Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its like 8 episodes and a placeholder for Agents of Shield. Its probably fine, sink or swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I am 100% confident this will get cancelled mid-season

It's only eight episodes. Pretty sure they're all in the can by now.

AoS picks up the time slot in Jan.

e: ^ fb :argh:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

That's my main concern. I have no idea HOW they could make Medusa work on a limited TV budget and that trailer doesn't give any sign of it. They also don't show Crystal's powers, Triton underwater, or Black Bolt doing anything except making a car flip. All we really see is Karnak and Gorgon hitting stuff. So its a big question as to how they do the super powers and I'm a little worried that they didn't include some good shot in the trailer because they all look bad.

But like, I'm content to wait and see.

I was about to say "maybe they should just make a Karnak series because his comic book was pretty good", but then I remember that the showrunner was also responsible for Iron Fist.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aleph Null posted:

All I noticed was Jemma telling AIDA that she knew it wouldn't kill her, she just wanted to shoot her a bunch. That was pretty bad-rear end and really showed how far her character has come. Her and Fitz both have gone from lab geeks to very qualified field agents (who are also still lab geeks) and it is awesome.

Edit: goddammit spell-check - "bad-rear end" is a word!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Gemma's transformation into the last person you ever wanna gently caress with has been one of the most satisfying arcs of the series. Getting stranded on an alien planet really made a badass out of her.

Did you guys forget when she straight up murdered Bakshi? She's been ok for a while.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

twistedmentat posted:

My biggest problem is Medusa's hair isn't all moving and crazy. She does not once use it to choke someone out.

There was a quote from one of the producers saying that Medusa's hair looks like a lovely Halloween store wig in the promo pictures because they were gonna have some weird effects on it and make it look impressive.

Didn't see any of that in the trailer, just an awkward-looking woman with a lovely wig.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Gemma's transformation into the last person you ever wanna gently caress with has been one of the most satisfying arcs of the series. Getting stranded on an alien planet really made a badass out of her.

It's not like she was going to stay spineless forever or something. With Fitz's brain problems, The HYDRA double agent poo poo, becoming a certified field operative, the alien planet stranding and finding herself buried alive suddenly, she was gonna improve no matter what happened.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Phenotype posted:

There was a quote from one of the producers saying that Medusa's hair looks like a lovely Halloween store wig in the promo pictures because they were gonna have some weird effects on it and make it look impressive.

Didn't see any of that in the trailer, just an awkward-looking woman with a lovely wig.

vfx in even big budget movie trailers is frequently placeholder or not at all finalized so seeing stuff entirely missing in a leaked tv show spot doesn't really surprise me to any degree.

e: (That said, the trailer itself seemed entirely generic and :effort: so I'm not expecting to be blown away by the series)

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Did you guys forget when she straight up murdered Bakshi? She's been ok for a while.

She was aiming for Ward and Bakshi took the shot for him, as I recall. Either way, she was perfectly fine with using one of those creepy diviner disc weapons to reduce Ward to ash, so she's still cool.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

It's not like she was going to stay spineless forever or something. With Fitz's brain problems, The HYDRA double agent poo poo, becoming a certified field operative, the alien planet stranding and finding herself buried alive suddenly, she was gonna improve no matter what happened.

A far cry from the early days where I literally couldn't understand why they needed Fitz AND Simmons, it seemed utterly redundant and they did the same thing. Then again I also felt that way about Ward and May. And Skye was annoying.

This show definitely has gone straight up in quality since then.

ED: The Fitz Simmons thing was so bad in Season 1 several posters were behind the theory that Fitz or Simmons was a psychic projection of the other like that dude on Legion.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

A far cry from the early days where I literally couldn't understand why they needed Fitz AND Simmons, it seemed utterly redundant and they did the same thing. Then again I also felt that way about Ward and May. And Skye was annoying.

:shrug: Fitz was the tech guy and Simmons was basically the biologist/medic. And since they've known and worked in close proximity with each other for a while I couldn't say I was shocked that their fields of expertise ended up mixing together.

