Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

I'm gonna throw Biker Jim's out there for a lunch suggestion, because that menu.

A bunch of the breweries are in that general vicinity. The beer thread has a wiki for Colorado, but since three breweries have probably opened since I started this reply, it's likely out of date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

dead lettuce posted:

In Kona, 808 Grindz Cafe has the best loco mocos and was my favorite meal on the island, definitely the best food we had in otherwise touristy Kona.

On the other side of the island - Cafe 100 in Hilo is a classic for cheap fast food-style eats. We also ate at Kilauea Lodge in Volcano National Park which was a cool experience!

Thanks, but I missed out on both of these :( Next time!

For people that go, we ate at the following and they were all pretty dope-

Tex's Drive-in (northern coast of the island)
Poke to Your Taste (Hilo, it looks sketchy but trust me)
Hawaiian Style Cafe (Waimea, for breakfast)
Umeke's (Kona)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

But Not Tonight posted:

Gonna be in Denver next weekend with the mrs and I was hoping to get some opinions on places to go. We will eat pretty much anything so fire away with suggestions, and we're both into beer so brewery suggestions are welcome too.

E: Staying downtown, will have our own vehicle, arriving Friday afternoon and leaving Monday afternoon.

Biker Jim's Gourmet Dogs for a crazy variety of sausages made with wild game meats.
http://www.bikerjimsdogs.com/

Sam's No. 3 for a diner with a huge menu of American, Mexican, and Greek classic dishes.
http://samsno3.com/

Hauki
May 11, 2010

But Not Tonight posted:

Gonna be in Denver next weekend with the mrs and I was hoping to get some opinions on places to go. We will eat pretty much anything so fire away with suggestions, and we're both into beer so brewery suggestions are welcome too.

E: Staying downtown, will have our own vehicle, arriving Friday afternoon and leaving Monday afternoon.

Any specific budget or interests?
Biker jims is fine as mentioned. Work & class has a bunch of good small plates with a vaguely Mexican and/or Central American theme. Tacos Tequila & Whisky, formerly known as pinche tacos for hipster/white people tacos. La Calle for more traditional tacos. Queen of Sheba for Ethiopian, just be warned that it can sometimes take a while depending on how busy she is. Osteria Marco is semi-upscale italian with a bunch of house made cheese and cured meats. The burrata and the lonzo have always been good. Steuben's seems to be suffering from its own popularity these days, but it's decent diner-type food. Avanti is like an upscale food court with a decent bar. I pretty much only go there for arepas and whatever the southern place is called, the rest of the stalls have been disappointing.

For higher budgets, Acorn and Mercantile/Fruition are all good for either lunch/brunch or dinner. Acorn is also next to Crooked Stave if you're into sours. Beer-wise, you've got a ton of options depending on what you're interested in. Great divide is right near downtown as is River North. Along the actual river you've got like half a dozen more including Denver beer co. et al, and more across I25 from there. I like fiction's IPAs. Black Project seems to be the new hot poo poo if you love standing in line for hours with hipsters to buy a bottle of beer. It's probably less of a shitshow when they're not doing bottle releases.

If you want options or variety, Falling Rock has one of the best taplists with mediocre food and generally surly service. Freshcraft has decent food & decent taps. Hops & Pie is usually pretty chill, has a variety of good beer and decent pizza. I'm sure there's plenty of others I'm missing at this point.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Nephzinho posted:

Coming up one planned meal short in Paris, anyone have a good recommendation for our last dinner in town? We have done: l'as du fallafel, ambassade d'auvergne, candelaria, berthillon, and cidrerie du marais. We stopped into bar at the end of the world for drinks but not food (was very hot and crowded). We'll eat pretty much anything.

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm heading to Paris in about two months, and I'd love some general places I should check out as a solo 30-year-old male traveller.

(I'm quoting you so I can get some basic ideas as well).

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm heading to Paris in about two months, and I'd love some general places I should check out as a solo 30-year-old male traveller.

