dao-the-hack-the-soft-fork-and-the-hard-fork/

Holding on exchanges puts your earnings at risk with no recourse. Having a personal wallet is an exercise of securely and safely holding all the keys to the wallet, lose the keys lose your earnings.

Thanks. I'm going to forward this along with some info about mutual funds as alternative investments and pray they educate themselves and diversify in a safe way!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

inkwell posted:

You'll be better off financially waiting for the current batch of 1060s and 1070s to become non-profitable for mining and snatch one up used when they all get dumped.

Actually you would probably be best off upgrading your CPU before the GPU. I was running an AMD FX-4100 with my 1060 and it was horrifically CPU bottlenecked. Hopefully Coffee Lake will cause prices to drop on current generation Intel CPUs.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

inkwell posted:

ah, cool thanks. whats b-stock?

EVGA Website posted:

B-Stock Products are units which may have small scratches, small dents, or noticeable use. B-Stock products are Factory Recertified to meet the performance and reliability of a new product of the same model. B-Stock products do not come with any optional accessories and only include the accessories required to use the product as listed below.

The prices are based on MSRP so they're kind of unattractive for anything other than the newest generation, at least right now.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 29, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
How are people getting these standardized MH/s figures to compare to one another?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

bobfather posted:

Not really. The RationalWiki article hardly gets into the scams and is in serious need of updating. I have the book (now up for preorder !! ) but I'm openly scathing about it. Best recommendation is indeed the Wikipedia articles on this poo poo collapsing, even though the crypto articles on WIkipedia are plagued with promotional advocates.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
B stock is refurb and step ups.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Bought 2 1070s, returned one cause it mined too slow and hot :homebrew:

E:didn't mean to quote

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Shifty Pony posted:

Actually you would probably be best off upgrading your CPU before the GPU. I was running an AMD FX-4100 with my 1060 and it was horrifically CPU bottlenecked. Hopefully Coffee Lake will cause prices to drop on current generation Intel CPUs.

Inkwell, I'm with this guy.
I was running a GTX 660 until January on my 3770K machine, and went to an RX 470 with twice as much VRAM for basically no benefit in Overwatch (on a 60hz TV). I'm sure I'd have seen benefits if I ran Doom on Ultra or something, but I never got around to it before I sold it in the mining craze. I could still happily use my 660 today on many games I like if I hadn't sold it, but your CPU I think is ages below mine, and mine hasn't been state of the art since 2013.

Get your Ryzen 5 up and going, and buy a GPU for Black Friday deals or something. Don't be like me: the guy on iGPU wishing for a $350 1070 but willing to bite on a $375 one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
FX is loving terrible, CMT isn't a real core, it's more like a hyperthread so you're basically running on the circa-2012 AMD version of an i3.

I mean it's your money or whatever but if you're gaming and you want more frames that should be first on your list, I loving guarantee you're horrifically bottlenecked on your CPU.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You got the posts mixed up. The guy whose looking at upgrading is running an old Intel quad core Yorkdale from 2008, and wants to put a 1070 FE into it.

That's almost this bad.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I have an i7-7700 now. It was quite the jump.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Seems like 1070s are basically 1/2 power r9 390s at hashing, less heat/noise too. They will also survive DAGageddon unlike the RX series. Selling the R9 390 for $325 tomorrow, no ebay/pp fees involved.

ed: I'm hashing in perfect silence...

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 30, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah the 1070 is a good mining card, seems to get more out of overclocking than my 1080 Ti does too.

Vega in its current form on the other hand is poo poo, only 30MH/s for Eth and it can't even run anything else yet.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah the 1070 is a good mining card, seems to get more out of overclocking than my 1080 Ti does too.

Vega in its current form on the other hand is poo poo, only 30MH/s for Eth and it can't even run anything else yet.

That's also what a Fury puts out.

