Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

DirtyRobot posted:

I had the exact same reaction to Ornamented Death's post, especially given the context of it being a reply to a post about how poo poo N0S4A2 is, and suggesting this is comparable to the relative qualities of Stephen's short vs. long fiction

Then learn to read I guess?

This:

nate fisher posted:

Am I the only person who thinks Joe Hill has gotten worst with every book? Seriously novel wise Heat-Shaped Box > (or close to even) Horns > NOS4A2 > The Fireman. I was a big Joe Hill fan after Horns, but I found NOS4A2 (while very compelling at times) just pretty average in the end. The Fireman started out strong, but turned into a slog. I could care less in the end. I have lost my faith in Joe Hill.

Also 20th Century Ghost is better than any of his novels.

does not say what you seem to think it says, unless you equate things being average to them actually being poo poo, and that's the post I was replying to.

And yeah, I think both Hill and King are better at writing short fiction than novels (of any length really, but the disparity becomes more and more apparent the larger the page count). That doesn't mean I think their novels are poo poo. I quite like all the novels BiggerBoat listed (though I vastly prefer the original text of The Stand), but if forced to choose, I'd pick (most) any of King's collections over any of his novels.

I shouldn't be surprised by this exchange, the prevailing opinion on both SA and the internet in general is that if you don't think something is the greatest ever, then you must automatically think it's complete garbage; there's no room for a more nuanced opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Anytime long books by King come up I remember him saying in On Writing that three months is about the average time it should take to write any novel, even a long one. Then the back page of IT says it took him 4 years.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Anytime long books by King come up I remember him saying in On Writing that three months is about the average time it should take to write any novel, even a long one. Then the back page of IT says it took him 4 years.

The best part of On Writing was the bit about adverb usage.

gently caress you dadly

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
Sissy Spacek just signed to star in the upcoming Hulu series "Castle Rock".
http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/26/castle-rock-sissy-spacek-jane-levy/

Carrie still looks drat good.

I'm looking forward to this. It's not based on a particular story, but includes characters who've popped up in Castle Rock over the years.

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 27, 2017

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

It's not a Stephen King book unless there's 2-3 "sexy" paragraphs that make you feel embarrassed for reading it though

Makes me think of one line in one book in particular:

"I left something for you upstairs, baby" :gerty:

Anyone remember that?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

Makes me think of one line in one book in particular:

"I left something for you upstairs, baby" :gerty:

Anyone remember that?

Seems like Pet Sematary

Someone recc'd a podcast that has a half hour segment every episode just dedicated to making you upset about his sex scenes.

https://consequenceofsound.net/podcasts/the-losers-club/

I've only gotten through a couple, they're long winded.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
NOS4A2 sagged sometimes, but I tore through it in like two days. It was best when it was focusing on the villains, and the heroes interactions with them.

Also, when Vic gets her hands on ANFO and says "he wants it to be Christmas every day, but I'll give him the loving 4th of July" it was so loving cheesy but so loving awesome.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

syscall girl posted:

Get the Steven Weber audiobook and put it on your phone

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Now that I've actually read it I can officially chime in on the preteen orgy in IT: It's truly, truly awful and unneeded, but it's also two pages in an otherwise spectacular 1000+ page book. It didn't overwhelm or ruin the joy of reading the book at all.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its really loving weird and out of nowhere

Like if the Hobbit had a sudden moment when the Dwarfs all have a fisting orgy people would go "Hey a new Hobbit movie is coming out, are they gonna do that fisting scene?"

Everyone is always creeped out by the sewer orgy scene. Just imagine how poor Steven Weber felt having to read it aloud.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Everyone is always creeped out by the sewer orgy scene. Just imagine how poor Steven Weber felt having to read it aloud.

I actually put a fair amount of thought into that.

I was moving at the time so mostly getting furniture and boxes sorted. If I heard him read certain parts aloud I blocked them out with good old fashioned toe-stubs and such.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
And on The Mist front serious no messing about spoiler here Mary Bacon ...
Mrs. Carmody (1 episode, 2017)

I'm glad they're remaking it, but that seemed like an odd choice.

Seriously don't mouse-over the spoiler there though if you haven't seen Spike Mist episode 1

edit just to prove my point Isiah Whitlock Jr. ...
Gus Redman / ... (9 episodes, 2017)

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 28, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ornamented Death posted:

Then learn to read I guess?