(I'm quoting you so I can get some basic ideas as well).

l'as du fallafel had great schwarma, ambassade d'auvergne was way too much food but their alligot was outstanding as was their chocolate mousse, candelaria was great carnitas and had a speakeasyish bar in the back, berthillon was a real nice sorbet to have on a walk, and cidrerie du marais had decent cider but great crepes. Not listed in my post was chez janou, which was the single place on the list that looked at us and knew we were american and stuck us in a corner - having said that their dinner was delicious and we were there for like 3 and a half hours enjoying the atmosphere (from afar). There were also a few meals where we walked into the nearest bakery, got some bread and cheese, and just sat somewhere with it.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

But Not Tonight posted:

Can't give you many suggestions for breweries but for food I'll dig up my old post:

Amergin posted:

Coffee:
Bardo (delicious sweet coffee drinks)
Crema Coffee House (this is the best quiche I’ve ever had, also great coffee, fruit juice and sandwiches)

Alcohol/Cocktails:
Golden Moon Speakeasy (the spot for cocktails in my opinion)
Acorn (lots of food/small plates but the cocktails and donuts should be what you get here - donuts sell out quick so it's better as a brunch day-drinking stop)

Dessert:
Sweet Action (tons of ice cream flavors, good variety and constantly changing)
Taste of Denmark (European pastries, the bear claws and almond bars are my favorites - may be closed at times in the summer when the family leaves for Denmark for vacation)
Little Man Ice Cream (usually we do Sweet Action but if we're in the neighborhood, we just deal with the wait here)
Sweet Cow

Real Food:
D'Deli (one of many good delis around but this one is my favorite, highly recommend the Aspen Buddha)
Old Major (just recently checked this one out, good charcuterie and great pork dishes)
Las Tortas (best tortas in town)
Brewery Bar II (rellenos and green chile, little dive bar, great respite from hipster Denver)
Sushi Den (still my favorite sushi place in town but to be honest you shouldn't be getting sushi in Denver)
Axios Estiatorio (Greek, heavy but good moussaka, pastitsio and dolmades)
Blackbelly Market
Linger (drinks and bun sliders)
Lao Wang if you want soup dumplings
Yabby Hut (cajun seafood)
Makan Malaysian Cafe (go for the tasting menu on Fridays & Saturdays if possible)
Queen of Sheba Ethiopian

Vietnamese
Vinh Xuong Bakery (banh mi, duck banh mi on weekends, good Vietnamese coffee)
New Saigon (banh mi, cane sugar drink)

Japanese
Uncle (good ramen, wings and apps but overpriced)
Domo (sushi and donburi)

Indian
Biju’s Little Curry Shop (curry bowls)
Masalaa (South Indian food)

Breakfast
Snooze (be prepared to wait)
Sassafras
Syrup
Devil’s Food
Denver Biscuit Company

If I had to choose a handful for your itinerary I'd say hit:
Snooze/Crema/Denver Biscuit Company/Sassafras for breakfasts
Brewery Bar II/Las Tortas/Old Major/Blackbelly Market/D'Deli/New Saigon for lunches/dinners
Sweet Action/Little Man (TBH just do Sweet Action, the wait at Little Man is insane)/Bardo Coffeehouse for dessert
Acorn or Golden Moon for drinks (with Golden Moon taking the edge here IMHO)

EDIT: I never had a chance to try Biker Jim's but I heard good things about it. Also Doghaus had pretty good hotdogs (they also use Hawaiian sweet rolls instead of hot dog buns and give you a fork and knife so define "hot dog").

EDIT2: Apart from Brewery Bar, Las Tortas, New Saigon and D'Deli most of these places are not cheap, but I don't remember any of them being > $50 for a meal for two without drinks except maybe Old Major and Blackbelly (and Acorn if you have a meal there).