Ethereum is a memory-hard algorithm, memory speed isn't the only thing that affects it but it's a major contributor. A lot of miners underclock core and overclock memory. The fact that the processor is 1.5x as fast as Fiji probably doesn't matter as much as the fact that it's got the same VRAM bandwidth.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why are people paying over retail for 3rd party 1070's when the FE from the nvidia store is in stock and always been in stock through all the shortages.

The 25% more you would pay retail for an open air cooler doesnt give you 25% more mining performance.

I just sold my 1070FE to someone on Craigslist who doesnt realize they arent hard to get.

*edit oh wait they say in stock on the main page but backordered in cart. Still though, estimated ship date: 6/30/17 and you can actually order them without having to fight all the bots on newegg

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 30, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

How does it make you feel, taking advantage of these dumb buttminers?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

From what I've seen even with the recovery in price, the difficulty increased and I'm getting like 30% less than before last week... kind of not worth it

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

From what I've seen even with the recovery in price, the difficulty increased and I'm getting like 30% less than before last week... kind of not worth it

you just need to spend 700 on another 1080 ti. Then your daily income will be great, nevermind the added investment. Do you not have faith in cryptocurrency or something?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Fauxtool posted:

you just need to spend 700 on another 1080 ti. Then your daily income will be great, nevermind the added investment. Do you not have faith in cryptocurrency or something?

I would if I could still triple SLI

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I already have all of my computers stuffed with cards, guess it's warehouse rental time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bobfather posted:

I think most people have just been watching /r/buttcoin and the yospos thread for the stream of comedy gold rather than actually collecting and archiving any of this poo poo like on a wiki or something.

Like just going to /r/buttcoin right now here are some of the headlines

• "Turns out $70,000,000 ICO #219 Eos.io just did a quick & dirty github copy from other altcoin"
  • A link to a pump+dump post
  • A link to a coingeek article claiming that noted conman Craig Wright "is the world’s foremost leading expert on cyber security"
  • A link to a blog post describing a fun new attack vector against smart contracts that will require patching to fix, which is super bad because smart contracts are intended to be unpatchable
  • A link to a reddit post where someone complains about losing $200k because they sent it to Coinbase via overnight ACH, which Coinbase does not officially support
  • A link reminding everyone that fake news of a car crash wiped out 20% of Ethereum's value overnight
  • A fun reminder of what a traditional bubble looks like

None of this is an objective analysis of scams in cryptocurrency or whatever, but it's a reasonable way of glimpsing what's going on. The bigger scams and thefts you can probably find headlines on

nerox
May 20, 2001

MaxxBot posted:

I already have all of my computers stuffed with cards, guess it's warehouse rental time.

Rental? I'm still waiting on the true believer "I just bought one acre of land and going to build a custom cooled mining warehouse!" post.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
So high $/BTC is good and low is also good?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Fauxtool posted:

why are people paying over retail for 3rd party 1070's when the FE from the nvidia store is in stock and always been in stock through all the shortages.

The 25% more you would pay retail for an open air cooler doesnt give you 25% more mining performance.

I just sold my 1070FE to someone on Craigslist who doesnt realize they arent hard to get.

*edit oh wait they say in stock on the main page but backordered in cart. Still though, estimated ship date: 6/30/17 and you can actually order them without having to fight all the bots on newegg

Yeah the nvidia stock is a lie. That ship date of 6/30 was the ship date last week. At least they tell you irs backordered now!

The people handling that (digitalriver?) kind of suck

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Palladium posted:

Rule of Acquisition #34: War is good for business
Rule of Acquisition #35: Peace is good for business

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Palladium posted:

All things work together for good to them that love Bitcoin.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

QuarkJets posted:

Like just going to /r/buttcoin right now here are some of the headlines
A fun reminder of what a traditional bubble looks like

I do love the edit to the standard chart one of the commenters made:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCcBGX0E8ns&t=17s

Whats up baby, come visit my bedroo... oops this is the mining room sorry

• Locked thread