And yeah, I think both Hill and King are better at writing short fiction than novels (of any length really, but the disparity becomes more and more apparent the larger the page count). That doesn't mean I think their novels are poo poo. I quite like all the novels BiggerBoat listed (though I vastly prefer the original text of The Stand), but if forced to choose, I'd pick (most) any of King's collections over any of his novels.

I shouldn't be surprised by this exchange, the prevailing opinion on both SA and the internet in general is that if you don't think something is the greatest ever, then you must automatically think it's complete garbage; there's no room for a more nuanced opinion.

Ok, dude. Calm down. Apparently I wasn't the only one who misinterpreted your meaning. Your clarification was fine without all the "typical SA goons, emirite?" meltdown.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BiggerBoat posted:

Ok, dude. Calm down. Apparently I wasn't the only one who misinterpreted your meaning. Your clarification was fine without all the "typical SA goons, emirite?" meltdown.

No, but you were the one to immediately jump to putting words in my mouth. Perhaps take your own advice and calm down when someone maybe doesn't have the same opinion as you*?

*Which wasn't even the case, but reading is too hard for this subforum about books :v:.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

No, but you were the one to immediately jump to putting words in my mouth. Perhaps take your own advice and calm down when someone maybe doesn't have the same opinion as you*?

*Which wasn't even the case, but reading is too hard for this subforum about books :v:.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I asked a question and pointed out a few really long King works that are regarded amongst his best work in reference to your assertion that he writes short stories better better than tomes.

But good job being a better reader than the rest of us dumb asses on this subforumI guess. You seem like a fun guy.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Ornamented Death posted:

Jesus, come back once your cycle settles down.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

504 posted:

Jesus, come back once your Cycle of the Werewolf settles down.

There. I King'ed that up for you.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Canuckistan posted:

There. I King'ed that up for you.

Very classy.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

BEtween Revival and 11/22/63 which should I read?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

oldpainless posted:

11/22/63 is his best novel in years, probably since the accident.

I really like Revival myself, but some people hate the ending. (Shocker!)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thanks friends.

guess i have a new easy read book

quit getting mad about nuance you nerds.

get mad about mordred in dark tower ffs.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

oldpainless posted:

They're both good. 11/22/63 is better but there's a huge section a little past half way that really, really loving drags. I skimmed a lot of it. Revival has the typical problem with the ending sort of going off the rails but I remember enjoying it.

At the risk of angering Ornamated Death, I'd add "Under the Dome" as another one of King's longer books that's also really good. I'd forgotten that one. I guess if you count the Dark Tower stuff as one long book, you could throw those in as well. I've never read any of them but have heard mostly good things.

I like King's short story work a lot but I'm not sure if the hit to miss ratio is higher than his epics. I think it might seem that way because with short stories, if one is kinda "meh", it's over so fast you can move on to the next one so you kind of forget the average ones while the great ones remain really memorable. I still think about that one with the outhouse and the one with the "snake finger" in the bathroom sink.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sure, you could have made that post without taking a shot at me by again insinuating I said something I didn't (despite a clear explanation of what I meant), but where's the fun in that?

Also yes, "The Finger" is a great little story.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

11/22/63 is his best novel in years, probably since the accident.

I really like Revival myself, but some people hate the ending. (Shocker!)

It's a tough choice.

11/22/63 is his boomer nostalgia book. He'd been working on it since before he was a writer.

But Revival is just bonkers.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Revival is haunting in its bleakness. I think it's great, because it builds a sense of dread in a way similar to that seen in Pet Sematary. There's this sense of inevitability throughout the whole thing.

But unlike Pet Sematary, which ratchets up the tension throughout, Revival hordes the revelation until the very end. Revival meanders, never too far, but it certainly lets you relax and think that maybe, this time, everything will be okay.

I think 11/22/63 is better overall, but the last few chapters of Revival haunt me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
DIdn't 11/22/63 slow down in the middle because of a protracted relationship between teachers?

Peak King right there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

syscall girl posted:

DIdn't 11/22/63 slow down in the middle because of a protracted relationship between teachers?

Peak King right there.

yep.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't think I've ever read Revival.