Plus, it's based on comic books, where if you're a scientist or engineer of any kind then you're basically qualified to do everything ever, as opposed to the real version, where people very knowledgeable at one subject thinks that remains the same for every one of them. :v:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: The Fitz Simmons thing was so bad in Season 1 several posters were behind the theory that Fitz or Simmons was a psychic projection of the other like that dude on Legion.

Funny that nobody saw it coming when they actually did that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blazing Ownager posted:

If you're talking about Cary and Keri she's not a projection, she literally lives inside his body

it's some serious business Multiple Man poo poo

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
I'm actually pretty hyped for Inhumans due to a combination of really liking the comic book Inhumans and having low standards for the crap I watch. That being said my favorite part of the trailer was Black Bolts' "Alright dog, where the hell are we, and is this day going to get any more bullshit." look right after they teleported. Like, whatever happened in the past few hours, he's just...done with today.

And didn't I see Triton somewhere in the 90s Power Rangers show? I could have sworn I saw him there. :D

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Season 4 is on Netflix now.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

wow marvel moved really fast on that series

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope that the special famous character that everyone knows from the comics this time is Blade.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

RareAcumen posted:

I hope that the special famous character that everyone knows from the comics this time is Blade.

Only if they bring back Wesley Snipes and say the original Blade trilogy was the true start of the MCU.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Green Tea Erotica posted:

Only if they bring back Wesley Snipes and say the original Blade trilogy was the true start of the MCU.

Sure, maybe. If he's up to it, I have no issue with it. I want Marvel to pay their respects, regardless.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I'd love to see Morbius the Living Vampire. They could think he's Darkholde-related, but nope, just mundane non-magical mad science.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
If they bring in Snipes I hope they make him do his parts with his eyes closed.

Also: I finally caught up on the last sixteen or so episodes a few weeks back. With all the talk of acting chops on display, my favorite bit of acting, and one I haven't seen mentioned, was real Ada's reaction to Fitz's revelation that he didn't love her. It was great.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Habibi posted:

If they bring in Snipes I hope they make him do his parts with his eyes closed.

Also: I finally caught up on the last sixteen or so episodes a few weeks back. With all the talk of acting chops on display, my favorite bit of acting, and one I haven't seen mentioned, was real Ada's reaction to Fitz's revelation that he didn't love her. It was great.

She's right up there with Ward for getting to play the most versions of herself and selling each one as unique.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Aleph Null posted:

I'd love to see Morbius the Living Vampire. They could think he's Darkholde-related, but nope, just mundane non-magical mad science.

Isn't he part of the Sony-owned Spider-man world?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Balon posted:

Isn't he part of the Sony-owned Spider-man world?

I think he's actually attached to the Blade IP.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

If you're talking about Cary and Keri she's not a projection, she literally lives inside his body

it's some serious business Multiple Man poo poo

Anyone not watching Legion probably should, it's a very.. very different kind of show but it's really pretty great.

That said I will never understand why they keep thinking Keri is their heavy hitter because literally anyone including "red shirt thugs" can beat the ever loving poo poo out of her.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Blazing Ownager posted:

Anyone not watching Legion probably should, it's a very.. very different kind of show but it's really pretty great.

That said I will never understand why they keep thinking Keri is their heavy hitter because literally anyone including "red shirt thugs" can beat the ever loving poo poo out of her.

I think it's just Keri that thinks that. I mean, that one dude carries a Tommy gun around. They aren't good at fighting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Sure, maybe. If he's up to it, I have no issue with it. I want Marvel to pay their respects, regardless.

He's done TV work, he was on that short lived show The Player last year.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Blazing Ownager posted:

Aleph Null posted:

I think it's just Keri that thinks that. I mean, that one dude carries a Tommy gun around. They aren't good at fighting.

