Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Amante posted:

It's Funtended (TM)
:boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Secret World Legends: Funintended Comsequences

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Sekenr posted:

Heh. This is actually something I like about this game, that often you aren't doing missions for the questgiver, you just talk and maybe you heard something you want to check out, or info related to a larger mission.

This is a quality post that makes a great point. The writing in this game really is well above average. I actually even watch most of the cut scenes.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The voice acting and writing are absolutely top notch and I will give every credit where its due. Its just...Funcom.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Can I get an invite into the Cool Kids Cabal. IGN is HughGRect. TIA.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
PvP reward bags give anima shards if you're running low. Please queue, it will make everyone happy.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The voice acting and writing are absolutely top notch and I will give every credit where its due. Its just...Funcom.

Ok now I am totally loving triggered. This crew didn't loving make that good poo poo.

Ragnar Tornquist and Joel Bylos are the reason for all of that and they are no longer on the staff for SWL. The carrot and stick method here is that if we all play SWL and give them enough money then they will make more game and continue the story where they left off in TSW. The problem being is that everyone and everything that made the story enjoyable five years ago is loving gone. Now we got guys that took the old version of TSW and released this and told us it was better and we go from here.

Here is a small list of things that TSW has that is missing from SWL.
- A Massive amount of weapon skills and passives (525+ AUX) that can synergise with skills and passives from other weapons. (IE Chain attacks from pistols could be buffed with chain attack passives from Elementalism)
- Chainsaws, Rocket Launchers, Flamethrowers, Whips, Quantum Brace.
- A large array of weapon skins (http://legacy.tswdb.com/cosmetics/weapon-skins)
- Nightmare Dungeons
- A Degree of difficulty (If you built your character like a dumbass you could be living in Kingsmouth for a day or two to gather enough AP/SP to get yourself out of your hole)
- No levels, Gain AP and SP at a steady constant pace.
- Minecraft Crafting system that you could us to build the exact loving thing you wanted to have.
- A Working Auction house (But total hosed economy)
- You could expand you inventory space to 200 slots using in game standard currency (Pax) And your bank to another 200 slots using game standard currency.
- Dungeons gave xp every time you ran them.
- Dungeons dropped actual loot items every time you ran them.
- Game cost 30 bucks with no sub, all cash shop items were cosmetic, Large expansions such as Tokyo and optional Mission Packs were paid dlc addons.
- Faction based missions and cutscenes.
- Multiple pvp battleground areas.
- Raids

In return for losing all that here is what we gained over the original TSW.
- We have the privilege to give funcom our loving bank accounts to a shady transaction host.
- Every loving system in the game is monetized because hey all the mobile games are kicking it off making the big bucks doing it.
- A locked crosshair.
- A Combat system they say is new and improved but is really in every way poorly thought out and terrible. (Hey if you don't slot any grenade abilities with Assault Rifle you will just loving explode after a short delay whenever you use an ability.)
- The total loving lie that the story will continue with Secret World Legends.
- We can now level from 1 to 50 for no loving reason because levels.
- New meltdown your poo poo into better poo poo system.
- Dungeon loot now have keys and give you essence for upgrading your poo poo in the slag window instead of talismans or weapons. (Weapon drops in dungeons are a myth that didn't come true in this game.)
- loving Badr(T Shirt spurg) is running the Goon Cabal now.

So the breakdown of it is that they made a game with a buggy in house engine called The Secret World that flew under the radar for years due to zero marketing effort and an absolute minimum of content added over time. Funcom then went into a near bankrupt state for years where they fired all their development staff and dabbled in insider trading until Joel Bylos grabbed what few programmers and artists were left at the company and retrained them into Unreal engine ("The Park" was literally their in house Unreal training project). After they completed their traning with a functional engine they went off to create Conan Exiles which surpisingly made Funcom some money. But money at Funcom is like chumming the waters and they blew it all on hookers and blow and realized they have none left. They quickly run down the street to an internet cafe and grab the finest three losers they could get their hands on and told them to make money happen. The modders had the garbage idea to take shovels and dig up The Secret World's corpse from its grave and rip every one of its limbs off and set them neatly into an individual compartment of a vending machine (Some limbs and bones were lost during this process but they assured the customers that they will find them again some day). They then modded the combat down and added levels because levels to finally drop that machine on to the nearest street corner just outside of Valve's office saying that next month they are gonna move it into the office lounge and its gonna be a big hit. They also told people that enjoyed the corpse before it was cool that if they just keep putting money into the machine they will make new bigger machine sometime if they feel like it.