Amergin fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 28, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Nephzinho posted:

l'as du fallafel had great schwarma, ambassade d'auvergne was way too much food but their alligot was outstanding as was their chocolate mousse, candelaria was great carnitas and had a speakeasyish bar in the back, berthillon was a real nice sorbet to have on a walk, and cidrerie du marais had decent cider but great crepes. Not listed in my post was chez janou, which was the single place on the list that looked at us and knew we were american and stuck us in a corner - having said that their dinner was delicious and we were there for like 3 and a half hours enjoying the atmosphere (from afar). There were also a few meals where we walked into the nearest bakery, got some bread and cheese, and just sat somewhere with it.

Thanks! I'm starting to think I might be there for at least a week (was thinking about visiting another city or two, but might just stay there for 1 1/2 weeks and do 3-4 days in Strasbourg since someone recommended Alsace to me) since there seem to be some organized day tours to Normandy and other memorial sites. In the meantime, I really want to see as much variety (local and otherwise) as I can. (I even told a friend of mine I'd check out a McDonald's just to see if they do actually call it a Royale with cheese).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

mojo1701a posted:

Thanks! I'm starting to think I might be there for at least a week (was thinking about visiting another city or two, but might just stay there for 1 1/2 weeks and do 3-4 days in Strasbourg since someone recommended Alsace to me) since there seem to be some organized day tours to Normandy and other memorial sites. In the meantime, I really want to see as much variety (local and otherwise) as I can. (I even told a friend of mine I'd check out a McDonald's just to see if they do actually call it a Royale with cheese).

Strasbourg is nice, be sure to hang round the old city and visit the canals for some cute wildlife. Also they might be having one of their night-time light shows at the big cathedral, check it out if you can.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I had kangaroo for the first time in Strasbourg when my now-wife was studying abroad there in '08. Other than that I don't remember food specifics other than that it was all very good and you should def go if you have a chance.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

C-Euro posted:

I had kangaroo for the first time in Strasbourg when my now-wife was studying abroad there in '08. Other than that I don't remember food specifics other than that it was all very good and you should def go if you have a chance.

Goddamn, the kangaroo meat got me sold. Remember where?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

These are some great suggestions, thank you very much! I was actually hoping to get a Ramen and Indian suggestion, definitely gonna try the soup dumpling place as well and we'll likely play it by ear for the rest.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

But Not Tonight posted:

These are some great suggestions, thank you very much! I was actually hoping to get a Ramen and Indian suggestion, definitely gonna try the soup dumpling place as well and we'll likely play it by ear for the rest.

Ramen, do Osaka, Uncle or Tokio I guess. So many new places are opening I can't keep up frankly. Bones was good too, but less traditional. Uncle can be pretty hipster, and I've had some pretty bad service there. Also absurdly long waits. Ototo/sushi den have good tantanmen only. Ototo has decent food otherwise too though.

Denver... doesn't have great Indian for the most part. Masalaa and bijus are maybe the exception. Bijus is more fast casual. Jai ho used to have specific dishes that were good, but I think they're gone. Sherpa House is decent, but Nepalese/Tibetan. If someone says little India is good, they're lying.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mojo1701a posted:

Goddamn, the kangaroo meat got me sold. Remember where?

I'm afraid I don't, this was a long time ago. It wasn't some sort of ritzy meal, I'm pretty sure it was their equivalent of like Panda Express or something (we were poor college kids after all). I think it had a purple color scheme? It was good for what it was but don't waste a bunch of time looking for it.

E: Oh yeah there was a conveyor belt sushi place in a mall that we really liked, but it's France so eat French food!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 30, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

C-Euro posted:

E: Oh yeah there was a conveyor belt sushi place in a mall that we really liked, but it's France so eat French food!

Well, thanks anyway.

Yeah, that's my plan right there, though I do love seeing other countries' takes on familiar food.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Cross-posting from the Europe thread in Travel.

Any recommendations for restaurants in Oslo? No dietary restrictions, not sure about budget as there's a lot of us, but it's for multiple birthdays so I think we can afford a good one that isn't absurd levels of expensive.