Oh - wait. Is that the one about the pastor? If so, I read it but don't remember much about it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Sure, you could have made that post without taking a shot at me by again insinuating I said something I didn't (despite a clear explanation of what I meant), but where's the fun in that?

Also yes, "The Finger" is a great little story.

Sorry dude. It's because I can't read.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

oldpainless posted:

Read 11/22/63 first, but both are the best books he's written since the accident. Revival is simple but as punchy, pulpy, compact, and effective as something he would have written in the late seventies.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

syscall girl posted:

Peak King right there.

That was the best part.

Revival is one of the few King books where I wish he had included more character information. And I love the ending. Bleak as gently caress.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

RC and Moon Pie posted:

That was the best part.

Revival is one of the few King books where I wish he had included more character information. And I love the ending. Bleak as gently caress.

Totally agree on both points. The teachers section was the best part (I found the stuff after was the weakest part), and the ending of Revival was amazing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

That was the best part.

Yeah I actually liked it too but I figured people were hating it for the same reason they do Wizard and Glass

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Toss another vote on the "read both" pile, but I'll say you should read Revival first and then 11/22/63. Both are great, both are strongly character focused, but Revival was a quicker read (for me) and had a spectacular ending. 11/22/63's ending made me tear up a bit, though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Thanks for the opinions everyone

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

oldpainless posted:

Thanks for the opinions everyone

more like oldnotthankless

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Apes-Ma posted:

Firestarter is the perfect film to remake as the original kinda wastes the premise and botches the execution. It's just flatly directed and the soundtrack does most of the heavy lifting. George C. Scott is great as the villain, though.

What I really want is a Firestarter film in the vein of Beyond The Black Rainbow or Under The Skin, but that's probably never going to happen.

Yeah I really hope they have good people on this. Firestarter is like a top 3 King favorite of mine and I think it might be his single most tightly plotted book, written at a time when he might have been close the absolute peak of his abilities.

I still think 'Salem's Lot has the potential to be a really great horror film also. I do think that a huge portion of the book is about the town, the corruption and death of the town that had taken root long before Barlow and company even showed up and how this made it ripe for his brand of evil.

If King redid that story today, Barlow would probably show up in some dying Rust Belt MAGA voting town.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The middle part of 11/22/63 is absolutely essential to the book, the main conflict of the story is Jake's desire to complete his mission while also maintaining his relationship with Sadie

I just finished re-reading the book and I think it might be my favourite King novel

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

USMC_Karl posted:

11/22/63's ending made me tear up a bit, though.

I've read it three or four times so far, and it always makes me tear up at the same 3 spots. Even though I know by now not to let it get to me, then Bam! every time. Not the most typical reaction to one of his books.

I found the Fort Worth section to be the slowest and least necessary to the story.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

ConfusedUs posted:

Revival is haunting in its bleakness. I think it's great, because it builds a sense of dread in a way similar to that seen in Pet Sematary. There's this sense of inevitability throughout the whole thing.

But unlike Pet Sematary, which ratchets up the tension throughout, Revival hordes the revelation until the very end. Revival meanders, never too far, but it certainly lets you relax and think that maybe, this time, everything will be okay.

I think 11/22/63 is better overall, but the last few chapters of Revival haunt me.

Holy smokes, that's one hell of a sell, dude. I wasn't planning on buying any more books for a while, but I guess I'll be picking this up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

USMC_Karl posted:

....Revival was a quicker read (for me) and had a spectacular ending. 11/22/63's ending made me tear up a bit, though.

People keep lauding the ending to Revival so maybe I'm conflating it with a different book. I read it in the midst of a King binge so that's possible but didn't Revival end with a giant ant monster or something crawling through a dimensional portal or something like that? Or was that Black House I'm thinking of?"

Zwabu posted:

I still think 'Salem's Lot has the potential to be a really great horror film also.

I thought the TV series was surprisingly good for its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

A Typical Goon posted:

The middle part of 11/22/63 is absolutely essential to the book, the main conflict of the story is Jake's desire to complete his mission while also maintaining his relationship with Sadie

I just finished re-reading the book and I think it might be my favourite King novel

I've read King since the early eighties and felt like he had completely lost the plot well before the accident, to say nothing of the disastrous dreck that followed the accident. 11/22/63 might now be my absolute favorite book by him as well. It's actually kind of unbelievable that he pulled it off.