If you got though this loving rant then I present you with this challenge. Find one single new 3D Art Asset they created for SWL
(Fun fact: The dungeon chests were part of an Orachi office in Tokyo so don't even try to suggest that or anything in the new format for Agartha because they moved a fuckton of Transylvania trash heap assets over there for the vendors)

I say look for a new art asset because they are talking about adding more game to the game but they seriously don't have anyone on payroll that can do it. The entire remaining staff moved over to Unreal Engine and Conan Exiles and look at all the loving openings that appeared in the past month @ http://jobs.funcom.com/. If they filled all of those positions and then somehow trained them on the in house engine SWL uses they could scrape a bit of content to add to the game by earliest six months. The second this Vending Machine hits Steam it is totally loving dead. Steam users are gonna mash that loving negative button, demand refunds somehow, and create a massive amount of bad press of which there is no return.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 29, 2017

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

On a separate note this crew has no idea about the lore for this game and they put the loving Blajini mole people and others into the reworked Agartha where they can't possibly be allowed. Also all the paths are now jump pads and yet Agartha is policed by massive Third Age robots that can no longer navigate Agartha.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Drinkfist posted:

Also all the paths are now jump pads and yet Agartha is policed by massive Third Age robots that can no longer navigate Agartha.

remember when the conductor gives you a teleportation sphere the moment you enter Agartha

and how Agartha is a teleportation nexus

I bet maybe those massive Third Age robots are not constrained as foot traffic is

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Drinkfist posted:

On a separate note this crew has no idea about the lore for this game and they put the loving Blajini mole people and others into the reworked Agartha where they can't possibly be allowed. Also all the paths are now jump pads and yet Agartha is policed by massive Third Age robots that can no longer navigate Agartha.

Also it's a tree so big it would put out so much oxygen so as to make the Agarthan atmosphere flammable. What gives, Funcom?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Nitpicks and all, but some of that lore poo poo is really irritating for sure. Some of the new story quests in Solomon Island have newly created documents which literally have Phoenician letterhead that says their name. Nice "secret" society, jerkoffs!

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Amante posted:

Nitpicks and all, but some of that lore poo poo is really irritating for sure. Some of the new story quests in Solomon Island have newly created documents which literally have Phoenician letterhead that says their name. Nice "secret" society, jerkoffs!

were there new story quests? I didn't notice anything new. I hadn't played Dawning of an Endless Night since original release, though.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

crawlkill posted:

were there new story quests? I didn't notice anything new. I hadn't played Dawning of an Endless Night since original release, though.
There's a few new story quests to bridge gaps or improve flow, like the aforementioned Phoenician one in Savage Coast.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Amante posted:

There's a few new story quests to bridge gaps or improve flow, like the aforementioned Phoenician one in Savage Coast.

which one are you referring to? there were Savage Coast Phoenician missions in the original, they were part of Dawning and there was the Taking the Purple mission from Jack Wolf With a Wolf Which Might Not Be a Wolf.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
So I made an elemental + blade lady but I'm not loving it. Blade seems like it's boring / weak, and I need to spend a ton of hotbar slots on it. What would pair well with elemental, or should I restart? I spent most of my points in elemental. Only level 17.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Mandatory viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiEKJ0_K9nY

I have 529 hours in Old TSW and I really want Legends to reinvigorate new player interest otherwise it's just going to be a game in stasis again.

But I have to agree with everything being said in that video.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DancingShade posted:

Mandatory viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiEKJ0_K9nY

I have 529 hours in Old TSW and I really want Legends to reinvigorate new player interest otherwise it's just going to be a game in stasis again.

But I have to agree with everything being said in that video.

:yeah:

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The new business model was designed by Kirsten Geary.

Yue
Jun 3, 2012

CUT, CUT, CUT! I said MORE prancing, damnit!
You know what I remember? When they first introduced the cosmetic loot boxes and there was outcry on the forums that the game was being monetized into the ground.

Do you remember what the community managers said?

Some Funcom Guy That Probably Doesn't Work There Anymore posted:

At least you can't buy loot on the cash shop, or at least we aren't selling you keys to unlock boxes you get in the game.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The new business model was designed by Kirsten Geary.
We're Funcom... and we're not done falling on our faces.