Edit: checked with them, we can afford a lower priced Michelin star restaurant or two, if any exist

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Lower priced for Oslo or for somewhere else?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Waci posted:

Lower priced for Oslo or for somewhere else?

Lower priced for Michelin starred restaurants, I'd say. I don't think my friends would be able to afford something $300/head, but something where they can enjoy themselves for around $100 should be good.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Semi-related question: has anyone used AirBnB's "experiences"?

I'm asking because a fair number are food-related, and they seem to include a chef as a guide for example, so I thought I'd ask about them in general.

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

Jota posted:

You have two of the best places in the city near you in Old City in Fork and Zahav. Zahav is a Michael Solomonov place and is really good Israeli/Middle Eastern food. Try and reserve the whole lamb shoulder if you can. He also has a new place in Center City called Abe Fisher which is supposed to be food from the Jewish diaspora. In my opinion Vernick is probably the best restaurant in the city and is in Center City around 20th and Walnut. Definitely get there if you can. You're not to far from Chinatown and the Reading Terminal Market either for more casual stuff.

I didn't want to make like a wall of text so this was kind of basic but if you want to know anything more let me know and I'd be glad to try and help you out.

Quoting a post from two years ago to say that, seriously Zahav is loving incredible

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Argue posted:

Lower priced for Michelin starred restaurants, I'd say. I don't think my friends would be able to afford something $300/head, but something where they can enjoy themselves for around $100 should be good.

Kontrast is the only Michelin starred place in Oslo where I wouldn't expect the bill to be much above that even if you try to keep things simple. Eik and Stadholderen's basement (different menu than the main establishment upstairs) aren't quite Michelin starred but might also be relevant. Smalhans is good and relatively cheap (especially with groups) but not as fancy if you're celebrating.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Robert Plant posted:

Quoting a post from two years ago to say that, seriously Zahav is loving incredible

Quoting your quote of a two-year old post to say that I still haven't been there :negative: Wife got a new higher-paying job and now wants to merge bank accounts so hopefully we'll go over there soon.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
If anyone's ever in Catonsville, MD - just outside the Baltimore beltway - check out Franco's Italian bistro. It's this adorable, cozy little restaurant with a bar and some fantastic pasta. I recommend the pappardelle with bolognese sauce, but their blush sauce is good too.

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

C-Euro posted:

Quoting your quote of a two-year old post to say that I still haven't been there :negative: Wife got a new higher-paying job and now wants to merge bank accounts so hopefully we'll go over there soon.

Keep in mind that you might be met with a pretty decent wait list, but it's totally worth it. The only other suggestion I'd make beforehand is to just keep an open mind and try whatever they say offer you. Two truly excellent things I had there were fried lamb tongues and pan roasted duck hearts

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey guys I'm going to be driving through northwest Indiana next week. Anyone unfortunate enough to be familiar with that area? Good places to eat in Indi and westward?

Pen Express
Sep 23, 2009
Any recommendations for Grand Rapids? I live here, but between work and obligations I don't get out much. Something in the $$ range where I can drink with friends.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If you like beer there are a poo poo load of breweries in GR, though I couldn't tell you which one is best. I like Founders beer at least, try that?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Any good recommendations for Toronto? I'll be there for 10 days beginning of August.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

angor posted:

Any good recommendations for Toronto? I'll be there for 10 days beginning of August.

Wvrst for a remarkable variety of German sausages and duck-fat-fried fries, Astoria Shish Kebob House for great Greek food.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wvrst for a remarkable variety of German sausages and duck-fat-fried fries, Astoria Shish Kebob House for great Greek food.

Awesome, thanks!

Here's what I've got so far - feel free to suggest other stuff or tear down anything I've put up :D.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GXJOmyElYAghzfZA2gpFC5K2dDI&usp=sharing

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

angor posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Here's what I've got so far - feel free to suggest other stuff or tear down anything I've put up :D.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GXJOmyElYAghzfZA2gpFC5K2dDI&usp=sharing

I'm just recommending based on a recent trip, I'm not a Toronto native. Will have to check some of yours out when I'm back for a visit.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I asked about Oslo a few posts up, but I'm also going to Flam and Bergen, then Stockholm, Copenhagen, and Amsterdam later on. Also a lot of Iceland but we're not going to be in any one city/town more than a night so it might be tougher to go out of our way there.