Exactly. The only one of that group that has any sort of value in combat is wrist flick guy. They had a character that could make the air boil or something like that too, right? But they only showed up for one episode and they have the drawback of being prone to friendly fire.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kind of think it's intentional. Like they're all super dangerous mutants except none of them do anything you'd describe as a dangerous attack power so they're more like X-Men's support staff who got pressed into action. It plays to me like an intentional subversion of the X-Men trope.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

STAC Goat posted:

I kind of think it's intentional. Like they're all super dangerous mutants except none of them do anything you'd describe as a dangerous attack power so they're more like X-Men's support staff who got pressed into action. It plays to me like an intentional subversion of the X-Men trope.

This makes sense. I kind of like the X stories where there are weird, only-sort-of-useful mutants hanging around. The girl from Logan with cold breath, or Syd for that matter. Like, there are applications for what they can do, for sure...but only so many of them.

It also serves the plot of Legion that the team is otherwise pretty pitiful. Their investment in David comes from somewhere real. If David ever manages to sort his poo poo out and operate strategically, he's the difference between extinction and survival. A guy who reads memories is a gnat compared to a guy who can augment spacetime and break physics.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, they're like the predecessor to the X-Men. They're not superheroes or anything. They're just mutants who are broken and trying to help each other, but they're forced to defend themselves for all the same reasons Wolverine and Cyclops one day will be with actual powers that can help.

David's just kind of the bellwether or turning point.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, they're like the predecessor to the X-Men. They're not superheroes or anything. They're just mutants who are broken and trying to help each other, but they're forced to defend themselves for all the same reasons Wolverine and Cyclops one day will be with actual powers that can help.

David's just kind of the bellwether or turning point.

Except he's actually post x-men. since he was dropped off with his adoptive parents by Professor X himself. I don't remember if Prof-x is confirmed as his father, but that's how it is in the comics.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

kayakyakr posted:

Except he's actually post x-men. since he was dropped off with his adoptive parents by Professor X himself. I don't remember if Prof-x is confirmed as his father, but that's how it is in the comics.

Legion plays pretty fast and loose with the timing of it and its relationship to anything X-Men but it seems fairly clear that David's story is happening pretty early into any kind of mutant rising and social awareness and seemingly before anything as public and focused as the X-Men. I think they're purposely keeping it vague and won't make a connection but I think the most logical timing on this is that Xavier had David when he was in his 20s, dumped him off a couple of decades ago, and now he's middle aged and either collecting his own students in Westchester and ignoring his kid or will be inspired to do it by the events of Legion and rise of mutants.

At least that's my impression.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

STAC Goat posted:

Legion plays pretty fast and loose with the timing of it and its relationship to anything X-Men but it seems fairly clear that David's story is happening pretty early into any kind of mutant rising and social awareness and seemingly before anything as public and focused as the X-Men. I think they're purposely keeping it vague and won't make a connection but I think the most logical timing on this is that Xavier had David when he was in his 20s, dumped him off a couple of decades ago, and now he's middle aged and either collecting his own students in Westchester and ignoring his kid or will be inspired to do it by the events of Legion and rise of mutants.

At least that's my impression.

Maybe it's the Logan timeline and mutants are dying out/not as prevalent? Might as well let the two good Xmen things live in their own little pocket universe of quality

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the Legion people have been pretty clear that its not in the X-Men movie continuity.

As if there was any coherent continuity to the X-Men movies.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Looking great guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sYF1SXcWqQ

Hahah, not really. It looks like a TV show, filmed in Hawaii and set in Hawaii. Not really stretching the genre much there. Wonder if the pilot resembles what they planned for the movie in any way.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

I know, right? I mean they should have filmed in space. Slackers.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think the trailer looks alright, I'll give it a shot at least. It's only 8 episodes or something, right? So it's not like it'll be a large time investment.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I thought that Medusa's hair was supposed to look amazing once the CGI was done? It still looks like a poo poo-tier cosplay wig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Yeah I dunno, that trailer doesn't look too bad. But I say that being totally unfamiliar and having been under the impression this entire time that the 'Inhumans' series was going to follow AoS style inhumans, not the Inhumans, so what do I know.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 29, 2017

• Locked thread