Amante fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 29, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Amante posted:

We're Funcom... and we're not done.

No they're done. They blew it.

Maybe they can un-gently caress it but... yeah.

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
Speaking of hosed, the launcher claims the server is down, but I'm in-game now (after closing the launcher twice because I thought the server was actually down :allears: )

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Drinkfist posted:

The problem being is that everyone and everything that made the story enjoyable five years ago is loving gone.

Didn't they say a long time ago that the second season (or whatever the next several issues would have been) and most of the third had already been written? I wonder how badly they could flub implementing those story lines.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ossipago posted:

Didn't they say a long time ago that the second season (or whatever the next several issues would have been) and most of the third had already been written? I wonder how badly they could flub implementing those story lines.

Imagine a fan made version of Blade Runner made by some amateurs who had never seen the original movie, just a copy of the script.

Ashenden
Feb 6, 2013

Ossipago posted:

Considering it seems they didn't make any new 3d assets, record any new voice lines, or even add any new animations as far as I can tell? I'd guess really loving badly.

The gross monetization is already killing my will to play.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That's not how grenades work.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

DancingShade posted:

Imagine a fan made version of Blade Runner made by some amateurs who had never seen the original movie, just a copy of the script.

I'd say it will be like Highlander 2 compared to the original.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If Joel was still there we could make A Star Wars prequels comparison. Or maybe we couldn't because it wouldn't be as bad???

e: Watching videos and the reticle combat looks like a MESS in mob combat. Trying to focus fire looks very difficult now.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Drinkfist posted:

Here is a small list of things that TSW has that is missing from SWL.
- A Massive amount of weapon skills and passives (525+ AUX) that can synergise with skills and passives from other weapons. (IE Chain attacks from pistols could be buffed with chain attack passives from Elementalism)
- Chainsaws, Rocket Launchers, Flamethrowers, Whips, Quantum Brace.
- A large array of weapon skins (http://legacy.tswdb.com/cosmetics/weapon-skins)
- Nightmare Dungeons
- A Degree of difficulty (If you built your character like a dumbass you could be living in Kingsmouth for a day or two to gather enough AP/SP to get yourself out of your hole)
- Minecraft Crafting system that you could us to build the exact loving thing you wanted to have.

Most of your :words: are fine criticisms of the new game or praise of the old except for this. The combat in the old system was fine for nerdy spergelords, but was poorly designed for mass appeal. And as a subscription game, it needed to have mass appeal.

- The skill wheel allowed you to fail. That you could make a build that just didn't work was a failure in design. That there were trap abilities that were so lovely that no one should ever buy them is bad design.
- Combat mechanics didn't vary enough between weapons. The entire game was about spamming openers until you could use a finisher with a side-plot of stacking debufs.
- While the crafting system allowed you to build the type of weapon/talisman you wanted, the material system was a mess. It needed drastic simplification in some regards and enhanced capabilities in others. I actually made some suggestions in Beta around this and got a response from Ragnar himself to the point of, "oh, that would have been a good idea, but it's too late to change it now."

The people that loved TSW really loved those mechanics, but they weren't fun and they turned a lot of new players off.

SWL is a mess, for sure and the combat system still sucks, but it's a slight improvement over their first attempt.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

I'm of the opinion that the core gameplay and mechanics of TSW were actually tremendous fun, assuming you were a fan of the genre and not someone new to it.

The bigger problems:
1> The game did a tremendously poor job of actually explaining its mechanics, so only patient and motivated players learned them over time.
2> They went on to add grindy mechanics like augments (meh) and AEGIS (UGH) that were... not so well designed.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
What I really don't like about SWL now is, after not liking trickster (Pistol/Chaos) much:
If I want to switch to a different weapon I can either start grinding AP and SP at a glacier rate for ages before I can really switch over to the new weapon, or I can start a new character and do that loving zombie town again. I already did Zombietown a couple of times, and it's basically all I ever did so far in Secret World (never got past it in my attempts over the year to try TSW).

I really wish there was a respec of some kind. I'd even pay money for it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

I really wish there was a respec of some kind. I'd even pay money for it.