Any further recommendations? We're open to all recommendations, cheap or expensive, as we'll be discussing all the options anyway.

Incidentally, are any of these cities known for really good [specific food]?

Argue fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 12, 2017

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Quoting myself from earlier when someone was asking about Stockholm. Mostly fine dining since that was the topic then.

Waci posted:

Traditional(-ish) Nordic (not necessarily particularly traditional, but does not include waifish blond man whispering to you about foraging): Ulla Winbladh (high-quality Swedish grandma food), Oaxen Slip, Den Gyldene Freden, Rolfs kök, Mathias Dahlgren Matbaren (Predominantly but not exclusively Nordic, used to be the casual alternative to the chef's now-closed fine dining flagship).

New Nordic (may include tall blond hipster): Oaxen Krog (probably the best restaurant in Stockholm until Frantzén finishes relocating), Volt, Gastrologik (pretentious even for Scandinavian fine dining)

Other fine dining (may fall into above category depending on how pedantic you feel): Ekstedt (meat), Rutabaga (not meat)

Fusion (read: modern Nordic but stealing tricks from Japanese cuisine, complementary forest-whispering may contain additional weeb): Frantzén (if they re-open by the time you get here, previously best-in-Sweden), Esperanto

Other things: Green Rabbit (bakery/cafe, get an open-faced shrimp sandwich of some sort), Pharmarium (Cocktail bar first, good generally Nordic-ish food pairings for the cocktail menu second), Fjäderholmarnas Krog (Go some day when the weather is good, the food isn't bad but the view is better. Day/weekend trip to the archipelago is also the most authentic bougie Stockholmare experience you can get).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

angor posted:

Banh Mi Boys

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

drgitlin posted:

Banh Mi Boys

It's on the map! And probably the first place I'll hit up.

Does anyone else have weird things they like to do in a new city/country? My first meal is usually a sandwich (a banh mi if I can find one) and a local beer. I also have this strange compulsion to try and eat Ethiopian food in as many countries as I can because Ethiopian food owns.

angor fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 14, 2017

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
My companion and I are major foodies and enjoy active city trips with a big gastronomic part and will be visiting New York City soon. Commonly, we walk around the city the whole day and go for a very nice fine dining experience in the evening. We try to find local spots and places that are harder to find back home or that are world-known to be superb. In London, for example, we had a world famous ice-cream for lunch (don't judge ;-) ) and in the evening enjoyed a michelin-starred Indian, which we cannot find in our own neighborhood, and managed to do something similar for a couple of days straight. It was a great experience to do multiple diverse fine dining restaurants over several days and get to enjoy cuisines and styles we don't have back home (Belgium).
So, we enjoy unique/known places and fine-dining restaurants with tasting menu's. We enjoy every type of cuisine (Asian, vegetarian, nordic, special, ... ), nothing is out-of-bounds, and generally go for those more unique experiences. Our budget allows for all possible options. What would you recommend for NYC?

Kalenden fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 18, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Where's home? Where have you already been?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

Where's home? Where have you already been?

Sorry, I am beyond retarded. We are visiting NYC and come from Belgium.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Kalenden posted:

Sorry, I am beyond retarded. We are visiting NYC and come from Belgium.

Are you interested in awesome/rare beer? Bring a few 750ml bottles of Cantillon with you. That stuff is like GOLD in the US. Great for trading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I'll be in Colorado Springs for my BF's birthday and I want to take him somewhere decent but not too pricey. I've had a lot of unexpected expenses the last couple months (major plumbing issue in the house, very sick dog, major car repairs to pass inspection) so I'm going for something that will be under $100 for the two of us including 1-2 drinks if possible. Any recommendations? He likes tacos and sushi.