Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Conor has a bunch of Instagram pics he posted over the lasd couple of days and his hands are down in a lot of em.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV0Kx1RAw3m/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BV0J_pAg755/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BV0J2K8AYF7/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Man that right hook orthodox captioned picture is just really bad.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe ducking and intentionally getting tangled under the ropes. Or if your John Ruiz, clinching forever.

Seems like most guys who want out of a boxing match but don't want to quit just start fouling in progressively more obvious fashion.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Here's the full fight of Mayweather vs Guerrero. Guerrero is close to the same height as Conor and has a slightly shorter reach as a southpaw. There's a chance in the first couple rounds that Conor can follow this game plan if Floyd comes out flat footed and stands in front of him....But it's real doubtful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww0XkiFb0LU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I think that Conor will do a little better than people expect, mostly in the early rounds. He might just try to swarm Floyd, clinch a lot, make it a gritty fight, and hope that he can catch Floyd with some miracle KO punch. But he will definitely lose the fight and probably by TKO at that. There's just no way that he doesn't get exhausted and eat tons of shots once Floyd figures him out in a few rounds and picks apart his poor defense. He will brag about how he did better than anyone expected an MMA fighter to do and will retire to enjoy all that money he's going to make.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point

Queering Wheel posted:

I think that Conor will do a little better than people expect, mostly in the early rounds. He might just try to swarm Floyd, clinch a lot, make it a gritty fight, and hope that he can catch Floyd with some miracle KO punch. But he will definitely lose the fight and probably by TKO at that. There's just no way that he doesn't get exhausted and eat tons of shots once Floyd figures him out in a few rounds and picks apart his poor defense. He will brag about how he did better than anyone expected an MMA fighter to do and will retire to enjoy all that money he's going to make.

actually Conor is going to disappear and then reappear and KO Floyd with a right hook

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, Conor doesn't even have good defence by the low standards of MMA striking.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I dunno if that's a fair statement. Nate Diaz is a very good MMA striker and unorthodox as hell, he's not really been boxed up besides that.

Basically, the bar for good defence by MMA standards is extremely low.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 28, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

kimbo305 posted:

I would put Floyd in the Bhop school of defensive genius, and going by that yardstick, would need to age him 2 decades.

mcgregor fighting bhop and getting repeatedly punched in the dick until he loses would be raelly good

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I dunno if that's a fair statement. Nate Diaz is a very good MMA striker and unorthodox as hell, he's not really been boxed up besides that.

Basically, the bar for good defence by MMA standards is extremely low.

Mendes, Poirier and 12 year old Max Holloway all landed on him repeatedly. His chin was/is really good. Diaz is just the only one tough enough to weather the storm.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well that's because nate diaz is three times his size.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

And here is Robert Guerrero talking about fighting Mayweather and why Conor has no shot:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-floyd-mayweather-foe-explains-conor-mcgregor-will-struggle-despite-southpaw-advantage-211907349.html

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I mean, I suppose there's a chance Floyd might be struck by lightning 0.1 seconds into the first round and give Conor the TKO

A congenital heart defect has felled Mayweather, moments before he could step into the ring

Whats the undercard gonna be? Muhammed Ali vs Anti lock Brakes? Every time I see Floyd's own social media coverage of his training I think back to the beginning of Rocky 3. But Conor is hardly Clubber Lang. Still, the parallels speak to the gross descent of the sport

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Gay Horney posted:

Conor has a bunch of Instagram pics he posted over the lasd couple of days and his hands are down in a lot of em.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV0Kx1RAw3m/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BV0J_pAg755/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BV0J2K8AYF7/

It's not that unusual for him in that he likes keeping his hands super low in MMA. Sometimes he gets hit, but he mostly gets away with it by having dumb long reach and using a long Karate/Tae Kwon Do stance to be even further away. But for a boxing match it's almost certainly a horrible idea.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I for one am looking forward to the match in .gif form.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

attackmole posted:

It's not that unusual for him in that he likes keeping his hands super low in MMA. Sometimes he gets hit, but he mostly gets away with it by having dumb long reach and using a long Karate/Tae Kwon Do stance to be even further away. But for a boxing match it's almost certainly a horrible idea.

Having your hands down in front of Floyd Mayweather is not going to turn out well for McGregor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If Conor leans back and takes a punch on the shoulder, that's a moral and immediate victory for him. If.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
And if he punches Floyd May Weather in his jaw, brutally and conclusively KOing him.... that will be a regular, non moral victory for him.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

in a twist of fate, mayweather fouls and then drops his hands to apologize and mayweather clocks him, says "protect yourself at all times"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

in a twist of fate, mayweather fouls and then drops his hands to apologize and mayweather clocks him, says "protect yourself at all times"

Typo(?) makes it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Was a typo, but you're right, its better that way.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Conor is going to perform a rap while he punches Floyd Badweather to within an inch of his life. Then there will be no doubt who the GOAT boxer/mma/rapper in the world is.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Conor McGregor getting hit in the face with a pizza after getting knocked out by Andre Berto is a world I can live in

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If this fight ends like Mayweather-Ortiz did it will be well worth the asking price of $100 to see.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

See I was originally imagining a reversal of that, but by saying Mayweather twice it seems like Mayweather is dropping his own hands but somehow still suckering Conor, something I'm sure could happen for real.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

It seems we have all forgotten the classic fights between Bob Sapp and Ernesto Hoost.

Even the best of their craft will fall to the might of Charisma.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

It's a drat shame all these people willing to put money on McGregor in 1:1 personal bets and yet none of them live near me

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Spy in Conor's camp sees him practicing leg kicks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kimbo305 posted:

Spy in Conor's camp sees him practicing leg kicks.

This reminds me of Sylvia v Mercer. They tried to get it sanctioned as a boxing match at first, but the AC wouldn't license Silvia to box, so they got it in MMA instead. They had a gentleman's agreement that it was going to be a 100% standing fight with no kicks thrown. That's why Ray gives Tim the disgruntled look before bopping him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo&t=9s

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Mr. Nice! posted:

This reminds me of Sylvia v Mercer. They tried to get it sanctioned as a boxing match at first, but the AC wouldn't license Silvia to box, so they got it in MMA instead. They had a gentleman's agreement that it was going to be a 100% standing fight with no kicks thrown. That's why Ray gives Tim the disgruntled look before bopping him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo&t=9s

That guy can leap

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

after being punched in the head a lot conor is going to tackle floyd and they'll gently caress

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

That guy can leap

my favorite part is how he swims in for the BRH, and then immediately follows up with a takedown.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

It's a drat shame all these people willing to put money on McGregor in 1:1 personal bets and yet none of them live near me

I'm up to $200 now.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is pulling guard considered a knockdown or a slip? asking for my small irish friend.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

1st AD posted:

my favorite part is how he swims in for the BRH, and then immediately follows up with a takedown.
it looks more like a toddler scampering into a mcdonalds playland ballpit

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

TheRationalRedditor posted:

it looks more like a toddler scampering into a mcdonalds playland ballpit

lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/880546986277130240

This is starting to look like RouseyBoxing.gif

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't know poo poo about boxing but it looks like he loses his balance at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Surely that's not full speed? Like he's slowing down for pacing or because he's tired or something?

• Locked thread