Don't loving say that too loud. Though I'm floored, considering how nickel and dime they've been, that it isn't already an option to pay money for.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Let's be honest... if the two CS students that make up their coding team were competent, Funcom would've already monetized respeccing. Hooray for Funcompetence?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Never change, drinkfist. We need more gbs in our mmohmo.

I was talking about the ah in discord last night and glaucon says they know what's causing the weapon affixes to break the search. It's been driving me nuts not being able to filter for just mk3 weapons and being stuck in an ocean of mk1s with a cap to the number of results and no pagination. Hopefully the fix is coming soon.

On the upside I didn't realize that the first weapon and talisman to hit 20 gave a free dupe (thought it was just the first item) so I've got two blues and I'm loving the jump in power. It's probably contributing to the feeling of ease in the game, though, since I'm op as poo poo now and I'm blowing through kingsmouth mobs.

E: someone on discord did a fan art of my character. Dude is loving skilled.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 29, 2017

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

kayakyakr posted:

Most of your :words: are fine criticisms of the new game or praise of the old except for this. The combat in the old system was fine for nerdy spergelords, but was poorly designed for mass appeal. And as a subscription game, it needed to have mass appeal.

- The skill wheel allowed you to fail. That you could make a build that just didn't work was a failure in design. That there were trap abilities that were so lovely that no one should ever buy them is bad design.
- Combat mechanics didn't vary enough between weapons. The entire game was about spamming openers until you could use a finisher with a side-plot of stacking debufs.
- While the crafting system allowed you to build the type of weapon/talisman you wanted, the material system was a mess. It needed drastic simplification in some regards and enhanced capabilities in others. I actually made some suggestions in Beta around this and got a response from Ragnar himself to the point of, "oh, that would have been a good idea, but it's too late to change it now."

The people that loved TSW really loved those mechanics, but they weren't fun and they turned a lot of new players off.

SWL is a mess, for sure and the combat system still sucks, but it's a slight improvement over their first attempt.

I loved TSW but hated combat. There are 6 buttons AND you had to move and dodge all the time, its terrible fingercurling crap. Maybe its because I went with chaos-pistols which don't have downsides like grenade exploding but I definitely prefer the new combat.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

New Back to the Future concept art looking solid, Nixon.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Hmm, I don't know what you guys are talking about... I love the new combat system. It seems more fluid, and pointing at what you want to hit is the perfect system. The new simplified skills system is pretty great too. I wasn't the most dedicated player of TSW before, and I always was confused by the skills... too much choice.

I admit, they went a little heavy-handed on the monetization though. They could stand to back off on that a bit.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I think a lot of the bad of the monetization comes with how they are presenting it, actually. With the whole feature of converting aurum to marks and vice versa, they could easily hide some of the most in-your-face aspects of the money grabbing. An example for this are the sprint speed updates. Asking marks for it seems natural, after all, you get those by playing. But eventually they ask for aurum. Now a free player will just exchange marks for the aurum, sure. But since they're going to do that, why not just ask for a somewhat similar price of marks? Someone who would want to skip the grind could just buy it anyway. But this way it would be more cleverly hidden that they're asking for money at every turn.

This seems to be the major problem: Argatha cashes, sprints, inventory upgrades, etc. Having the option to still do these things with aurum is fine, but players having to basically click a "I don't want to spend money rn" button every turn is what makes people so angry about the whole thing.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's not that they mask their premium purchases, it's that they aggressively hamstring anyone who doesn't play ball. I know that's the whole point of F2P and indeed how the model makes money, but this seems far worse than most of the ones I've seen or played. And those are usually the successful ones that last more than a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Meallan posted:

I think a lot of the bad of the monetization comes with how they are presenting it, actually. With the whole feature of converting aurum to marks and vice versa, they could easily hide some of the most in-your-face aspects of the money grabbing. An example for this are the sprint speed updates. Asking marks for it seems natural, after all, you get those by playing. But eventually they ask for aurum. Now a free player will just exchange marks for the aurum, sure. But since they're going to do that, why not just ask for a somewhat similar price of marks? Someone who would want to skip the grind could just buy it anyway. But this way it would be more cleverly hidden that they're asking for money at every turn.

This seems to be the major problem: Argatha cashes, sprints, inventory upgrades, etc. Having the option to still do these things with aurum is fine, but players having to basically click a "I don't want to spend money rn" button every turn is what makes people so angry about the whole thing.

"People dont mind being raped with a rusty spatula if you don't remind them you're doing it!"